Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Sentinel Red posted:

I'd be totally fine with that because let's face it: Peter Parker is the least interesting Spider-Man out there. Kaine, Miles, Otto, Jess, Ult Jess, Spider-Gwen, Anya...they're all much more fun to read about. Most of Peter's best moments of late have all come from his interacting with other heroes in various team books, stories centered around him are all played out, same old same old.

Parker is only the least interesting Spider when he's written poorly. Of course, therein lies a different set of problems [see thread title]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
So there are at least three Spider-Man 2099's, right? The one from the original run who eventually became Thor, the one from exiles who quit and ended up with some alternate reality version of either MJ or Gwen (I forget which), and now the time traveler.

The Goon
Sep 11, 2001

They're replacing Peter again?

What does it say about the way your flagship character is written that they can't even keep him in his own drat book for less than a year before switching him out again? Goddammit Marvel.

Spider-Gwen, She-Thor, Falcap, Ter'rist Cyclops, rear end in a top hat Tony, Illuminati on the run....more and more I'm thinking Marvel is throwing everything against the wall to see what sticks before doing a full-on 616 reboot.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

The Goon posted:

What does it say about the way your flagship character is written that they can't even keep him in his own drat book for less than a year before switching him out again? Goddammit Marvel.

Spider-Gwen, She-Thor, Falcap, Ter'rist Cyclops, rear end in a top hat Tony, Illuminati on the run....more and more I'm thinking Marvel is throwing everything against the wall to see what sticks before doing a full-on 616 reboot.

I'm wagering more of a quieter shift of status quo, similar to Dark Reign. And by quieter it's just not going to have a huge loving banner at the top of each issue (with the exception of Hulk, where there's a Banner in every issue).

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Goon posted:

Just a rumor for now. I think it's probably bogus since the guy did only just get back.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

The Goon posted:

Please don't believe things Rich Johnston says. Please don't believe that any main character changes are anything other than temporary sales boosts.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Its only plausible if you think about how Slott has written all he's able to think of when it comes to writing Peter Parker. Maybe he will switch Peter's Brain with Silvermane next! :v:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I don't think I'd even mind a soft reboot from Marvel. I'm sure they could avoid New 52 problems.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

WickedHate posted:

I don't think I'd even mind a soft reboot from Marvel. I'm sure they could avoid New 52 problems.

Oh don't go saying things like that. I'm sure there are plenty of people who thought the New 52 was not only a good idea but sure to work perfectly when it was announced.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

TwoPair posted:

Oh don't go saying things like that. I'm sure there are plenty of people who thought the New 52 was not only a good idea but sure to work perfectly when it was announced.

The N52 was born from trying to desperately save the DC's business in comic books. I'm not saying it's what Marvel should do now or that it'll fix every problem or something, but I liked stuff like Ultimate Spider-Man and the original Ultimate X-Men. Something like those stories would be pretty neat.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I'd need to know if bringing Peter back gave the expected numbers bump and if so how long the bump lasted to decide if it was a real possibility.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
It wouldn't be a completely terrible idea to maintain at least a single series set in the MCU. Fury's Big Week managed to add some fun stuff, like inserting Black Widow at Hulk's campus rampage. I doubt that kind of thing would happen, though, or we'd get some weird attempt like that mini with Fury's son and Phil "Cheese" Coulson.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

WickedHate posted:

The N52 was born from trying to desperately save the DC's business in comic books. I'm not saying it's what Marvel should do now or that it'll fix every problem or something, but I liked stuff like Ultimate Spider-Man and the original Ultimate X-Men. Something like those stories would be pretty neat.

I'd rather they reboot Ultimate completely but maybe have Miles carry over from the old universe. I think outside of USM that universe has too many broken toys to succeed.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I don't know if it's still around but for years after Batman: TAS there was a comic companion/continuation of it. All I really want is that but for Spectacular Spider-Man.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
"Spider-Man and the X-Men" is supposed to be launching out of "Death of Wolverine", so they're probably not kicking Spider-Man out of the universe any time soon.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

The Goon posted:

That was kind of nonsense when you brought it up in the Avengers thread and it's still nonsense here, man.

Dacap posted:

I'd rather they reboot Ultimate completely but maybe have Miles carry over from the old universe. I think outside of USM that universe has too many broken toys to succeed.

Really, does Miles need the rest of the Ultimate universe? It'd be fine if you just had him running around in his own book and that was the full extent of the line, much in the same way that Mayday Parker outlasted the rest of MC2.

The Goon
Sep 11, 2001

Wanderer posted:

That was kind of nonsense when you brought it up in the Avengers thread and it's still nonsense here, man.

They apparently just announced the cancellation of Fantastic Four as well. I'm saying that they're making a helluva lot of major changes to their major characters all at the same time, and it points to something going on because there is no way that any of this is permanent. Is it nonsense to point it out? Just because Marvel's never done it before doesn't preclude them from ever doing it in the future.

Or maybe they're going to do something no one expects, like an inverse ultimate universe creation event, where a new world becomes the main Marvel universe with movie-aligned franchise headers while the 616 becomes the new alternate universe. Something is up though.

The Goon fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Oct 6, 2014

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Chaos Hippy posted:

"Spider-Man and the X-Men" is supposed to be launching out of "Death of Wolverine", so they're probably not kicking Spider-Man out of the universe any time soon.

Rumors are that it'll have a revolving guest star, like Batman and Robin after Damian's death.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:

WickedHate posted:

Rumors are that it'll have a revolving guest star, like Batman and Robin after Damian's death.
I would be kind of interested to see that. That sounds a lot like what Cable & Deadpool became in its last few issues after Marvel yanked Cable away to go do something else.

God, do I miss Deadpool's original supporting cast.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

The Goon posted:

They apparently just announced the cancellation of Fantastic Four as well. I'm saying that they're making a helluva lot of major changes to their major characters all at the same time, and it points to something going on because there is no way that any of this is permanent. Is it nonsense to point it out?

I've been thinking about this since you brought it up in the other thread, actually, and it really is not as spectacular as you're making it out to be. Marvel has consistently been pretty crazy about the illusion of change, and the current shakeups do not represent a particularly remarkable amount of them at once.

Let's take Spider-Man as an example, since we're in the Spider-Man thread at the moment, and trace him back through the years as an exercise. I'm going to look at the issue lists on Spiderfan.org just to be on the safe side.

October 2014: Spider-Man is Peter Parker, founder and CEO of "Parker Industries."
October 2009: Spider-Man is Peter Parker, single, perpetually broke, freelance photographer, rooming with Michelle Gonzales, and a member of "Bucky Cap's" outlaw New Avengers. Aunt May and Jonah Senior just got married. We're into post-OMD so the secret identity is back in the bag.
October 2004: Part 2 of "Sins Past." Peter is still married to Mary Jane, teaching high school chemistry at Midtown High, and dealing with the Stacy-Osborn twins. Aunt May isn't in this but she knows about Peter being Spider-Man and is supportive.
October 1999: Peter and Mary Jane are married; Jill Stacy hangs out with MJ a lot; Peter is working part-time at "Tri-Corp." Howard Mackie/John Byrne/basically unreadable.
October 1994: Early Clone Saga, motherfuckers. The disease is already inside of you.
October 1989: Peter and MJ are married; MJ is trying to quit smoking; we're into the period of time when Michelinie could not stop loving talking about Venom every month. MJ is making a go of it as a model at this point and I believe Peter was trying to finish grad school.
October 1984: It's the DeFalco/Frenz period. This is the issue where MJ tells Peter she knows he's Spider-Man. Peter is a freelance photographer, he's in the black suit and Puma's in this issue kicking the Christ out of him.

This example dodges a bullet by inexplicably avoiding the entire period in which Ben is wearing the suit, which I could've sworn lasted longer than this, but this thirty-year span of time involves one marriage, one not-divorce, a costume change, five or six separate career changes, Aunt May dying once before coming back, Aunt May discovering Peter's secret identity, Peter joining the Avengers, Peter unmasking on national television, "One Moment in Time," a thick toxic vein of Venom running through the whole mess, MJ's pregnancy, Ben Reilly wearing the suit for a couple of years, and Spidey as a member of the Future Foundation.

The only remarkable thing about the degree of change at Marvel right now is how much of it involves new people taking up old masks, and even that was a pretty big thing in the '80s and '90s. If you were to sit down like this and chart the progression of all of Marvel's characters through the years, this would not seem particularly unusual.

Of course, if Marvel decides tomorrow that they're building up to a hard reset that will debut in 2016 or something, then I'm an idiot, you're right, and I'm sorry. That said, with what we know now and how the books are shaking down, this is not particularly unusual in the greater scheme of things.

Wanderer fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Oct 6, 2014

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
To use a snapshot of a year or two after DC did their first Crisis reboot and a young E&C had just started reading comics:

At this point in late 1987/early 1988:

Spider-Man had recently been killed by Kraven and revived and had just married Mary Jane. He'd been wearing the black costume primarily for about four years.

The Avengers were led by Monica Rambeau and had Black Knight, Namor, and Doctor Druid as prominent members.

Angel was dead. The rest of the founding X-Men were pretending to be bigoted mutant hunters. Xavier was in space. Magneto ran Xavier's school and the main X-Men were about to 'die' and start living secretly in Australia.

Daredevil was going to die in a few months.

Steve Rogers had been stripped of his title, so the new Captain America was a crazy Reaganite jingoistic thug. The Red Skull was dead, so the Serpent Society were Cap's new archvillains.

Reed and Sue had retired from superheroing to raise Franklin, so the NEW Fantastic Four was Thing, Torch, Crysal and Ms. Marvel. This was awkward because Johnny and Crystal were A Thing but Johnny was married to Alicia Masters and Crystal was married to Quicksilver. Next month Thing mutates into a spike monster.

Tony Stark had just reclaimed the Iron Man armor/title from James Rhodes, and was poised to go on a rampage taking back his armor technology from various rogue elements who had stolen it. He'll end up seemingly killing some folks doing it and will spend a fair amount of time estranged from his Avengers buddies. Oh and then next year he'll get shot in the spine by a stalker and be stuck in a wheelchair for a year or so.

Hulk is back to being gray and "Mister Fixit" and Rick Jones got hit with a second gamma bomb and can turn into a Hulk now and it turns out there's a whole town of weird gamma people.

That's what Marvel looked like 25 years ago when I started reading comics, and with all those BIG CHANGES people thought they might 'pull a Crisis' then too.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

The Goon posted:

They apparently just announced the cancellation of Fantastic Four as well. I'm saying that they're making a helluva lot of major changes to their major characters all at the same time, and it points to something going on because there is no way that any of this is permanent. Is it nonsense to point it out? Just because Marvel's never done it before doesn't preclude them from ever doing it in the future.

Or maybe they're going to do something no one expects, like an inverse ultimate universe creation event, where a new world becomes the main Marvel universe with movie-aligned franchise headers while the 616 becomes the new alternate universe. Something is up though.

It's nonsense. The "cancelling" Fantastic Four and devaluing them from a marketing standpoint is all to do with not owning the film rights and nothing to do with preparing for a reboot. It's the same way there's currently no X-Men cartoons, all Disney marketing.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
They have handled more complicated continuity by pretending it didn't happen.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Wanderer posted:

Really, does Miles need the rest of the Ultimate universe? It'd be fine if you just had him running around in his own book and that was the full extent of the line, much in the same way that Mayday Parker outlasted the rest of MC2.
So Miles gets his own book and just regularly guest-stars the Ultimate Universe survivors?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Chortles posted:

So Miles gets his own book and just regularly guest-stars the Ultimate Universe survivors?

Yeah, why not? Keep Bombshell and Jessica as part of the supporting cast alongside his dad, Kate and Ganke and just have the adventures of Miles in the Ultimate universe every month.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:
Honestly, if every Spider-Man title other than Amazing got replaced by totally self-contained titles about Miles, Mayday, Miguel and Spider-Gwen, I'd probably buy a lot more comics than I currently do.

EDIT: ↓↓↓ Oh, right.

Castomira fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Oct 6, 2014

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Castomira posted:

Honestly, if every Spider-Man title other than Amazing got replaced by totally self-contained titles about Miles, Mayday, Miguel and Spider-Gwen, I'd probably buy a lot more comics than I currently do.

Hey now, Kaine belongs on that list too.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
:stonk:

Amazing Spider-Man #7 was...not an enjoyable comic to read.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Hey, remember that Spider-Man cartoon with Iceman and Firestar you probably saw as a kid that was light-hearted? Know how it ends? The characters get brutally murdered and their pet howls in despair.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Codependent Poster posted:

Hey, remember that Spider-Man cartoon with Iceman and Firestar you probably saw as a kid that was light-hearted? Know how it ends? The characters get brutally murdered and their pet howls in despair.

......what?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

That's literally what happens. The bad guy goes to the Amazing Friends universe and murders the cast while Ms. Lion cries.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Yeah, I usually hate when people get angry over dark stuff in comics, but that was weirdly mean spirited and hosed up.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

WickedHate posted:

That's literally what happens. The bad guy goes to the Amazing Friends universe and murders the cast while Ms. Lion cries.

I thought you were joking but nope that's exactly what it was :stonk:

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I thought you were joking but nope that's exactly what it was :stonk:

So someone saw DC do this...

...and thought, "Ooooh, we should do the equivalent, but in Spider-Man." Is that what happened? That's pretty dumb.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I don't really have a beef with Slott the way other people here do, but yeah that was some garbage right there. I'm not even a fan of that show and it bums me out and makes me not want to read his comics ever.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's literally this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF02VoDQSd0

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Yeah, that bummed me out a little bit.

It did make me think of Geoff Johns.

vegeta dentata
Jun 16, 2011

Yeeeaaaaaaa... gently caress this guy

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Hahahahaha

Slott's Twitter posted:

Remember, True Believers, the bad guys HAVE to be bad... or there's not much point in fighting 'em, right?

You know.... comics.

Excelsior!

I somehow think it's possible to make the villain bad without resorting to slaughtering lighthearted cartoon characters you hack.

V----Wait what?

OldTennisCourt fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Oct 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

OldTennisCourt posted:

Hahahahaha

I somehow think it's possible to make the villain bad without resorting to slaughtering lighthearted cartoon characters you hack.
Or maybe without slaughtering a bunch of innocent people in a burger place a month after Sandy Hook.

• Locked thread