Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

HonorableTB posted:

:stonk: Good god that would be terrifying for a non-native to try and navigate

It's related to the fact that all of Japan's railways are privatized so there's like eight competing railway companies serving the Tokyo metro area and that map is showing them all at once.

Also yes it's terrifying. I've been to Tokyo a bunch of times and never used the Tokyo subway because all the places I've wanted to be have been served by JR or Keikyu trains. I wonder what the subway is like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

HonorableTB posted:

:stonk: Good god that would be terrifying for a non-native to try and navigate, and I thought Moscow's was pretty awful when I lived there:

Moscow has gotta be one of the more logical of the larger subway systems, too, thanks to that circle line.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Never actually used it, but New York City Subway is my favorite subway. Though the station names are awful and unimaginative.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
How confusing/hard to naviguate do people find the Paris Metro? I think it's pretty straighforward but I'm very used to it, so maybe I'm not objective. I really like the original names though.

http://www.ratp.fr/informer/pdf/orienter/f_plan.php

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

HonorableTB posted:

:stonk: Good god that would be terrifying for a non-native to try and navigate
I'm sure the actual Tokyo subway system maps are much easier to parse. It's probably just not a system that fits well into that cutesy symmetrical-with-focus-on-circles style that particular artist uses.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Barcelona's public transportation owns and it's gonna own even harder once they connect the two tram networks through Avinguda Diagonal and finish lines 9 and 10.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Ditocoaf posted:

I'm sure the actual Tokyo subway system maps are much easier to parse. It's probably just not a system that fits well into that cutesy symmetrical-with-focus-on-circles style that particular artist uses.

Also as I said that map is not showing just the subway system. It's a combined map of all the rail services in the Tokyo metro area. Including JR, Keio, Keikyu and so on.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
:ca:

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

HonorableTB posted:

:stonk: Good god that would be terrifying for a non-native to try and navigate, and I thought Moscow's was pretty awful when I lived there:

This looks extremely logical and easy to follow. The circle is great.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

They built a bunch of new apartments in Irvington in anticipation of the BART station, but they apparently decided to pass Irvington over :sigh:

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.

The Pittsburgh "T" aka: "People in Mt.Lebanon and Bethel Park Don't Want to Park Downtown or at the Stadium."

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Belgrade metro:

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
:scotland:

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

if only

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

The first time I boarded Berlin's S-bahn system, I was a dumb American who had very little experience with public transportation and got my dumbass lost :downs:

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Oct 9, 2014

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /maps/berlin.gif on this server.

Well fine I didn't want to see your stupid map.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
All these Tube maps and no-one's posted the original?

And today

3peat
May 6, 2010

Ditocoaf posted:

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

BART owns, and is easily the most decipherable map posted yet.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

That looks more like a metro map for Kowloon Walled City.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Funny that even today Kowloon City doesn't have an MTR stop. You've gotta take a minibus from Kowloon Tong or Wong Tai Sin.

The MTR is relatively simple because Hong Kong is dense as hell and was deliberately developed along thin rail corridor strips.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

JosefStalinator posted:

BART owns, and is easily the most decipherable map posted yet.

But that's largely because BART has lovely coverage within core areas (like SF, Oakland, and Berkeley). It's not a bad system, but it's pretty much a hybrid metro/commuter rail system. It acts like commuter rail in the suburbs, with just one or two stations in any given town, but has a lot more/closer together stations within SF, Oakland and Berkeley, like a metro system. It focuses more on the commuter aspect overall though, so you have poor coverage within individual cities. It's only useful for travelling within SF if you live within several blocks of mission street or market street where it goes through downtown, for example....which covers what, just 20% of the city? So you still have to take the bus, or light rail, or walk or whatever afterwards, if you're going to most places in SF via BART. Thankfully they're expanding to SJ finally, and also have conceptual plans for new lines in SF/Oakland/Berkeley (as you can see in the map, though there's more that's not shown) and a second Transbay tube between SF and Oakland (which would all be amazing, and it would finally act like a proper metro system within SF and Oakland/Berkeley). But those new lines are going to be insanely expensive and there's no money for any of it. :argh:

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Behold Vienna's five subway lines.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

Riso posted:

Five??? What sort of excess is that; you don't need five subway lines!

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

I win.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Behold the Helsinki metro.

There are a lot tram lines and trains ok, don't judge.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Now to scale!

London

NYC

Shanghai

BART + MUNI

Barcelona

Tokyo

Moscow

Paris

Berlin

(http://fakeisthenewreal.org/subway/)

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Shbobdb posted:

Given the absolute dominance of Paris, would a more federalized system even make sense for France? I get that it is kinda tautological, Paris is absolutely culturally and politically dominant because Paris is absolutely culturally and politically dominant, but isn't that also really true?

I don't know about a federal system but a bit of decentralization in certain areas would be pretty nice. Paris is absolutely politically dominant but from the far end of Finisterre it feels pretty culturally distant.

Riso posted:

Behold Rennes' single line.

Although in a few years* there will be a second.

*probably by 2018 or 2020 or who the gently caress knows when oh god there's nowhere to park because of the construction.

Soviet Commubot fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 9, 2014

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

This is subway, tram/subway streetcars and one bus line, for whatever reason.

Note the horizontal coast line in the image. Maps of The Hague will often have this, or a straight north-south coast line, even though neither make sense. It just makes for neater maps.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Sorry to divert from underground spaghetti chat, but I just saw these posted elsewhere and figured they belong here too:

After a bit of googling, I also found this one:

Notice the year, and check out Ukraine.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Here, since we're posting examples of transit systems, have Atlanta's horrible abortion of a rail network:

I live about a five minute walk from the North Avenue station.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

BART + MUNI

Hey man, that's not a map of BART + Muni lines, that's a map of BART + the portions of Muni that are in a subway (plus a tiny section of above ground Muni track getting shown in mission bay, for some reason). :colbert:

Here's a Muni map (you better like buses and not stupid faggy dumb trains):

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Rah! posted:

Hey man, that's not a map of BART + Muni lines, that's a map of BART + the portions of Muni that are in a subway (plus a tiny section of above ground Muni track getting shown in mission bay, for some reason). :colbert:

Here's a Muni map (you better like buses and not stupid faggy dumb trains):

I presume the artist only used the parts of MUNI that aren't regularly broken. :downsrim:

But it does go to show how physically huge BART is compared to other systems.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

I presume the artist only used the parts of MUNI that aren't regularly broken. :downsrim:

If that were the case, there would be no map at all :negative:

And yeah, BART is pretty expansive. There's just not enough coverage in the core areas.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

EricBauman posted:

This is subway, tram/subway streetcars and one bus line, for whatever reason.

Note the horizontal coast line in the image. Maps of The Hague will often have this, or a straight north-south coast line, even though neither make sense. It just makes for neater maps.

- Those aren't subway lines. The Hague has no subway. Those four lines are part of the Light Rail network. They may go overground or underground in places, in other places they use the regular tram rails.

- The reason for the one bus line is because it's a replacement for Tram 9 to Scheveningen, which isn't running until december because of construction work.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

Dear God you fool. What have you done? You've mentioned Romania. Now we'll never hear the end of it.

Now I fully expect 3peat to give a full rundown of Romania's collective opinion on each of these countries and hope to see an expansion to the rest of the world's countries.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Carbon dioxide posted:

- Those aren't subway lines. The Hague has no subway. Those four lines are part of the Light Rail network. They may go overground or underground in places, in other places they use the regular tram rails.

- The reason for the one bus line is because it's a replacement for Tram 9 to Scheveningen, which isn't running until december because of construction work.

ok ok, the lighter part in the middle of the city, that's where four of those lines go underground for two stops. Quit making my city look bad!

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

my dad posted:

After a bit of googling, I also found this one:

Notice the year, and check out Ukraine.

That map gets Transdniester wrong...

Edit: never mind, I didn't see it got its own color.

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 9, 2014

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What backwards countries build trains on the ground or even under it, then entrusts its safety to fallible bags of meat?? The future is about SKY TRAINS, run by perfect thinking machines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
You need to go back and check how they're numbered.