Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

moravec posted:

Already up to $2 online, and Temple of Malady is spiking as well.
I built b/g constellation back in rav/theros for like $45 so hearing that these cards are spiking makes me a happy trader!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I just remembered that I have a date tomorrow night but I also want to play wizard poker. Any tips/tricks? I could possibly do a mrs. Doubt fire routine cuz there's a restaurant next door. drat I knew playing slow control decks would get the better of me one of these days.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Chill la Chill posted:

I just remembered that I have a date tomorrow night but I also want to play wizard poker. Any tips/tricks? I could possibly do a mrs. Doubt fire routine cuz there's a restaurant next door. drat I knew playing slow control decks would get the better of me one of these days.

Multi-tabling is fine, all the pros on MODO do it.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

bring your date to play wizard poker, obviously

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Elyv posted:

bring your date to play wizard poker, obviously

Yup. Tell her you have another social engagement but it will go faster if she wears a low cut top. Sure to be an excellent date and a 3-0 night at FNM.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ok so I get the impression that what you guys are saying is to do mrs. Doubt fire but wear a wizard robe instead.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

what oh my god don't do this it sounds super rude

Just don't play magic tomorrow night and focus on your date instead. god, this loving thread.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

a dozen swans posted:

Just don't play magic tomorrow night and focus on your date instead. god, this loving thread.

Don't listen to this loser, you'll never get on the pro tour with that attitude. Make them come to the game store and watch every match you play.

Edit: also, you wear the Mrs. doubtfire outfit, make your date wear the wizard robes. That should end well.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

a dozen swans posted:

The dude has less than a page of posts in this thread, and thousands of posts in BYOB.

What I'm saying is that clearly Chill la Chill needs to liveblog his date as he runs back and forth between gaming store and restaurant.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Chill la Chill posted:

Ok so I get the impression that what you guys are saying is to do mrs. Doubt fire but wear a wizard robe instead.
Yes. Bonus points if your date is also planning this but at a different FNM.

Or the same FNM.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

a dozen swans posted:

naw man, you play magic so that your date will understand that your priorities are in order

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Enchant creature - Aura

This creature is an enchantment forest, in addition to its other type :v:

E: make it a bestow

I bestow your Polukranos into a mountain. Cast peak eruption, targeting Polukranos.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
Use her naked body as your playmate ala those girls off whom you eat sushi.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Chill la Chill posted:

Whatever you do, if you're still playing when she tells you she wants to go to the club after dinner, be sure that you don't get the places mixed up when things get hot and heavy and she tells you to meet her in the club restroom.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I am now tempted to live blog this event. Problem is, byob won't really enjoy it unless there's anime involved so I might have to buy some anime sleeves and playmat to make it interesting.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Be sure to narrate each match in detail, explaining why you made the plays you made and why it's better than other plays, so she can understand how smart you are. Oh, and the game too I guess. Also, talk about all the different cards your opponent might have, so that when one comes forward you can go "ah hah!" Neg your opponent.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Chill la Chill posted:

I am now tempted to live blog this event. Problem is, byob won't really enjoy it unless there's anime involved so I might have to buy some anime sleeves and playmat to make it interesting.

Is it too late to get some anime sleeves/ lands overnighted from ebay?

You can also NEVER mention to your opponents enough that you are also on a date.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Chill la Chill posted:

Clearly your date needs to be on the sleeves and playmat, duh.

Rookies.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Chill la Chill posted:

Might as well go all the way and get some full art anime girls in swimsuits islands.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Chill la Chill posted:

go all out and get touhou sleeves/playmats

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I will see what I can do. Will see if there's a local anime shop that has them. If this was back on the island I'd be able to get them easily. I would get anime titty islands but I might not draft blue so it might be a waste. I need to win to show my partner my utter domination of a children's card game.

Also as a clarification I would like to say that I am not dating an anime or else that would make it much easier to put her on sleeves and playmats. I am not a high enough wizard level to be dating that russian model who is an anime or the Brazilian model who is also an anime. However she is white and v skinny so she at least has the color and proportions of an anime. Facial surgery can fix the rest but i can wait on that.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Whoa I forgot the pro tour is this weekend. I might have to stay home and furiously see what's winning so I can speculate on the right $1 cards instead!

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Want this as a playmat, for real.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

I'll tell you what, though, getting rid of Sheldon Menery and bringing back Randy Buehler has been great.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Attorney at Funk posted:

I'll tell you what, though, getting rid of Sheldon Menery and bringing back Randy Buehler has been great.

:agreed: . I'm waiting for the strategy that CFB has used during their recent GPs of recording two matches per round and playing both to cover the break between rounds to catch on. There are only so many ultrapro commercials and lame 'top 5 most impactful cards' features I can take.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

:agreed: . I'm waiting for the strategy that CFB has used during their recent GPs of recording two matches per round and playing both to cover the break between rounds to catch on. There are only so many ultrapro commercials and lame 'top 5 most impactful cards' features I can take.

But Ultrapro is the top of the line and best gear for competitive magic on the mark- :suicide:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Elyv posted:

naw man, you play magic so that your date will understand that your priorities are in order
Last in, first out. :quagmire:

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.
So thread, if you were you able to commentate on the Pro Tours for life, but had to:
A) Shill for Ultra Pro in every division they're in, including their food
B) Commentate with Sheldon Menery and play EDH with him all the time
Which would you pick?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

A), screw Sheldon Menery and screw EDH

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

neetengie posted:

So thread, if you were you able to commentate on the Pro Tours for life, but had to:
Which would you pick?

Ultra Pro makes food?

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

neetengie posted:

Which would you pick?

I pick "C) Play on the Pro Tour and only come waddling in when you don't make top 8. Also make lots of sweet puns."

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

:f5:, but for the 5 button

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

jassi007 posted:

Ultra Pro makes food?

I believe they specialize in split pea soup and banana splits.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Zoness posted:

I believe they specialize in split pea soup and banana splits.

I like both of those things. So I'm in for option A. I will commentate on the pro-tour and shill Ultra Pro extra chunky split pea and ham.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Entropic posted:

There just weren't that many actual "enchantments matter" mechanics for them to interact with. In the block as-is, the only thing Enchantment Lands would even do is trigger constellation and die incidentally to enchantment removal. And constellation wasn't even in the first two sets of the block. I can imagine a block where Enchantment Lands make sense, but Theros isn't it, and wouldn't be without a major shakeup of the block's mechanics.

Imagine opening an enchantment land in a Theros pack a year ago. "OK. I guess this makes Commune with the Gods marginally better? And does nothing else except die to my opponent's enchantment removal?"

Bonus knock against enchantment lands: being broken in Legacy Enchantress decks.

I think they missed the opportunity to have enchantments with ETB effects and nothing else, to enable constellation/enchantment matters type mechanics. They sort of did it with the font cycle...

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Having 11 lands by turn 11 of a game in draft is generally not a good sign. Having 11 lands by turn 11 of the next game is probably also not good. I think I need to change up my strategies because this one just isn't working out. Any suggestions that don't involve tearing off my own hands? I don't think I need them anymore.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

I Love You! posted:

Having 11 lands by turn 11 of a game in draft is generally not a good sign. Having 11 lands by turn 11 of the next game is probably also not good. I think I need to change up my strategies because this one just isn't working out. Any suggestions that don't involve tearing off my own hands? I don't think I need them anymore.

This is a common strategic blunder. You should try drawing spells instead of lands.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Attorney at Funk posted:

This is a common strategic blunder. You should try drawing spells instead of lands.

I'm not certain I follow but I'm going to read some articles and see if I can find some examples to work with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

I Love You! posted:

It sounds like the problem is you're drawing more mana than you have a use for. You should play more 11 drops.

• Locked thread