Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Oh man I'm going to buy all these rotten apples from the grocery store! Hopefully with my support they'll start selling them without worms!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

I never thought I'd have to point out the idiocy of "I'm going to give a company money for an inferior product in hopes that they makes something better in the future" and yet here I am.

But they're pretty much the same versions as their originals? I don't understand; YOU are the one perceiving them as inferior. How are they inferior? Compared to what? Again, the original versions? THEY'RE THE SAME. They might be inferior to other PC titles but that's on you, bub.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Hace posted:

no you don't understand it's really hard upscale in DX9 it could break the whole game :(

Supporting multiple resolutions for a game is actually a thing that the game engine has to support on multiple levels, all the way from low-level stuff like shaders and effects to higher level like UI. Given how SE works, I would be completely unsurprised to find that they hardcoded a ton of stuff for 720p, especially during the likely hasty and "oh poo poo" QA phase, and actually getting FF13 to support multiple resolutions would be a non-trivial task.

I'm not excusing them for it. I'm just saying that they probably have such a lovely codebase for FF13 that the notion of "flipping a resolution switch" is not applicable to the game in any way.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mechathief posted:

But they're pretty much the same versions as their originals? I don't understand; YOU are the one perceiving them as inferior. How are they inferior? Compared to what? Again, the original versions? THEY'RE THE SAME. They might be inferior to other PC titles but that's on you, bub.

Please keep quibbling to justify your terrible financial decision. I'm really enjoying it.

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007

Mechathief posted:

Japanese developers are special and do not need to bend to the whims of the PC gaming community. Basic functionality such as different resolution options? Feh. Be thankful you got this 4 year old game at all.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Fister Roboto posted:

Please keep quibbling to justify your terrible financial decision.

I ain't buying that poo poo. It's still FF13.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

Please keep quibbling to justify your terrible financial decision. I'm really enjoying it.

HAHA, I have no issues with the money I spent for the game. You just keep responding with stupid nonsensical bullshit.

seizure later posted:

Japanese developers are special and do not need to bend to the whims of the PC gaming community. Basic functionality such as different resolution options? Feh. Be thankful you got this 4 year old game at all.

Man, I probably need to make this abundantly clear as you guys are bad at reading comprehension or something: These releases are fine to me, I don't have an issue with them. Everyone else? Yeah I guess it sucks but you should know what you're getting into. I fully expected this, and there's appparently a LOT of people who HOLY poo poo once again bought in and expected this amazing PC experience with a ton of extra features for TEN loving DOLLARS AHAHAHAHAH

I am failing to see how I'm the one making terrible financial decisions when I'm getting what I want at the very least as opposed to everyone buying these Japanese PC ports and expecting THIS TIME IT'LL BE BETTER SQUARE ENIX LOVES ME

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Oct 9, 2014

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Varance posted:

Escape does instantly kill the program, which is pretty hilarious.

That sucks if you hit it by accident, but honestly I prefer this to most console->PC ports where you hit "exit game" and it just loads back to the start menu, complete with splash screens and credits and the opening movie :suicide: and then you select "quit to desktop" finally from the main menu. I hate that poo poo and SO many games on PC do it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

lol

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

Oh man I'm going to buy all these rotten apples from the grocery store! Hopefully with my support they'll start selling them without worms!

Good thing how there are multiple ports of this game on the market.

Man, I cannot even choose!

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007

Mechathief posted:

Man, I probably need to make this abundantly clear as you guys are bad at reading comprehension or something: These releases are fine to me, I don't have an issue with them. Everyone else? Yeah I guess it sucks but you should know what you're getting into. I fully expected this, and there's appparently a LOT of people who HOLY poo poo once again bought in and expected this amazing PC experience with a ton of extra features for TEN loving DOLLARS AHAHAHAHAH

I am failing to see how I'm the one making terrible financial decisions when I'm getting what I want at the very least as opposed to everyone buying these Japanese PC ports and expecting THIS TIME IT'LL BE BETTER SQUARE ENIX LOVES ME

I guess people assumed it was 10 bux because, you know, it's a four year old game and almost every other developer on the planet puts in the bare minimum of effort in making sure you at least have some customisation options because PCs aren't some uniform box where everyone has exactly the same setup.

But yes, it's everyone else's fault that nowhere before launch did they say "by the way you're pretty much getting the same experience as an emulator".

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

bloodychill posted:

This, on the other hand, is terrible. Everything Nomura does that isn't monster design is terrible. Though I guess a Disney-branded game with Mickey Mouse in a gimp suit is a hilarious concept.

I don't see what's so terrible about that...? Sure, it doesn't look anything like Catwoman but his Batman didn't look anything like Batman.

I usually have zero problems with Nomura's character designs. I tend to think they're actually pretty good most of the time. In Final Fantasy 13 the only character designs I actually hated were the ones that weren't done by Nomura, just a person who seemed to be trying to copy his style and it shows because they look awful.

I'd say my least favorite design of his is probably Tidus but even then he looks like a weird goofy dude and he pretty much is one in the game.

Although I might have to indeed agree with you that his monster design is probably better than his character design overall.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Fister Roboto posted:

The apple is not completely rotten though as long as you like XIII well enough. It just lacks settings based on what I am hearing about it so far which is something worth voicing complaints about but not necessarily enough to get me to not purchase the product at all. Well, that and the ESC key lol.

Since we are dishing out crappy analogies, here is one. I still buy apples at the grocery store when they have a bruise or two even though I prefer apples with no bruises at all AND will pay even more for apples without any bruises. This is particularly true when there are no other identical types of apples on the shelf without any bruises and I really want to buy that kind of apple. I might say something to the manager though and from there the best that I can hope for is that they stock their shelves with apples that have less bruises next time. Three cheers for awful analogies.

Anyways, I want to get it. Not just because I want SE to make more games for PC but because I just want a copy of XIII on PC and will enjoy owning one. That alone makes it a sound financial decision for me. I also want the sales to be a success that shows SE that there is an interest in their AAA titles being on PC, but I also want SE to get a load of critical feedback so that they will hopefully understand that there is even more money to be made if they do a good job with their future ports. That is not a bad consumer practice.

Xavier434 fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 9, 2014

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm not saying that you shouldn't buy this port if that's what you really want. I'm just laughing at the stupidity of

Mechathief posted:

I'm just supporting them in the hope they decide they want to start bringing their future games (HELLO FFXV) to PC, and yes that they would include all the niceties that PCs allow.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Hace posted:

You're going to give it to me

Alright boys, starting offers.

Also, lmao Fister's really really mad that people are buying video games they might enjoy. Please do not trigger his sperging, it hurts him more than it hurts you!

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm not saying that you shouldn't buy this port if that's what you really want. I'm just laughing at the stupidity of

That isn't really all that stupid though. How else do we show SE that we not only want better quality PC ports of their AAA games but that there is demand to buy them? Words alone don't mean much when you are the person risking a ton of money to put out a product, but having historical data showing actual revenue coupled with analysis based on consumer feedback about what will make those numbers even higher? Yeah...people are generally willing to risk more when they see that.

In the end though, it is just a bet and this is SE. It is also just a small handful of bucks though. Worth it imo.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

you either get bad apples or no apples, no other option

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mega64 posted:

Actually, with the recent remake on PS3, how likely is it we'll get X/X-2 on PC?

Seems possible. I wouldn't hold your breath though in case it takes years. But it used to be zero square games on PC, then now Steam is so loving huge they said why not and put VII on it, everybody loves VII right? And then VIII... and then III and XIII...

I could see them moving into the PC space more. Especially with all the XI and XIV development they've done over the years, they have some decent pc developers. Course they're usually busy with XIV or whatever so they outsource the PC ports and they end up being total poo poo, but whatever.

Actually now that I think back VII and VIII were on PC originally, ported by EIDOS. I never had a PS1 back then so I got them on PC, and it was a so-so port. Not terrible, not great. I guess having that code around made porting to Steam easier. But then what about XIII?

It definitely seems like Square is aware of pc and steam sales now, so I could see it happening. On the other hand it seems like they don't want to put much effort into PC support, and that's kinda how it goes, especially in Japan. We had to beg From Software for years with petitions to get Dark Souls on PC, and then it was a REALLY lovely 30fps port. Dark souls 2 got a good bit better though, so similar complaints could see Square get their poo poo together for future ports.

Fister Roboto posted:

The point you're making is loving obvious fair, but on the other hand that is literally what happened with Dark Souls 1 and Dark Souls 2.

Not all developers are Scrooge McDuck. Sometimes they see the value in giving customers what they want.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

seizure later posted:

I guess people assumed it was 10 bux because, you know, it's a four year old game and almost every other developer on the planet puts in the bare minimum of effort in making sure you at least have some customisation options because PCs aren't some uniform box where everyone has exactly the same setup.

But yes, it's everyone else's fault that nowhere before launch did they say "by the way you're pretty much getting the same experience as an emulator".

Well, lets look at what makes this company different, I guess.

First up, they're Japanese. Hello, language barrier! They probably don't listen to the American or Europe branches much anyway because Square-Enix Japan is the big one.

Now we've got them porting over a game directly from consoles, out of nowhere, for $10. I've exp-- Haven't I explained this already? I'm not doing it again.

Yes, everyone who pre-ordered this game when there were so many unknowns about the feature set and expected it to stack up to every other PC release (and then bitched about it!), without at least looking at the trend they've set with their other PC ports, are loving morons. How is this hard to understand?

Fister Roboto posted:

Again, how is this stupid? If I want those games to come to PC (and I don't think they're bad games, that was you putting that in your dumb analogy), then whats the alternative? What am I supposed to do? Go kiss rear end in their forums all day long? Write a letter? OH YEAH MAN THEY'RE GONNA LISTEN TO ME, ONE RANDOM DUDE

Mega64 posted:

Actually, with the recent remake on PS3, how likely is it we'll get X/X-2 on PC?

I don't know; I would imagine that would depend on how much interest there is for Final Fantasy games on the PC. Hmm, if only there were some quantifiable way to measure interest.... I KNOW! I'VE GOT IT!

...Let's lurk forums all day long!

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Oct 9, 2014

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

bloodychill posted:

Supporting multiple resolutions for a game is actually a thing that the game engine has to support on multiple levels, all the way from low-level stuff like shaders and effects to higher level like UI. Given how SE works, I would be completely unsurprised to find that they hardcoded a ton of stuff for 720p, especially during the likely hasty and "oh poo poo" QA phase, and actually getting FF13 to support multiple resolutions would be a non-trivial task.

I'm not excusing them for it. I'm just saying that they probably have such a lovely codebase for FF13 that the notion of "flipping a resolution switch" is not applicable to the game in any way.

I agree with everything you said.

However, didn't the 360 version run at a slightly lower resolution than the PS3 version? If so that would imply that the engine already has support for handling that.

I never played a ton of FFXIII either way (part of why I picked it up on PC) but I remember the 360 looking worse than PS3 being a thing.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
The port is actually pretty okay so I'm not sure why everyone's so mad about, though? Like for the $14 I spent its a solid PC port so far, though I've only gotten to trash moutain/Vile Peaks.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

The resolution will probably get better 15-20 hours in

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Mischitary posted:

I don't see what's so terrible about that...? Sure, it doesn't look anything like Catwoman but his Batman didn't look anything like Batman.

Well, you kind of answered your question partly with the second part of that.

But largely it's subjective. I'm not going to write another screed about how much I hate Nomura in the FF thread that a handful of people will enjoy like Sunning but suffice it to say, I just tend to dislike his more "adventurous" character designs on a basic level. I also just flat-out hate the way he draws women in the same way that I hate how fashion designers design for models. His drawn characters are always tall with extremely long legs with clothes that could never fit or hang well on someone of an even athletic build. It's not game specific, but rather fashion specific and based on the ongoing sort-of joke that Nomura always wanted to be a fashion designer, I'm not the only person to notice this, though I may be one of the few who hate it in a very visceral manner.

Well I guess I wrote another screed.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

slev posted:

:golfclap:

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

slev posted:

1080p at a consistent 60fps as soon as you reach Gran Pulse.

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007

Xavier434 posted:

That isn't really all that stupid though. How else do we show SE that we not only want better quality PC ports of their AAA games but that there is demand to buy them? Words alone don't mean much when you are the person risking a ton of money to put out a product, but having historical data showing actual revenue coupled with analysis based on consumer feedback about what will make those numbers even higher? Yeah...people are generally willing to risk more when they see that.

In the end though, it is just a bet and this is SE. It is also just a small handful of bucks though. Worth it imo.

I guarantee that releasing Final Fantasy 13 in October of 2014 is not a huge financial risk for them.

Mechathief posted:

Well, lets look at what makes this company different, I guess.

First up, they're Japanese. Hello, language barrier! They probably don't listen to the American or Europe branches much anyway because Square-Enix Japan is the big one.

Now we've got them porting over a game directly from consoles, out of nowhere, for $10. I've exp-- Haven't I explained this already? I'm not doing it again.

"Out of nowhere" after releasing four other console or handheld ports on Steam previously and having their MMORPG also on the same store.

By all means, enjoy the game or whatever, but please stop pretending like SE should get a pass because they're loving Japanese or because they decided to release a four year old title for a reduced price.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Shame about the lazy port, although it's kind of funny that Square is responsible for one of the best PC ports in gaming as well. Guess it comes down to the specific teams that work on things.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

slev posted:

Can we skip the arguing over the value of a half-assed port and just empty-quote this for the next two pages instead?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

bloodychill posted:

Well I guess I wrote another screed.

So, then, I'm sure you of all people would love Nomura's(?) version of Iron Man.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

seizure later posted:

I guarantee that releasing Final Fantasy 13 in October of 2014 is not a huge financial risk for them.

You are missing the point. Spending development time for future AAA titles so that they get a PC release and possibly even one close to the console release date is seen as an expense that needs more justification before it actually happens. They need real numbers to work with based on AAA titles for there to even be a chance. This is how those numbers get produced.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

seizure later posted:

"Out of nowhere" after releasing four other console or handheld ports on Steam previously and having their MMORPG also on the same store.

By all means, enjoy the game or whatever, but please stop pretending like SE should get a pass because they're loving Japanese or because they decided to release a four year old title for a reduced price.

Yes, it was out of nowhere. It was only announced like a month ago and even then it wasn't the official announcement where everyone found out; it was some dude looking at a website and seeing a steam icon. No one could have predicted that XIII was the next game coming out and had relatively little time to get any information out of them about it.

Again. I'm not defending them. Anyone who bitches about this game's featureset, and has not bought the game-- DUDE YES YOU'RE DOING IT RIGHT! GOOD ON YOU!

Those people who bought into the game already and are just posting poo poo about how it did not live up to their expectations in terms of PC features? WHAT THE gently caress, WHY? (and so far that's actually been like NO ONE on this forum so I'm not even sure how this all got started, other than the usual knee-jerk reactions "ugh stop defending them!" I've come to expect from SA posters)

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
For what it's worth, FFXIII in 720p doesn't look that bad upscaled. It's not blur central like other games.

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007

Xavier434 posted:

You are missing the point. Spending development time for future AAA titles so that they get a PC release and possibly even one close to the console release date is seen as an expense that needs more justification before it actually happens. They need real numbers to work with based on AAA titles for there to even be a chance. This is how those numbers get produced.

Buying FF13 on Steam today does not say "release the next one at the same time as the console version", it says "you can release it any number of years in the future and we'll still buy it" when it's considerably cheaper for them to do so. If anything, they're more likely to use the numbers from FF14 sales, both ver 1.0 and 2.0.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Man, Square must have a full inbox today considering how many completely different messages buying FF XIII on steam apparently sends them.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I spent 9.70 of my card money to get a level 5 badge

*gazes wistfully towards the horizon*

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
It looks very nice and smooth from those three vids that were posted, but I think I will stick with my PS3 copies for now. My external HDD that I store all my games on is at 160 GB right now and I really don't want to have to put up with a 100 GB+ download at the moment. maybe somewhere down the line I will consider buying a copy of the PC port.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

S-Alpha posted:

So, then, I'm sure you of all people would love Nomura's(?) version of Iron Man.

Well, it looks like a well-modeled version of Iron Man, so if Nomura did it, credit where credit's due. It does make me realize the problem with the DC designs he did were something like "Iron Man wearing a robot costume of this other comic character."

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

seizure later posted:

Buying FF13 on Steam today does not say "release the next one at the same time as the console version", it says "you can release it any number of years in the future and we'll still buy it" when it's considerably cheaper for them to do so. If anything, they're more likely to use the numbers from FF14 sales, both ver 1.0 and 2.0.

Depends. Companies are constantly trying to find ways to make more money. They use all kinds of data in order to try and make accurate predictions about how to do that. There is no guaranteed message that will be sent whenever any customer makes any purchase no matter what the reason is. There is only a chance that SE might interpret positive FF XIII sales figures(if that even happens) as a sign that more PC support for AAA titles is a good idea worth financially risking. It has an even better chance when coupled with customer feedback.

And if not, then the worst case scenario is that nothing changes and I just spent a little over $10 for a game compatible with a platform that I wanted it on anyways.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

seizure later posted:

Yup, that possibility definitely exists. Now, I'm curious on your take on not buying any of those games tells them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

There is no satisfactory resolution to Final Fantasy XIII.