Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
M3V
Jul 26, 2012

♪ toot ♪
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAF-joDT5ZQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

Snowy! Have you thought about psittacosis?

FortMax posted:

Yes. They are a HUGE thing. Like, say you want to watch the episode of Masked Rider X that has Starfish Hitler. You go to the rental shop, and you can pay 100 yen to rent whatever disc that episode is on. Hell, a lot of places still rent stuff on VHS if it hasn't had rental DVDs made.

Also, are Naru's friends Honoka and Nagisa?

No, they are shoplifters!

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Japan still has Tower Records. Think about that.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Just to put this out there: Prof Tomoe Umino is the best.

Also sorta funny is the idea that Zoicite just got clowned on by Ichigo and Asuna.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 5, 2014

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Chrysolith posted:

That was an issue I had with this episode and the last one. The senshi barely fight, and then they get attacked once (on screen at least), and then they are down for the count. This anime doesn't do a very good job at portraying the villains as strong, but just the senshi as really weak.

Considering they're not killing off the generals they're probably planning to have the Sailor Team beat them in a four on four fight or something. That or they get trounced again but the generals sacrifice themselves for Mamoru in an act of redemption. Or both, who knows.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

so suave

deadly claris
Jan 5, 2007

M'aiq thinks deadly claris is best partner in crime.
Ahaha, are those Heroes DVDs behind them on the shelf? That's a cute touch.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW9A6nn0F8o

alternatively,
http://youtu.be/fC_q9KPczAg?t=1m54s

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

The Devil Tesla posted:

Japan still has Tower Records. Think about that.

I used to work at Tower Records Corporate. The owner (Russ Solomon) took a trip to Japan once and was very confused about the Tower Records he saw there. Turns out, some Japanese guy was visiting/schooling/something in America, loved the concept, and thought he'd do the same thing back home. Had the same logo, layout etc. Total ripoff.

They made a friendly agreement, and Russ bought an interest, and Tower Japan was born.

(Don't hold me to the details, this was just the office gossip)

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I just got caught up with this show and I had a question. Does Sailor Moon become a...I guess better character is the right word? It seems like the other Sailor Scouts are far more competent and are able to focus on the task on hand while Moon is doing what ever.

Is that the point? Does she get better? Or am I expecting to much out of a show meant for 12 year old Japanese girls?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

BigRed0427 posted:

I just got caught up with this show and I had a question. Does Sailor Moon become a...I guess better character is the right word? It seems like the other Sailor Scouts are far more competent and are able to focus on the task on hand while Moon is doing what ever.

Is that the point? Does she get better? Or am I expecting to much out of a show meant for 12 year old Japanese girls?

That is partially the point since she is after all an average fourteen year old being forced into crappy situations. Her teammates take it more in stride because of their life circumstances which forced them to mature faster than the average person.

She starts out weak because it is her journey and everything that goes with that. In the manga Usagi/Sailor Moon matures into an adult fairly fast and becomes a serious warrior. She keeps her zaniness when the story wants comic relief but by the end of Dark Kingdom she takes threats a lot more seriously and isn't such a wimp.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

HIJK posted:

That is partially the point since she is after all an average fourteen year old being forced into crappy situations. Her teammates take it more in stride because of their life circumstances which forced them to mature faster than the average person.

She starts out weak because it is her journey and everything that goes with that. In the manga Usagi/Sailor Moon matures into an adult fairly fast and becomes a serious warrior. She keeps her zaniness when the story wants comic relief but by the end of Dark Kingdom she takes threats a lot more seriously and isn't such a wimp.

Even by the end of this episode it's true. She got beat but she wasn't afraid to actually stand up and escalate when faced with a horde of movie zombies in front of her for a change.

I have to agree that this show has suffered for sticking to the manga's pacing. It's moving at the speed of light and while we get less filler, it's become a much more generic shonen show with a shojo facade. Meet villain, fight villain, power up, beat villain isn't really the best formula and I kind of wish they kept some of the lessons learned in the medium over the last 20+ years instead of giving us what amounts to Scooby Doo levels of characterization, even if it is closer to the manga. (Would have gotten away with this rental store if it wasn't for those meddling Sailor Scouts, yadda yadda...)

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

BigRed0427 posted:

I never read the manga, but in the original show, her strength is her unbounded love and positivity. She sees the best in people and brings it out of them. She's able to turn both cynical allies and her enemies into better people because she believes in them and is willing to go to the ends of the earth for them. You've already seen it a little here where she makes friends incredibly quickly. The other scouts start out with negative experience with other people but she just doesn't care. It's played as naive innocence sometimes, but it's also her greatest contribution.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

BigRed0427 posted:

She becomes a lot more competent as the manga goes on, and even if Crystal only adapts what they've said it's adapting you'll still see her character shift markedly.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

HIJK posted:

Though this isn't true in the original anime at all, where she was always kind of a wimp and zany. Still love that episode of Stars where she's fighting in the kitchen and her wings are knocking everything over, and then she throws a pizza like she threw her tiara in the Dark Kingdom arc.

M3V
Jul 26, 2012

♪ toot ♪

Twelve by Pies posted:

Though this isn't true in the original anime at all, where she was always kind of a wimp and zany. Still love that episode of Stars where she's fighting in the kitchen and her wings are knocking everything over, and then she throws a pizza like she threw her tiara in the Dark Kingdom arc.

haha don't remember this at all! do you have the name or number of the episode?

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

It's episode 184, or episode 18 of Stars if it's listed by season.

Stars had the best monsters of the week though, like Robo Cop or a fat guy in a skirt.

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

a cartoon duck posted:

Stars had the best monsters of the week though, like Robo Cop or a fat guy in a skirt.

Not to mention SAILOR GUTS

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo

M3V posted:

haha don't remember this at all! do you have the name or number of the episode?

I know neither of those things but BAM:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGa2yWvaILE

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

a cartoon duck posted:

Which does not a drat thing to make that third of stars any good.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

atomicgeek posted:

The whole episode is great. "Sailor Moon, how big is this room?"

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Part 2 of Viz's release is due out February 10th. Presumably because it doesn't include a chipboard box the MSRP for the Blu-Ray set is $69.99 instead of $79.99 but that doesn't really matter since its cheaper everywhere else anyway. Like the first set its up on Rightstuf early and comes with a bonus, though instead of a cool coin its just a bunch of artwork cards.

They've also put up a listing for both Part 1 and 2 that runs $112 (Normally $150).

So I take it we can expect the entirety of R and maybe S next year if this is to be the pattern for release dates.

RMZXAnarchy fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Oct 9, 2014

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

What does the Blu-Ray re-release look like? My favorite part of Sailor Moon is the use of reds and pinks. Is it as rosy as the Italian release?

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!
I hope the chipboard box for set 1 is big enough to hold part 2. I don't want to have two different kinds of boxes on my shelf for each season.

Nonetheless I put my preorder in. I'm super excited to own the whole series on blu-ray.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
I'm just gonna leave this here.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

SereneCrimson posted:

I hope the chipboard box for set 1 is big enough to hold part 2. I don't want to have two different kinds of boxes on my shelf for each season.

Nonetheless I put my preorder in. I'm super excited to own the whole series on blu-ray.

They actually expressly mentioned that when Part 1's LE was announced. Though chances are if part 2 comes with a cardboard sleeve over the case that part won't fit in the box with part 1.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

The Monkey Man posted:

guarding tokyo, guarding my underwear

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

The Monkey Man posted:

One of the most logical tie-in products I've ever seen, frankly.
Although I'm not sure about the implications of the different Senshi on the different absorbency boxes. I do not associate Sailor Jupiter with a light flow.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Part 2 of Viz's release is due out February 10th. Presumably because it doesn't include a chipboard box the MSRP for the Blu-Ray set is $69.99 instead of $79.99 but that doesn't really matter since its cheaper everywhere else anyway. Like the first set its up on Rightstuf early and comes with a bonus, though instead of a cool coin its just a bunch of artwork cards.

They've also put up a listing for both Part 1 and 2 that runs $112 (Normally $150).

So I take it we can expect the entirety of R and maybe S next year if this is to be the pattern for release dates.

I see we're continuing the tradition of Ami posing awkwardly in group shots

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

What does the Blu-Ray re-release look like? My favorite part of Sailor Moon is the use of reds and pinks. Is it as rosy as the Italian release?

it looks like complete garbage based on the preview shots they released a while ago & how it looks on hulu. possibly the worst release I've seen.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

I'm sure it'll look fine on a TV as opposed to the Hulu version (Which also has the problem of being a streaming service so it wouldn't be as sharp as something read off of a disc). I recently watched a rip of the Italian S dvds with the subtitles from the awful SMC stuff on an old CRT and everything looked dark and subdued (of course that could've just been a problem with the TV).

On the other hand, the Italian DVD source looks excellent when its not played through a CRT and the Hulu version seems to have more pink than it should. Though granted this could be due to whatever "remastering" Viz is putting the footage through.

RMZXAnarchy fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Oct 10, 2014

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Hulu seems to be using the video from the original R2 DVDs, which do have higher contrast and less detail than the R1 DVDs.

I'd expect R2 would be the norm for Italy, but :shrug:

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Don't use SMC's encodes in comparisons, they're worthless.

Viz's faked DVD -

Viz's Bluray -

Actual DVDs -

DVD vs Hulu, which Viz has said is their "remaster" http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/75490

The Italian DVDs are the best available release.

aers fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Oct 10, 2014

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

atomicgeek posted:

Holy poo poo. Can someone make a gif starting at MOON TIARA ACTION?

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Dove from Above posted:

One of the most logical tie-in products I've ever seen, frankly.
Although I'm not sure about the implications of the different Senshi on the different absorbency boxes. I do not associate Sailor Jupiter with a light flow.

The puns you can associate with this are amazing.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The Monkey Man posted:

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

I can't contain my love for this.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Episode 8: poo poo Hits the Fan in Sailor Moon Land

we need an emoticon combining :black101: and :sparkles: only the axe is a magic pen thing.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

a kitten posted:

Episode 8: poo poo Hits the Fan in Sailor Moon Land

we need an emoticon combining :black101: and :sparkles: only the axe is a magic pen thing.

Every time I watch a new episode I get sad that I have to wait 2 more weeks to see what happens next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Well for 9 and 10 the two weeks thing will be in effect but 11 will be like episode 5 and be three weeks after 10 because there's five Saturdays in November so they'll skip a week.

I've purposely just been falling behind so I don't have to deal with the waiting. Its much easier to binge watch rather than play this eternal waiting game.

Too bad we won't hit the end of the Dark Kingdom stuff till January, that's easily going to be the most visually spectacular point of the series.

• Locked thread