Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Adam Bowen posted:

It's incredible that people think localizing a game just means translating a big XML file. What about QA, manufacturing, shipping, marketing, or working with retailers to actually get the product on store shelves?

When you translate Japanese to English the text magically fits and makes sense, obviously. :colbert:

Half-assing it gets you things like that FF7 fan's sperg's patch where he renamed Moogles to Moguri and wants to replace Cait Sith with his Generic McBetrayalson fanfic character.

Himuro posted:

Yes, often, the means of getting the text isn't skillfull at all. Just assuming translators just get the text in an easy manner is naive. It's like any other job, and we're dealing with オヤジ Japanese companies who barely consider western releases. Suikoden II is a classic example. If I recall, it was just him, maybe one other guy? Anyways, their only means of translating the game was playing the game. They had to replay through the game multiple times just to get every line right. Game translation isn't an exact science and it's...very time consuming and crazy. It's rarely just translation.

Owning Suikoden 2 and having replayed it numerous times I'm guessing the guy did a once-through because holy poo poo is the US translation of that game in bad shape.

Though the best part is using the Matilda gate bug to go get Futch and Humphrey prematurely (make sure to finish their quest or you will get stuck eventually since they can't leave the party until you do it) and taking Futch to Greenhill. Since he's not supposed to actually be able to be there any time it gives him a line it's just garbled code.

Levantine posted:

The 140k number is from 12/09 which is 12 months after the 76k number. I can see it selling another 60k in that time.

EDIT: not that it really matters, i doubt S-E is basing it off just that game. Their numbers fell off pretty hard it looks like so DQ7 just might not be profitable for them.

The dumb thing is, a localized game selling 100k units can still be profitable. But it's not tens or hundreds of millions of dollars of profit which to most major companies these days is the same as a loss because they all want million+ unit sales because it looks good to shareholders thus making them look good.

Look at how hard we had to push for Xenoblade to get a US release. It sold so well that when Xenoblade X was announced they made sure to mention from the start that it'd get a US release as well.

Bongo Bill posted:

If you don't like horrible puns, then there is something wrong with you.

I don't like horrible puns being shoved in to about 90% of a game. Going to a club and listening to stand up where one guy crashes and burns can be funny. Sitting there for several hours while dozens of people flounder one after another is painful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
The Suikoden II translation is so bad due to Konami incompetence. I'll pull up the story later. It's a doozy.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Himuro posted:

The Suikoden II translation is so bad due to Konami incompetence. I'll pull up the story later. It's a doozy.

I have to post this every time we start talking about Suikoden II.

Major bugfix patch!

http://www.herrvillain.com/suikoden/GS2_Patch_2.01.065b_2013-12-19.zip

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Evil Fluffy posted:

When you translate Japanese to English the text magically fits and makes sense, obviously. :colbert:

Half-assing it gets you things like that FF7 fan's sperg's patch where he renamed Moogles to Moguri and wants to replace Cait Sith with his Generic McBetrayalson fanfic character.

I bet he changed Aeris's name to Aerith, too. :rolleye:

Here we have the difference between translation and localization. I've always thought that the DQ games have held that as an advantage over FF, regardless of the stylistic differences. It's obvious that the English DQ games have received more care in getting the intent of the dialog correct, even if that means completely changing the words.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Himuro posted:

According to this:

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/official-september-08-npd-thread.172317044/

DQIV sold 35k-ish in its first month of sale.

However, it took four months for it to reach 76k life to date:

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/life-to-date-npd-software-numbers-26820226/

I really doubt it sold double that after that point. It seems quite a stretch and I doubt that 140k number. According to your link, they got their sources from vgchartz. vgchartz is an undocumented web site that does not get official sales data. They tend to tally how many were sold at local gamestops. Yeah. Don't trust any game sales stat that was "sourced" by vgchartz.

RE: 20k number. I may be thinking of DQV ds. It's been a lonnnng time.

DQM Joker sold over 200k in North America, though.

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/3145/dragon-quest-monsters-joker/

That seems like a profitable margin for a DQ game - one that isn't even a main title at that.

Adam Bowen posted:

It's incredible that people think localizing a game just means translating a big XML file. What about QA, manufacturing, shipping, marketing, or working with retailers to actually get the product on store shelves?

Well yeah, there are other phases to localization. I'm just implying that as far as an RPG type game goes, Dragon Quest games seem like they should be vastly easier to localize because the translation phase requires far less work when there is lack of voice acting to worry about, and many streamlined elements in each game. Now, the best way to do this would be to have the same team work on many different games at once, for the sake of consistency and familiarity. I suppose the process doesn't go quite as smoothly if roles changed each title.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Himuro posted:

I've never been able to play DQIX multi. Did I miss much? The drat DS never connected to the Internet no matter where I went.

Going online just gave you access to the store (sometimes had great gear) and put heroes from all the other DQs in the inn. Some of them gave you outfits!

The multiplayer was local and worked extremely well.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Going online just gave you access to the store (sometimes had great gear) and put heroes from all the other DQs in the inn. Some of them gave you outfits!

If you have a 3DS, try playing on that (assuming that it's a model that plays regular DS games). I could never get online on my old DS either, but now I have a 3DS XL and it works very well with my home wireless network.

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn

JustJeff88 posted:

If you have a 3DS, try playing on that (assuming that it's a model that plays regular DS games). I could never get online on my old DS either, but now I have a 3DS XL and it works very well with my home wireless network.

Didn't Nintendo completely take down DS wi-fi service? I don't think DQ9 multiplayer would work anymore on any console, unfortunately.

wocobob fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Oct 7, 2014

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

wocobob posted:

Didn't Nintendo completely take down DS wi-go service? I don't think DQ9 multiplayer would work anymore on any console, unfortunately.

I thought they did, but I thought that one could work around that with the 3DS. Given what you said, though, you're probably right. They took the Wiishop offline too, apparently, but I just bought Mega Man 9 and 10 so perhaps I don't quite understand.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
DQ9's servers are going down, right? Or are they already down?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Already gone, but like was said, that's just the visitor/store thing. The actual multiplayer is local wireless only.

Also the emulated WFC server has the DLC stored, if you use a flashcart/emulator/ActionReplay: https://github.com/polaris-/dwc_network_server_emulator/wiki/Nintendo-DS-Download-Content

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

kirbysuperstar posted:

Already gone, but like was said, that's just the visitor/store thing. The actual multiplayer is local wireless only.

Also the emulated WFC server has the DLC stored, if you use a flashcart/emulator/ActionReplay: https://github.com/polaris-/dwc_network_server_emulator/wiki/Nintendo-DS-Download-Content

Yes, but, apparently the online store had a poo poo load of post-game content and now anyone who wants to use that content is now screwed. Shame, because I never got to try it out.

You can use the content through piracy? Why is it always up to pirates to help catalog gaming history? :qq:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I forgot to log in and grab the last dozen or so quests and a couple NPC visitors. I didn't think of it until I saw a week-old article that talked about how the DQ9 network was turned off for good. It sucks but I doubt I'd ever have gone back in to run those quests anyways.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Himuro posted:

Yes, but, apparently the online store had a poo poo load of post-game content and now anyone who wants to use that content is now screwed. Shame, because I never got to try it out.

You can use the content through piracy? Why is it always up to pirates to help catalog gaming history? :qq:

tragically there are no tombs of treasure to be found by plunging the depths game history

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn
DQ2 "Luminaries of the Legendary Line" is up on the App Store for 5.00!

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.

wocobob posted:

DQ2 "Luminaries of the Legendary Line" is up on the App Store for 5.00!

Ah, hey, so that's the title that was copyrighted, like, over a year ago. That gave me false hope for 7 or 10 getting announced over here! (7 still has a sliver of a chance, though.)

The incrimentally increasing price structure is pretty interesting.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BabyRyoga posted:

DQM Joker sold over 200k in North America, though.

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/3145/dragon-quest-monsters-joker/

That seems like a profitable margin for a DQ game - one that isn't even a main title at that.

VGchartz literally makes their numbers up.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

ImpAtom posted:

VGchartz literally makes their numbers up.

I told him this in the post he quoted. He still sourced a vgchartz number. :stare:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
The recent turn of this thread just makes me sad. I love how everyone and their dipshit brother buys two copies of Call of Duty 16: Let's kill more dirty foreigners, but heaven for-loving-bid anyone support deep, well-made RPG's that don't cost $60+ on release day and have a playtime longer than the natural lifespan of a suicidal mayfly.

I'm triply glad for Himuro's generosity, because I've given up on seeing DQ7 localised on the 3DS. I hope I'm wrong and, if so, day 1 purchase, but I'm not waiting for it.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I still think that if S-E played their cards right and put the remake on both 3ds and mobile in English, it'd do well. So far, we have only gotten 2d DQ remakes. I wonder if that's why. 2d FF's like VI and V don't sell nearly as well as 3d ones. Maybe it's the same pattern?

Jeff did you get the game? What did you think of the discs, particularly disc 2?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Costs more money to do poo poo for mobile too though, it's pretty different from 3DS (I assume) and is more effort.

Also doesn't fix the problem that Dragon Quest just doesn't sell well in the US. :smith:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Himuro posted:

I still think that if S-E played their cards right and put the remake on both 3ds and mobile in English, it'd do well. So far, we have only gotten 2d DQ remakes. I wonder if that's why. 2d FF's like VI and V don't sell nearly as well as 3d ones. Maybe it's the same pattern?

Jeff did you get the game? What did you think of the discs, particularly disc 2?

Well, 2D Worms games are brill and do much better than the 3D ones both in terms of sales and ratings, but those are two entirely different genres. One could say the same for Sonic.

It's supposed to arrive today, Himuro. I'll let you know this evening assuming that it's in my postbox when I get home from the office.

Shugojin posted:

Costs more money to do poo poo for mobile too though, it's pretty different from 3DS (I assume) and is more effort.

Also doesn't fix the problem that Dragon Quest just doesn't sell well in the US. :smith:

I'm aware of the issues that make them not want to port it. I'm just lamenting that half the known world will pay a huge amount for a game that's 6 hours of racism and republican kill fantasies, but we can't get 100k less stupid people to pay half the price for 8 times the game.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Shugojin posted:

It seems to me S-E (Japan of course) is doing DQ1-8 on mobile, so we'll just have to cross our fingers here. I wonder if they'll do IX. IX with some improvements to the class system would be fantastic.

Speaking of IX, IX sold pretty well in the west. So DQ not selling isn't completely accurate. VIII sold very well for what it was, and way above the average jrpg. The FF12 demo certainly helped. DQ9 still did pretty drat good for a jrpg. So the west seems to like 3d main entry DQ's, similarly to Final Fantasy I guess.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 9, 2014

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Himuro posted:

It seems to me S-E (Japan of course) is doing DQ1-8 on mobile, so we'll just have to cross our fingers here. I wonder if they'll do IX. IX with some improvements to the class system would be fantastic.

I've never played the Famicom remakes of DQ1 and 2, and I am genuinely tempted to get them on my iPod since they are so affordable. What's stopping me is that I find touch controls to be so loving annoying and unimmersive. Someone did a fine port of Mega Man 2 on iOS and the controls were so awkward I gave up.

The only games that work well are things like Angry Birds/Fruit Ninja or games (like DQ) that don't require reflexes, which is why I'm considering putting down a few $ for these ports.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

JustJeff88 posted:

I've never played the Famicom remakes of DQ1 and 2, and I am genuinely tempted to get them on my iPod since they are so affordable. What's stopping me is that I find touch controls to be so loving annoying and unimmersive. Someone did a fine port of Mega Man 2 on iOS and the controls were so awkward I gave up.

The only games that work well are things like Angry Birds/Fruit Ninja or games (like DQ) that don't require reflexes, which is why I'm considering putting down a few $ for these ports.

The DQ mobile ports are really good with controls. They give you quite a bit of options. You can move the virtual d-pad to the left, center, or right. I like to put mine on the left, and have my other thumb on the right part of the screen and tap that to treat it like a confirm button. I sometimes play it one handed with the d-pad in the center too. Like all controls, it just takes getting used to. I say give it a shot since it's so cheap.

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf

Himuro posted:

The DQ mobile ports are really good with controls. They give you quite a bit of options. You can move the virtual d-pad to the left, center, or right. I like to put mine on the left, and have my other thumb on the right part of the screen and tap that to treat it like a confirm button. I sometimes play it one handed with the d-pad in the center too. Like all controls, it just takes getting used to. I say give it a shot since it's so cheap.

I was also skeptical of getting used to the touch controls, but this series lends itself extremely well to it, given that everything's menu based and there are very very few 'action' components requiring precision. I'm not looking forward to the pitfall caves in DQ2.

I've beaten all DQs except 2. Hoping to change that with this version. I hope the difficulty is a bit more forgiving than it was in all previous versions.

Aaahhh, I can actually manually force-advance the intro to DQ2. This is great.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

JustJeff88 posted:

The recent turn of this thread just makes me sad. I love how everyone and their dipshit brother buys two copies of Call of Duty 16: Let's kill more dirty foreigners, but heaven for-loving-bid anyone support deep, well-made RPG's that don't cost $60+ on release day and have a playtime longer than the natural lifespan of a suicidal mayfly.

I'm triply glad for Himuro's generosity, because I've given up on seeing DQ7 localised on the 3DS. I hope I'm wrong and, if so, day 1 purchase, but I'm not waiting for it.

Call of Duty has multiplayer. It might not be to your taste (it isn't to mine) but it is the reason people play it so much.

rvm
May 6, 2013
So, I decided to go back and now I've beaten DQI SNES. It was short and sweet with little to no grinding required. Cute art and solid OST (Sugiyama's tunes aren't as catchy as, say, Uematsu's, but somehow get better the more you listen to them, if that makes sense), too. The playable ending was really nice as well.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

rvm posted:

So, I decided to go back and now I've beaten DQI SNES. It was short and sweet with little to no grinding required. Cute art and solid OST (Sugiyama's tunes aren't as catchy as, say, Uematsu's, but somehow get better the more you listen to them, if that makes sense), too. The playable ending was really nice as well.

I played the NES version back in late May/early June and the only reason that it had any legs is because you have to grind quite a bit to do anything and I decided to go all the way to level 30. In terms of actual content, though, no... twasn't much. That was the way, though, back then; it wasn't possible to put a lot of actual content on cartridges, so in order to make for a meaty gaming experience one had to either include lots of grind or make games balls hard in order to flesh them out. DW2, as obnoxious, arbitrary and cruel as it is on the NES, does have some content and DW3 has fucktons, as does 4.

I'm actually tempted to try DW2 on the iPod now because it's the less hateful Famicom version and I think I might rather enjoy that game if it's a version that isn't kneeing me in the man-pouch every ten seconds.

ImpAtom posted:

Call of Duty has multiplayer. It might not be to your taste (it isn't to mine) but it is the reason people play it so much.

I'm aware of that, but it's still pathetic that those repetitive, shallow games can sell over 10 milliion copies at inflated prices and DQ games can't sell a few hundred thousand copies at less per.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

It wasn't last night or earlier today, but I just checked again and DQ2 is now also on the Play store for us Android users.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Dragon Quest 9 sold well in the US for one reason: Nintendo advertised it to general audiences. There were TV commercials and everything, which focused on summarizing the concept of a fantasy RPG. Dragon Quest isn't for nerds; the series was specifically designed from the beginning to target people who don't play video games. Call of Duty reaches those numbers because it's also targeted to... well, not general audiences, but all males 14-25.

In Japan, Dragon Quest has so much momentum that it sells itself, but that's not true in the US. I'm not sure whether Square Enix knows how, in either location, to sell a game to someone who isn't already interested. And that's a problem that most of the industry has.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

JustJeff88 posted:

I'm aware of that, but it's still pathetic that those repetitive, shallow games can sell over 10 milliion copies at inflated prices and DQ games can't sell a few hundred thousand copies at less per.
Dude, this isn't an opportunity to stroke your dick about how intelligent and better you are. People buy Call of Duty games because they like them and enjoy them. Besides, Call of Duty fans and the potential market for Dragon Quest don't exactly have much overlap, so I'm not sure how it's even relevant to the sales of the series besides, again, trying to stroke your dick about how your mother always told you you were smarter than the other kids.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Bongo Bill posted:

Dragon Quest 9 sold well in the US for one reason: Nintendo advertised it to general audiences. There were TV commercials and everything, which focused on summarizing the concept of a fantasy RPG.

This is it for sure. I don't know if the advertising cost outweighed the money made on the game, but advertising was everywhere and thus, people bought the game.

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

Potsticker posted:

It wasn't last night or earlier today, but I just checked again and DQ2 is now also on the Play store for us Android users.

I seen that DQ2 was on the iTunes Store this morning and was hoping that I had missed DQ3 launching as well, but alas, my dreams were shattered. :(

I beat DQ1 last night and I really like the control scheme they have going on. At first I was resistant to it but honestly one hand controls is perfect for this sort of game. I hope Dq3 has a good price when it comes out (under 10 bucks). I would probably pay 15 though if I had to.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Bongo Bill posted:

Dragon Quest 9 sold well in the US for one reason: Nintendo advertised it to general audiences. There were TV commercials and everything, which focused on summarizing the concept of a fantasy RPG. Dragon Quest isn't for nerds; the series was specifically designed from the beginning to target people who don't play video games. Call of Duty reaches those numbers because it's also targeted to... well, not general audiences, but all males 14-25.

In Japan, Dragon Quest has so much momentum that it sells itself, but that's not true in the US. I'm not sure whether Square Enix knows how, in either location, to sell a game to someone who isn't already interested. And that's a problem that most of the industry has.

The problem is that 2d DQ isn't that marketable in the west I think. I don't think too many 2d rpgs are.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Potsticker posted:

Thanks for the heads-up, I had checked at lunchtime but no dice.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

JustJeff88 posted:

Repetitive and shallow compared to a simplistic JRPG that hasn't really changed its very basic battle system since the late eighties? I like Dragon Quest a bunch but come on man.

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

Himuro posted:

If I'm remembering correctly, all the stuff for DQ9 is actually on the cart, talking to the server just unlocked certain things based on when you logged in (the shop changed daily, all the quests and visitors were available after one year from release). So yeah, a cheat device (Action Replay? I don't know wtf exists for the DS) or an emulator which allows cheat codes would allow you access to all the 'DLC' content.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
An Action Replay can unlock all of the quests and the visitors. You can't use it to 'activate' the online store or anything, though I imagine there exists various 'give item' codes of one type or other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

Dragon Quest 9 sold well in the US for one reason: Nintendo advertised it to general audiences. There were TV commercials and everything, which focused on summarizing the concept of a fantasy RPG. Dragon Quest isn't for nerds; the series was specifically designed from the beginning to target people who don't play video games.

I find it funny you say DQ isn't for nerds when the game was inspired by things like Wizardry, Bard's Tale, and D&D.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Repetitive and shallow compared to a simplistic JRPG that hasn't really changed its very basic battle system since the late eighties? I like Dragon Quest a bunch but come on man.

The difference is that RPGs have gotten more indepth over time(FF13 excluded). The FPS genre has actively lobotomized its design to the point that when a shooter doesn't have shields and regen as a built in thing it's touted as a novelty. When people talk about running forward and nothing else that's not a joke. There might be twists and turns or stairs and ladders but those games are a one way street. Borderlands would be closer to old design.

I used to play the hell out of Ghost Recon and then I tried a newer one years back (ghost fighter or something?) and if you got too far from the team leader/host it killed your character.