Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
That still looks cozy and aesthetically pleasing, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I'd have to dig out my laptop and find my world file, but the last major housing complex I build was made out of 3-wide ice blocks so it was a snow biome for weather purposes. Otherwise it was giant rectangles floating in the sky connected by bridges, with decorations haphazardly placed as I found them. Nothing to write home about.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I think my favorite build was a simple one I whipped up while in the early stages of the game once. This was before the last major update, naturally.

The wooden posts with a backwall can give the illusion of depth and make it seem like your base has a perimeter wall.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
All this house-posting makes me want to boot up Terraria and do some building, but I promised myself to not touch the game until the next update. :negative:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Jackard posted:

Mine is "make it so you can run straight through"

So I'll build a street or something where you speedrun through single/double story houses. No hotels or apartments.

No towers unless its single shaft and flight is unlocked, to speed through them vertically.

I used to do that too, but making natural looking obstacles is now the only thing that keeps me interested in the game.

You can technically run through my town without stopping. Put your skills to the test.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

DoubleNegative posted:

I think my favorite build was a simple one I whipped up while in the early stages of the game once. This was before the last major update, naturally.

The wooden posts with a backwall can give the illusion of depth and make it seem like your base has a perimeter wall.

Its not just decorative, its also useful, as mobs can't spawn in areas covered by player placed walls, so that perimiter wall also keeps things safer for your NPCs during invasions/blood moons or what have you.

Clam Chowdown
May 8, 2006

That's an unacceptable answer, Donny!
I built most of my town before I had much gear, so it's pretty much a line of slightly spaced out empty shacks that I could easily cross from the rooftops without having to stop. My own residence is a humble two-story stone home containing a shelf and some books I snagged from the dungeon before a giant skull ate me, a dresser I swiped from hell before an imp knocked me into an ocean of lava, a small workshop to build useless things and a few chests to store it, and some chandeliers to class up the place.

One thing I did put time and heart into, however, is my backyard. It took a long time to collect the materials and paint it all afterwards, but I think it was worth it.

The angler spends about 99% of his time down there just admiring the view.

Clam Chowdown fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Oct 10, 2014

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Well, E-Tank, we found your next building project.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
A mega-project worthy of the term.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

I forgot how much half-finished stuff is going on in my sky island. The castle, of course, but I really need to clean up that tree and get rid of the monster box in the Bombcave.

I really like how my goofy mushroom-ship turned out, though.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
The sort of construction projects people get up to in this game never cease to amaze me. It's just so tedious to get anything done, what with the tiny block size and lack of any kind of auto-construction. Everything I do eventually ends up as a pile'o'boxes in the end.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Gobblecoque posted:

All this house-posting makes me want to boot up Terraria and do some building, but I promised myself to not touch the game until the next update. :negative:
I'm in the same boat. I had this problem just before the last update too. I'm too loving old to be so impatient.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Will there be some kind of save file incompatibility or character wipes with the new update in the wings, or is it just a (reasonable) case of not wanting to get back into the game until all the shiny new toys are in for you to play with on your way to the top?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

The latter.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

watho posted:

The latter.

Ditto. The GOG release of the game kindled my desire to play it again, but I'm waiting for the next patch. I have no shortage of other diversions in the meantime.

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010
How are the minecarts? I still haven't bothered with that.

I haven't really bothered with anything with wiring as it gets crazy complex, crazy quickly. Well, I did make a slime farm to finally get a damned slime staff but that's it!

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

You need a block for the railway, and 3 blocks above that - 4 in total - to allow for uninterrupted clearance for a minecart to pass through. 4 booster sections spaced every other block to provide max, or near max boost speed. -.-.-.-.- in that sort of pattern. If you have a trap tower, you can set up a automated collection service with a minecart track. It requires you to smack the end rail blocks until the bumper ending and you can rebound indefinitely doing this.

In my current world, there's a subway leading from one end of the world to the other for expediency, and it's also tall enough to prevent hallow/corruption/crimson spreading.

Edit: Also you do not need any additional material to actually make a minecart, you just click on the track and you automagically generate a cart to ride in. Carts do not lose speed from friction, so get up enough speed either by booster track, or by holding down a direction and then you can just be hands free until the desired destination.

Edit2: It's also really cheap comparatively to asphalt, and provided better convenience. I think it's 30 pieces of track for 1 iron/lead bar and some lumber.

Ulvirich fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 10, 2014

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
One more thing, before you try to create a switchback by putting a detector rail wired to a junction adjacent to a bumper: don't!

Addendum: as far as I have discovered there is in fact no non-over-complicated way to make switchbacks in Terraria, so keep that in mind before you plan any cool rail networks and save yourself a lot of tears. :negative:

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
How fast is it compared to running with frostspark boots?

I'm half tempted to try and set up teleporters to various parts of the world or something, but laying all those wires... :effort:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

GenericOverusedName posted:

How fast is it compared to running with frostspark boots?

I'm half tempted to try and set up teleporters to various parts of the world or something, but laying all those wires... :effort:

Laying all those wires is a lot easier than you might think. It seems kinda daunting, but the fact that you can place them through walls makes it sooooooooo much easier than building train tracks or whatever. As for Frostspark Boots, running is somewhat slower than using train tracks. It might be different if you laid down some asphalt.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
All these housing pics make me wanna get back into the game, but I haven't played since, I dunno, maybe a couple months after the game came out. And God drat there is a lot of stuff in this game now. So here is my question: Does anybody have, well, not a newby tutorial per se, but more of a guide in the form of "here are some things you should be aiming for after making sure you can survive the night" sort of things? I looked at the wiki but there's simply so much stuff, and I have no idea what stuff is late-game material and what's early-game material, or good ways to get abundant resources, or things like that. My biggest weakness with sandbox games like this is deciding what I need to do next when I have so many options. I barely even remember how I got half my cool stuff back when the game first came out, and a brief glance at the wiki tells me that most of it is either entirely different or not there at all anymore.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Honestly, you don't need much of a wiki for the game. The progression is still pretty much the same as it was when the game first introduced hardmode.
Talk to the guide often. He'll not only give you basic tips (which you're probably already familiar with) in terms of where to begin progression, but any time you find a new item or resource marked as a "material" you can now show it to him and he'll show you all the recipes you can make with this, which is great for both checking out the weapons and armors you should be aiming for, and finding out the kinds of decorative blocks and items you can make with what you have. So the items and equipment shouldn't be too confusing to deal with since you basically get what you can while you go, and when you find new materials always check to see if they can make anything.

The basic area progression is simple enough: explore, and if an area's too difficult for now, come back to it later. My general progression goes:
Surface > Underground > Caverns > Corruption/Crimson > Sky Islands > Dungeon > Jungle > Hell > Hardmode. Once you get to hardmode you can go for the ores (use the pwnhammer to smash demon altars to spawn in the new hardmode ores), try the new bosses, then move on to the jungle, the dungeon, and the temple as endgame areas. The game's even got text prompts in hardmode now where it'll suggest where to go next, like it'll mention the jungle has changed, or that the dungeon is full of new enemies, when those respective events are triggered.
And that's not even counting smaller biomes like ice and desert. Really, you can sort of jump around with progression for the most part. I usually do the jungle a lot later than most people seem to, for instance.

For equipment, it's tin/copper > lead/iron > tungsten/silver > platinum/gold > demonite/crimsonite > [jungle/meteor/necro/etc. depending on your class and order of progress] > hellstone > hardmode.

Also as a general tip, make sure you always have at least 1 empty house available in case a new NPC decides to move in. Because there's a whole lot of them now.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

If you can get a decent collection of bombs to mine it, dropping a meteor by smashing two shadow orbs / crimson heart things is worth it. Full Meteor Set and the Space Gun make short work of everything up to and including the Wall of Flesh.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Potential BFF posted:

If you can get a decent collection of bombs to mine it, dropping a meteor by smashing two shadow orbs / crimson heart things is worth it. Full Meteor Set and the Space Gun make short work of everything up to and including the Wall of Flesh.

If you can get a single bomb and keep it till the demolitionist moves in you can skip directly to demonite/crimtane stuff. Just buy a pile of bombs from him and mine the corrupt chasms/crimson hearts. You get weapons from orbs/hearts and if you can kill parts of the area bosses with your new weapons, you get armour/tool materials.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Are the other versions going to get any of the more recent updates, I play on the Vita and the most recent update for that was the one that added Plantera and the Pumpkin moon events.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Spergminer posted:

If you can get a single bomb and keep it till the demolitionist moves in you can skip directly to demonite/crimtane stuff. Just buy a pile of bombs from him and mine the corrupt chasms/crimson hearts. You get weapons from orbs/hearts and if you can kill parts of the area bosses with your new weapons, you get armour/tool materials.

Personal preference, really. I like the Meteor Armor and space gun setup since the laser bolts produce light and it fires so quickly. I'm not a fan of Demonite stuff in general but the Crimtane armor is great. I typically use Meteor until I get a Phoenix Blaster, then I use that and Crimtane Armor.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Geomancing posted:

One of my guiding principles of building a house is 'don't make it symmetrical'. Usually I start with following the basic contours of the land around it, building into it. Stairs are allowed and expected, and I mess around to make sure my path at a normal walking speed doesn't have too many bumps and whatnot. Other than that, I just go with little sub-rooms as the fancy takes me.

Lovely.

I've posted before my main map but now in collage form!

Also tried to make something like this (not mine):
http://imgur.com/a/od6R4

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I love that ship, especially, and the design philosophy for your town seems to work really well.

The town you linked is pretty swank, too; love the airship and the Truffle's home.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
Weird newbie-ish question: I have been playing my first character on a Small world and have followed the wiki's general walkthrough as far as progression. I'm about to enter Hard Mode and have basically pillaged this world of all resources. I was wondering, do people sometimes move characters between worlds? I have considered making a new Medium world and transferring any of my important crap to it, and spending more time crafting an elaborate home for myself and my NPCs (they are in basically a shanty town at this point). That way I'll have a whole world to explore, rather than building a crazy house/town in a world that has nothing left to offer. Or will Hard Mode rejuvenate the world enough that there will be stuff to do?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Rashomon posted:

Weird newbie-ish question: I have been playing my first character on a Small world and have followed the wiki's general walkthrough as far as progression. I'm about to enter Hard Mode and have basically pillaged this world of all resources. I was wondering, do people sometimes move characters between worlds? I have considered making a new Medium world and transferring any of my important crap to it, and spending more time crafting an elaborate home for myself and my NPCs (they are in basically a shanty town at this point). That way I'll have a whole world to explore, rather than building a crazy house/town in a world that has nothing left to offer. Or will Hard Mode rejuvenate the world enough that there will be stuff to do?

It depends on whether you like the exploration or like the challenge, really. If it's sufficient to fight the new crop of hardmode enemies in the dungeon while heading for things you already know the location of, then there's no reason to move, but if you'd rather explore a new dungeon while still fighting those enemies, totally go for a new world.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I tend to divide my worlds up between places I build more and places I fight/progress more, but that's largely because I'm not very good at planning arenas that don't look like poo poo and I'm also poo poo at not getting my NPCs killed.

So, like, I'll log into TOWNWORLD and do my shopping before loading back into MURDERPLANET2014 or whatever and getting slaughtered by Plantera.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
Cool. And do I have to do all the bosses again in a new world or can I just dig right down to Hell and fight the boss to take me to Hard Mode? I suppose I'd have to do some of them again to make NPCs show up, etc?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Rashomon posted:

Cool. And do I have to do all the bosses again in a new world or can I just dig right down to Hell and fight the boss to take me to Hard Mode? I suppose I'd have to do some of them again to make NPCs show up, etc?

You'll need to re-unlock all your NPCs, yeah. Whether you re-fight the bosses depends on what you want to do. You can fight the wall of flesh immediately on a new world if you want. However, if you have over 100HP (I think it is?) the Eye of Cthulu will come attack you at night, and you'll need to beat Skeletron again to get back in the dungeon. At your level both of those will be utterly trivial.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Rashomon posted:

You've got the right idea. The Wall of Flesh is summonable on any world with a living guide. I think you need to take out the Eye for the Dryad to show up, but beyond that, you're golden.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Qylvaran posted:

You've got the right idea. The Wall of Flesh is summonable on any world with a living guide. I think you need to take out the Eye for the Dryad to show up, but beyond that, you're golden.

The Dryad shows up after you beat any boss, most people just get her after the Eye because he's the easiest and also usually the first one people run into.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
I picked up my mage again and been churning through hardmode for the first time solo. Strangely, the hardest boss was the Twins which took like 7-8 fully-buffed attempts to get. Only 3 attempts for Destroyer and 1-shot Skeletron Prime. Managed to kill Plantera in 2 attempts and massacred Golem in like 60 seconds. I get the feeling Golem was supposed to be done before HM Dungeon, as Rainbow Gun and Magnet Orb just slaughtered him.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The Dryad shows up after you beat any boss, most people just get her after the Eye because he's the easiest and also usually the first one people run into.

I'm pretty sure it has to be one of the pre-WoF bosses, since she never showed up when I started up a world, built a bunch of houses, and dug straight down to hell to farm emblems.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

graynull posted:

I picked up my mage again and been churning through hardmode for the first time solo. Strangely, the hardest boss was the Twins which took like 7-8 fully-buffed attempts to get. Only 3 attempts for Destroyer and 1-shot Skeletron Prime. Managed to kill Plantera in 2 attempts and massacred Golem in like 60 seconds. I get the feeling Golem was supposed to be done before HM Dungeon, as Rainbow Gun and Magnet Orb just slaughtered him.

The Golem was originally open at a wider timescale, but is now supposed to be approximately the second-to-last major boss, not counting the wave events.

It has never, ever been appropriate in difficulty for where it appears in the boss order, which is just as well, since you're probably going to have to farm the gently caress out of it if you actually want any of his drops (much like any of the bosses, really). The golem is not only one of the most vulnerable bosses to arena-building, but it's located in a place that practically forces you to collect the materials to make endgame trap arenas; I almost think he's sort of a tutorial for that, in fact. And the golem is just not that threatening, having severely limited mobility compared to most bosses. Probably slightly more dangerous for a melee character, but most things are at that stage of the game.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Probably slightly more dangerous for a melee character, but most things are at that stage of the game.

Not if you stumbled onto an early crimson key mold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Oh thank gently caress I got the last two things I didn't get last year from the goodie bags. Only took an hour so I won't be burnt out on Terraria when Christmas comes around.

drat me and my love of cats, that pet was not worth all the grinding I did last year. Aspergers is a curse.

• Locked thread