Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Boy, I'm sure glad I had what probably would have been a cool moment spoiled because of goddamn quote-tags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Boy, I'm sure glad I had what probably would have been a cool moment spoiled because of goddamn quote-tags.

Radium! :argh:

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Oh boy, I sure am happy that apparently [timg] tags break spoiler tags!

Sorry. :smith:

Sato
Apr 28, 2013
I wasn't expecting Toph to look like Hama.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Is this the episode where Korra goes to Dagobah

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sato posted:

I wasn't expecting Toph to look like Hama.

Yeah, I always thought it would be great if Toph had the same exact character design as before, just slightly hunched and with grey/white hair. Oh well, glad she's back at least :)

Also out of all the things that were shown at NYCC the only thing that gets muted on Twitch is half of the new episode? Figures.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

I'm just glad that the spirits actually seem to like Korra now. I honestly thought when they were all crowding her near the tree that they were going to gently caress with her the way they did in Book 2. Also glad that they didn't use Iroh to give any helpful spiritual wisdom for 30 seconds and then be on his merry way like he did in Book 3. He's a bigger character than that and deserves more depth if they're going to use him.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
Holy poo poo that photo of Aang

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
I don't know if it's because I just woke up or what, but that ep really had me on edge.

OH GOD the adorable spirits!!! More of this, more more more!!

Also, I think my prediction was wrong. It doesn't feel like they're setting up a Mako/Korra romance at all -- given the chance to write a letter to her, Mako's is completely mundane. And then she ends up writing Asami only, because she thinks Mako and Bolin wouldn't understand her problems. It wouldn't surprise me if this season is romance-free for Korra.

Wildeyes fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Oct 10, 2014

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I liked Bolin's letter fake out, even if the joke seemed a little derivative of It's Always Sunny and Charlie. I bet it's going to get a negative reaction though because it makes Bolin appear to be functionally illiterate. And for that matter, Mako's letter seemed to put him somewhere on the Autistic spectrum. I'm typically of the mindset that as long as it's not too crazy, going for a good joke should always be done, so I was fine with both.

It was a great episode overall. The character of Korra has grown so much more depth between around the middle of season two, and now. I don't think she could have sustained her own episode as easily early on, though it's possible that more focused character study episodes like this in seasons one or two might have helped make the audience care about the cast sooner. I think it's just a shame that the show is hitting these peaks as it ends.

Nichael fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Oct 10, 2014

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Rougey posted:

Holy poo poo that photo of Aang
Yep. Hilarious.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

I lost my poo poo at that.

And then broke into tears when Toph showed up.

I'm a big dumb baby and I don't care who knows it!

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

Wildeyes posted:

Also, I think my prediction was wrong. It doesn't feel like they're setting up a Mako/Korra romance at all -- given the chance to write a letter to her, Mako's is completely mundane. And then she ends up writing Asami only, because she thinks Mako and Bolin wouldn't understand her problems. It wouldn't surprise me if this season is romance-free for Korra.

Or maybe they're setting up a Korra/Asami romance. :allears:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

DoctorX posted:

Or maybe they're setting up a Korra/Asami romance. :allears:

Like, I know it often sounds like fans are being "weird" somehow when they suggest this, but I'm all for it!

Once you strip away the bullshit homophobia it's no different from advocating LITERALLY ANY OTHER ROMANTIC RELATIONSHIP.

It'd be an amazing thing to have a bisexual hero in (ostensibly) children's programming and the subtext, while not overt, seems to be available to build upon.

Of course, the strength and nature of the friendship (particularly in S3 and S4) is by itself worthy of praise, because too much media plays women against one another over stuff like boyfriends, But it'd be kickin' rad if they made the leap beyond the easily-dismissed subtext into something more concrete.

Normalizing and representing marginalized sexual identities is big-I Important, especially with regards to protecting and nurturing the self-esteem and mental health of marginalized youth. It's worth it.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Did anyone hear what Aang ate from that vendor? It sounded not vegetarian, but I'm not sure what he said and the Nickelodeon video player is awful for playing back things.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Nichael posted:

Did anyone hear what Aang ate from that vendor? It sounded not vegetarian, but I'm not sure what he said and the Nickelodeon video player is awful for playing back things.

Sushi wraps... that don't actually have any fish in them.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

Nichael posted:

He was bending them in that photo.

I wasn't actually surprised about Bolin's pictures. He was out on the streets when he was, what, six? Mako wasn't much older so probably wasn't able to teach him much, and Chinese characters are notorious for taking a while to learn. Frankly, I was always surprised Mako was literate enough to read a newspaper. Also, did he send only pictures or was it a letter plus pictures?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Well gee, that was a pretty darn good episode! The spirits were super cute, and it was nice to see Korra get a chance to breathe and show some of her post-traumatic issues.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
This is weird, they didn't link the episode the mobile site but it's on the desktop one.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
That episode wasn't my favorite, but I am absolutely stunned at how brutal Korra's damage was. I was not expecting the whole "paraplegic for a year" thing.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Ghost Korra's wind teleportation was so awesome and I wish it were a real thing. But that's like X-Men territory.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Korra is led to a swamp by a spirit, where she meets her mentor and fights a manifestation of herself, so she can ready herself to go stop a fascist conqueror.

Who's c-3po?

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
That was my thought as well. They're playing the star wars angle hard, just like they did with that guru in s2 of avatar.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

This was a great episode. I wonder if the Avatar state is going to stick around as an antagonist.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013
Some other thoughts:

Kyoshi defeated a sharksquid with one hand? Why am I not surprised? And do Bumi and Meelo know about this?

Yay, Katara actually doing something significant! That was my one real wish for the season and I got it.

Varrick is Kuvira's silent partner--I figured the mechs were made by Future Industries because of the friendship between Bolin and Asami. Seems he's continuing his war profiteering. Wonder how much of a role he played in the Zaofu split?

How close exactly is the Swamp to Republic City? I thought it was farther but it seems to have been on the outskirts. Is it just me or did it seem a lot smaller--a result of the settlement around its borders? Wonder if Toph is going to go into that next episode and discuss the relationship between the natural world and industrialization like Bryke have been saying is a theme.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I enjoyed that episode. The whole 'haunted by your own doubts' thing is of course taken to its illogical trope-ish extreme, but aside from twenty seconds the other twenty minutes were really fun and at times moving.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

I'm not using spoilers since we're an hour past the official air date and time.

Sato posted:

How close exactly is the Swamp to Republic City? I thought it was farther but it seems to have been on the outskirts. Is it just me or did it seem a lot smaller--a result of the settlement around its borders? Wonder if Toph is going to go into that next episode and discuss the relationship between the natural world and industrialization like Bryke have been saying is a theme.

Korra wasn't in Republic City for the earthbending fight. I assume she was in whatever Earth Kingdom town it is that Toph grew up in, which is much closer to the Swamp.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Just so this doesn't get lost in the shuffle, here's something reblogged from Korranation's tumblr

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Zuko hesitates for a moment, then looks determined, "Katara, it would be my honor."

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

Regarding the end of the episode,

Regarding the prior 20 minutes, also pretty decent. I didn't realize that Korra's connection with Raava was apparently severed/severely weakened; was that previously mentioned and I forgot?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Carlton Banks Teller posted:

Regarding the prior 20 minutes, also pretty decent. I didn't realize that Korra's connection with Raava was apparently severed/severely weakened; was that previously mentioned and I forgot?

No. Korra can't go into the Avatar state - Raava is the spirit behind the avatar state.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Carlton Banks Teller posted:

It wasn't. I'm pretty sure the entire thing is a massive internal blockage, she's basically completely externalizing the Avatar State as a representation of the trauma she's been through.

I'm also kind of wondering if she didn't scare herself some, with how she fought in the Avatar State, but that hasn't been brought up just yet. But if anybody will call her on that, it's her new teacher.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

Rosalind posted:

I'm not using spoilers since we're an hour past the official air date and time.

Korra wasn't in Republic City for the earthbending fight. I assume she was in whatever Earth Kingdom town it is that Toph grew up in, which is much closer to the Swamp.

Nice, thanks. For some reason I thought she was--probably because of the end of the last episode.

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

It wasn't. I'm pretty sure the entire thing is a massive internal blockage, she's basically completely externalizing the Avatar State as a representation of the trauma she's been through.

I'm also kind of wondering if she didn't scare herself some, with how she fought in the Avatar State, but that hasn't been brought up just yet. But if anybody will call her on that, it's her new teacher.

I think that too. My guess is that she won't fully connect again until the final episode, Aang-style, which I think will be called either "Avatar Korra" or "Korra."

I'm debating whether I want her to reconnect with her past lives again. I think it's possible--I think Raava could remember them as she grows stronger after Harmonic Convergence, but I'm afraid it would feel wrong after seeing Korra's journey since Book 2 and the storytelling devices used to facilitate that.

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

she's basically completely externalizing the Avatar State as a representation of the trauma she's been through.

Yeah, definitely, and I hope the show continues taking that as a real, tangible struggle 'cause I like the Korra v. Korra fighting.

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Also a good point -- if her problem right now is flinching away from things, she can't do much better than help from Ms. "if you won't bend at it, then at least give it the honor of running your rear end over".

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
Kill Bill reference.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Toph is where weakness goes to die.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

It also doesn't hurt that she's gone through the trauma because of whole "Avatar" deal.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Akumos posted:

Kill Bill reference.

I couldn't help but smile when Katara said the line.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013
I'm curious as to what personal trauma Katara was referring to this episode when counseling Korra. Was it supposed to be Aang's or Sokka's death or something from the original series? I doubt it's anything we haven't heard about because there's really no time to introduce it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

VanSandman posted:

It also doesn't hurt that she's gone through the trauma because of whole "Avatar" deal.
Yes, she literally spent a few minutes enduring an insane amount of pain desperately trying NOT to get into the Avatar state so she could just die and the red lotus couldn't kill her in the avatar state.

• Locked thread