Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I know some chinese people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I know some Chinese

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

fart simpson would be China's white knight if the constant pollution didn't make him more of a grey knight.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

I'm just trying to say that I like China. I'm not telling you to like it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

fart simpson posted:

Shenzhen sounds better than that, plus you're a nerd who loves to argue and complain about stuff.

It's true, there's a really nice park and sports center closer to my apartment and this is a bad pollution day. But we're heading into winter and most days will be bad pollution days. It's very depressing. Even with such a green and friendly city as Chengdu. Plus there's always the spitting making GBS threads staring shouting locals, the constant lying and disdain for law and decency.

I dunno maybe Shenzhen doesn't have Chinese people?

Sogol was right, RIP, most of the trouble stems from resisting acculturation. I don't want to be Chinese and I'm surrounded by people whom I implicitly reject as peers. Of course I would never be accepted as a peer by most Chinese anyway so the whole thing is quite a pickle.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Oct 10, 2014

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Maybe you could try accepting other people?

Arakan
May 10, 2008

After some persuasion, Fluttershy finally opens up, and Twilight's more than happy to oblige in doing her best performance as a nice, obedient wolf-puppy.
Some cultures are better than others

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Man I haven't hung out with any of my Chinese friends in too long. It's starting to affect me. My good friend quit his job and now his new company has him flying to work in a different city every week.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Arakan posted:

Some cultures are better than others

Oh their culture is fine it's just their behavior and attitudes and way of life that's distasteful. (This is a joke, for those of you getting defensive about your life choices.)

But facetiousness aside the Chinese with the means to leave are voting with their feet. I believe it was MK who said that sometimes he questions why he's in china when so many Chinese people he knows are trying to get out. I know my closest Chinese friends have all discussed emigration with varying degrees of seriousness.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Oct 10, 2014

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I guess my secret is having Chinese coworkers and friends whom I respect and from whom I am respected. Maybe try that instead of disrespecting every Chinese person? Just my two mao.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

You don't have to disrespect all Chinese people to say that it's a polluted country with a lack of respect for law or decency and strong pressures for emigration. Do you actually talk to Chinese people about China? Is anything I've said factually wrong?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I am terrified of roads, I've seen two people killed on them since I moved here. I saw three in Korea during my three and a half years so China's really catching up.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Jesus you've seen two fatal accidents in eight weeks?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Well, I saw one dead guy from an accident that already happened, and then one today in front of me. Turns out when those cement trucks go blowing through a red light at 90 miles an hour blasting on their horn, you shouldn't try to cut them off in one of those tricycle smart car things.

Both on the road between ~my lovely suburb~ and Chengdu so, yet another reason I want out of this hole.

When I drive back and forth to the other school I see three to five accidents per ~45 minute trip.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Arglebargle III posted:

You don't have to disrespect all Chinese people to say that it's a polluted country with a lack of respect for law or decency and strong pressures for emigration. Do you actually talk to Chinese people about China? Is anything I've said factually wrong?

When I said Shenzhen is better, you said maybe there's no Chinese people. Then you said you implicitly reject Chinese people as your peers.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

I was going to say that I hadn't seen any death scenes since I've been here but one morning on the way to work there were a couple of police officers and a red stain at the bottom of a tower block and two shoes and a handbag nearby. The whole thing was taped off.

I haven't seen anybody dead in the UK

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

fart simpson posted:

When I said Shenzhen is better, you said maybe there's no Chinese people. Then you said you implicitly reject Chinese people as your peers.

Because he doesn't want to conform to their norms? Just as university staff are my peers but not yours. Because you aren't trying to be one.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I've never seen a death scene in China, but I've seen several in the US. :shrug:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

simplefish posted:

Because he doesn't want to conform to their norms? Just as university staff are my peers but not yours. Because you aren't trying to be one.

Yes.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

fart simpson posted:

And do they refrain from making GBS threads on the streets and in the parks, do they follow the laws and treat strangers like human beings? Maybe it is better in shenzhen, maybe the people have more suzhi I don't know. But it's not like there's a Dark Lord Sauron making cement trucks blow through red lights and making people drop trow on the sidewalk or sell fake medicine or cook with gutter oil or gather around fights in the hundreds without intervening or bribe doctors and teachers. Or maybe there is, maybe it's all the CCP's fault. But it's ridiculous to pretend that the flood of Chinese emigres are fleeing the geography or all pine for democracy.

The clannish aspect of chinese culture complicates this discussion because the nicest most welcoming person at home might sell snake oil and drive against traffic every day with a clear conscience.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Is that unique to China?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Korea does it as well, though to a lesser degree.

Edit: Degrees everywhere. I've seen plenty of people drive right through red lights in the US. It did not happen anywhere close to the... I'll be conservative and say 90% of the time that I see here.

Rule of law and general decency/courtesy are nonexistent here. Arguing against that is just delusional. That said, from what I know of history that is a phase most countries go through and hopefully China will improve too.

I don't really know anybody here yet since I just moved, but I know in Korea the younger generation is a lot better behaved and rule-respecting than the older people so there's hope.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Oct 10, 2014

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

simplefish posted:

Is that unique to China?

No tu quoque please.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Arglebargle III posted:

And do they refrain from making GBS threads on the streets and in the parks, do they follow the laws and treat strangers like human beings? Maybe it is better in shenzhen, maybe the people have more suzhi I don't know. But it's not like there's a Dark Lord Sauron making cement trucks blow through red lights and making people drop trow on the sidewalk or sell fake medicine or cook with gutter oil or gather around fights in the hundreds without intervening or bribe doctors and teachers. Or maybe there is, maybe it's all the CCP's fault. But it's ridiculous to pretend that the flood of Chinese emigres are fleeing the geography or all pine for democracy.

The clannish aspect of chinese culture complicates this discussion because the nicest most welcoming person at home might sell snake oil and drive against traffic every day with a clear conscience.

I don't understand. Are you still trying to convince me that I don't like China?

Anyway, it really is better in Shenzhen.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I've only ever seen street making GBS threads once in Shenzhen, and it was a grandma holding a baby up over a newspaper. I saw a similar thing attempted one other time, on the bus, but all the passengers yelled at the old lady and shamed her out of doing it.

e: People in my neighborhood clean up after their dogs poop on walks.

e2: I've only seen one fight in Shenzhen. The police moved in to break it up in literal seconds and then the guys stopped fighting and ran away around a corner with some police following.

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Oct 10, 2014

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
According to my buddy that moved down there Shenzhen is nothing like Beijing or Tianjin where he lived for three years. He said it's a reach to even consider them the same country and that suddenly put all of meramjert's posting in perspective for me and now I don't even really bother considering it. His experience has been so wildly different than mine I don't even know if we could actually talk about them and reach a common understanding, other than the fact that we both seem to have good local friends.

Edit: iPad posting lol

The Great Autismo! fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Oct 10, 2014

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
In the last month when I came back to China from the USA I've literally been peed on twice while walking down the street, one by a primary school boy pissing from the top step of a restaurant onto the sidewalk and another by a primary school girl who was squatting behind a tree that I curled around and promptly stepped in her puddle. Once it hit my shoe and once it hit my leg. I gotta stop walking with headphones in maybe.

Can't imagine what it looked like 5,000 years ago if Darwin is to be believed.

The Great Autismo! fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Oct 10, 2014

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I did also experience that in Korea and I'm sorry I keep bringing it up but it's my point of reference okay! But I spent a little time in a rich suburb called Bundang south of Seoul, and it was like a completely different country. People apologizing, not littering, speaking English, holding doors, helping strangers. It was actually creepy after living in Real Korea.

So I could buy Shenzhen being a lot different.

I've seen multiple street shits, including one where the mom encouraged the kid to poo poo on the sidewalk, then the kid fell over backwards into the poo poo and I busted the gently caress up laughing at the instant karma while mom flipped out.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

fart simpson posted:

I've only ever seen street making GBS threads once in Shenzhen, and it was a grandma holding a baby up over a newspaper. I saw a similar thing attempted one other time, on the bus, but all the passengers yelled at the old lady and shamed her out of doing it.

e: People in my neighborhood clean up after their dogs poop on walks.

e2: I've only seen one fight in Shenzhen. The police moved in to break it up in literal seconds and then the guys stopped fighting and ran away around a corner with some police following.

goldboilermark posted:

According to my buddy that moved down there Shenzhen is nothing like Beijing or Tianjin where he lived for three years. He said it's a reach to even consider them the same country and that suddenly put all of meramjert's posting in perspective for me and now I don't even really bother considering it. His experience has been so wildly different than mine I don't even know if we could actually talk about them and reach a common understanding, other than the fact that we both seem to have good local friends.

Edit: iPad posting lol

Hooray for Shenzhen then! Woo!

fart simpson posted:

I don't understand. Are you still trying to convince me that I don't like China?

No it was only ever you who said that. I think telling people "don't come to China" might not be just jaded expats but a sober piece of advice, which is why I keep referring to the Chinese leaving or talking about leaving. I get that expats have a reputation for being bitter and it's not undeserved, but the locals' attitudes and behavior regarding their desire to live in their own country seems like it should be a decent barometer for the real situation.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Sorry, I read your "Maybe we're just right" post as a response to me. But I guess it wasn't.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
You should come for a week in Tianjin, mj.

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Hey all, I'll be moving to China for half a year in 2 weeks! I'll be moving between the cities of Guangzhou, Hong Kong, and Changsha for the most part. Going to be doing marketing and sales consultation for a tech start up and will hopefully have some time to travel around. I've got things pretty much setup, phone, vpn, housing etc. Hopefully I won't want to kill myself by the end of this trip!

Well, unfortunately, you're arriving just as winter will start, so, you can enjoy the cold, grey and increased pollution. I'd suggest a cheap mid-winter holiday to Thailand, so you can see the sun.

I think the (justified) bitterness being voiced by those expats living here, is a long term attitude, and not really applicable to your situation. Six months is just too short to have the shine worn off.

It's just six months, you've got a job and an exit-strategy prepared, so enjoy it, make the most of it.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Guangzhou and Hong Kong won't be so cold, and the pollution won't be so bad. I don't know anything about Changsha.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
I'm confused, so is Shenzhen a nice place or not?

Don't come to Henan

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Yes, it is.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Grand Fromage posted:

So I could buy Shenzhen being a lot different.

Counterpoint: I just got back from a day in Shenzhen. I encountered street making GBS threads within a few hours of crossing the border.

Also considerably more fygm attitude and lack of respect for personal space than you see in Hong Kong.

It is not remarkably different from the rest of China tbqh.

Cuatal
Apr 17, 2007

:dukedog:
I saw one guy I'm pretty sure was dead one block from a police station with a guy standing next to him smoking a cigg and laughing. Top of the guy's head was sawed off and it was broad daylight on a busy street (right in front of the theater in WuDaoKou if anyone knows it).

For some reason I think it was a gang thing but I don't know why.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Bloodnose posted:

Counterpoint: I just got back from a day in Shenzhen. I encountered street making GBS threads within a few hours of crossing the border.

Also considerably more fygm attitude and lack of respect for personal space than you see in Hong Kong.

It is not remarkably different from the rest of China tbqh.

Shenzhen's pretty varied. Most of Nanshan and Futian south of Beihuan is pretty good. Any area other than that is pretty much normal China. It really is remarkably different from the rest of China and I'm not exaggerating when I always say that the difference between here and Dongguan is as big as the difference between here and Hong Kong. Like, I'm not downplaying anything or lying when I say I've only seen street making GBS threads one time and I've lived here for 4 and a half years.

e: where did you go on your day here?

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 10, 2014

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

No tu quoque please.

It's not that, it's that you mentioned leaving so the question is will it just be same (or similar) poo poo, different country if you gtfo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Actually I bet one reason a lot of Chinese people want to leave is because China's at the right income level where emigration to a good country is potentially in reach for a lot of people, but not at the income level where they can afford to make everything nice and good like it is in the real developed world.