Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Sato posted:

I'm curious as to what personal trauma Katara was referring to this episode when counseling Korra. Was it supposed to be Aang's or Sokka's death or something from the original series? I doubt it's anything we haven't heard about because there's really no time to introduce it.
Could be the whole "Come home after a Fire Nation raid to find her mother's corpse" thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Could be the whole "Come home after a Fire Nation raid to find her mother's corpse" thing.

I don't think this is how it happened.... if I remember correctly, she found her mother under threat from a soldier, her mother told her to run, and she went to get her father as the soldier killed her mother.

(Still obviously very traumatic, though.)

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Not to mention she couldn't save Jet, who she did once have a big crush on it seemed. Aang was zapped right in front of her, even if she was able to bring him back. Her mom died to protect her.

That's a lot of violent death for a 14 year old to experience.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
Prediction: Toph's gonna lead Korra to a cave where she finds this:

edit: Or this I guess, same thing really

Hauldren Collider fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Oct 10, 2014

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I actually remember the soldiers taking Katara's mother away after she waterbended slightly to prove she could, and then she died in captivity. I could be remembering this wrong though.

Given that we haven't heard of any major conflicts between ATLA and Korra, I have to assume Katara is referencing the events of the series. She became a badass waterbender after being pretty bad at it in season 1, but she definitely got into a lot of life and death struggles at a very young age. The loss of her mother and oppression of her village (Southern tribe is barely scraping by at the start of ATLA) are probably what she refers to when she talks about her hardships, though.

Aside liking that Korra's recovery is taking a very long time (3 years and she's not in top shape physically or mentally, which is far longer than I think anyone was expecting), I like that Korra was a natural bending/fighting prodigy, so she is confronted with a physical hardship to overcome. As Katara points out, Aang wasn't as skilled a fighter, necessarily, but he was confronted with a more spiritual conflict through having to deal with the loss of his entire culture and (in the last season) how to fulfill his duties as an avatar without abandoning the pacifist beliefs of the air nomads.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Excellent episode, but am I the only one who thought Katara was being hella condescending?

"Oh Korra, I understand exactly what you're going through. You think you have it tough? Aang also had it tough!"

Lady, this is why Sokka gave the speeches.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013
^^^^^^^^^^^

I was fully expecting Korra to snap at her after that. Of course Korra knew what Aang had gone through, he was her immediate predecessor and former life. She probably grew up hearing stories about him like Jinora did.

I figured the Katara reference was to Aang's death since for the most part she seems to have been reduced to Aang's widow/mother of his kids in this series, but all the original series references fit too. From the way she was speaking I though we were supposed to know what she was talking about since she spoke as if there were one main trauma in her life.

Also, Hauldren Collider's picture reminded me of how awesome the whole "Avatar State Korra slowly and ominously dragging Actual Korra into a pool of mercury" sequence was. Props to the crew for doing that so well.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
I honestly hope the weird ghost Korra is Raava trying to reconnect with her but is doing it hamhandedly because spirits are giant children.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013
Which would be ironic because that little insignificant spirit was the only one that could really cut through the crap for Korra. Maybe the more important a spirit is the more it can only communicate through metaphor?

Sato fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 10, 2014

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Sato posted:

I'm debating whether I want her to reconnect with her past lives again. I think it's possible--I think Raava could remember them as she grows stronger after Harmonic Convergence, but I'm afraid it would feel wrong after seeing Korra's journey since Book 2 and the storytelling devices used to facilitate that.
Korra making up with the Raava does not mean reconnecting with her past lives.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
Gosh, they're still knocking it out of the park so far! I don't think there's been a poor episode since season 2. Though, I am a little sad since I prefer Makani's design for Old Toph a bit more than the official one.

Kojiro fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Oct 10, 2014

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Hah! Ghost Avatar is the fuckin Terminator and fights really cool.
(Kind of Like that time when Ichigo fought white Ichigo in Bleach, when the series was damned good)

I am so hype for this season now.

Also Kuvira's fighting style is a real breath of fresh air. No one in both series has been so business-like and ruthlessly efficient in their moves.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

You could say...

:horatio:

She makes her trains run on time.

But in all seriousness, I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how Korra's training goes. Though I'm also curious to see what Kuvira will do to make herself Korra's final antagonist; as of now, she really hasn't done anything that necessitates Korra stepping in to bring her down.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

Jackard posted:

Korra making up with the Raava does not mean reconnecting with her past lives.

Oh, I know. I was debating with myself whether I wanted that to be part of it.

Regalingualius posted:

But in all seriousness, I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how Korra's training goes. Though I'm also curious to see what Kuvira will do to make herself Korra's final antagonist; as of now, she really hasn't done anything that necessitates Korra stepping in to bring her down.

Interfering with the new Earth King's coronation in some way would do. As would trying to reclaim the territory ceded to the United Republic.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Sato posted:

Interfering with the new Earth King's coronation in some way would do. As would trying to reclaim the territory ceded to the United Republic.

I could see Korra not letting the Earth King just return to power, though - maybe she institutes a democracy, I don't know.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Also Kuvira's fighting style is a real breath of fresh air. No one in both series has been so business-like and ruthlessly efficient in their moves.
I don't know, she really reminds me of Unalaq when he fought Bolin and Mako. Although it may just be the fact that she only uses her arms to attack.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

VanSandman posted:

I could see Korra not letting the Earth King just return to power, though - maybe she institutes a democracy, I don't know.

It would probably depend on the will of the people and the capabilities of Prince Wu himself (oh god). Kyoshi interfered with a tyrannical Earth King but she didn't overthrow him and institute democracy, she just added the Dai Li. The Earth Queen may have been awful but Ba Sing Se descended into chaos when she was gone. Plus, it was Zaheer and co. that killed her, not the marauding gangs or anything so reinstituting the monarchy could be seen as restoring order and the natural balance. I think the Earth Kingdom is heading towards the end of monarchy but I think it'll be as a result of Kuvira and Wu's actions this season, not from Korra interfering with the coronation.

I really didn't intend to write that much.

And I agree, Unalaq was meant to be like a fencer and very restrained and businesslike, especially when compared to his brother. Lin is also pretty no-nonsense when bending (besides her battle with Suyin).

Sato fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Oct 10, 2014

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

Kojiro posted:

Gosh, they're still knocking it out of the park so far! I don't think there's been a poor episode since season 2. Though, I am a little sad since I prefer Makani's design for Old Toph a bit more than the official one.

I preferred Makani's prior old-tophs before it got all soft-and-rounded and hedge-witchy: more like the end of this scale. Also, I'd love it if they hired her to illustrate future avatar-world comics. C'mon and kickstart some Valve money her way!

Carlton Banks Teller fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Oct 10, 2014

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

spirit puppy best puppy

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Has anyone tried smacking Korra in the small of the back with a rock?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

Excellent episode, but am I the only one who thought Katara was being hella condescending?

"Oh Korra, I understand exactly what you're going through. You think you have it tough? Aang also had it tough!"

Lady, this is why Sokka gave the speeches.

The point is that she had overcome trauma before.

Mazreal
Oct 5, 2002

adjusts monocle

VanSandman posted:

Has anyone tried smacking Korra in the small of the back with a rock?

Toph will prescribe another bout of mercury poisoning to cure Korra.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Sato posted:

The Earth Queen may have been awful but Ba Sing Se descended into chaos when she was gone.
That was probably from breaking down the walls segregating the poors from the rich she had erected in the first place.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013
She didn't erect those walls. They existed during Aang's time and presumably before--I don't remember if they were included in Kyoshi's story. My guess is that they were erected when the city was built.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Bongo Bill posted:

The point is that she had overcome trauma before.
How does that help Korra? Like, this girl's in the intensive care unit trying to learn how to dress herself without help and Katara's like "I know your life sucks right now, but hey, try fighting a war! I've totes been in your shoes before!"

Like, I get the point of the scene, it just felt super patronizing.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet
1. Toph "sees" auras. Nice Crone upgrade.

2. Korra probably should have wandered around longer than 6 months. Her muscles didn't really atrophy while she was out of commission which was also odd. On second thought Korra was she hulk in certain close ups from the earlier seasons.

3. You know what tipped me off about the spirit puppy? It was just a puppy. Non hybrids are oddities in avatarverse.

4. Why were the sparring partners acting like dicks? They didn't even bow before walking off.

5. The Avatar State Poltergeist probably led her to the cage match so it could be associated with getting beat up. Now it can hurt her psychosomatically. (That or the writers took the easy route and went full Dagobah.

6. What did you expect of Bolin? He was a petty criminal street urchin until he was allowed to sleep in a gym's attic. He can still probably read better than Mike Tyson.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

NowonSA posted:

I actually remember the soldiers taking Katara's mother away after she waterbended slightly to prove she could, and then she died in captivity. I could be remembering this wrong though.

Yeah, you are mis-remembering that entirely. When the Southern Raiders came to their village, Katara ran back to their tent, only to find a soldier there with her mother. Kya sent her to find her father, and we learned in The Southern Raiders that once Katara left, the solider (Yon Rha) told her he had come for the waterbender. Kya told him it was her to protect Katara and said she was his prisoner, to which Yon Rha responded they weren't taking any prisoners. Katara called Hakoda back to the tent, where Kya's body was found. I've always assumed Katara saw the charred body, which is partly why she was so hosed up over it.

BrianWilly posted:

How does that help Korra? Like, this girl's in the intensive care unit trying to learn how to dress herself without help and Katara's like "I know your life sucks right now, but hey, try fighting a war! I've totes been in your shoes before!"

The point is to tell someone on the verge of losing hope and giving up that it has been done before and that they can do it too. It's the same method Roku used with Aang when he was panicking, to explain that the Avatar had mastered the four elements thousands of times before, and he could do it again. It's easy for someone who is afraid or grieving to lose hope or the strength to go on, Katara was just reminding Korra how the last Avatar had lost so much and refused to be destroyed by it.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

Because Korra has overcome trauma before.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

Well that sounds pretty true-to-life for situations like that, then.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Hauldren Collider posted:

Prediction: Toph's gonna lead Korra to a cave where she finds this:

edit: Or this I guess, same thing really

There's already some pretty great fanart on this subject from just after the season 4 trailer dropped:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Holy gently caress.
HOLY gently caress.

I'm totally down with the rest of the season just being Toph-Yoda training montages.

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!

Sato posted:

I'm debating whether I want her to reconnect with her past lives again. I think it's possible--I think Raava could remember them as she grows stronger after Harmonic Convergence, but I'm afraid it would feel wrong after seeing Korra's journey since Book 2 and the storytelling devices used to facilitate that.

I've seen others refer to the possability of Korra reconnecting with past lives and I don't understand where this idea comes from. In season 2 they pretty clearly showed the 'past lives' getting disintegrated when Unalaq ripped Raava out of Korra and kept hitting her. To me it looked pretty clear that whatever memory of past lives Raava retained were gone, gone for good, hence the next season being called "Change".
It's sorta like watching the entire original series hoping that Aang would discover a secret colony of Airbenders who escaped being killed.

Also speaking of past lives, it must have been super weird for Katara to hang out with/recouperate someone who she literally used to be married to but is now in a different body. Of course, I don't think the show has been clear yet whether only the Avatar reincarnates, or if everyone in the world reincarnates and only the Avatar remembers their past lives.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Sato posted:

And I agree, Unalaq was meant to be like a fencer and very restrained and businesslike, especially when compared to his brother.
It's too bad that this aspect of his character only comes through during that fight against Bolin and Mako though. And it's funny that you should mention Tonraq, since that battle was probably the one into which Unalaq was the least restrained.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Sithsaber posted:

1. Toph "sees" auras. Nice Crone upgrade.

I dunno, I honestly thought that she just knew it was the Avatar because she maybe has a similar gait to Aang or something, seeing as she calls Korra "Twinkle Toes" which referred to how light on his feet Aang was :shrug: could go either way

Also I never thought that Bolin was just drawing pictures because...how the gently caress do you get a narrative like that based solely on pictures :confused: I mean I don't know a lot about character based languages but there must be rudimentary or rather childish forms of them as well. I honestly thought Bolin just sent her pictures to go along with his letter because he's that kind of guy

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

King of Foolians posted:

I've seen others refer to the possability of Korra reconnecting with past lives and I don't understand where this idea comes from. In season 2 they pretty clearly showed the 'past lives' getting disintegrated when Unalaq ripped Raava out of Korra and kept hitting her. To me it looked pretty clear that whatever memory of past lives Raava retained were gone, gone for good, hence the next season being called "Change".
It's sorta like watching the entire original series hoping that Aang would discover a secret colony of Airbenders who escaped being killed.

Also speaking of past lives, it must have been super weird for Katara to hang out with/recouperate someone who she literally used to be married to but is now in a different body. Of course, I don't think the show has been clear yet whether only the Avatar reincarnates, or if everyone in the world reincarnates and only the Avatar remembers their past lives.

The Avatar reincarnates because Raava can reincarnate. The only thing that I think comes close is when Yue turns into the moon spirit.

Now that's something I wish was explored more: humans turning into spirits. We know that spirits can jump into bodies and leave physical "footprints".

Also: The Painted Lady. Why is she the only spirit that looks human?

Spoilers for Korra vidya game: Final boss Hundun could possibly be another humanoid spirit. In an interview one of the Activision guys said he's fought a previous avatar and only existed in the Spirit world (though he could have been exiled there for some reason)

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

hiddenriverninja posted:

Also: The Painted Lady. Why is she the only spirit that looks human?

The latest comic series, The Rift, has some fairly human-looking spirits!

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Aces High posted:

Also I never thought that Bolin was just drawing pictures because...how the gently caress do you get a narrative like that based solely on pictures :confused: I mean I don't know a lot about character based languages but there must be rudimentary or rather childish forms of them as well. I honestly thought Bolin just sent her pictures to go along with his letter because he's that kind of guy
Same here, Bolin's narration was trying way too hard, I don't know how you could get something like that out of pictures.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Aces High posted:

My impression, given the overly fanciful language (on the morrow, trepidation, etc.) and that we only see his crude drawings, was that he really did just send along some pictures. Just because we're hearing Bolin's voice doesn't mean that's necessarily the message that Korra is getting: we're hearing Bolin's thoughts when we sent the letters. We're hearing the thoughts of Mako and Asami during their letters too, it's just that they were able to directly put those thoughts onto paper as words.

It's basically a nickelodeon version of an Always Sunny Charlie joke, but I thought it worked pretty well. If we were meant to think Bolin had sent along a letter with words, we would have seen one at some point while we were hearing him speak. It also would take out a quick little joke, and given how bleak the episode to that point (and indeed, most of the episode entirely) was, I have to assume they meant to have a joke in there to ease the tension. If I was a 10 or 12 year old kid watching Korra and watching her kick butt, I'd be pretty depressed to see her in such a poor state, and eager for her to run around kicking butt again, and I think Bolin's letters is a pretty perfectly aimed joke for kids. I would have been laughing like hell if I was younger.

Anyway, sorry to rant there. In other news, I can't wait for Korra to be back to her old awesome self!

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
I don't know, I really thought that the joke was having Bolin trying way too hard on the written part of the correspondance, using super-fancy words without realizing that it makes the letter ridiculous, but being his usual naive and a bit childish self with the drawings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I just assumed Meelo drew the pictures.

• Locked thread