Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

razorscooter posted:

It's actually two flat plane V8s joined together in a single block with some gears in the middle to send it all out to the transaxle out back, because a regular V16 would have been slightly less ludicrous than two engines.

I dunno, crankshaft lash on a powerful V16 seems like it'd be pretty ludicrous.

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

I take it you love the inline 8 all wheel drive ford Tempo then

what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

atomicthumbs posted:

I dunno, crankshaft lash on a powerful V16 seems like it'd be pretty ludicrous.

what

Cadillac said with the 1000hp v16 in the cadillac sixteen concept, they had to adjust the timing on the last few cylinders because of the amount the crank flexed under load. This engine might not have the same issue because the load is on the center, rather than the end.

apparently the block weight 175lbs, only 68 more than an LS6 block

Powershift fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Oct 11, 2014

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Powershift posted:

Cadillac said with the 1000hp v16 in the cadillac sixteen concept, they had to adjust the timing on the last few cylinders because of the amount the crank flexed under load.
That sounds quite disturbing from an engineering perspective.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Yeah, that was GM's slogan at the time.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Powershift posted:

This engine might not have the same issue because the load is on the center, rather than the end.

Fun fact; the Porsche 917's flat-12 (actually, 180-degree V12) takes power off the centre of the engine via a gear-driven jackshaft...I imagine the experimental 16-cylinder 917 engine did the same.

Also of note is that Porsche attempted to do the same thing with a naturally-aspirated, V12 successor to their TAG-badged F1 engine, but that engine, the Porsche 3512, turned out to be an unmitigated failure on account of its size and weight. On the other hand, the failure of the 3512 forced Porsche to design a V10 successor, which was ultimately developed into the engine found in the Carrera GT, so it wasn't all bad in the end.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Don't a few longer engines run the timing chain/gear/whatever in the middle for the same reason? Seems like it would have solved the Cadillac engine's problems, anyway.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Im pretty sure the central takeoff in the 917 was purely to drive the fan though under the assumption if the engine wasnt turning anymorw you didnt really need the fan any more.

E: i should find the pictures I posted a few years ago of the last 917 built using a dragons horde of NOS parts including the last unused NOS 917 frame

INCHI DICKARI fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Oct 11, 2014

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

Im pretty sure the central takeoff in the 917 was purely to drive the fan though under the assumption if the engine wasnt turning anymorw you didnt really need the fan any more.

E: i should find the pictures I posted a few years ago of the last 917 built using a dragons horde of NOS parts including the last unused NOS 917 frame

Not quite; there are two shafts driven off the central gear. The upper one drives the fan and distributors, the lower one is actually where the drive comes off the engine.

And yes, post those pictures!

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Yet also gives me a very weird boner.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

gently caress, that thread was amazing

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

MrChips posted:

Not quite; there are two shafts driven off the central gear. The upper one drives the fan and distributors, the lower one is actually where the drive comes off the engine.

Complicated :v:
No wonder trying to put a porsche designed flat 12 in a 1948 car bankrupted cisitalia.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Fucknag posted:

Don't a few longer engines run the timing chain/gear/whatever in the middle for the same reason? Seems like it would have solved the Cadillac engine's problems, anyway.

No, it wouldn't have. The timing chain is only responsible for the cams, which would flex a lot less than the crank; the crank will flex the most wildly at the point furthest from the transmission. They would essentially have had really unusually ground cams where the lobes for the last few cylinders would have been in the 'wrong' place compared to the others from a purely theoretical standpoint, unless timing just refers to ignition timing. In that case, the last few cylinders would've been making less power than the frontmost because they would have slightly retarded cam timing under full load.

The cizeta would not have had any of these issues because it had the transmission load in the center and had two crankshafts anyway AFAIK.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Photodump of the 917 engine build

Titanium crankshaft

Porsche crankshaft part number, call up the dealer$$$hip for a price quote :v:

Manufacturers mark

Titanium rods

Titanium driveshaft

Oil pump assembly

I really hope this old guy's name is Hans or something

:flashfap:

Piston and Cylinder

Low compression :v:

Cam carriers

Valve lapping

Cylinder head

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Pictures of receiving the last NOS frame and assembling a rolling chassis

The chassis weighs 109 lbs. Back in the day they even had bungs on them because the frames were pressurized, so the technicians could check to see if they were cracked anywhere by the fact of whether or not they held pressure.

Porsche was known for their welding skills :v:

Making shocks

Pressing bearings

Titanium hardware

Original 917 Balsa wood shift knob for weight savings

Axles

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I think I need a few minutes alone after seeing that. :kimchi:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
There's a lot more, unfortunately the pictures of hand laying the fiberglass in the body molds are so tiny as to be nearly illegible but the final assembly probably has 200 or 300 pictures alone to a full running chassis. I'm working on it, to say the least. It's worth the repost.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Why bother with drive shafts with cardan joints if there's a rag joint in there too :psyduck:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Imgur is being cranky about finishing up the batches but for teaser for tomorrow for those of you who havent seen these already:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

EightBit posted:

Why bother with drive shafts with cardan joints if there's a rag joint in there too :psyduck:

Different functions. Cardan joints allow for angle changes, rag joints primarily absorb torsional vibrations.

It's basically a CV axle with a damper stuck in the middle. Those engines have basically no flywheel, and with all the titanium you can imagine how light the rotating assembly is. That means the entire drivetrain accelerates a lot with each cylinder firing and decelerates a lot on each compression stroke; even with the close angle spacing of a 12-cylinder engine, that's a whole lot of oscillation above and below the average drivetrain speed. It puts a lot of strain on lovely 70s tires; the rag joint helps dissipate that and give the car smooth power delivery while still having an engine that revs to the moon at the touch of a feather (which you wouldn't get by slapping a big heavy flywheel on there, which is the solution on street cars).

E: Also meant to mention, they probably use double cardans over typical ball-in-groove CV joints because the latter couldn't handle the 600 or so horsepower with late 60s metallurgy.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Oct 11, 2014

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
13 INCH, we salute you

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Holy poo poo, this is amazing. I haven't seen these before. Judging by the cars in some of the photos, looks like this took place some time in the mid-90's? What's the back story here? Looking forward to the rest of the pictures.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

Porsche was known for their welding skills :v:

See? You've all been giving me poo poo for my welds when I've got Porsche Le Mans winning quality welds.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Fucknag posted:

Different functions. Cardan joints allow for angle changes, rag joints primarily absorb torsional vibrations.

It's basically a CV axle with a damper stuck in the middle. Those engines have basically no flywheel, and with all the titanium you can imagine how light the rotating assembly is. That means the entire drivetrain accelerates a lot with each cylinder firing and decelerates a lot on each compression stroke; even with the close angle spacing of a 12-cylinder engine, that's a whole lot of oscillation above and below the average drivetrain speed. It puts a lot of strain on lovely 70s tires; the rag joint helps dissipate that and give the car smooth power delivery while still having an engine that revs to the moon at the touch of a feather (which you wouldn't get by slapping a big heavy flywheel on there, which is the solution on street cars).

E: Also meant to mention, they probably use double cardans over typical ball-in-groove CV joints because the latter couldn't handle the 600 or so horsepower with late 60s metallurgy.

I'd say they're probably a lot lighter too.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Holy poo poo, this is amazing. I haven't seen these before. Judging by the cars in some of the photos, looks like this took place some time in the mid-90's? What's the back story here? Looking forward to the rest of the pictures.

I'm not sure I'll see what I can dig up tonight after work but in the unboxing picture with the Z3 isnt that an early to mid 00s Honda Odyssey behind it?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

I'm not sure I'll see what I can dig up tonight after work but in the unboxing picture with the Z3 isnt that an early to mid 00s Honda Odyssey behind it?

1999-2004 (the 2005 lost the roof rails)

edit: 2003

http://www.gunnarracing.com/project/Carl917/Carl917-1111.htm

nm fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Oct 11, 2014

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream
That is an awesome ride, officer 13 inch!!!! Thanks for sharing it. Those mechanical guys look like they should be wearing 'Vote 4 Pedro' shirts :). Transmission seems unusually long, what is that a 7-speed in there??? Did a clutch myself, on a '92 Toyota Corolla

e: minor details

A3th3r fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Oct 12, 2014

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

A3th3r posted:

That is an awesome ride, officer 13 inch!!!! Thanks for sharing it. Those mechanical guys look like they should be wearing 'Vote 4 Pedro' shirts :). Transmission seems unusually long, what is that a 7-speed in there??? Did a clutch myself, on a toyota corolla

That's how long the average transmission is. Is your transmission that much shorter? :cawg:

Powershift fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Oct 12, 2014

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Last local C&C of the year saw some interesting stuff:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I love Countaches but I'd kill for a Diablo in that metallic pink purple some of them came in.

First photodump of the final assembly of the 917 after the bodywork was molded.

Original Cibie headlights

Shifter with reverse lockout lever

Making a ballast resistor

Clutch balancing marks

Ballast resistors in place

starwarsimperialmarch.mp3

Fuel pumps I think

Fabricating fuel lines

Using the Porsche factory tool to make brake lines

A 917 brake flaring

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Photodump 2

NOS 917 rear window

917 Caliper bits

Different styles of 917 Caliper, early, Gulf converted Girling, Girling, and then later styles if I remember correctly

Marking out the fuel tank for the fuel cell/etc

Nut coolers

Brake coolers

This man's hands have had better sex in one afternoon than you or I will ever have in our entire lives

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Final run:

Not pictured: throbbing erection the approximate length of Mulsanne

The first start

Fuel cell

Oil tank

:awesome:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

drat that is a :flashfap: of a photo dump. Glad that it was so well documented.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
needs more aero imo

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Chinatown posted:

needs more aero imo

*cant hear you*
*does 230mph in the rain at 2am in the dark*

Wikipedia posted:

There are at least eleven variants of the 917. The original version had a removable long tail/medium tail with active rear wing flaps, but had considerable handling problems at high speed because of significant rear lift. The handling problems were investigated at a joint test at the Österreichring by the factory engineers and their new race team partners John Wyer Engineering and after exhaustive experimentation by both groups, a shorter, more upswept tail was found to give the car more aerodynamic stability at speed. The changes were quickly adopted into a new version of the 917, called the Kurzheck, or short-tail, with the new version being called the 917K

Or maybe the twin turbo curbstomp of a car the 917-30 is a little more your flavor

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
And just in case anybody could keep up with *that* motherfucker...

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Porsche... and Audi?!?!?!?!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Fayez Butts posted:

Porsche... and Audi?!?!?!?!

Well, they're both basically Volkswagen, right?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
What is a ballast resistor?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

MetaJew posted:

What is a ballast resistor?

Lowers the coil voltage to around 9V (and surely limits the current too, but IDR what the actual values are) for less energy while running. Typically bypassed while starting. Modern coils don't need one, I don't think; anyway my MSD blaster coil doesn't use one whereas my stock one did. I want to say that it was for preservation of the coil windings so they wouldn't melt under sustained operation? Someone older than me who was actually around then could probably clarify.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Well, at least the fuel system is modern.

Wonder what kind of lap times they did around Willow Springs. When I was doing the time attack thing our best time was a 1:23.1 in a subaru with treaded r-comps. A Porsche cup car will go 1:19 or so.

jamal fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Oct 12, 2014