Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

You should take your meds man. You sound like a crazy person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

FIRST EBOLA GOON AVOID ALL POSTS SPEWING EBLOA SHIT POSTS EVERWHERE
I'm literally retarded
We are sure to get a raft of bad movies out of this mess. Scripts being pitched at this very moment, sez I.
Assuming there is still a movie industry.
Nobody with sense would go to a theatre during an outbreak.

zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

I'm literally retarded

Prester John posted:

You should take your meds man. You sound like a crazy person.
I take my meds every morning at 10 A.M. exactly, thank you kindly. All six of them. Only two are psychotropics.
Consider the following:
"When the going gets weird , the weird turn pro."-Hunter S. Thompson
2015 will tell the tale.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

I'm literally retarded

NihilismNow posted:

100k is only 2000 per state or one in 3000 people. I would be extremely suprised if a developed country can not isolate 1/3000th of the population. Project it onto a small town of 50k which means the local hospital would have to isolate ~15 people.
To me as a layman this seems very manageable.

This is a very comforting post.

zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

I'm literally retarded
Is there any solid data on whether or not Ebola refugees (the rich ones) are touching down in south America or Mexico?
Any clusters?
I seem to recall a post in this thread on this matter much earlier but it was deemed not credible.
If the E gets across the Atlantic, could be large problemo.
Note: I have read all of this thread. It took a while.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

This guy posts exactly like a literal crazy person that was in the EVE thread.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

zimboe posted:

Good idea in Britain, educate the people with drills so they know what to do if the E gets here in a serious way. It will give them some sense of power over this invisible assassin.
We are at war with this nano-terrorist in every sense. And that's just what E is.
"We have more to fear from fear than from the E". to paraphrase Churchill.
Get people trained, now, before Fear turns us all into panicky dumb animals.
We need to start thinking on a wartime basis.
Even the terrorists and their douchetank sponsors are scared of E, I plumb reckon.
That's why I don't think ISIS or whoever the current hobgoblin-of-the-day is will try to use this in a terrorist attack. They would lose all support from everyone, as well as crossing the WMD line.
You can't kill Ebola with a bullet, but you sure can kill any who deliberately spread it with one.
How long before other parts of Africa create a cordon sanitaire around WA, backed up with riflemen? Assuming this is even feasible? One guy every hundred yards, shoot anyone heading out of the Hot Zone?
Is it happening now?
A DEZ, if you will.

Indeed citizen. And remember, VOTE UKIP.

edit: wait you're not even from the UK, you're just incoherent. Do you have a fever?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
My question was seemingly lost in the sea of :derp: so I ask again to anyone with more knowledge of this poo poo than me, wouldn't those disposable tyvek painter suits/gloves/face mask make a reasonable ghetto protection?

plushpuffin
Jan 10, 2003

Fratercula arctica

Nap Ghost

zimboe posted:

I have heard that copper is anti bacterial- that's why doorknobs are/were made of brass.
Howbout colloidal silver laundry detergentTM ? A big seller to the suckers, I bet. $100 a bag- fools will buy it.
"Gets your clothes cleaner and brighter and Ebola proof!"
Again, I predict.

Oligodynamic effect

The oligodynamic effect (Greek: oligos = few, Greek: dynamis = force) was discovered in 1893 by the Swiss Karl Wilhelm von Nägeli as a toxic effect of metal ions on living cells, algae, molds, spores, fungi, viruses, prokaryotic andeukaryotic microorganisms, even in relatively low concentrations. This antimicrobial effect is shown by ions of mercury, silver, copper, iron, lead, zinc, bismuth, gold, aluminium, and other metals.

Many infections can be spread by doorknobs. Brass doorknobs disinfect themselves in about eight hours, while stainless steel and aluminium knobs never do. Unvarnished brass doorknobs therefore tend to be more sanitary than stainless or aluminium doorknobs. The effect is important in hospitals, and useful in any building.

zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

I'm literally retarded

various cheeses posted:

This guy posts exactly like a literal crazy person that was in the EVE thread.

Nope. Not crazy.
I am just trying to descry what's coming so I know what to do and when: when to bolt and run; when to panic; or when to dance and laugh hysterically in the deserted streets.
There is little cause for panic , I think.
I am not personally worried; I am in China right now, and I have confidence in the Chicom gummint to control any plague. They knocked down the SARS pretty good.
Note: I haven't turned on a TV in five years (it is SO irritating to me), so I am immune to the fear-mongering in the MSM.
This thread is the most reliable source of information I have found on this mess- because the data is filtered through hundreds of high performance Goon minds, all with functional and unclogged bullshit filters. Thank you sincerely for this very valuable service.

zimboe fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Oct 11, 2014

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

zimboe posted:

Nope. Not crazy.

Sounds like something a crazy person would say.

zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

I'm literally retarded

plushpuffin posted:

Oligodynamic effect

The oligodynamic effect (Greek: oligos = few, Greek: dynamis = force) was discovered in 1893 by the Swiss Karl Wilhelm von Nägeli as a toxic effect of metal ions on living cells, algae, molds, spores, fungi, viruses, prokaryotic andeukaryotic microorganisms, even in relatively low concentrations. This antimicrobial effect is shown by ions of mercury, silver, copper, iron, lead, zinc, bismuth, gold, aluminium, and other metals.

Many infections can be spread by doorknobs. Brass doorknobs disinfect themselves in about eight hours, while stainless steel and aluminium knobs never do. Unvarnished brass doorknobs therefore tend to be more sanitary than stainless or aluminium doorknobs. The effect is important in hospitals, and useful in any building.

But is it antiviral?
Thank you for some solid data.
e: sorry it does say viral.

zimboe fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Oct 11, 2014

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

zimboe posted:

Nope. Not crazy.

you advised people produce home made plague doctor costumes as a rational reaction to ebola

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Evilreaver posted:

Sounds like something a crazy person would say.

My favorite part is when he does the ellipsis on a single line.

Also yeah most of our incubators at work have a copper lining to prevent microbial growth/cross contamination of samples.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Irregardless of your actual points, only an insane person would format their posts like yours.

plushpuffin
Jan 10, 2003

Fratercula arctica

Nap Ghost

zimboe posted:

But is it antiviral?
Thank you for some solid data.

The very text you quoted says that it affects viruses, but if you had followed the link:

"Bacteria are in general affected by the oligodynamic effect. Viruses in general are not very sensitive to this effect."

zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

I'm literally retarded

various cheeses posted:

My favorite part is when he does the ellipsis on a single line.

Also yeah most of our incubators at work have a copper lining to prevent microbial growth/cross contamination of samples.

the ... is because this forum won't do paragraph indents. It ignores tabs/leading spaces.
Or will it? don't know the command that will do it.
Or it indicates a change in subject.
It's just my writing style; don't blow out a hemorrhoid about it. People will think you got the E.
So I like typographical tricks.
so sue me.

zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

I'm literally retarded

CoolCab posted:

you advised people produce home made plague doctor costumes as a rational reaction to ebola

As a last resort, and to reduce fear. Fear is the enemy here, and anything that people do that can protect themselves will reduce that fear.
Even if it is only a placebo.

That is the main point I have tried to get across in many posts: the Fear of this relatively controllable virus will do more to derange the social and cultural structure than the virus itself.
MSM is stoking this fear for ratings. This is, to say the least, counterproductive.

zimboe fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Oct 11, 2014

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

zimboe posted:

As a last resort, and to reduce fear. Fear is the enemy here, and anything that people do that can protect themselves will reduce that fear.

If I saw someone walking down the street with kleenex boxes on their feet and their head wrapped in toilet paper I would be plenty scared.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

zimboe posted:

I feel better already!

zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

I'm literally retarded

Clipperton posted:

If I saw someone walking down the street with Kleenex boxes on their feet and their head wrapped in toilet paper I would be plenty scared.

Join the crowd! Start a trend.
And you would think -seriously- should I wear Kleenex boxes? What does that guy know that I don't?

zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

I'm literally retarded

CoolCab posted:

I feel better already!

This guy was thinking in the correct direction. They'd stuff the beak full of herbs and stuff hoping to stop the Yersina Pestis bug- still thinking disease was caused by "bad air".
Still better than nothing. A medieval Hazmat suit.
Hey, man that looks like High Fashion to me.
A great Halloween costume for this year- Year One of the Great Plague.

zimboe fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Oct 11, 2014

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

zimboe posted:

Join the crowd! Start a trend.
And you would think -seriously- should I wear Kleenex boxes? What does that guy know that I don't?

You're the only person who would think that. Seeing people with Kleenexes on their feet just makes me think the person's so poor they can't afford shoes or something, honestly. I'd assume schizophrenia before I assumed secret knowledge.

So, how long until other countries start taking Canada as inspiration and tell their people to get out while they still can?

A Tin Of Beans fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Oct 11, 2014

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

zimboe posted:

This guy was thinking in the correct direction. They'd stuff the beak full of herbs and stuff hoping to stop the Yersina Pestis bug- still thinking disease was caused by "bad air".
Still better than nothing.

Good thinking man. Why don't you suit up and post a picture of your ersatz PPE or get the gently caress out.

zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

I'm literally retarded

SedanChair posted:

Good thinking man. Why don't you suit up and post a picture of your ersatz PPE or get the gently caress out.

now lets not get all gibbisy shall we?
I'm serious in these proposals.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

zimboe posted:

The most terrifying proposal of them all.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

zimboe posted:

You crazy

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

plushpuffin posted:

Oligodynamic effect

So that's why the intrepid Canadians came back with their aluminum results.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

zimboe posted:

Then get the gently caress out.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I don't even know when I put that guy on ignore but it was certainly before he came to shitpost in this thread. I saw there were like 50 new posts, checked, and holy poo poo almost every other one is a "this fuckup is on the list" message. That's how I know I'm doing the right thing.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Caro, part deux.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Caro, part deux.

He'll have to fly to Liberia wearing a homemade toilet paper hazmat suit to kill the source of the Bola with his katana to reach full caro.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

MeLKoR posted:

My question was seemingly lost in the sea of :derp: so I ask again to anyone with more knowledge of this poo poo than me, wouldn't those disposable tyvek painter suits/gloves/face mask make a reasonable ghetto protection?

You don't need any protection. In case you weren't already doing it, try not to get other people's blood and vomit on your hands. You're safe now. You're welcome

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

MeLKoR posted:

No, your question contributed to the sea of :derp: so it was ignored. Are you coming into contact with urine, feces, saliva, sweat, vomit, semen or blood of contagious Ebola victims? If not, then you probably don't need to worry. If it comes to that point, will XYZ PPE gear prevent urine, feces, saliva, sweat, vomit, semen, or blood from coming into contact with mucous membranes or open wounds?

I'm guessing 90% of these health workers getting infected are either touching bodily fluids and then touching their face, or having sneezes/vomit/whatever splashing into their face.

If you're riding mass transit and work downtown and Ebola is rampant in your city, wear sunglasses and gloves. If other people start freaking out and you don't mind looking stupid, wear a mask. Have a little tub outside your door with bleach/water in it, dunk your shoes, and take them off outside. Don't touch your face with your hands (you shouldn't do this anyways, especially during flu season), and wash your hands after interacting with objects in public places and before eating. That's literally the extent of what will really help you if there is an outbreak in your city - and half of that is just good general hygiene that should be practiced anyways.

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012
A couple of questions for any non crazies left in this thread.

The clinics being built right now seem to be too little too late just for Ebola. They do not account for other diseases that occur in the region. Is the assumption that they are going to be Ebola only and someone with malaria gets the boot or will the turnover rate on treatment be lower than previously stated?

Also, would it not be more prudent to construct these facilities in places that aren't hosed at this point? Assuming international response is not going to exponentially grow it seems, from a casual observers perspective, that the seponse will have a neglible effect. Meanwhile, the same resources utilized in Nigeria and other more stable and interconnected border countries would provide a better return.

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.
Meanwhile, in unsurprising news, the dead guy in Macedonia is negative.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/health/sns-rt-us-health-ebola-macedonia-20141009,0,220816.story

quote:

Macedonia on Saturday ruled out the Ebola virus as the cause of death of a British man in the Balkan country on Thursday.

"We have just received the results from the lab in Hamburg and they are negative for Ebola, which means that the patient did not have the Ebola virus," said Dr. Jovanka Kostovska of the Health Ministry's commission for infectious diseases.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I'm trying to use Ebola as an excuse to get my HR department to put out very clear "if you don't feel well STAY THE gently caress HOME" messaging this year. I work in an open office, which in general I approve of, but people are conscientious to a fault and every year I've worked at this place I've had 3-4 ridiculous illnesses, the highlight was being >102F for 72 hours last year which hasn't happened since I was 12 or something.

I think I'm going to work from home for November, December, January and February. Stay healthy, spend some quality time with my cats.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Ebola Roulette posted:

I couldn't have possibly been referring to West Africa :rolleyes:

If you were you were an idiot for using it in an argument about deaths in the US, jesus christ.

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

Nintendo Kid posted:

If you were you were an idiot for using it in an argument about deaths in the US, jesus christ.

Yes I am an idiot but what I said is not less intelligent than comparing cancer to a contagious disease.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Articles of surrender are being drafted as we speak. :(

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/11/world/africa/officials-admit-a-defeat-by-ebola-in-sierra-leone.html?referrer=&_r=0

quote:

Officials Admit a ‘Defeat’ by Ebola in Sierra Leone

By ADAM NOSSITEROCT. 10, 2014

FREETOWN, Sierra Leone — Acknowledging a major “defeat” in the fight against Ebola, international health officials battling the epidemic in Sierra Leone approved plans on Friday to help families tend to patients at home, recognizing that they are overwhelmed and have little chance of getting enough treatment beds in place quickly to meet the surging need.

The decision signifies a significant shift in the struggle against the rampaging disease. Officials said they would begin distributing painkillers, rehydrating solution and gloves to hundreds of Ebola-afflicted households in Sierra Leone, contending that the aid arriving here was not fast or extensive enough to keep up with an outbreak that doubles in size every month or so.

“It’s basically admitting defeat,” said Dr. Peter H. Kilmarx, the leader of the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s team in Sierra Leone, adding that it was “now national policy that we should take care of these people at home.”

“For the clinicians it’s admitting failure, but we are responding to the need,” Dr. Kilmarx said. “There are hundreds of people with Ebola that we are not able to bring into a facility.”

The effort to prop up a family’s attempts to care for ailing relatives at home does not mean that officials have abandoned plans to increase the number of beds in hospitals and clinics. But before the beds can be added and doctors can be trained, experts warn, the epidemic will continue to grow.

C.D.C. officials acknowledged that the risks of dying from the disease and passing it to loved ones at home were serious under the new policy — “You push some Tylenol to them, and back away,” Dr. Kilmarx said, describing its obvious limits.

But many patients with Ebola are already dying slowly at home, untreated and with no place to go. There are 304 beds for Ebola patients in Sierra Leone now, but 1,148 are needed, the World Health Organization reported this week. So officials here said there was little choice but to try the new approach as well.

“For the first time, the nation is accepting the possibility of home care, out of necessity,” said Jonathan Mermin, another C.D.C. official and physician here. “It is a policy out of necessity.”

Faced with similar circumstances in neighboring Liberia, where even more people are dying from the disease, the American government said last month that it would ship 400,000 kits with gloves and disinfectant.

“The home kits are no substitute for getting people” to a treatment facility, said Sheldon Yett, the Unicef director for Liberia. “But the idea is to ensure that if somebody has to take care of somebody at home, they’re able to do so.”

More than 4,000 people have died from the outbreak in West Africa, but the United Nations funding appeal remains woefully short, with countries pledging only one-fourth of the $1 billion that the world body says it needs to contain the disease, the United Nations deputy secretary general, Jan Eliasson, told the General Assembly on Friday.

Britain has pledged to get an additional 400 beds into urban areas around Sierra Leone by sometime next month. More rudimentary holding centers for patients awaiting space in hospitals are planned by the government here. And promises of international aid have increased substantially since the outbreak was first identified in neighboring Guinea in March.

But on Friday, Sory Sesay, 2, lay face down on a bench at his home, an arm dangling, his eyes open, listless and apathetic.

What remained of his family was sitting immobilized on the front porch with him at their house in Waterloo, just outside Freetown, Sierra Leone’s capital. All of them were sick: his father, who had already lost his wife and daughter; his 11 year-old brother; and a 16-year-old neighbor, whose mother had already died.

They had no painkillers, no rehydrating solution, and only a sack of rice to eat.

“The government has not yet come in to assist us,” said Sheka Dumbuya, the local community leader. “Mr. Sesay is actually traumatized. We took them the day before yesterday to the health center, but there is no space for them.”

In a sign of the difficulties confronting the growing epidemic here, Stephen Gaojia, the head of the government agency overseeing the Ebola response here, angrily denied that the policy to help ailing families at home had been adopted. C.D.C. officials said he left the meeting before the vote took place.

“We are not so desperate as to go to that level right now,” Mr. Gaojia said.

An official with the World Health Organization in Sierra Leone, Dr. Zabulon Yoti, said that the decision on Friday would help people with no other options. “We support the families,” he said. “They should have some basic things as they are struggling” to take care of their families.

Down the hilly road from Mr. Sesay’s house, at the local health center in Waterloo, people with Ebola-like symptoms drifted in to be registered, but most of them “sneak away and go home” because there are no services for them, said Alhassan Bangura, a health worker.

A holding center is being set up — the government is banking on them all over the country — but in some places these facilities are little more than death traps, offering scant treatment or hope for the people inside.

Nobody knows exactly how many have died from Ebola in this country. The government figure of 900 to 1,000 is thought by international officials to be a serious underestimation. Even some senior government figures have suggested it is untruthful, and the situation in holding centers and cemeteries suggests the government number is far from reality.

A man arrived at the Waterloo health center on Friday, clutching his seriously ill 4-year-old daughter. He had ridden from a town more than 100 miles away in a taxi shared with others — possibly exposing them to the virus — and he was exhibiting Ebola symptoms. The girl, her eyes open, was rigid in his arms. She had high fever, diarrhea and had vomited — classic symptoms.

A nurse shouted angrily at the man from a few feet away, close enough to be infected: “Are you trying to spread the virus?”

He was too ill to respond.

On the porch of the center lay a corpse, a man dead shortly after arrival. Perpendicular to him lay a patient, still alive but rigid, motionless and prostrate. Inside the center, a few yards away and unprotected from them, dozens of patients had crowded in, seeking treatment for other illnesses.

In another section of Waterloo, burial team workers said they had collected 15 corpses in less than a week, and they carried away another on Friday, spraying it with chlorine as they left. The community chief denied that Ebola was present — health care workers at the clinic insisted it was — and attributed the deaths there to “witchcraft.”

Aissata Kargbo sat at the edge of her bed in a darkened house off the dirt road, trembling and unable to speak. Her brother, trying to take care of her, said he had no medicine, that there was no space at any treatment center, and that even an ambulance that had come into the community had no room for her.

“When people are sick, you want to touch them,” said the brother, Mohammed Kargbo. “Now, I cannot even touch her. It is a problem.”

Somini Sengupta contributed reporting from the United Nations and Norimitsu Onishi from Monrovia, Liberia.

• Locked thread