Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

e.pilot posted:

Does anyone know of any apps that will allow you to upload pictures from the camera connection kit to an FTP or WebDAV server?

This might: http://www.panic.com/blog/introducing-transmit-ios/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Bitchin, thanks.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Sounds like you already got it, but yeah it rocks and I can confirm it'll work for uploading stuff. The part I'm not sure about is the camera connection kit cause I don't have one, like I have no clue if you can upload straight from the card reader or if you have to download stuff to the iPad first.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
iOS 8.1 apparently has 3x assets: https://twitter.com/hamzasood/status/520012272274776064

iPad Pro running at 3x?

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

I really want Apple to drop the 16 GB model and make 32 the base model. It's preposterous that it's almost 2015 and not only does Apple persist in offering a paltry 16 GB of flash memory in a $499 tablet, but also charges $100 for 16 more.

App IPAs get more heftier in size with every new hardware/software release that includes new resolutions, and 16 GB just doesn't cut it once you've got more than several largish apps and some music or a couple of movies on your device.

I get that more and more people are using streaming services like Spotify and Netflix instead of keeping media permanently on their device(s), but Apple could at least make the price jump between models less than $100. I know they have no financial incentive to, though, so it won't happen.

I feel like maybe I'm in a serious minority of people who buy the 64 GB model. I use my iPad as my primary device, and currently have only 5 GB free. My biggest space eaters right now are 22 GB of movies, 11 GB of music, 10 GB of music production apps and audio files, and about 3 GB of photos/videos/drawings and their associated apps (VSCO, Snapseed, Filterstorm, iMovie, Procreate and a few others).

I assume most people who buy the 64 GB (or even the 32) model do so to have enough room for games, right?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

hypersleep posted:

I assume most people who buy the 64 GB (or even the 32) model do so to have enough room for games, right?

A few games plus music, podcasts, TV shows, audiobooks.

Streaming services are useless if you travel internationally and want entertainment in-flight.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

hypersleep posted:

I really want Apple to drop the 16 GB model and make 32 the base model.

It's a bit early to tell, but so far a decent amount of people are opting for the 64GB size over 16 with the 6, so Apples probable plan to upsell to the higher storage models is working. Unless sales and demand pushes them to up 16 to 32, I doubt they would.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Nut Bunnies posted:

iOS 8.1 apparently has 3x assets: https://twitter.com/hamzasood/status/520012272274776064

iPad Pro running at 3x?

There will be 3x iPads at some point, and it very well could happen this year, but I really wouldn't read too much into this. People were unearthing 2x iPad assets before the iPad 2 even came out.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Overall, I really like Safari on iOS8, but I hate the way the bookmarks icon opens a persistent panel now. Do people really want the bookmarks panel to stay open all the time?!

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
That's annoying, I have moved to clicking on the location bar to see bookmarks and frequent sites.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Kobayashi posted:

Overall, I really like Safari on iOS8, but I hate the way the bookmarks icon opens a persistent panel now. Do people really want the bookmarks panel to stay open all the time?!
I never noticed since I seem to exclusively surf in portrait mode. Just tried in landscape and sure enough, the bookmarks list persists. What an odd design choice.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Eh, iCab Mobile all the way, baby.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Gonna sell my ipad air that has a cracked screen. Is it better to get the screen replaced and then sell it or sell as-is?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
This is embarrassing, but I can't seem to find the button in Music to access shared songs on my iPad. I can find the button in the Videos app just fine (and sharing videos works fine for me).

EDIT: Whoops, looks like "Shared" disappeared from Videos, must be some sort of issue.

wdarkk fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 9, 2014

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

wdarkk posted:

This is embarrassing, but I can't seem to find the button in Music to access shared songs on my iPad. I can find the button in the Videos app just fine (and sharing videos works fine for me).

EDIT: Whoops, looks like "Shared" disappeared from Videos, must be some sort of issue.

It's under More in the bottom right

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Thwomp posted:

The only thing to really comment on is the loss of the orientation/mute switch. Slightly thinner too (to 7mm) and a TouchID.

UUUGGGGHHHHHH God dammit Apple why can't you just make a device that's exactly how I want it?!?!

Maybe I'll get a cheap iPad Air 1 if the bump in specs to the 2 isn't that great. I really wanted TouchID, but on the iPad it's more of a fun little addition rather than something that's necessary. The orientation lock switch is something that's used several times every day and will be a pain in the rear end to lose.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

OldSenileGuy posted:

UUUGGGGHHHHHH God dammit Apple why can't you just make a device that's exactly how I want it?!?!

Maybe I'll get a cheap iPad Air 1 if the bump in specs to the 2 isn't that great. I really wanted TouchID, but on the iPad it's more of a fun little addition rather than something that's necessary. The orientation lock switch is something that's used several times every day and will be a pain in the rear end to lose.

Swipe up.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Kevyn posted:

It's under More in the bottom right

Yeah it popped up after I reset the iPad.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I'm tempted to upgrade my iPad 4 to whatever the new one ends up being (Air 2?) but I guess I'd only be doing it for Touch ID. If I still had my first-gen Retina with 30-pin, A5X, and no Continuity/AirDrop support then I'd definitely be itching to upgrade, but as it stands now my iPad 4 has held up well enough.

Maybe I'll use my grandpa still having an iPad 1 as an excuse to upgrade and give him a "new" hand-me-down. :haw:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

OldSenileGuy posted:

The specs will be an A8 clocked slightly higher and maybe more RAM if the rumors pan out.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
So here's a pretty dumb bug I just reported to Apple. Under iOS 8.0.2 (tested on 3rd- & 4th-gen iPads) you can still add an e-mail account via the Mail app's first-run menu while Account Modification is disabled via either Apple Configurator restrictions or the device's Settings => Restrictions option.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

hypersleep posted:

I really want Apple to drop the 16 GB model and make 32 the base model. It's preposterous that it's almost 2015 and not only does Apple persist in offering a paltry 16 GB of flash memory in a $499 tablet, but also charges $100 for 16 more.
If the iPhone 6 situation is anything to go by then it may be $100 for 48GB more. Which is nice.

hypersleep posted:

16 GB just doesn't cut it
Agreed. Buy more.

hypersleep posted:

My biggest space eaters right now are 22 GB of movies, 11 GB of music, 10 GB of music production apps and audio files, and about 3 GB of photos/videos/drawings and their associated apps (VSCO, Snapseed, Filterstorm, iMovie, Procreate and a few others).

I have 64G pads and phones and it's mostly so I don't have to give a poo poo about storage. For the phones it's all pics and vids, for the pads it's pics, vids, and games.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

The specs will be an A8 clocked slightly higher and maybe more RAM if the rumors pan out.

Well the RAM is a pretty big thing. I guess if it's updated I'll take the plunge, otherwise I might look for a first gen Air.

fadderman
Feb 3, 2008
dyslectic lurker
I have a problem with my Ipad, i turned on the 2 step authenication a long time a go. Recently I had to send the Ipad in for repairs, and one of the things they did with it was to factory reset it. So I now longer have a trusted device, since i haven't eaten deep into the apple ecosystem. The recovery key is long gone i think i put it a safe place but i can't remember where or if i have cleaned it out. Is there any solution to getting my account back and getting my ipad up and running to full?

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

What's the best 3rd party web browser? I'm using a retina mini if it matters. I like safari and understand that there are (or were?) certain enhancements that were locked out from 3rd party browsers but it crashes too much after upgrading to 8.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Those enhancements were opened up system-wide in ios 8 anyway so 3rd party browsers should be using them too. Chrome is good especially if you use it on the desktop to because it syncs tabs, history, passwords, and bookmarks

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

What's the best 3rd party web browser? I'm using a retina mini if it matters. I like safari and understand that there are (or were?) certain enhancements that were locked out from 3rd party browsers but it crashes too much after upgrading to 8.

iCab. It has a ridiculously extensive set of features and it's very customizable.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

fadderman posted:

I have a problem with my Ipad, i turned on the 2 step authenication a long time a go. Recently I had to send the Ipad in for repairs, and one of the things they did with it was to factory reset it. So I now longer have a trusted device, since i haven't eaten deep into the apple ecosystem. The recovery key is long gone i think i put it a safe place but i can't remember where or if i have cleaned it out. Is there any solution to getting my account back and getting my ipad up and running to full?

Can't they send a code via text message?

fadderman
Feb 3, 2008
dyslectic lurker

Endless Mike posted:

Can't they send a code via text message?

nope that option didn't exist to setup on my account and i called apple support to ask for help and they have no procedure for my case

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

fadderman posted:

Assuming this is for the activation lock after a restore? If you have a proof of purchase with your name and the serial of the iPad on it you can get that bypassed at an Apple Store. If you bought it at an Apple Store they can look up that information.

fadderman
Feb 3, 2008
dyslectic lurker

e.pilot posted:

Assuming this is for the activation lock after a restore? If you have a proof of purchase with your name and the serial of the iPad on it you can get that bypassed at an Apple Store. If you bought it at an Apple Store they can look up that information.

bought it at local electrostore chain in norway, and it is the 2 step authentication on my apple id thats hosed up and have cought me in a catch-22

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

fadderman posted:

bought it at local electrostore chain in norway, and it is the 2 step authentication on my apple id thats hosed up and have cought me in a catch-22

Oh geez I just went through this but can't remember the exact steps I went through to bypass it. I remember it had to do with the recovery e-mail I set up back in like 2001, which was not the e-mail in the account name, and a text messaged activation code from Apple, but I think phone support initiated some aspect of the process that I couldn't get through just browsing through menus and apple support docs on my own. I'll edit this post if I remember more, but maybe this will jog someone else's memory before me.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

e.pilot posted:

Last time I checked apple stores couldn't do that.

fadderman
Feb 3, 2008
dyslectic lurker

Kaizoku posted:

Oh geez I just went through this but can't remember the exact steps I went through to bypass it. I remember it had to do with the recovery e-mail I set up back in like 2001, which was not the e-mail in the account name, and a text messaged activation code from Apple, but I think phone support initiated some aspect of the process that I couldn't get through just browsing through menus and apple support docs on my own. I'll edit this post if I remember more, but maybe this will jog someone else's memory before me.

this could be helpful since when i called apple techsupport and they hadn't got a clue how to fix it. Will call them again on monday to see if I could escalete it up to someone who can do what you did

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Last time I checked apple stores couldn't do that.

I just did it literally this morning.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Google hasn't been much help on this, so I will inquire here:

Last night I was given my sister's iPad 2 - she has vision issues so the large screen is outside of her field of vision. I'm mostly going to be using it for Hearthstone and Netflix, but the quality on Netflix is extremely disappointing. It looks like it's at 360p at best, and often dips even to 240. It's definitely not my connection, as all other wireless devices view Netflix in HD 100% of the time. It's also definitely not the iPad exclusively, as the youtube app has no issues playing back HD movie trailers with zero buffering.

Is this an issue any of you have encountered and am I just screwed for 50% of the reason I wanted this thing?

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Perhaps it has been covered here, but has anyone been having trouble with wireless connectivity? I can get connection on my WLAN, but traffic just will not flow in any manner one would consider fast. I am connected to a Meraki MR18 at home, and all other devices are just fine on it. Resetting Network Settings seems to be the only way to get past this.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's a known issue with iOS8, yeah.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

SHOTGUN REGULAR posted:

Netflix problems

Have you tried to reset it and start over fresh (without a restore) already? My iPad 2 had a weird bug where Netflix content would play for about a minute, then the video would freeze but the audio was ok. In the end, I had to start fresh to fix it.

Also, have you tried it on another provider - even though other devices are fine & other apps can show HD?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
So with the iPad Air 2 likely to be shown Thursday, can we expect some trade in deals? I wanna swap my 16gb Air for an Air 2 with more space.