Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Serious Frolicking posted:

The vast majority of any given given season is complete trash. So this season has a lesbian rape show instead of a harem incest show, overt pedophilia show, or gundam age. Oh no, anime has declined!

Not only did I dig up quotes earlier from people talking about how anime was in a decline in the early 90s, but searching around past discussion online shows that people say that the present is always the worst for things. Nothing ever changes!

It's really funny in hindsight to go back and look at all the people that talked about how, to name a random example, Simpsons season 3 was jumping the shark and how the show is now terrible, for instance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

The vast majority of any given given season is complete trash. So this season has a lesbian rape show instead of a harem incest show, overt pedophilia show, or gundam age. Oh no, anime has declined!

Incest seems to be dead as a trend, thankfully.

I'm actually reconsidering what I said about this year being weaker than usual; it might just be that the group of shows that began in 2012 and ended in 2013 were unusually good.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Grouchio posted:

I sometimes wonder if the general quality of anime has been in constant decline these days...

I'm scared to think that the industry may not outlast the current shittiness of Hollywood. :stonk:

We have two Gundam shows that are both really loving good (one of which is a Tomino one, no less), at least four really good non-mecha action shows (Parasyte, Unlimited Blade Works, Garo, Rage of Bahamut), second seasons of a few shows that ranged from good to excellent (Yowamushi Pedal, Psycho-Pass, Chaika, Mushishi, Log Horizon, WIXOSS), whatever you'd classify Amagi and Grisaia as, and a couple good comedy shows. We even have a fun trainwreck show in the form of Twintails, and JoJo is coming back while all of these shows are still airing.

Cross Ange or no, this is still pretty much the best goddamn season in possibly a decade or more. Even if a solid half of these shows spectacularly poo poo the bed, this is still a really good season. How do you even figure it's been in constant decline?

Justin_Brett posted:

I mean poo poo, people were comparing this to Symphogear before it came out, but that's pretty insulting to Symphogear now.

Symphogear was alright, though? Like, it wasn't anything groundbreaking but it had nice production values and it wasn't aggressively dumb or creepy if I remember correctly.

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 11, 2014

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
This is reminding me I never finished Symphogear season 2. Thanks thread.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Srice posted:

Not only did I dig up quotes earlier from people talking about how anime was in a decline in the early 90s, but searching around past discussion online shows that people say that the present is always the worst for things. Nothing ever changes!

I somewhat agree with this, but the late 00's really were an awful time for TV anime and the past few years have been a much-needed improvement over that period.

Not sure about the early 90's, though, but that was right before the TV anime boom that kicked off around 95, so there may have been a bit of a dead zone there for a while.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

First season Symphogear was an okay show, second season was bat poo poo insane and made no sense, which only made it better.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Syphogear was aggressively dumb, just not that creepy. Twintails is basically what you get when you cross symphogear, toku and copious amounts of weed.

e-Not saying being aggressively dumb is a bad thing, I enjoyed Syphogear. And I'm enjoying twintails right now for the same reason.

e2- Actually speaking of Twintails the soundtrack is this combination of airy wind/strings/chorus and bitching power metal drums/bass/guitar. It should clash violently but it works, sort of like the actual show.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Oct 11, 2014

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Ronja Rövardotter is better than I feared, in spite of the super colourful palette.

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

But is it good?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Great Rumbler posted:

I somewhat agree with this, but the late 00's really were an awful time for TV anime and the past few years have been a much-needed improvement over that period.

Not sure about the early 90's, though, but that was right before the TV anime boom that kicked off around 95, so there may have been a bit of a dead zone there for a while.

This. The main reason you don't hear me calling any recent season the worst is because I still vividly remember some amazingly lovely seasons during the late 00's back when I was first getting into this following anime live thing. I'd actually call the last few years really drat good overall.

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

Disastrous Rape Anime :frogout: Now

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Hocus Pocus posted:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Stop talking about Cross Ange you dumb fucks.

Hocus Pocus posted:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

Yea we should distinguish between categories of garbage to avoid insulting anyone.

Be fair, there is a difference between 'kind of weird and sleazy' garbage and 'will get you on all the watchlists, Mossad will drop a doorknocker bomb with a one-second-timer on your roof, and nobody will mourn your passing' garbage.

I mean, we watch anime, we've got enough government agencies monitoring us. Why invite more?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Karen Senki ep3 is still a show that I will continue watching. There's just not much that can be written, it has to be experienced. I don't even know how to describe the overall presentation of story and the world and the characters. Pretend it's an anime The Matrix but without the religious poo poo, with humans and robots living together sort of in peace and we follow interesting characters around and the weird science that goes on, see their well-done interactions, ever-growing mysteries. Ten minutes an episode is just right, it's got enough for me. Give it a shot.

Ushinawarawara ep2, if you told me it wasn't based on a dull predictable VN nobody knows or cares of I would be surprised. Pass.

Ai Tenchi gets love from Japanese friends, even when I have their thoughts on it professionally translated to English I don't get what's so good about it. The only thing it does well is use the Tenchi Muyo name and characters.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Oct 11, 2014

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ushinawareta Mirai is kind of boring yet I still want to find out what's going on. :(

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

If only we could have had more Nozaki.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

The King of the Magic Bullet and Vanadis: I tried to watch this just to be fair even though I dislike the character designs. Um, I lasted 10 min before I gave up because MC seems kinda generic and everyone is just ... too dumb for words.

Overall, this sums up my thoughts on the first episodes just from skimming the summary in the OP.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Vanadis episode 2 was okay until about halfway through, what is it with rape this season?

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

nuru posted:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

nuru posted:

Love Lab S2 would also be acceptable.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

With the second season of Chaika airing I think I figured out why so many frail anime girls use ptr-d anti-tank rifles specifically. It's because Jigen Daisuke uses one in Castle of Cagliostro.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Justin_Brett posted:

I mean poo poo, people were comparing this to Symphogear before it came out, but that's pretty insulting to Symphogear now.

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Symphogear was alright, though? Like, it wasn't anything groundbreaking but it had nice production values and it wasn't aggressively dumb or creepy if I remember correctly.

Blhue posted:

This is reminding me I never finished Symphogear season 2. Thanks thread.

Sakurazuka posted:

First season Symphogear was an okay show, second season was bat poo poo insane and made no sense, which only made it better.

like I said before, if you want your dose of Symphogear, watch Ore Twintail.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Pyronic posted:

like I said before, if you want your dose of Symphogear, watch Ore Twintail.

I cant wait for the next episode where he goes through all the motions of a typical "guy gets turned into a girl" anime.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

With the second season of Chaika airing I think I figured out why so many frail anime girls use ptr-d anti-tank rifles specifically. It's because Jigen Daisuke uses one in Castle of Cagliostro.

Chaika actually has a good reason for being a stereotypical frail anime girl though. I can't say why because it's bigtime S1 spoilers. As for the PTR-D, well the show likes its magic guns. The latest wizard has a magical shotgun that she uses to cast magic. It's actually really badass.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

Chaika actually has a good reason for being a stereotypical frail anime girl though. I can't say why because it's bigtime S1 spoilers. As for the PTR-D, well the show likes its magic guns. The latest wizard has a magical shotgun that she uses to cast magic. It's actually really badass.

For being frail sure, but carrying an anti-tank rifle?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

pandaK posted:

I cant wait for the next episode where he goes through all the motions of a typical "guy gets turned into a girl" anime.

From the first episode, Souji seems to be handling it in a very Ranma-like way. Which I definitely prefer to the alternative.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

nuru posted:

It's what she uses to cast magic. Guns in this setting are basically channeling devices that you load MP bullets into, chant a spell and then fire it at whatever you need burned, crushed, bisected, etc...
And her gun is only like the third most ridiculous magic gun in the setting thus far. :allears:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The best is when we get to see a bit of the late Emperor Gaz, who apparently used a rocket launcher for his. :allears:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

nuru posted:

Its the same reason why she's "frail" actually :v:.

Rifles happen to be the magic wands of this universe. They shoot bullets of fossilized memories that the wizards channel into magic. Each mage his own rifle, right now we have the current "antagonist" using a levered Winchester.

pandaK posted:

To be fair the dude doesn't seem to be that interested on women themselves, just their hair.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Oct 12, 2014

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Darth Walrus posted:

Be fair, there is a difference between 'kind of weird and sleazy' garbage and 'will get you on all the watchlists, Mossad will drop a doorknocker bomb with a one-second-timer on your roof, and nobody will mourn your passing' garbage.

I mean, we watch anime, we've got enough government agencies monitoring us. Why invite more?

Certainly, I don't mean to be unfair. I acknowledge that there was an etymological need for terms like "moe" to be created.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Potsticker posted:

From the first episode, Souji seems to be handling it in a very Ranma-like way. Which I definitely prefer to the alternative.

Did you not see the next episode preview

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Its the same reason why she's "frail" actually :v:.

Rifles happen to be the magic wands of this universe. They shoot bullets of fossilized memories that the wizards channel into magic. Each mage his own rifle, right now we have the current "antagonist" using a levered Winchester.

Hm, thinking back I guess "huge rifle" could play into their reasoning for why she was so frail.

I'm still waiting for the episode where she coughs a great deal then suddenly starts speaking normally from then on.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

pandaK posted:

Did you not see the next episode preview

It looked like they showed off the toku villains and-- had two still shots of Souji in clothes other than his Tail Gear? Is that what you're talking about because I don't know if you're aware, but he doesn't stay a girl when he transforms back.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I don't know what people are talking about with weak seasons or anime in decline because these past couple of seasons have generally been pretty good. Space Dandy alone made last season great.

As far as this season is concerned there's a lot of good as well. I'm probably going to make an Amagi Brilliant Park thread tomorrow if no one beats me to it.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Grouchio posted:

I sometimes wonder if the general quality of anime has been in constant decline these days...

I'm scared to think that the industry may not outlast the current shittiness of Hollywood. :stonk:

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

:stonk: What the hell is that?

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
She drank too much tomato juice beforehand, despite knowing full well she gets sick on flights.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Best show of the season Cross Ange

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Tarezax posted:

:stonk: What the hell is that?

The latest SkullGirls character.

• Locked thread