Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
they ask for the history of Islam and then immediately it puts them to sleep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
An-Cap Update: Meltdown in progress. Accusing the one poster whose actually bothering to politely engage him of not thinking and challenging him to call-in to Stefan Molyneux's radio show.

Pretty convinced he's a troll.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

paragon1 posted:

An-Cap Update: Meltdown in progress. Accusing the one poster whose actually bothering to politely engage him of not thinking and challenging him to call-in to Stefan Molyneux's radio show.

As I myself pointed out about my ad-homs on him, it's not trolling if they really believe it. It just makes them potentially a huge jerk.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

CoolCab posted:

they ask for the history of Islam and then immediately it puts them to sleep

I'd love a history of early islamic political development that includes regional arab and other groups' political development to provide background context. I'm a bit tired of going off historeographies based off Byzantine and Roman Catholic sources.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

RuanGacho posted:

As I myself pointed out about my ad-homs on him, it's not trolling if they really believe it. It just makes them potentially a huge jerk.

Well yeah sure, but he's basically doing the forums equivalent of throwing off his shirt while shouting "COME AT ME BRO" to the person whose being the nicest to him, so I have to wonder.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
It's all part of his elaborate plot to trap you by posting Libertarian thoughts in the Libertarian thread. :ohdear:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
loving thousand pages of that to go through. Is it worth it, fellow D&D aficionados/as?

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Absurd Alhazred posted:

loving thousand pages of that to go through. Is it worth it, fellow D&D aficionados/as?

The Libertarian thread? God no, it's just where I go to unleash my rage at an unjust world. It's kind of nice that SA is accepting of a filthy statist like me :unsmith:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Has there ever been a single forum thread worth reading in its entirety?

In all the pictures I found he's clean shaven. What the hell was he thinking shaving that off?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Shear Modulus posted:

In this post-Yingluck world who is the hottest current head of state/head of government?

My vote is for Pena Nieto for a little Latin flavor.

While Felipe's a fair argument, I may have to go with President(e?) Kirchner of Argentina.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

By the way, Alhazred, you never replied about bandes dessinées stores in Paris. Ended up going to a Boulinier and getting Aldebaran1, Avant l'Incal 1, and Alef Thau 2.
I have literally no idea about what you're talking about. I haven't even been to Paris.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
So I've been thinking about the whole "starting sentences with so" thing and I've remembered that a long time ago one friend of mine noticed I do it and mentioned it. He wasn't mocking me (at least not so harshly) but it was the first time I ever realized that some people thought about it.

I think I definitely use it for one specific purpose, that is to verbally reset the flow of conversation and indicate that I am now changing the subject to something entirely unrelated to what came before.

"So I was driving to work today..."
"So I'm at the grocery store and I'm looking for..."

It's a habit, and maybe it's a bad one; but I don't buy into the hate. It's basically like a non-verbal placeholder like "um," or "uh;" but at least when I use it it's actually indicative of the fact that I'm moving onto something else. Hopefully that something else is something you'll find interesting enough to want to hear it, and/or discuss it, and not get hung up on the fact that I said, "So...."

I think it's weirder to get haughty about it than to actually do it.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Alhazred posted:

I have literally no idea about what you're talking about. I haven't even been to Paris.

It was pages and ages ago, and apparently lost inside of an argument about... I want to say political hackery?

I thought for some reason that you would be the person to ask because of that thread from way back, but perhaps I assumed wrongly and my memory is bad and I am getting old. :smith:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
It used to be bannable on SA to start thread titles with "So..."

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Joementum posted:

It used to be bannable on SA to start thread titles with "So..."

From the last page:

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Hell, back in the very early 2000s starting thread titles with "So I..." became so commonplace and annoying (if for no other reason then so many of there variations on "So I poo poo myself in public"), that Lowtax made it a bannable offense.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

paragon1 posted:

Angry ancap MRAs are hard to distinguish from trolls, is the thing.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It's like 60 pages actually. And no, it really isn't.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Pope Guilty posted:

Angry ancap MRAs are hard to distinguish from trolls, is the thing.

Well he's declared he's done with us for being so mean :qq: So that's done with I guess. At least Lowtax got paid.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Used to be a meme on NeoGAF until recently as well. Maybe a stupid fad that passed.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Shear Modulus posted:

Has there ever been a single forum thread worth reading in its entirety?

groverhaus

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

GreyjoyBastard posted:

While Felipe's a fair argument, I may have to go with President(e?) Kirchner of Argentina.

she used to be but her plastic surgery is starting to show imo

very fashionable, though

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

paragon1 posted:

It's more like 1000 posts since I had last looked into it; I cannot count nor can I express myself clearly. :smith:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

paragon1 posted:

It's kinda like DnD's own mock thread, except instead of terrible webcomics it's terrible political ideas.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The Greek and Roman history thread owns.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Who What Now posted:

terrible webcomics

tw: redundancy

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I am friends with lots of academics and they start using so when they get into lecture/explaining mode.

I wonder it they say so when they want to gently caress.

So I want to gently caress.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

john c. calhoun was kind of hot before he got all old and assholish

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

euphronius posted:

I am friends with lots of academics and they start using so when they get into lecture/explaining mode.

I wonder it they say so when they want to gently caress.

So I want to gently caress.

"So, shall we commence intercourse?"

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
I think a lot of people might react more positive to filler filled speech than direct sentences. Especially when you take position opposed to theirs.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Randler posted:

I think a lot of people might react more positive to filler filled speech than direct sentences. Especially when you take position opposed to theirs.

There is a lot of merit to your contention, my dear German colleague, but I am afraid that I cannot in good conscience agree with it, as it runs counter to my own experience. I do appreciate your point of view, of course, and do not think it reflects poorly on any of your other judgments, which stand or fall on their own merits.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Absurd Alhazred, a man who believes Obama can force Congress to do what he wants.

:allears: I don't think that's the world we live in.

E:

Hell, I doubt Boehner could get Congress to agree on the timing of a, 'Free Jello Shots with AIPAC' event if he tried.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

My Imaginary GF posted:

To be fair, your posts are those of a person suffering severe delusions, so I'm not quite sure you're one to talk, champ.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

My Imaginary GF posted:

Absurd Alhazred, a man who believes Obama can force Congress to do what he wants.

E:

Hell, I doubt Boehner could get Congress to agree on the timing of a, 'Free Jello Shots with AIPAC' event if he tried.

He can force the question. He can force them to refuse him this power. He can say, "you know, as it stands, I do not have the proper authorization to pursue ISIS. I think this is something that needs to be done for the security of the US/the good of our allies/the promotion of the Homosexual Agenda. I ask Congress to give me this power."

And then they either do or do not do this. And when they go about their pathetic, cowardly way of not making a decision, he can say:

"I respect Congress's decision, and will not pursue ISIS."

Bam! Every Congressperson and Senator that is up for election in November has to answer some hard questions.

Or maybe they authorize him, and then we see what happens.

That's how the system works when it's lead by someone who respects it. And if he does back-room-dealing to get that through, or doesn't, it doesn't matter. He upholds our system of government instead of being complicit in this cowardly, muddled circumvention thereof.

ETA: Wait, why is this in this thread? :confused:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Badger of Basra posted:

john c. calhoun was kind of hot before he got all old and assholish

Jaw's too square. Not my type.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Why are you giving the fake Washington/Illinois/Delusionville Insider any credence, again?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ThirdPartyView posted:

Why are you giving the fake Washington/Illinois/Delusionville Insider any credence, again?

Sometimes arguments are more important than the people expressing them.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Absurd Alhazred posted:

"I respect Congress's decision, and will not pursue ISIS."

Bam! Every Congressperson and Senator that is up for election in November has to answer some hard questions.

And people call me delusional.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

My Imaginary GF posted:

That's because you are?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

My Imaginary GF posted:

I think mostly they call you ethically vacuous, and for good reason.

Sometimes it is better to fail the right way than to succeed the wrong way. Obama can't even succeed very well the wrong way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

uh, what's this about? where did this come from?

• Locked thread