Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Joshlemagne posted:

I'm not saying that the port is good, but in Squeenix's defense they are only charging 15 bux for it. They're not trying to get full price for it like Dark Souls. I can understand people who bought it on console and just wanted to see it in 4k or whatever would be disappointed. But since I never got a console last gen, I'm just happy to get a chance to play it even if it isn't a great port.

They should be able to put in about same amount of effort as a random (if very talented) guy on a gaming forum and get custom resolutions and AA/AF poo poo in there. It's really not something out of realm of possibility. Same with customizable controls and the stupid escape button. We are not talking couple guys producing doujinshi for comiket. Same poo poo with separating out Japanese voice into DLC for those who don't want that option so they don't have to download extra 20GB and reverse option for PS3 level uncompressed cut-scenes as a DLC. None of that should have taken a lot of work. poo poo, bury graphics and control options in an .ini file or console if too lazy to write an interface.

I also think they goofed on price. It should have come out at $19.99 and they would have been unlikely to lose many sales for that, at the same time giving more room for discount during steam sales at Thanksgiving/Christmas. Plus it may have paid for couple interns to add the graphics options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

oblomov posted:

They should be able to put in about same amount of effort as a random (if very talented) guy on a gaming forum and get custom resolutions and AA/AF poo poo in there. It's really not something out of realm of possibility. Same with customizable controls and the stupid escape button. We are not talking couple guys producing doujinshi for comiket. Same poo poo with separating out Japanese voice into DLC for those who don't want that option so they don't have to download extra 20GB and reverse option for PS3 level uncompressed cut-scenes as a DLC. None of that should have taken a lot of work. poo poo, bury graphics and control options in an .ini file or console if too lazy to write an interface.

I also think they goofed on price. It should have come out at $19.99 and they would have been unlikely to lose many sales for that, at the same time giving more room for discount during steam sales at Thanksgiving/Christmas. Plus it may have paid for couple interns to add the graphics options.

Again that's not fair. The random guy on the gaming forum isn't responsible if the game starts randomly crashing or glitching out in certain scenes and so forth. He can say "it's a mod I did in my spare time what do you want?". Whereas Square has to test for every option they add and fix the bugs because if people are screaming it's a poo poo port for lack of resolution options they're certainly going to be screaming if the game crashes every five minutes or randomly glitches or whatever.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Joshlemagne posted:

Again that's not fair. The random guy on the gaming forum isn't responsible if the game starts randomly crashing or glitching out in certain scenes and so forth. He can say "it's a mod I did in my spare time what do you want?". Whereas Square has to test for every option they add and fix the bugs because if people are screaming it's a poo poo port for lack of resolution options they're certainly going to be screaming if the game crashes every five minutes or randomly glitches or whatever.

The game has very uneven performance now with many people experiencing stuttering, crashes, etc... While yes, modder does not have to do support, at the same time supporting common PC resolution should not be a huge issue. Seriously, there is no excuse for this poo poo in 2014. It's the same as it was with Dark Souls 1. It's just terrible outlook on PC as a platform. Nobody is asking Square to enhance the port, fix the dialogue, etc... Just offer resolution and graphics options that they offered on Last Remnant or FFVII.

Edit: All of that said, considering the price, it's probably worth a pick up since resolution and graphics issues will get fixed by modders. Now, whether you can withstand the dialogue is a whole diff story.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Joshlemagne posted:

I'm not saying that the port is good, but in Squeenix's defense they are only charging 15 bux for it. They're not trying to get full price for it like Dark Souls. I can understand people who bought it on console and just wanted to see it in 4k or whatever would be disappointed. But since I never got a console last gen, I'm just happy to get a chance to play it even if it isn't a great port.

If one-man indie companies can put out a solid game for $5 or $10, a major company like Squeenix has no excuse to be loving up a major retail release port at $15.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

oblomov posted:

Just offer resolution and graphics options that they offered on Last Remnant

poo poo, you're right, I forgot Last Remnant PC was a thing. Did they do that one in-house too? Because if so I think you just tipped me over the edge from "Well, at least it wasn't Dark Souls bad for a first try" into "God damnit, you guys".

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If one-man indie companies can put out a solid game for $5 or $10, a major company like Squeenix has no excuse to be loving up a major retail release port at $15.

You and I must have very different definitions of "loving up".

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

poo poo, you're right, I forgot Last Remnant PC was a thing. Did they do that one in-house too? Because if so I think you just tipped me over the edge from "Well, at least it wasn't Dark Souls bad for a first try" into "God damnit, you guys".

Actually Last Remnant PC is a pretty darn (if still unnecessarily complex) good game. It's not like it's not buggy, but most of that has been fixed by modders or at least there are workarounds. FF XIII will be fixed by modders as well. It's worth the low asking price, but it's still a dumb thing for a large company such as SE to not do the bare minimum for the port.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Joshlemagne posted:

You and I must have very different definitions of "loving up".

2014 with gaming PCs having 4Ghz CPUs and 4GB VRAM video cards:

- Locked low resolution
- lovely profile for the game so video cards spin down causing intermittent frame rates
- Crashes on start
- Lots of framerate issues with input detection
- Escape button
- No customization for controls
- No graphical options whatsoever
- 60GB download with no option to select voices
- Compressed cutscenes

It's a pretty lovely port, let's be clear here. Now, since the game is only $15 (and lower with coupons), it's not the end of the world as graphical options will get fixed most likely. Plus it does have an option for Japanese voices so we don't have to actually have to understand Snow, Hope or Vanille while still having voiced conversation of some sort in the background. It's probably still worth the purchase, but it's not an excuse for SE's release.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

oblomov posted:

2014 with gaming PCs having 4Ghz CPUs and 4GB VRAM video cards:

- Locked low resolution
- lovely profile for the game so video cards spin down causing intermittent frame rates
- Crashes on start
- Lots of framerate issues with input detection
- Escape button
- No customization for controls
- No graphical options whatsoever
- 60GB download with no option to select voices
- Compressed cutscenes

It's a pretty lovely port, let's be clear here. Now, since the game is only $15 (and lower with coupons), it's not the end of the world as graphical options will get fixed most likely. Plus it does have an option for Japanese voices so we don't have to actually have to understand Snow, Hope or Vanille while still having voiced conversation of some sort in the background. It's probably still worth the purchase, but it's not an excuse for SE's release.

See when I think of a game company loving up I think of things like deleting your hard drive on uninstall or having a bug that makes the game literally unbeatable. Not having a full suite of graphical options isn't ideal but it's pretty hyperbolic to say that they're "loving up a major retail release port" like the guy I quoted.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Joshlemagne posted:

See when I think of a game company loving up I think of things like deleting your hard drive on uninstall or having a bug that makes the game literally unbeatable. Not having a full suite of graphical options isn't ideal but it's pretty hyperbolic to say that they're "loving up a major retail release port" like the guy I quoted.

Not saying you're wrong, but trying to fight someone on inappropriate hyperbole on the internet is a bit of a lost cause.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Anyone play Mind Zero for the Vita? It looks like a really blatant knockoff of Persona, but I'm kind of itching to play a new Persona game, so maybe that's not too bad?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Baby Babbeh posted:

Anyone play Mind Zero for the Vita? It looks like a really blatant knockoff of Persona, but I'm kind of itching to play a new Persona game, so maybe that's not too bad?

It's an okay dungeon crawler but the plot is pretty awful and it's kinda cliffhanger-but-never-getting-a-sequel.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Why did the Ar Nosurge poster not loving mention that there's multiple characters who look 12 who wear grossly sexualized outfits? Goddamn it Japan.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Million Ghosts posted:

Why did the Ar Nosurge poster not loving mention that there's multiple characters who look 12 who wear grossly sexualized outfits? Goddamn it Japan.

i take you're unfamiliar with the ar tonelico series

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Mostly, I know Qoga is super creepy and I played a bit of the first one. Got Nosurge from a "friend" who said it was pretty good, I'm worried about him now.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Your friend has much to learn about playing shameful jrpgs in the secrecy of your mom's basement

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I've heard that visual fanservice aside, Ar Nosurge is far less creepy than Qoga and has much better gameplay than Qoga too but I was so disturbed by Qoga that I really don't want to take the plunge.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Well you got it for free so just hand it back to him.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Endorph posted:

Well you got it for free so just hand it back to him.

You're still allowed to criticize something that you got for free. Like, I got all your posts for free and they suck.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wendell posted:

You're still allowed to criticize something that you got for free. Like, I got all your posts for free and they suck.
How did you get 'you aren't allowed to criticize it' from that?

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated
I just realized that PS3 for me was the only platform where I outright dropped several major RPGs after just a few hours of play. FFXIII, Ar Tonelico 3, Neptunia 2, Agharest 2, and SO4... All were bought with "how bad could it be mindset". I haven't played first Neptunia or Agharest but heard that sequels were better and like the games in the other 3 series.

I guess it's good that I came in late to PS3 ear and got all these fairly cheaply. Funny enough I picked up XIII PC port to tool around with modded graphics and Japanese voices.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Million Ghosts posted:

Mostly, I know Qoga is super creepy and I played a bit of the first one. Got Nosurge from a "friend" who said it was pretty good, I'm worried about him now.

Your friend sounds cool. Been thinking about picking up Nosurge myself, here's hoping there's a lot of sexy babes in it.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
nosurge would be a buy at 20 bucks, but i really like jrpgs even the terrible creepy ones

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
I could deal with the creep if the gameplay was good buuut it's got a bunch of different systems that you never need to learn or care about because so far it's braindead easy even on Veteran.

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Your friend sounds cool. Been thinking about picking up Nosurge myself, here's hoping there's a lot of sexy babes in it.

Hope you don't like boobs!

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
RPG Thread I'm bored to tears and have three different PS3 RPGs I've been meaning to play but haven't gotten around to doing so. Should I play Tales of Xillia, Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories HD, or Yakuza 3

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

alcharagia posted:

RPG Thread I'm bored to tears and have three different PS3 RPGs I've been meaning to play but haven't gotten around to doing so. Should I play Tales of Xillia, Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories HD, or Yakuza 3

I'd say Xillia although Yazuka 3's also good. Arguably better but it's less RPG-ish.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

alcharagia posted:

Ar Nosurge.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

these are all games I already own. I'll take a rain check on Ar Nosurge and let you know how it is when I actually get around to buying it.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

What's the gameplay like in Ar Nosurge? I liked the gameplay in Ar Tonelico 1 and 2 well enough, even if it was really easy and simplistic but Qoga's gameplay combined with the excess of creepy stuff was too much for me to stomach.

If the gameplay is less poo poo than Qoga and if what others say about Ar Nosurge being less creepy are true, I might give it a shot.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Don't.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Mr. Fortitude posted:

What's the gameplay like in Ar Nosurge? I liked the gameplay in Ar Tonelico 1 and 2 well enough, even if it was really easy and simplistic but Qoga's gameplay combined with the excess of creepy stuff was too much for me to stomach.

If the gameplay is less poo poo than Qoga and if what others say about Ar Nosurge being less creepy are true, I might give it a shot.

Take Ar tonelico 2's gameplay, remove one of the vanguards, and change the time limit with unlimited attacks to simply having a set number of attacks each attack phase. Then add in that you can only defend from a limited number of attacks and you have Ar nosurge's combat. Turned out surprisingly fun to play, even if it is pretty easy (but then again, so is the rest of the series)

e: Oh, and forgot to mention you can literally wipe out every enemy in an entire dungeon in one battle if you can beat dudes up fast enough or build up enough Song Magic burst, as they come at you in waves until you run out of turns or use song magic.

Icedude fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Oct 12, 2014

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

oblomov posted:

I just realized that PS3 for me was the only platform where I outright dropped several major RPGs after just a few hours of play. FFXIII, Ar Tonelico 3, Neptunia 2, Agharest 2, and SO4... All were bought with "how bad could it be mindset". I haven't played first Neptunia or Agharest but heard that sequels were better and like the games in the other 3 series.

I wouldn't really call any of those except FF13 "major" RPGs. Especially AT3 and Agarest.

I guess they're major in the sense that console JRPGs this gen have been pretty sparse, though.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Icedude posted:

Take Ar tonelico 2's gameplay, remove one of the vanguards, and change the time limit with unlimited attacks to simply having a set number of attacks each attack phase. Then add in that you can only defend from a limited number of attacks and you have Ar nosurge's combat. Turned out surprisingly fun to play, even if it is pretty easy (but then again, so is the rest of the series)

e: Oh, and forgot to mention you can literally wipe out every enemy in an entire dungeon in one battle if you can beat dudes up fast enough or build up enough Song Magic burst as they come at you in waves until you run out of turns or use song magic.

Sounds interesting enough, it's funny that every game they try to balance the gameplay and end up not fixing anything except for Qoga where by being balanced, the gameplay was a boring slog.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
So in other words, you guys are telling me

ImpAtom posted:

I'd say Xillia although Yazuka 3's also good. Arguably better but it's less RPG-ish.

Listen to ImpAtom. Gotcha. Thank you ImpAtom. I will Xillia.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

alcharagia posted:

I'm about 40 hours into Xillia and I think it's pretty swell. There are definitely some spots where I can tell they cut some corners re: world building (it was apparently a rush job) but overall it's been a lot of fun.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Sounds interesting enough, it's funny that every game they try to balance the gameplay and end up not fixing anything except for Qoga where by being balanced, the gameplay was a boring slog.

Yeah, since physicals were so hilariously broken in AT1 they've tried to dial it back and make magic stronger in every game since. And then the same for items after they were amazing in AT2.

God bless you Gust, you never fail to leave in some way for players to break the poo poo out of every game you make. ('Cept AT3, but gently caress AT3)

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Yakuza, but start at 2 (if you have PS2, compatible PS3, or a decent PC). There is more manliness in a single Yakuza game then in every other PS3 RPG put together (other then another Yakuza game of course or that PS3 school of samurai game).

Edit: I liked Xillia, but you don't get to punch a tiger in the face with your fists there, do you... without all that fancy magic either.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I actually already played Yakuza 2. I played the poo poo out of Yakuza 2. I even beat the Amon siblings. That game was radicool as gently caress.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

alcharagia posted:

I actually already played Yakuza 2. I played the poo poo out of Yakuza 2. I even beat the Amon siblings. That game was radicool as gently caress.

Wait... You loved Yakuza 2 (best Yakuza game so far) and you are asking if you should go play something other then Yakuza 3 (and 4)? That does not compute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

alcharagia posted:

I just started playing Re:Chain of Memories and my advice is not to, unless you like the idea of an action RPG that won't let hit anything unless the card you're using has a higher number than the enemies, so you spend most fights running around whilst cycling through your cards looking for one that can actually damage them. Or I'm terrible at the game idk.