Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Platystemon posted:

If you’re moving them directly from the city that produced them to the front lines like an AI would, yeah sure, but who does that? There are more intelligent ways to open an attack.

Well I tend to encircle beforehand and descend all at once, but the fact remains that most of the time, you're probably gonna be disembarking or moving onto a tile that consumes 2-3 movement points. That free movement point will matter if you're using a scout turned into an archer, but otherwise, your siege units won't be attacking until the next turn anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

The White Dragon posted:

Well I tend to encircle beforehand and descend all at once, but the fact remains that most of the time, you're probably gonna be disembarking or moving onto a tile that consumes 2-3 movement points. That free movement point will matter if you're using a scout turned into an archer, but otherwise, your siege units won't be attacking until the next turn anyway.

I disagree. For this to be true there could be no tiles 2 hexes away from the city that are flat and clear, and that's going to be pretty rare. Some of your units (say, half or so) are going to have to wait until their next turn to attack regardless of type, but the others would be able to attack immediately if they weren't siege. And that's not insignificant especially when the enemy still has non-garrison units lurking about that need to be taken down.

Catapults are 8 ranged strength (16 vs. cities) and 7 defense. Composite bowmen are 11 ranged strength and 7 defense. Catapults also come with a host of penalties, including inability to benefit from terrain defense bonuses and limited visibility. Perhaps more relevantly, you're likely to have a bunch of Archer units kicking about with upgrades from fighting barbarians, which you can upgrade into composite bowmen. You can't do the same thing with catapults; they all have to be built or bought.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Um, you can pretty easily grind catapult xp on barbarians. There's absolutely nothing stopping you apart from the inconvenience of setting up and lack of sight range.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
So my takeaway from that Japan game is that if you pick composite bowmen over catapults, you ought to get the timing on the attack right. Indonesia had its capital on a hill across a river, and if I delayed my attack for siege units, they probably would've made the fight a lot harder by getting an archer garrison or whatever.

Thanks for the help, goons! Going to try a Morocco Cultural run this time around; ending the Japan game with a nuke was both glorious and kinda depressing :}

bend it like baked ham
Feb 16, 2009

Fries.
When you're promoting a sub, what's the difference between "combat strength against naval units" (Targeting) and "combat bonus when attacking" (Wolfpack)?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I believe the former counts for defense, while the latter would apply when targeting non-naval units. Except that a sub is going to stomp any embarked unit anyway, and they can't attack units on the land, can they?

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.
Based on my previous comment of never playing Attila:

All praise the President of the World, Attila the Hun!

(No poo poo, diplomatic victory)

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Mentos Dan posted:

When you're promoting a sub, what's the difference between "combat strength against naval units" (Targeting) and "combat bonus when attacking" (Wolfpack)?

Wolfpack is a stronger bonus, but doesn't count for defense. It's what I usually pick, since it's often the difference between killing an enemy unit and letting them slink away. And if a submarine gets detected it's usually dead anyway.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Yeah, wolf pack is a bonus purely for the offense. A triple promoted wolf pack sub will get you those other promotions right quick, assuming your opponent has a navy or a lot of embarked units and you can keep the sub alive.

Vicevirtuoso
Feb 3, 2014

Gort posted:

National college is not a problem and should not be manipulated. If your vision includes the manipulation of individual national wonders it is going to get entirely bogged down and become an exercise in uselessness because it will be trying to change the game to suit special interests. So, in a way, it will reflect the real world clueless manipulation of ends for entirely selfcentered motivations. Well, then, Go For It! See what you can do to entirely ruin the game. That is my opinion of course and far from my intention is it to actually offend any tender-spirited readers.

You'll get people screaming "op" or "unbalanced" for every mod you make, no matter how minor the changes. Always ignore unless they actually explain why in a reasonable manner.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Is there a mod to get rid of the trend of denouncement trains? Jesus, guys, I'm doing everyone a favor in the long run by getting rid of Greece. You should be thanking me.

e: I have a 'less-warmongering' mod, but that seems a little too over the top.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Oct 12, 2014

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Bogart posted:

Is there a mod to get rid of the trend of denouncement trains? Jesus, guys, I'm doing everyone a favor in the long run by getting rid of Greece. You should be thanking me.

No. All you can do is be stronger than them and wait until someone else starts being an rear end in a top hat. Then you can slowly get some friends back.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Bogart posted:

The best way to avoid this next time is to denounce Greece, especially if other leaders have come around to bitch about him previously. Anyone that denounces Greece along with you will care less about any warmongering you do to him. The big trick is getting one of the AI to declare war first. In the trade dialog you can see what they would be willing to take in trade to declare war on your target. As a bonus, anyone that is also at war with your target, Greece in this case, cares even less about warmongering. If you want his capital, take that first if you can. Some of the war penalty is based on the relative sizes of your empires, so not whittling him down before you take the huge penalty for taking his capital is an ok idea. After that, you can just bribe whoever to keep declaring war on your target so they do your dirty work for you. This is not always possible, as some targets are too well-liked, powerful or proseperous to get anyone else to declare war. If you start near Shaka, either murder him immediately, or use him as an attack dog. Whenever he declares peace, pay him to declare war on another civ. The more aggressive civs like the Aztecs can work for this role too.

The only way to get out of a denouncement chain is to lay low and hope for the best while being a lucrative trade partner and honoring deals. Sometimes the AI just won't like you, though.

E: You can also massively expand your military strength. That will get a lot of heat off of you in the long term.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Just got my first Civ 5 victory on Prince, as Greece. I was about to get a Domination victory, but then I got to be world leader. :v:

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Thanks, all. I mean, this isn't my first Civ rodeo, I just realized how terrible warmongering in vanilla BNW was without mods.

bend it like baked ham
Feb 16, 2009

Fries.

Kaal posted:

Wolfpack is a stronger bonus, but doesn't count for defense. It's what I usually pick, since it's often the difference between killing an enemy unit and letting them slink away. And if a submarine gets detected it's usually dead anyway.

Thanks.

I've also got a -30 happiness hit because people "want a new ideology". All I can find online is "produce more culture". Any tips?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Mentos Dan posted:

Thanks.

I've also got a -30 happiness hit because people "want a new ideology". All I can find online is "produce more culture". Any tips?

By the time you get to -30 it is well past time to switch your ideology. It's less of a big deal than you'd think, you only lose the two free policies you get for founding an Ideology. Plus all the other civilizations will like you for joining their ideology, which means that your politicking will get a lot easier.

More broadly, in addition to producing culture you also want to be producing tourism to protect yourself. Make your culture city earlier than later, as the dividends will pay out eventually. Pay attention to your influence screen, and if there's a civilization with massive tourism then cut off trade routes and open borders until you can compete.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Mentos Dan posted:

To make a long story short, you hosed up the culture game. You need to produce both tourism and culture consistently in order to counter the other Civ's tourism. Once other Civs produce enough tourism, they'll start to become influential with you, and your Civs will want to change to their ideology. This late there's not too much you can do other than try to produce lots of Great Musicians to play concert tours in the Civ with the most tourism (or just invade the hell out of everyone).

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mentos Dan posted:

Thanks.

Well the alternatives to “produce more culture” are “produce more happiness”, “produce more tourism”, or “switch ideologies”. The pressure you receive is related to the difference in your tourism level on them versus their tourism level on you, so if you pump enough tourism to become “exotic” instead of “unknown”, your people will become less unhappy.

quote:

Unknown (Tourism < 10% Culture)
Exotic (Tourism ≥ 10% Culture)
Familiar (Tourism ≥ 30% Culture)
Popular (Tourism ≥ 50% Culture)
Influential (Tourism ≥ 100% Culture)
Dominant (Tourism ≥ 200% Culture)

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Mentos Dan posted:

Thanks.

Build the Manhattan Project. Burn the world.

Then ask your citizens if they really want to live in the radioactive hellholes that you turned the world's tourist destinations into.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Platystemon posted:

Well the alternatives to “produce more culture” are “produce more happiness”, “produce more tourism”, or “switch ideologies”. The pressure you receive is related to the difference in your tourism level on them versus their tourism level on you, so if you pump enough tourism to become “exotic” instead of “unknown”, your people will become less unhappy.

You forgot "eliminate the civ(s) pressuring you". It's probably the fastest solution that doesn't involve giving up your chosen bonuses to boot.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

If you came into an Ideology late and only got one or no bonus policy, switching to whichever Ideology has the most pressure on you now is probably the way to go.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Is going wide viable for cultural victories?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

toasterwarrior posted:

Is going wide viable for cultural victories?

To the extent that going wide is viable at all. It's quite possible at Prince, less so at Immortal. Tourism is the one thing that isn't actively penalized by going wide, but it is still heavily reliant on science - which is definitely hampered by going wide.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Oct 12, 2014

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Some guy earlier made a "quality of life" modpack that can be played singleplayer with achievements or even in multiplayer without trouble, so I thought I'd do the same with the collection of mods I play multiplayer with.

To use the modpack:

1. Download it from here.

2. Copy the folder in the zipfile into your \Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization v\Assets\DLC folder

3. Play the game with the normal singleplayer/multiplayer menu, not the mods menu - all multiplayer players must have followed the instructions above to be able to play.

What mods are included:

Active AI Diplomacy in MP - Allow the AI to propose deals in MP, so they act just like the SP AIs.

InfoAddict - lots of extra information and graphs so you can make better decisions.

City Limits - Shows you what hexes are already covered by cities so you can plan your settling more easily.

Promotion Melee Ranged Correction - Switches promotions when units are upgraded so melee units promoted to ranged units get ranged promotions and vice versa.

AI Rebalance - Makes AIs have smaller, more highly promoted armies, less happiness later on, and removes their free starting technologies in favour of a game-long science boost (so they are closer to the player throughout the game)

Rebalanced Warfare - Infantry units get the "siege" promotion for free (+50% strength vs cities), non-siege ranged units always have 2 range (gatling guns and up get reduced melee strength to balance) and siege units always have 3 range and can fire over obstacles.

Social Policy Rebalance - Buffs Liberty, Honour and Piety social policy trees, slightly nerfs Tradition and Rationalism.

National College Nerf - The National College gives a flat +10 science, so it's a "nice to have" rather than a "must have".

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Re-recommending that Enhanced UI mod for everyone. I learned so much more about Civ after using that mod for 10 minutes.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

How easy would it be to combine both mod packs? Or do I just drop it in the folder and its going to "stack" properly?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Azran posted:

How easy would it be to combine both mod packs? Or do I just drop it in the folder and its going to "stack" properly?

I'm not sure. I'd basically have to give it a go and see what happens.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Mentos Dan posted:

Another option is to close the borders. If you only make Open Borders agreements with nations that share your ideology, you'll eventually reduce the relative influence those ideologies have.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Are there any decent written guides out there detailing how to win on Deity?

Been flailing around on Deity Pangaea maps. It feels like a big step up from Immortal.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
There's a really interesting one on diplomatic victory on Diety using heavy diplomatic control and piety start to win - http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=521674

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

alcaras posted:

Are there any decent written guides out there detailing how to win on Deity?

Been flailing around on Deity Pangaea maps. It feels like a big step up from Immortal.

A common strategy is to play a Duel-sized Pangaea map as Germany with raging barbarians.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

alcaras posted:

Are there any decent written guides out there detailing how to win on Deity? Been flailing around on Deity Pangaea maps. It feels like a big step up from Immortal.

There are guides for beating Deity as a gimmick. The best one is a Duel Pangea map as Germany with Raging Barbarians, and just bowling over your opponent. Winning on Deity in a non-gimmicky way basically requires nearly perfect play, smart choices of map and nation, and a good amount of luck. Sometimes, like when you're sandwiched between Shaka, Genghis, and Alexander, it just isn't going to happen. Adhere to the standard four-city tradition-build, be smart about the techs you need versus the techs you don't, manage your diplomacy well by creating denouncing chains for the other AIs to work over, and build up a large and experienced military that you know how to use.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Azran posted:

Nope! This doesn't work, the UI is completely hosed. I wonder if I should just download the rebalance mods through the workshop while having the QoL modpack as DLC.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Azran posted:

Nope! This doesn't work, the UI is completely hosed. I wonder if I should just download the rebalance mods through the workshop while having the QoL modpack as DLC.

The DLC modpack maker is here if you want to have a go doing it the proper way.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Gort posted:

The DLC modpack maker is here if you want to have a go doing it the proper way.

Alright, thanks!

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Kaal posted:

There are guides for beating Deity as a gimmick. The best one is a Duel Pangea map as Germany with Raging Barbarians, and just bowling over your opponent. Winning on Deity in a non-gimmicky way basically requires nearly perfect play, smart choices of map and nation, and a good amount of luck. Sometimes, like when you're sandwiched between Shaka, Genghis, and Alexander, it just isn't going to happen. Adhere to the standard four-city tradition-build, be smart about the techs you need versus the techs you don't, manage your diplomacy well by creating denouncing chains for the other AIs to work over, and build up a large and experienced military that you know how to use.

No, don't build up a large military. Harass a single city-state to get experience for your units, but remember that resources spent on military units don't get used for buildings. Try your best to have a small but fast navy and experienced military to deter invasions without investing too many resources on defence.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Is there a good write-up for the standard four city tradition build?

I found http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=523371 but it explicitly mentions that it's not for Deity, and beside, only uses three cities.

Also, MadDjinn always seems to win vs. Deity on his games so I guess I'm aspiring to be as good as he is ... or at least figuring out how to go about learning to get there.

I'll give that "small" deity mode a try.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

No, don't build up a large military. Harass a single city-state to get experience for your units, but remember that resources spent on military units don't get used for buildings. Try your best to have a small but fast navy and experienced military to deter invasions without investing too many resources on defence.

Well your mileage might vary I guess, but generally speaking you're going to need a fair amount of military units to build up your military score so that you aren't the weakest kid on the block. Unit experience helps your military score, but you also need numbers. And one thing that players invariably underestimate is how large armies can get. If you try to survive till the Renaissance with two warriors and three archers to defend a four city nation, you'll get invaded and completely overwhelmed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Ok, lesson learned: don't invade city-states unless eternal war is your goal. Four civilizations went to war with me after I took a CS for my final city :stare:

Granted, I did neglect my military and the two nearest civs were the Huns and the Aztecs, but I think I'll let the CS live this time. Besides, I'm Morocco and I've got two desert locations left to plant cities on anyway. Probably have to send a substantial garrison with them though.

• Locked thread