Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Exclamation Marx posted:

a week or so ago the politoons thread was whiteknighting drone strikes so they could take ted rall down a peg, lol
lmao i need to stop skipping posts without pictures in them. my policy of only reading posts if they insult my poly-amorous lover carlos latuff is making me miss gems like these.

the politoons thread remains the best 2 minute hate thread out there, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

R. Mute posted:

my poly-amorous lover carlos latuff

:catstare:

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Oh. Right. One of those clubs who charge more a month than I make in a year. I'll get right on that. :rolleyes:

Fine, I'll spell it out for you.

Republicans in the house? They were just the oppo. The Senate is your real enemy.

Everyone in the house knew on healthcare, you go all in or you get sent home in shame. Rahm's plan was to go all-in before 2010 to avoid the off-year wave that was expected with a half measure. So Rahm negotiates with Pelosi, they make a deal: small-bills that let the oppo grandstand and put the onus on the Senate to up/down. Keep this in mind before the current PPACA moved through committee.

Sometime, during this process, Durbin gets called to Bloomington and sees god. So Tricky Dicky rides into town, and waits. He also talks to some esteemed members in the house, and introduces them to god. Now, they're having a crisis of faith: There is one god, and her name was Nancy, so surely Tricky Dicky was of the proper faith; better beer summit with WH to confirm. Tricky Dicky knows Penny P and the downtown club are going to call the O-man on Rahm, to make sure Rahm can do what he said he'd do. O-man, being a very conservative and analytical individual, calls Tricky Dicky, and Tricky Dicky and gets told the house is already lost at least save the senate. Rahm, hearing of this, and with Maggy's illness weighing things down, motions to Daley its time to exit stage right.

So Daley exits stage right, no up/down vote in the senate, and we get stuck with an omnibus PPACA rather the up/downs that Pelosi had ready so long as the President was willing to sign them all.

Being a House moneyman, that's my understanding of what went down. Rahm and Pelosi knew that they could either go half in and lose the house for a generation and lose a shitload of then-safe states, or lose the Senate for one election. Obama chose the house to fall on the sword. And it did.

Or so I've heard from Rahm and Durbin in their tellings and assigning of blame.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Shear Modulus posted:

In this post-Yingluck world who is the hottest current head of state/head of government?

My vote is for Pena Nieto for a little Latin flavor.
Sadly, we just lost Laura Chinchilla. I'm a straight dude, though, so maybe there are some male hotties out there.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Obama believes there are 57 states. My Internet GF believes there is only one. I guess you could say the truth is somewhere.... in the middle :smug:

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

Obama believes there are 57 states. My Internet GF believes there is only one. I guess you could say the truth is somewhere.... in the middle :smug:

16 years of Democratic Presidents from the golden city

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

My Imaginary GF posted:

Republicans in the house? They were just the oppo. The Senate is your real enemy.

Everyone in the house knew on healthcare, you go all in or you get sent home in shame. Rahm's plan was to go all-in before 2010 to avoid the off-year wave that was expected with a half measure. So Rahm negotiates with Pelosi, they make a deal: small-bills that let the oppo grandstand and put the onus on the Senate to up/down. Keep this in mind before the current PPACA moved through committee.

Sometime, during this process, Durbin gets called to Bloomington and sees god. So Tricky Dicky rides into town, and waits. He also talks to some esteemed members in the house, and introduces them to god. Now, they're having a crisis of faith: There is one god, and her name was Nancy, so surely Tricky Dicky was of the proper faith; better beer summit with WH to confirm. Tricky Dicky knows Penny P and the downtown club are going to call the O-man on Rahm, to make sure Rahm can do what he said he'd do. O-man, being a very conservative and analytical individual, calls Tricky Dicky, and Tricky Dicky and gets told the house is already lost at least save the senate. Rahm, hearing of this, and with Maggy's illness weighing things down, motions to Daley its time to exit stage right.

So Daley exits stage right, no up/down vote in the senate, and we get stuck with an omnibus PPACA rather the up/downs that Pelosi had ready so long as the President was willing to sign them all.

Being a House moneyman, that's my understanding of what went down. Rahm and Pelosi knew that they could either go half in and lose the house for a generation and lose a shitload of then-safe states, or lose the Senate for one election. Obama chose the house to fall on the sword. And it did.

I feel like I'm reading a Damon Runyon story. Penny P is Penny Pritzker, I gather? And Daley is former mayor RM, who was still big in the Chicago machine? And he dropped out of pushing for the House bill+Senate up/down because of his wife, Maggie's illness?

Who is God in this, though?

My Imaginary GF posted:

16 years of Democratic Presidents from the golden city

You really are taking this "US is the Real Bearer of the Classical Torch" thing seriously, aren't you?

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Oct 12, 2014

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Joni Ernst argued tonight in the IA Senate debate that she still believes Iraq had WMDs.

She's going to make such an amazing replacement for Tom Harkin.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

I always have a smile on my face when I read that name, because it sounds so remarkably similiar to Latif from Strikeback. They're even in the same political spectrum. :3:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

My Imaginary GF posted:

this post was tedious as gently caress

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Shear Modulus posted:

In this post-Yingluck world who is the hottest current head of state/head of government?

My vote is for Pena Nieto for a little Latin flavor.

do Monarchs count? The royal couple of Bhutan are notorious for being a pair of total babes.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Come on, people, it's hardly fair to pile on the man like this. I think emails are easier to respond to one at a time than posts: try constituent.services@sendurbin.gov and you ought to hear back pretty quickly.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
It's been a while, but isn't this version of Rahm's position the polar opposite of how he reportedly did things during the health care push? I remember distinctly multiple stories (like this one) saying Rahm wanted to pass piecemeal bills to get a little bit at a time (which in retrospect would have crashed and burned, so I get the incentive to revise history a bit).

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Badger of Basra posted:

I lost the ability to follow it when I realized I didn't give a gently caress about pet names.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

The Warszawa posted:

It's been a while, but isn't this version of Rahm's position the polar opposite of how he reportedly did things during the health care push? I remember distinctly multiple stories (like this one) saying Rahm wanted to pass piecemeal bills to get a little bit at a time (which in retrospect would have crashed and burned, so I get the incentive to revise history a bit).

Yup, and he told Obama to just drop the whole thing when it started looking like it'd be a big fight in the Senate. Basically, if you want to believe MIGF's story, you need to ignore everything that has ever been written about PPACA.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Badger of Basra posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjfEec1mfZE

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

well, the good wife is certainly choosing a direction here. in this episode, our heroes defended a drone pilot that killed a bunch of innocents from a murder charge. she was charged because she killed innocents in the wrong way, which made it Not Okay. this obviously raises a lot of questions ranging from the morality of the drone program to the way the drone program is set up, but the good wife spent most of their episode throwing some soft-balls and skimming over these questions until the very end. after the guilty verdict, alicia says the drone pilot was a scapegoat, the judge responds by saying that while that may be true, that doesn't negate the responsibility of the pilot.

while that is of course technically true, it's also meaningless if nothing is done about the scapegoating/the greater issue involved and as long as nothing is done, thinking like that just reinforces The Greater Issue. i feel like this reflects on the show's writers as well. they're ultimately the ones making the judge's point, not only in having her saying it but also in how they chose to write this episode - bypassing the issue of drone strikes and hammering home the point of The Law Is The Law. it's a very lawyer-y way of thinking so i guess i shouldn't be surprised by it, but it disgusts me to the very core.

Badger of Basra posted:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
On that topic, scenes from a Rand Paul campaign event:

quote:

“If they’re American citizens overseas and they’re fighting for the terrorists, then hell yeah, zap ’em out of the air,” Van Winkle says. “They’ve basically chosen to relinquish their citizenship.”

Linda McHugh, a retiree from Long Island, overhears this and decides to chime in. “When he was talking about the drones, that was before we had ISIS,” she says. “We didn’t consider ISIS. We were thinking about an individual American citizen being killed.”

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

Yup, and he told Obama to just drop the whole thing when it started looking like it'd be a big fight in the Senate. Basically, if you want to believe MIGF's story, you need to ignore everything that has ever been written about PPACA.

I disagree that the piecemeal would've crashed and burned. He told Obama to drop it when the Senate actively began to undermine the plan to get the impact of healthcare reform felt before '10. Obama refused, and passed the Senate's preferred version that would ensure they kept a majority, at a loss of the House for a generation and a shitload of statehouses for the 'reasonable compromise' Obama settled on (Federal funds to states for Medicare expansion).

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

My Imaginary GF posted:

I disagree that the piecemeal would've crashed and burned.

Oh course you do, Rahm. BTW, why did you post during Shabbat? I thought you're Orthodox? :raise:

Horseshoe theory fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Oct 12, 2014

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

lol is rahm really orthodox

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Badger of Basra posted:

lol is rahm really orthodox

Personally or professionally? Much more reconstructionist then folks give credit.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

My Imaginary GF posted:

Personally or professionally? Much more reconstructionist then folks give credit.

ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfwSuMkaYY0

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/politics/iowa-poll/2014/10/11/iowa-poll-romney-clinton-president/17115473/

Iowa Poll: Romney leads Clinton in 2016 matchup

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

PupsOfWar posted:

do Monarchs count? The royal couple of Bhutan are notorious for being a pair of total babes.

Yeah I think they win.

Come to think of it all royalty never have to lift a finger and can piss away all the state money they want on the most expensive personal trainers and chefs; why aren't they all hot?

made of bees
May 21, 2013
Inbreeding?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
That and there's no requirement to be anything other than royal, so you can become a fat, hideous piece of poo poo and they can't kick you out, just cut your appearances. Someone's forking over free money every day, are you hauling rear end out of bed to hit the gym or ordering room service?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ReindeerF posted:

That and there's no requirement to be anything other than royal, so you can become a fat, hideous piece of poo poo and they can't kick you out, just cut your appearances.

Explains the mysterious disappearance of KJU!

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I think being a huge fatass is a prerequisite for joining the Kim family. Like if you get skinny they cut your public appearances.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ReindeerF posted:

I think being a huge fatass is a prerequisite for joining the Kim family. Like if you get skinny they cut your public appearances.

Literally the opposite of reality in this case.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Guess you could say, someone cut the legs from under his political career.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

My Imaginary GF posted:

Guess you could say, someone cut the legs from under his political career.

You could very well say that. I couldn't possibly comment.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

who you gonna believe, an SA gimmick account or every journalist who ever wrote about PPACA

if the story were true do you really think that rahm's ego would allow him to go this long without leaking this poo poo to every DC journalist under the sun

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Gail Wynand posted:

who you gonna believe, an SA gimmick account or every journalist who ever wrote about PPACA

if the story were true do you really think that rahm's ego would allow him to go this long without leaking this poo poo to every DC journalist under the sun

he's just a really modest self-sacrificer type, of course

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Gail Wynand posted:

You heard it here first, folks, Rahm Emanuel's got massive diarrhea, leaking poo poo all over DC!

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

ReindeerF posted:

That and there's no requirement to be anything other than royal, so you can become a fat, hideous piece of poo poo and they can't kick you out, just cut your appearances. Someone's forking over free money every day, are you hauling rear end out of bed to hit the gym or ordering room service?
CP has managed to avoid being a fatty although I suspect his medical conditions help w that ;)

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

i wonder if the royal household would pay for lipo if someone got too fat

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Badger of Basra posted:

i wonder if the royal household would pay for lipo if someone got too fat
sure, although they might not want it

the most powerful of the princesses is not exactly svelte

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Gail Wynand posted:

CP has managed to avoid being a fatty although I suspect his medical conditions help w that ;)

CP?

• Locked thread