Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

NESguerilla posted:

PS online in general is pretty pathetic. Sony has not transitioned into the online world gracefully. As much as I like PS4 it's really a joke with their endless stupid problems. 360 was better 7 years ago and thats why people bought 360's over PS3s for so long.

Nothing ever seems to work correctly. If nothing else Xbox felt stable.

My PSN works pretty drat well. Maybe I just have lowered online expectations from following Sony through PS1-4, or maybe I just play a lot of single player games.

Whatever the case, about the only thing that gives me nightmares to think about is the old firmware updates for PS3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
PS Online may seem like crap compared to Xbox Live, but consider what they are transitioning from on the PS3 and the amount of new customers they have to accommodate now. I'm more surprised that PSN hasn't been dead in the water from so many PS4s being sold.

They got work to do, though. No denying that.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice
I'm slightly disappointed by NBA2k15, I really don't see much of a difference other than the menus compared to 14.

- it still plays exactly the same. I guess your guy has slightly more weight to him, but every other player will still stop him instantly if you even brush against them.
- controls are still sluggish as hell. Your guy reacts late to everything and half the time moves even if you don't touch the stick.
- they cut out highlights, but left the pointless upcoming games spam during every break.
- the shoes and tattoos are exactly the same as 14. You have to equip all the stuff separately for home and visit games, including tattoos :wtc:

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

They came out and said in a Facebook post or something that they did load testing and stuff but at the end of the day their servers just couldn't deal with all the challenges and leaderboard type stuff.

I don't get it, plenty of games have handled leaderboards and/or challenges just fine: Spelunky, Velocity 2X, Need for Speed, Rayman Legends....... either the Driveclub devs have seriously hosed up something or they vastly underestimated how much server capacity they would need.

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011
Current theory seems to be the online stuff is trying to update too often, i.e. constantly in the middle of races as you make laptimes or pass the dynamic challenges, to the effect that they're basically DDoSing their own servers.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Aishan posted:

Current theory seems to be the online stuff is trying to update too often, i.e. constantly in the middle of races as you make laptimes or pass the dynamic challenges, to the effect that they're basically DDoSing their own servers.

They confirmed that in the wording they used in the most recent update about it.

How did they not figure that one out ahead of launch :smith:

e: The Evil Within has been likened to Resident Evil 4 and the Dark Souls games, getting great feedback and score from copies that made it out early, just not looking visually good or performing that great. The game is "intended to be an old-school throwback to horror games".

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Oct 12, 2014

theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

Metanaut posted:

I'm slightly disappointed by NBA2k15, I really don't see much of a difference other than the menus compared to 14.

- it still plays exactly the same. I guess your guy has slightly more weight to him, but every other player will still stop him instantly if you even brush against them.
- controls are still sluggish as hell. Your guy reacts late to everything and half the time moves even if you don't touch the stick.
- they cut out highlights, but left the pointless upcoming games spam during every break.
- the shoes and tattoos are exactly the same as 14. You have to equip all the stuff separately for home and visit games, including tattoos :wtc:

Thank you for this. I've always loved 2K games but this is some of the crap that bothered me so much last year. I'll save my cash this go round.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I have no idea what it is, but I want it to be from the sequel to Dishonored :(

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Iacen posted:

I have no idea what it is, but I want it to be from the sequel to Dishonored :(

Sorry, it's The Evil Within if I recognize that white hoodie-thing-guy correctly.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Jamfrost posted:

I suppose 30fps really is what gamers have to look forward to nowadays.

30fps (or less) has been the console standard for so long that most developers are gonna go for that plus more effects than dial down the shininess for 60fps because the majority of people (ie. those not posting on game message boards) don't know or care about the difference. Also some devs are just lovely and couldn't hit a higher frame rate if they tried.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ularg posted:

PS Online may seem like crap compared to Xbox Live

Not recently. Live has had limited functionality and down time more often than ps4 since the bone launch.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

30fps (or less) has been the console standard for so long that most developers are gonna go for that plus more effects than dial down the shininess for 60fps because the majority of people (ie. those not posting on game message boards) don't know or care about the difference. Also some devs are just lovely and couldn't hit a higher frame rate if they tried.

Not to mention that 60fps doesn't come across in screenshots, unlike better visuals. At least most fighting games and 'character action games' will do 60fps.

That makes me wonder - has any dev ever actually released a 30fps fighting game?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Like recently or ever because I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that no PS1 era fighting game even got close to 30fps.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Picked up Evil Within from a shop that's happy to break street dates whenever it can and it's really good so far. Very atmospheric. A heavy emphasis on stealth too.

I've read nothing about this game and picked it up totally on a whim so I was very surprised that it doesn't take place entirely in the mental hospital and that you escape there at the end of the first chapter. The story seems absolutely insane so far.

G-Whizard
May 31, 2013

Leyburn posted:

Picked up Evil Within from a shop that's happy to break street dates whenever it can and it's really good so far. Very atmospheric. A heavy emphasis on stealth too.

I've read nothing about this game and picked it up totally on a whim so I was very surprised that it doesn't take place entirely in the mental hospital and that you escape there at the end of the first chapter. The story seems absolutely insane so far.

Lucky, I just finished Alien Isolation moments ago and blind pre-ordered TEW. I really hope it's good. Be sure to post more impressions.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Did you like Alien Isolation?

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

BreakAtmo posted:

Not to mention that 60fps doesn't come across in screenshots, unlike better visuals. At least most fighting games and 'character action games' will do 60fps.

That makes me wonder - has any dev ever actually released a 30fps fighting game?

A bunch of early 3D fighters on PS1 run at 30, I think.

NESguerilla posted:

Did you like Alien Isolation?

Alien: Isolation's devotion to the look of Alien and the uncompromising attempt at making the alien truly frightening, deadly and imposing makes it a fantastic game for me. I even like how they balanced the killing/violence and stuff, it's a game where you kill people, sure, but it's not ABOUT killing people and it's often the worst option.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
That makes me and my gf happy. I was a bit on the fence on buying Alien Isolation. Also, about DriveClub. Who the hell made it? Sounds like almost a up and coming developer with all these issues that are happening. Sheesh.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alien: Isolation is a great game that gets worse the more you die. The first time you go through any given area is fantastic but even a single death really really hurts it because of the way they designed the save systems. Considering it is a game with tons of insta-death and somewhat wonky enemy AI, that can lead to wildly divergent experiences.

It is a masterful attempt to make the Alien cool and scary instead of cannon fodder and it works. It just has issues being actually fun at times.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Alien: Isolation is a great game that gets worse the more you die. The first time you go through any given area is fantastic but even a single death really really hurts it because of the way they designed the save systems. Considering it is a game with tons of insta-death and somewhat wonky enemy AI, that can lead to wildly divergent experiences.

It is a masterful attempt to make the Alien cool and scary instead of cannon fodder and it works. It just has issues being actually fun at times.

That's honestly the biggest problem with the game and whether or not you'll enjoy it depends on this entirely. I think the fact the alien's AI is pretty dynamic helps with this somewhat, but repeating parts can be pretty crappy.

On the other hand, after dying in one section like 10 times and finally getting towards the exit while I can hear the alien stomping around behind me is loving TERRIFYING.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Sakurazuka posted:

Like recently or ever because I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that no PS1 era fighting game even got close to 30fps.

I know for a fact that Bloody Roar 2 ran at 60, so there you go.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Oct 12, 2014

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Shindragon posted:

Also, about DriveClub. Who the hell made it? Sounds like almost a up and coming developer with all these issues that are happening. Sheesh.
Motorstorm devs did.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I heard Alien Isolation is goddamn terrifying on PC with an Occulus Rift, which it supports out of the box... wish that thing would come out already and the PS4 supported it, but of course Sony has to make their own thing. :negative:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Sakurazuka posted:

VF2 is 60FPS on Saturn and there are absolutely a few 60FPS fighter on PSX. There are actually 60FPS FPS, games of all kinds on PSX, Saturn, even N64 has a few. Also most 2D ports on PSX (and many on Dreamcast too) use 3D hit boxes running at 60FPS with the sprites used as flat textures. It's why the hit detection is hilarious on rushed ones like DC SFA3 or most of the PSX KoF games. The Metroid Prime games looked incredible on release and were locked at 60FPS on Gamecube, hell Turok 1 was 60, this isn't an unreachable bar at all. There are several launch era PS2 games at 60FPS. Just Halo came out and people suddenly found 24FPS acceptable or whatever, I don't know. Even when very egregious stuff like Lords of Shadow came out most reviews didb't mention how choppy and awful the framerate is.

I can play stuff like Alien Trilogy or Doom 64 smoothly so it doesn stand out as laziness to me.

Again if something is at 30FPS it's not world ending or whatever but I just can't stand the "constant flux between 15-30" version of "30FPS" people accept now. It looks like crap to me.

G-Whizard
May 31, 2013

cat doter posted:

That's honestly the biggest problem with the game and whether or not you'll enjoy it depends on this entirely. I think the fact the alien's AI is pretty dynamic helps with this somewhat, but repeating parts can be pretty crappy.

On the other hand, after dying in one section like 10 times and finally getting towards the exit while I can hear the alien stomping around behind me is loving TERRIFYING.

I played it on easy and only had minor trouble. I actually recommend playing it on easy your first time.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Shindragon posted:

Also, about DriveClub. Who the hell made it? Sounds like almost a up and coming developer with all these issues that are happening. Sheesh.
MotorStorm devs made it, and the MotorStorm games were really fun, and I don't think their online titles had this much trouble at all compared to whats happening to DC. I can still access my club currently though, which is nice but everything else has been a swing and a miss.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Neo Rasa posted:

VF2 is 60FPS on Saturn and there are absolutely a few 60FPS fighter on PSX. There are actually 60FPS FPS, games of all kinds on PSX, Saturn, even N64 has a few. Also most 2D ports on PSX (and many on Dreamcast too) use 3D hit boxes running at 60FPS with the sprites used as flat textures. It's why the hit detection is hilarious on rushed ones like DC SFA3 or most of the PSX KoF games. The Metroid Prime games looked incredible on release and were locked at 60FPS on Gamecube, hell Turok 1 was 60, this isn't an unreachable bar at all. There are several launch era PS2 games at 60FPS. Just Halo came out and people suddenly found 24FPS acceptable or whatever, I don't know. Even when very egregious stuff like Lords of Shadow came out most reviews didb't mention how choppy and awful the framerate is.

I can play stuff like Alien Trilogy or Doom 64 smoothly so it doesn stand out as laziness to me.

Again if something is at 30FPS it's not world ending or whatever but I just can't stand the "constant flux between 15-30" version of "30FPS" people accept now. It looks like crap to me.

There is nothing magical about 60fps that requires special tech or something. All you have to do is less work per frame.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

haveblue posted:

There is nothing magical about 60fps that requires special tech or something. All you have to do is less work per frame.

Uh, what? There's tons of tech that does this, ie more efficient engines that can do more per frame. I see what you mean though. If you're using, say, unreal engine 3, you just need to do less stuff.

See, thing is, targeting 30fps makes a ton of sense on a console. If you're on a closed platform like the PS4, if you target 60fps that's effectively half the potential detail as a 30fps game. You can't just throw more detail at it and be like "Oh it's a high end PC game" like CD project red might. Tons of people that grew up with the 360 as their first console are suddenly up in arms that everything isn't 60fps because this is the 'next generation' and it just smacks of entitlement. This is how it's been since the beginning, the loving NES sacrificed framerate for detail. It'll be like this forever.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Its kind of amazing to hear the issues some people have with PSN. Its been rock solid steady for me since I got my PS4, even while wireless, and when there have been issues, its been my router/modem, not the network.

Parties join quickly, messages send, I download stuff from the store easily. Virtually no lag in online games, and I'm on a pretty bog standard Comcast cable connection. I can't comment on Driveclub, but drat, some of you make it seem like PSN is constantly down and unusable.

The service has actually improved drastically from PS3 days and PS+ is still the best deal in gaming. Could it be better? Sure, but I would much rather deal with PSN than Xbox Live any day.

Maybe check your home networks?

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

G-Whizard posted:

Lucky, I just finished Alien Isolation moments ago and blind pre-ordered TEW. I really hope it's good. Be sure to post more impressions.

Well I've played for a little bit over 4 hours now and I've just finished up the 5th chapter. After the stealth heavy first few hours, the game turns into a much more action heavy affair. The best way of describing it so far would be like Resident Evil 4 crossed with Silent Hill.

It really does feel like a follow up to RE4 but with a supernatural twist to it.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

a shameful boehner posted:

Its kind of amazing to hear the issues some people have with PSN. Its been rock solid steady for me since I got my PS4, even while wireless, and when there have been issues, its been my router/modem, not the network.

Parties join quickly, messages send, I download stuff from the store easily. Virtually no lag in online games, and I'm on a pretty bog standard Comcast cable connection. I can't comment on Driveclub, but drat, some of you make it seem like PSN is constantly down and unusable.

The service has actually improved drastically from PS3 days and PS+ is still the best deal in gaming. Could it be better? Sure, but I would much rather deal with PSN than Xbox Live any day.

Maybe check your home networks?

Can't speak for everyone but the problems I'm having with PSN are things like getting a notification that I got a message and then not being able to actually get the message when I look and friends lists acting weird and stuff. Haven't had any problems with games working.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

The new 3DS Zelda game runs at 60 fps.

edit: 3DS games have to run at twice the frames per second when the 3D effect is on so it's really running at 120 fps. 3DS is the most powerful system ya'll.

Stick Figure Mafia fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 12, 2014

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I wish more games ran at 60 fps because I only can get 30 enjoyment out of 30fps games. I don't know how I even deal with NES games giving out less fps/eps (Enjoyment Per Second).

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Wow, this fps argument really brought out the stupid.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

Wow, this fps argument really brought out the stupid.

Yeah we've been having meaningful conversations up until this point

Casnorf posted:

Destiny is literally Garfield. You know, fat comic strip cat, hates Mondays...Garfield.

I read an article once about Jim Davis, and how he set out to create good, marketable character, and in the process make himself fairly wealthy. He made a product so bland, so inoffensive, and so devoid of interest that nobody could possibly generate strong feelings about it, then marketed it so heavily as to make it ubiquitous. It's a real, if somewhat cynical, recipe for success.

The things Destiny does, it does well enough to get by. The things it doesn't try to do are redirected to a website where nobody will ever pay any attention. It's marketed so heavily that I'm seeing ads for it during the MLB playoffs and on LMN. It's intended to be synonymous with gaming, the way Mario is and Madden and Call of Duty try to be. That's where the half-billion went.

That doesn't mean it's bad, just bland and cynical. I think the occasional Garfield strip is amusing, too. For a few minutes.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
FPS also stands for funs per second and if I'm not maximizing my FPS then I'm not maximizing my funs.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

Yeah we've been having meaningful conversations up until this point
I think that's a pretty good analogy, based on my experience with Destiny.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I'm slowly teetering towards getting TEW but I think I'm the one person on the planet who didn't play RE4 so I have no loving clue how that is a good or a bad thing.

All I remember from people talking about it is some skeevy merchant guy, really pissed off mexicans or guatamalens, tentacles that popped out of said people's heads, and some giant loving fish that popped out of the water to kill ya.

I did like Silent Hill though.

Are the puzzles batshit insane? That's one thing I remember from Silent Hill and from the first Resident Evil.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I'm slowly teetering towards getting TEW but I think I'm the one person on the planet who didn't play RE4 so I have no loving clue how that is a good or a bad thing.

All I remember from people talking about it is some skeevy merchant guy, really pissed off mexicans or guatamalens, tentacles that popped out of said people's heads, and some giant loving fish that popped out of the water to kill ya.

I did like Silent Hill though.

Are the puzzles batshit insane? That's one thing I remember from Silent Hill and from the first Resident Evil.

The puzzles in Resident Evil 4 are much more like the puzzles in the first Resident Evil. Silent Hill can get some weird rear end puzzles at times and are fun at higher difficulty I hope to god EW doesn't go that route.
I actually just finished playing through RE4 for the first time and was surprised how much content there is. Your first run through can take around 15-20 hours and there are tons of things to do in New Game+ and beyond. I hope Evil Within retains that aspect of Resident Evil games, the multiple playthroughs with goofy rear end costumes and weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Samurai Sanders posted:

I think that's a pretty good analogy, based on my experience with Destiny.

Destiny Minus Destiny gonna be so good.

• Locked thread