Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I don't think that Masculine 'Murican Male knows how to hold that gun.
Yeah, I'm an effeminate european and even I can tell he's going to take his own loving eye out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003
Of all the ridiculous things to nitpick about that post, his weapon-handling skills aren't one; he's holding it properly.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Loopyface posted:

Of all the ridiculous things to nitpick about that post, his weapon-handling skills aren't one; he's holding it properly.

I've heard that you technically can hold the magazine but I'm not sure if you really should.

Then again I'm not reaching for a goddamn assault rifle if I hear my cat knock something over during the night.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Got you now, Osameow bin Purren :hellyeah:

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

True Americans reach for the masterpiece of Soviet engineering.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I've heard that you technically can hold the magazine but I'm not sure if you really should.

Then again I'm not reaching for a goddamn assault rifle if I hear my cat knock something over during the night.

In 2000 I was taught to hold the rifle by the heat guards along the barrel but then when I went back in the Army in 2007 I was told to hold it by the magazine well because some people were pulling the rifle so hard to try to stabilize it they'd bend the barrel slightly and screw up the ballistics. Really though it doesn't matter. The way he's got his elbows tucked it looks to me the way soldiers have been taught since sometime between 2004 and 2008 so I imagine he either learned from the Army or he's a dedicated military cosplayer who pays attention to detail.

All that putting aside how loving stupid it would be to go shooting an AK in a residential area unless you don't care about putting holes in anything or anyone that might be behind the evil bad guy while you're living out your childish action man fantasy.

e: Even then putting aside the dumb idea of shooting a guy over a TV.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I don't think Jesus approves of having AK-47s in the house.

They seem like a really bad idea to have in general, let alone when you're half asleep and paranoid, wandering around your house in the dark, with your family there.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
Just going to leave this here for anyone with slacktivists in their feeds.

BigPoot
Jan 16, 2013

OldMemes posted:

They seem like a really bad idea to have in general, let alone when you're half asleep and paranoid, wandering around your house in the dark, with your family there.

Regardless of your stance on guns and gun ownership, an AK is ridiculous to use for home defense. They have a tendency to shoot through walls and all that sort of thing.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Neither, I'd just assume it was the cat knocking something over. And certainly not the big gun, statistically it's more likely you'll accidentally shoot a family member returning late than someone trying to murder you in your bed.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Fatkraken posted:

Neither, I'd just assume it was the cat knocking something over. And certainly not the big gun, statistically it's more likely you'll accidentally shoot a family member returning late than someone trying to murder you in your bed.

That's just the price of Freedom! The tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of patriots. :911:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Leofish posted:

That's just the price of Freedom! The tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of patriots. :911:

What we need to do then is to kill more patriots.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

If Stephen Fry ever has Sue Perkins, Sandi Toksvig and Graham Norton on the show on the same night, that's what they should call it.

More like LGBQI if you're going to have 4 people that have used 'tranny' as the butt of a joke.

:colbert:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

BigPoot posted:

Regardless of your stance on guns and gun ownership, an AK is ridiculous to use for home defense. They have a tendency to shoot through walls and all that sort of thing.

I have a gun dude on my feed who claims he can come up with at least 10 valid reasons to use an AK for home defense. I really wonder how someone becomes that paranoid.

Marley Wants More
Oct 22, 2005

woof
If your home is a mountain cave in Anbar province and ISIS is coming for you? There's one.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

I have a gun dude on my feed who claims he can come up with at least 10 valid reasons to use an AK for home defense. I really wonder how someone becomes that paranoid.

I can try to emulate him:
1. Black people Urban Ferals finally starting to tear down America
2. Mexican drug cartels out to get the white middle class
3. Communists doing their revolution
4. Muslims killing Christians for Satan
5. NWO culling the population
6. The gays coming to infect every straight person with AIDS
7. Feminism for some crazy reason or other
8. The UN creating a world government
9. Obama's police state trying to kill whitey
10. Ebola turning people into zombies or something

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009

Crain posted:

Anyone else getting posts that go: "Saying white girls love pumpkin spice [whatevers] is fine, but saying black people love [purple drank/friend chicken/watermelon] is racist"? The insinuation being that it's either equally racist (and stop making fun of poor white me) or that it should be fine to latter statement.

I've been seeing that pop up a bit too much and I don't have near the amount of patience to try and explain the context behind black stereotypes.

I know I'm a page behind, but here's a pretty interesting article about watermelon as a negative stereotype. Defenders of slavery used watermelon as a symbol of the symplicity of slaves. They did not need fancy things like freedom or rights to be happy. The only thing they needed was a patch of shade and a watermelon.

http://www.ferris.edu/jimcrow/question/may08/

Negative stereotypes about fried chicken have largely been linked to Birth of a Nation, the 1915 hugely successful KKK movie. In that movie, black legislators are shown drinking and eating fried chicken, demonstrating the terrible afftect of giving African Americans the right to vote.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4v_yRFf4-Y

So the difference between those stereotypes and pumpkin spice, was pumpkin spice lattes were never a propaganda tool of slavery and oppression.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Perry Normal posted:

Just going to leave this here for anyone with slacktivists in their feeds.

No, this one's got it all wrong. No bra day is more like "stare really obviously at everyone to support the blind day" or "flail your limbs frantically to support amputees day".

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

OldMemes posted:

Aw, bless.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

BonHair posted:

I can try to emulate him:
1. Black people Urban Ferals finally starting to tear down America
2. Mexican drug cartels out to get the white middle class
3. Communists doing their revolution
4. Muslims killing Christians for Satan
5. NWO culling the population
6. The gays coming to infect every straight person with AIDS
7. Feminism for some crazy reason or other
8. The UN creating a world government
9. Obama's police state trying to kill whitey
10. Ebola turning people into zombies or something

Actually he's a social liberal in almost every other regard, which makes it more baffling.

I'm pretty sure he's more or less a Libertarian but won't say it outright. He mostly just hates cops.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
It begins with this. Posted by an Alaska-native, ARE SARAH supporting white girl with dreads, who firmly believes in just about every conspiracy theory about Muslims. Article: http://conservativetribune.com/states-have-banned-sharia-law/

And then it goes nuts. Jordan is my sister (the comments with the lighter blue picture are me stealing her keyboard), Ashley is another brave soul wading into the fray armed with a religious studies degree and two brain cells to rub together, Brandie is the OP, and Glenn is apparently a shrieking idiot (I don't know him). The others are minor contributors that I don't know. I think I forgot to blank out Glenn's last name somewhere but gently caress going back to do it again because that means re-saving things.

:suicide:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Staryberry posted:

I know I'm a page behind, but here's a pretty interesting article about watermelon as a negative stereotype. Defenders of slavery used watermelon as a symbol of the symplicity of slaves. They did not need fancy things like freedom or rights to be happy. The only thing they needed was a patch of shade and a watermelon.

http://www.ferris.edu/jimcrow/question/may08/

Negative stereotypes about fried chicken have largely been linked to Birth of a Nation, the 1915 hugely successful KKK movie. In that movie, black legislators are shown drinking and eating fried chicken, demonstrating the terrible afftect of giving African Americans the right to vote.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4v_yRFf4-Y

So the difference between those stereotypes and pumpkin spice, was pumpkin spice lattes were never a propaganda tool of slavery and oppression.

I was gonna post most of this, but to expound a little more, back during the slavery era black slaves often got the undesirable parts of the chicken, the various giblets and entrails and feet and if they were lucky they got some actual meat too. Often times they could also raise their own chickens, but without any grain to feed them they were often thin and gamey. So in order to make all this unappetizing stuff taste better they would bread them in flour and fry them in lard. So at the time fried chicken was a symbol of garbage only fit to be eaten by slaves.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

TheKennedys posted:

It begins with this. Posted by an Alaska-native, ARE SARAH supporting white girl with dreads, who firmly believes in just about every conspiracy theory about Muslims. Article: http://conservativetribune.com/states-have-banned-sharia-law/

And then it goes nuts. Jordan is my sister (the comments with the lighter blue picture are me stealing her keyboard), Ashley is another brave soul wading into the fray armed with a religious studies degree and two brain cells to rub together, Brandie is the OP, and Glenn is apparently a shrieking idiot (I don't know him). The others are minor contributors that I don't know. I think I forgot to blank out Glenn's last name somewhere but gently caress going back to do it again because that means re-saving things.

lol at "google dearborn Michigan." The Muslim community in the Detroit area has been here for generations and they're the most harmless, assimilated people on Earth.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Generally the best response is just to ask 'hey, what is Sharia law?'.

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009
I don't even know. The person who posted this isn't really that smart while being extremely conservative so I kind of expect it from her. Still, really?

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

Esmerelda posted:

I don't even know. The person who posted this isn't really that smart while being extremely conservative so I kind of expect it from her. Still, really?

This kind of sounds like the plot of the last season of Torchwood

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

This kind of sounds like the plot of the last season of Torchwood

That season was pretty good though. :v:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Henchman of Santa posted:

lol at "google dearborn Michigan." The Muslim community in the Detroit area has been here for generations and they're the most harmless, assimilated people on Earth.

I went to school in Dearborn. It's nice city. I don't recall being forced to grow a beard or not being able to drink at any of the dozens of downtown bars. It also has a lot of Chaldeans (Christians of middle-eastern origin).

Ironically, the city used to have a very racist past. Elected officials used to campaign on slogans like "Keep Dearborn clean" (ie. white). I can't imagine why Henry Ford loved it so much.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Esmerelda posted:

This is the second time someone's posted something with this exact line of thinking and it's still just as dumb. Why would they quarantine us into death camps if we're already gonna die? Wouldn't it just be easier to let nature run its course?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

This is seriously a "breast cancer awareness" thing

What the gently caress

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Zero One posted:

Ironically, the city used to have a very racist past. Elected officials used to campaign on slogans like "Keep Dearborn clean" (ie. white). I can't imagine why Henry Ford loved it so much.

I know you're joking, but even living in Michigan myself it's shocking how many people have no idea how astoundingly racist Ford was.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

FirstAidKite posted:

This is seriously a "breast cancer awareness" thing

What the gently caress

I don't know what it has to do with breast cancer, but it is loving hilarious.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Fordlandia was pretty much a IRL setting for a Bioshock game.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

TheKennedys posted:

I'm so glad they brought up stoning and child brides.

From earlier in the week:

Picnic Princess posted:

Don't forget public stonings and child brides! :downs:

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Crosspost from AUG

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

RFC2324 posted:

I don't know what it has to do with breast cancer, but it is loving hilarious.

I didn't know either, I figured it was just someone else using her account to post something stupid as a prank, but after I left a comment just saying "gj" she messaged me back with this canned response

Facebook Person posted:

Dear fellow slug victim. I'm sorry i have lost at this game and now so have you! You liked or commented on my status so you must now post the following message as your status to continue the game for breast cancer awareness month (unless you have lost your sense of humor). I know nobody will read my status but sometimes, when I'm bored, I get wrapped up in a sleeping bag and lather butter all over myself and slide around the kitchen floor pretending I'm a slug.

Soooo people post something stupid and if someone else comments on it at all or likes the status, then they're told it is a breast cancer awareness thing and that they need to pass it on chain letter style. Ugh.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

FirstAidKite posted:

I didn't know either, I figured it was just someone else using her account to post something stupid as a prank, but after I left a comment just saying "gj" she messaged me back with this canned response

Soooo people post something stupid and if someone else comments on it at all or likes the status, then they're told it is a breast cancer awareness thing and that they need to pass it on chain letter style. Ugh.

Tell her no, call her an idiot, and post a donation link to a breast cancer charity instead.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

FirstAidKite posted:

Getting rid of facebook was one of the best decisions I ever made.

Marley Wants More
Oct 22, 2005

woof

bonestructure posted:

Getting rid of facebook was one of the best decisions I ever made.

Ha, the joke's on you. Without Facebook you probably have no idea that injecting bleach into your veins will keep you immune from Ebola. Don't blame us when you get sick, I'm just sayin'....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Sludge Tank posted:

Crosspost from AUG

It's like Dee Reynolds trying out a chav character.

• Locked thread