Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Papercut posted:

Why do you guys have a category for trash? My categories are just "finished" and "unfinished", and "finished" includes anything I'll never play.

Bundles. I'm too lazy to check if a free game is poo poo. On the other hand, some games are worth replaying so I can't just chuck everything into the Beaten category.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Authorman posted:

It's not a Metal Gear script. It's a Devil May Cry script. This does not necessarily speak on the quality of the script, just the style.

I mean unless you have taste.

Look at you, Mr. Garfield-Doesn't-Count-As-Literature well laaa dee daaa hork hork hork.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Like MGS is not filled with silly poo poo.

Revengeance is consistent with the Twin Snakes tone. And it is awesome because of it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
He crawls around in a box for god's sake. The entire series is parts goofy as gently caress, pretty interesting, and just plain lovely like a CallofDuty as far as the script goes.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Regardless, I did not enjoy Revengeance.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat
Metal Gear has a very distinct style which is its own dumb thing. That does not include kickflipping pizzas. If you are a person who wants to play Rising because it is a Metal Gear game and you want a dumb Metal Gear plot you are going to be disappointed.

This is what I did. This is why I did not like that game. Also the garbage camera and having any potentially interesting bit spoiled by goons posting every monkey cheese moment in every thread before the game even came out on God's Preferred Platform.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Nah he is wrong, MGR is very Metal Gear in its plot.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Authorman posted:

If you are a person who wants to play Rising because it is a Metal Gear game and you want a dumb Metal Gear plot you are going to be disappointed.

You are objectively wrong.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
drat, if I classified games as finished and unfinished, there would be basically nothing in the finished category.

I kinda wish I could just auto-categorize by the tags that the games already have.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Authorman posted:

If you are a person who wants to play Rising because it is a Metal Gear game and you want a dumb Metal Gear plot you are going to be disappointed.
The only way a Metal Gear plot can be disappointing is by not having any venomous hamsters.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

drat, if I classified games as finished and unfinished, there would be basically nothing in the finished category.

I kinda wish I could just auto-categorize by the tags that the games already have.

The ways that would break would at least be pretty hilarious.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Thanks for all the category lists guys. I figured out a way of categorizing games by the one thing that really matters.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Authorman posted:

Metal Gear has a very distinct style which is its own dumb thing. That does not include kickflipping pizzas. If you are a person who wants to play Rising because it is a Metal Gear game and you want a dumb Metal Gear plot you are going to be disappointed.

Except the plot is very, very Metal Gear. Raiden is not doing a single pizza kickflip thing because that's not the persona Raiden has in it.
Revengeance is very much a sequel to both MGS2 and MGS4, and is completely consistent in characterization with them. It deals with MGS4's events, anyways.

It does escalate the ridiculousness a LOT though, but there is the precedent of Twin Snakes. That one was closer in tone to DMC3 anyways.

Onnnn the other hand, Jetstream Sam in the DLC is somewhat reminiscent of the perpetually amused DMC4 Dante

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Samurai Sanders posted:

https://github.com/rallion/depressurizer/
hello

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Oh my.

edit: on my first run of auto-categorizing by tags, Broforce ended up alone in a category called "America".

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 12, 2014

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I've played through all of Metal Gear Rising as well as a good chunk of the Metal Gear Solid series, and I've played quite a bit of Devil May Cry 1 and 3. Saying that Metal Gear Rising's plot is at all similar to those is pretty much blatantly wrong, Metal Gear Rising is a game that actively attempts to and succeeds in containing an awesome amount of Metal Gear Solid insanity.

Also, that Depressurizer thing sounds really goddamn useful.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I didn't know they did this:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

gently caress yes.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

how me a frog posted:

Endless Legend is a good game imo but to be brutally honest it is literally Endless Space with a (MUCH) worse battle system.

Wait, what exactly is the problem with Endless Legend's combat? I thought Endless Space had a nice interface and some interesting ideas but I absolutely hated its military/combat, it was too finicky and unintuitive for me.

Endless Legend looks to have a King's Bounty-ish combat system which I never had any problems with.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

404notfound posted:

I didn't know they did this:

Enhanced Steam does this, not Valve.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Have any of the people traumatized by Runaway tried the studio's later games?
"the new, hilarious adventure gem from the creators of Runaway. A great adventure game in high definition, loaded with laughs, tributes, mysteries and wacky puzzles!"
"After captivating players from all around the world with the mythic Runaway trilogy, Pendulo Studios presents a new adventure gaming masterpiece!"

I wish Steam had the German Simon the Sorcerer games.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition STILL doesn't support Steam cloud saving? What is with that anyway?

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

CheeseThief posted:

So I saw the Home Interactive publisher sale for this weekend, in particular the bundle for the Spider Studio RPGs caught my eye. Anyone want to weigh in on the quality of these games?

Bound by Flame
Faery - Legends of Avalon
Mars: War logs
Of Orcs and Men

Worth £20? Reviews seem to run from generally good to mixed on steam.

I played only a bit of Bound by Flame but it's aggressively mediocre and boring. On the other hand Styx Master of Shadows looks like an at least serviceable stealth game where you are NOT Sam Fisher's clone shooting guns.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
As someone who recently played MGS1 for first time, having only looked at it because of MGR, which I'd only looked at because of DMC, which I only looked at because DmC was free on PS+, MGR is much closer to MGS in terms of writing and tone than it is to DMC. MGS and MGR try to take themselves seriously, DMC doesn't give a poo poo.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
The series with goddamn poisonous hamsters, a huge goddamn mech that can shoot goddamn nukes. I mean crying out loud SNAKE fought a Metal gear on goddamn foot. It fits with MGR. Sorry you have no soul and can't enjoy the kick rear end buttrock music.

:colbert:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Samurai Sanders posted:

Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition STILL doesn't support Steam cloud saving? What is with that anyway?

I wouldn't be surprised if Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition still saved to its install point in SteamApps.

Yes, there are games that still do this after Windows XP has been superseded for eight years and OS X and Linux have never been cool with it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

SelenicMartian posted:

Have any of the people traumatized by Runaway tried the studio's later games?
"the new, hilarious adventure gem from the creators of Runaway. A great adventure game in high definition, loaded with laughs, tributes, mysteries and wacky puzzles!"
"After captivating players from all around the world with the mythic Runaway trilogy, Pendulo Studios presents a new adventure gaming masterpiece!"

I wish Steam had the German Simon the Sorcerer games.

I have tried Yesterday, and it sucked. That's my story of Pendulo games.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

As someone who recently played MGS1 for first time, having only looked at it because of MGR, which I'd only looked at because of DMC, which I only looked at because DmC was free on PS+, MGR is much closer to MGS in terms of writing and tone than it is to DMC. MGS and MGR try to take themselves seriously, DMC doesn't give a poo poo.

Nooooope.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

MGS and MGR try to take themselves seriously, DMC doesn't give a poo poo.

MGS tends to have dramatic moments and somewhat serious main plots.

But they do not take themselves seriously at ALL. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K--YiJma6xI

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

The keyword is try. Are they serious? gently caress no. But the presentation is in such a way that it wants both me as the player and the characters in the world to take everything at facevalue. No one calls out shenanigans even when they're blatantly obvious.*

Dante just laughs and murders all the demons. The only thing he takes even remotely seriously is Vergil. Period.

*At least this has been the case so far. Remember I've only played MGS1 and MGR

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

The keyword is try. Are they serious? gently caress no. But the presentation is in such a way that it wants both me as the player and the characters in the world to take everything at facevalue. No one calls out shenanigans even when they're blatantly obvious.*

Dante just laughs and murders all the demons. The only thing he takes even remotely seriously is Vergil. Period.

Once again, seriously, nope.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpOgRkzyaw4

Orv
May 4, 2011
Anyone who takes any of the sociopolitical and war philosophy parts of MGS seriously is just enabling Kojima to make another MGS4. No-one wants that.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

This isn't an either/or situation you know. Kojima most definitely is trying to craft games with some, if not necessarily deep, then certainly pervasive themes, he also just likes throwing in a bunch of silly stuff too.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Did you maybe not get to this part in MGR???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhCPG0qqRW8

The Metal Gear series has a weird tonal clash because of its postmodernist tendency to include real-world disasters and injustices on an explicit textual level, but it's very much a work of parody through and through. MGR is one big parody of American international politics.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

How to Survive is the daily, how is it? It looks like a... survivalist ARPG?

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Zombie Samurai posted:

It's not really that "survivalist" as you're playing through a campaign, but I enjoyed it. It's got a cool crafting system and isn't really that much of an ARPG besides the point and click isometric gameplay. There isn't much random loot for example, you mostly scavenge and find pieces and craft them into your armor/weapons/etc.

The co-op is cool too.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Orv posted:

Anyone who takes any of the sociopolitical and war philosophy parts of MGS seriously is just enabling Kojima to make another MGS4. No-one wants that.

:confused:

MGS4 was amazing, why wouldn't you want that?? Must be terrible not being able to have fun, my goondolences.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

corn in the bible posted:

Regardless, I did not enjoy Revengeance.

what in the gently caress?

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Zombie Samurai posted:

Steam shows I put 12 hours into it, but I gave up on it after a certain point. The general gameplay is fine, but the crafting got to be too annoying for me. You need to find a bunch of random gubbins to piece together all kinds of stuff, but you have limited inventory space, no 'bank' type storage chest, and if you drop things on the ground they disappear after you reload your save. Playing 'guess which bit is important' is my least favorite mini-game. Once I ran into that problem, I just dropped it and moved on to the next game. The backlog's too long, you know?

Edit: To be fair, after checking a bit, the game's Steam forums claim dropped items don't disappear, but I recall they were doing that for me. So your mileage may vary.

BobTheJanitor fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Oct 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Anonymous Robot posted:

Did you maybe not get to this part in MGR???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhCPG0qqRW8

The Metal Gear series has a weird tonal clash because of its postmodernist tendency to include real-world disasters and injustices on an explicit textual level, but it's very much a work of parody through and through. MGR is one big parody of American international politics.
I think all of them are parodies of American international politics. Are there any that don't show an American presence?

• Locked thread