Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boss Man Bing
Sep 10, 2014

it's Gaelic for "thy turkey is done"

egon_beeblebrox posted:

You're in for a good time.

I hate Leo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

New shoes.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Did anyone notice the sheer amount of mounted deer there were in this series? I know the owls were (in-universe) said to represent the presence of evil, but there is really a incredible amount of deer in this series, and quite a lot of close-ups on them at that. Anyone ever see any theories floating around?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Tosk posted:

Did anyone notice the sheer amount of mounted deer there were in this series? I know the owls were (in-universe) said to represent the presence of evil, but there is really a incredible amount of deer in this series, and quite a lot of close-ups on them at that. Anyone ever see any theories floating around?

My personal theory is that it's a rural town where people like to hunt.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

regulargonzalez posted:

My personal theory is that it's a rural town where people like to hunt.

Yeah, I grew up in rural towns and mounted deer were everywhere. As far as I know, no demonic owls, though.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Useless Shotgun posted:

Honestly right now I want to hear that they are getting Angelo Badalamenti for this series. His music was a huge part of the great atmosphere Twin Peaks provided. If anybody here hasn't seen it yet, his telling of the creation of Laura Palmer's theme is amazing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgXLEM8MhJo

"And now go back into the dark woods"
*minor chords*

This is loving fantastic.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

Jsor posted:

All I know is that the discussion thread for it should be called "Twin Peaks: That gum you like has come back in style"

It is a crime this hasn't happened yet.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
I've made it through the end of the Laura Palmer story line (no spoilers). Man, I love this show. drat good show! <Thumbs up>.

So far, barring a couple of weaker episodes and some weird shifts in characterization for a couple characters in the first episode (they seem to reel it back after the first episode oddly), the first part of season 2 is really pretty much as good as season 1 was. A few of the episodes are some of the best of the series. Man, I loved the opening scene of the first episode of season 2 so much, with the oblivious old man and his warm milk. I mean, there's never been anything like that on TV before has there? That about sums up why I love this show. It's so loving bizarre and moody, I really couldn't care less if it made no sense at all, or if everything was a red herring, and they never solved a single mystery. I just love the mood and the weirdness so much, I could watch the show just for that.

So, the show is supposed to start to suck real bad until the final episode apparently, which is disappointing. If the rest barring the finale is more like the Andy's Sperms parts than the Lynchian poo poo, that is really disappointing. Oh well, at least there's still the last episode and movie to look forward to. And the new series, of course.

Really, really loving excited for the new series now. I hope it's as baffling, weird, awkward, nonsensical, moody, and sheer batshit crazy as Twin Peaks has ever been.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Damo posted:

So, the show is supposed to start to suck real bad until the final episode apparently,

Don't listen to anyone who tells you that. The next three or four episodes are pretty bad; it's obvious that they didn't really know where to go with the story once the main mystery was resolved. After that, however, it really improves. The last handful of episodes (starting when Heather Graham shows up) are as good as or better than any other episodes in the series.

And the bad episodes are a lot better if you just skip any scenes with James or Nadine.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

...! posted:

And the bad episodes are a lot better if you just skip any scenes with James or Nadine.

I would watch all of it the first time through, so you get the full experience. After that, absolutely, skip that nonsense.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Damo posted:

I've made it through the end of the Laura Palmer story line (no spoilers). Man, I love this show. drat good show! <Thumbs up>.

So far, barring a couple of weaker episodes and some weird shifts in characterization for a couple characters in the first episode (they seem to reel it back after the first episode oddly), the first part of season 2 is really pretty much as good as season 1 was. A few of the episodes are some of the best of the series. Man, I loved the opening scene of the first episode of season 2 so much, with the oblivious old man and his warm milk. I mean, there's never been anything like that on TV before has there? That about sums up why I love this show. It's so loving bizarre and moody, I really couldn't care less if it made no sense at all, or if everything was a red herring, and they never solved a single mystery. I just love the mood and the weirdness so much, I could watch the show just for that.

So, the show is supposed to start to suck real bad until the final episode apparently, which is disappointing. If the rest barring the finale is more like the Andy's Sperms parts than the Lynchian poo poo, that is really disappointing. Oh well, at least there's still the last episode and movie to look forward to. And the new series, of course.

Really, really loving excited for the new series now. I hope it's as baffling, weird, awkward, nonsensical, moody, and sheer batshit crazy as Twin Peaks has ever been.

Season 2 isn't as bad as people are saying. It's just nowhere near as great as season 1. Stick with it, if only because it gets quite good again late, and the final episode is as good as it gets.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

...! posted:

Don't listen to anyone who tells you that. The next three or four episodes are pretty bad; it's obvious that they didn't really know where to go with the story once the main mystery was resolved. After that, however, it really improves. The last handful of episodes (starting when Heather Graham shows up) are as good as or better than any other episodes in the series.

It's not that they didn't have any idea where to go, it's that they thought that Lynch and Frost were going to return to co-running the show any day and so they wound up spinning their wheels because they wanted to be able to just go in whatever direction Lynch and Frost wanted. But they didn't come back right away due to friction with the network, so the writers were rudderless and without a captain. They had a ton of ideas about what to do or what greater mystery to chase, but they couldn't commit.

A lot of people were really mad about it. Kyle Maclachlan apparently compared it to being abandoned by your parents.

Murderist
Aug 30, 2013

Useless Shotgun posted:

Honestly right now I want to hear that they are getting Angelo Badalamenti for this series. His music was a huge part of the great atmosphere Twin Peaks provided. If anybody here hasn't seen it yet, his telling of the creation of Laura Palmer's theme is amazing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgXLEM8MhJo

Thank you for posting this. It's mind-blowing and exactly the sort of thing I was looking for having heard of the Twin Peaks revival and coming to SA to ctrl-f for Twin Peaks. What a storyteller. The score is so integral to Twin Peaks that it's the first thing I think of when recalling the show. It's the punch that you feel long after or the slime that just won't wash off.

Tuna_Fish_Odyssey
May 15, 2013
Honestly, for as much poo poo as the second season gets, and a lot of it rightfully so, the front half of that season is my favorite chunk of the series.

Aphra Bane
Oct 3, 2013

Does Season 2 have the scene at the Road House where Julee Cruise is singing The World Spins while Donna breaks down? That was probably my favourite scene out of the entire series.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

Aphra Bane posted:

Does Season 2 have the scene at the Road House where Julee Cruise is singing The World Spins while Donna breaks down? That was probably my favourite scene out of the entire series.

Yeah, I just saw that. It's in the first third of season 2 somewhere. It's the episode where the giant dude appears on stage, I believe. Man, those roadhouse music scenes are mesmerizing. The loving music in this series. God drat, never has so much been done with such little music cues. I just loving adore the moody, tongue in cheek, atmospheric, and overbearing jazzy score of this series. Also, the breathy vocalist and her band are incredible. I mean, I'd never listen to that music on my own, but in the shows scenes which they are featured fit perfectly. The lighting during those scenes is a huge part of the mood as well. Hell the lighting in the whole series is drat fantastic and nearly as important as the score in setting the tone.

This show has invokes a mood like no other show or film I have ever seen. Beautiful, terrible, broody, awkward, menacing, innocent, dorky, sexy, tongue in cheek, serious, cutesy, cerebral, vintage, modern, weird, normal, quirky, stupid, ditzy, grounded, off the wall... the score and the show itself is a constant giant contradiction that somehow just works. What an amazing show. It's a shame I've had it sitting around for like 10 years without watching until this month.

I am so loving hyped for the new series, especially because Lynch will have full control and will be directing all episodes. I can't loving wait to see what the hell he comes up with to update Twin Peaks for the 21st century. TV has grown a lot since 1990, and it takes a hell of a lot more to be weird or stand out these days.

The only thing I hope will carry over from the original show is Kyle Maclachlan's Agent Dale Cooper. Toss out every single other character, I don't care. But please, please bring back Coop.

edit: Ha! A young Molly Shannon in her second television appearance in season 2 episode 12. Neat.

edit 2: :lol: Episode 12 again, a great exchange:
Denise: Coop, I may be wearing a dress, but I still put my panties on one leg at a time, if you know what I mean.
Coop: Not really.

Also, again in episode 12, :lol: at the little cutaway into Andy's head showing Little Nicky the devil. Really Twin Peaks? Am I watching a cartoon? That was just awful, and not in the usual awful but good way this show seemed to have mastered. I couldn't believe it when I saw it. And the men at the police station reciting poetry in unison and getting mesmerized by the hot newly widow, just what in the actual gently caress is happening in this episode?! This is it, season 2 episode 12 is easily my pick for when the show goes off the rails. It's even got coop in flannel for the first time. You can throw in Denise as another reason, but oddly enough, the Denise thing doesn't bother me. Maybe because David Duchovney in drag is just too drat fun.

Damo fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Oct 12, 2014

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
With 80s fashion inexplicably coming back in-style as of late, I'm hoping we'll have more comfy sweaters in this latest season to laugh at (or appreciate, depending on your tastes, I suppose). Lisa in particular always had some pretty swanky ones.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Party Boat posted:

If you don't like a plot about someone who can only be happy when suffering from severe brain damage I don't know what to tell you.

The execution is super goofy but that's Twin Peaks all over.

I'd have been fine with it if it didn't imbue her with friggin super powers... nevermind that I've always hated the character as a whole, she's just annoying.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Damo posted:

The loving music in this series. God drat, never has so much been done with such little music cues. I just loving adore the moody, tongue in cheek, atmospheric, and overbearing jazzy score of this series. Also, the breathy vocalist and her band are incredible. I mean, I'd never listen to that music on my own, but in the shows scenes which they are featured fit perfectly. The lighting during those scenes is a huge part of the mood as well. Hell the lighting in the whole series is drat fantastic and nearly as important as the score in setting the tone.

Just wait until the finale. My favorite musical bit in the series -- "Under the sycamore trees". It's such an amazing bit, just a short little vignette but it tells Dale that he's now in a place where logic and reason hold no sway, an extraordinarily bizarre and dangerous place. That might be my favorite bit in the entire series. The lighting is amazing too -- a simple strobe light that somehow seems both cheap and incredibly effective.

I absolutely despised the finale the first time I watched it, for reasons that will become apparent. But now it's my second favorite episode of any tv show ever, after the two-part The Wire finale.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Deakul posted:

I'd have been fine with it if it didn't imbue her with friggin super powers... nevermind that I've always hated the character as a whole, she's just annoying.

Actually, that's been a thing from the start :eng101: :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRcYWYtn8mc

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

And More posted:

Actually, that's been a thing from the start :eng101: :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRcYWYtn8mc

Huh, forgot about that.
I probably chalked that up to cheap material.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Republican Vampire posted:

It's not that they didn't have any idea where to go, it's that they thought that Lynch and Frost were going to return to co-running the show any day and so they wound up spinning their wheels because they wanted to be able to just go in whatever direction Lynch and Frost wanted. But they didn't come back right away due to friction with the network, so the writers were rudderless and without a captain. They had a ton of ideas about what to do or what greater mystery to chase, but they couldn't commit.

A lot of people were really mad about it. Kyle Maclachlan apparently compared it to being abandoned by your parents.

Both Frost and Lynch took their eyes off the ball. Both actually took time out during the filming and writing of S2 to do side projects, assuming they could come back. But the show had derailed before then and Lynch was back in time to film only the last episode. I was a fan of the series and watched when it was first broadcast but by the second half of S2 I was bored and irritated. Wyndom Earle was a cartoon villain and Billy Zane... :negative: It became a jumble of cliches at the end of S2 - until a cracking finale.

I was one of those fans who said "no S3, please" because I didn't want to see any more S2 crap, Evelyn, Little Nicky and the pine weasel. But if Lynch and Frost have control and Lynch is directing and S3 will be set now (not continuing the myriad old storylines) then I am up for S3. Bring it on! :)

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Deakul posted:

Funny you should mention that... when I watched Twin Peaks for the first time recently, I found myself wondering why the show was such a big hit in Japan, and then all of a sudden they basically turn Nadine into a Ranma 1/2 character and bam, I instantly understood.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

regulargonzalez posted:

Just wait until the finale. My favorite musical bit in the series -- "Under the sycamore trees". It's such an amazing bit, just a short little vignette but it tells Dale that he's now in a place where logic and reason hold no sway, an extraordinarily bizarre and dangerous place. That might be my favorite bit in the entire series. The lighting is amazing too -- a simple strobe light that somehow seems both cheap and incredibly effective.

Yeah, that was one of the biggest if not the biggest "Oh holy gently caress" moments I've ever experienced in a TV show. You just kind of know that nothing good is going to come of whatever's about to take place.

It's actually a bit similar to that diner scene in Mulholland Drive, where a character is in a dream-space (and/or talking about a dream) only to suddenly be confronted with the reality that they're now physically living out that dream.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Oct 12, 2014

Monagle
May 7, 2007
Wonka Wash spelled backwards.

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Both Frost and Lynch took their eyes off the ball. Both actually took time out during the filming and writing of S2 to do side projects, assuming they could come back. But the show had derailed before then and Lynch was back in time to film only the last episode. I was a fan of the series and watched when it was first broadcast but by the second half of S2 I was bored and irritated. Wyndom Earle was a cartoon villain and Billy Zane... :negative: It became a jumble of cliches at the end of S2 - until a cracking finale.

I was one of those fans who said "no S3, please" because I didn't want to see any more S2 crap, Evelyn, Little Nicky and the pine weasel. But if Lynch and Frost have control and Lynch is directing and S3 will be set now (not continuing the myriad old storylines) then I am up for S3. Bring it on! :)

Lynch shows up about 4-5 episodes before the end though as Gordon Cole, so he was obviously around starting some time before the finale.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
I don't know if it's on Hulu, but you should check out Kyle's appearance on SNL (9/29/90) in a Twin Peaks spoof.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Mister Kingdom posted:

I don't know if it's on Hulu, but you should check out Kyle's appearance on SNL (9/29/90) in a Twin Peaks spoof.

It's on Daily Motion http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7o2ca_twin-peaks-parody-by-saturday-night_fun
No spoilers for anyone who has seen through the S1 finale.
(bonus points if you can id who plays Hawk)

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Oct 13, 2014

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock

regulargonzalez posted:

It's on Daily Motion http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7o2ca_twin-peaks-parody-by-saturday-night_fun
No spoilers for anyone who has seen through, say, episode 3.

(bonus points if you can id who plays Hawk)

Actually, it has spoilers all through the end of season 1. They mention Cooper getting shot

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Damo posted:

Actually, it has spoilers all through the end of season 1. They mention Cooper getting shot

Yeah just noticed that while watching. Updated my post.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

regulargonzalez posted:

Yeah just noticed that while watching. Updated my post.

I liked the we only have two more women in the cast joke.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself

Damo posted:

The only thing I hope will carry over from the original show is Kyle Maclachlan's Agent Dale Cooper. Toss out every single other character, I don't care. But please, please bring back Coop.

I hope that they don't bring a lot of the characters from the old series into the new one, but if they do bring Coop back (which I'm sure is 100% likely) they have to bring Harry back, at least for the start of it all.

I've always enjoyed his character, but in re-watching the series, the relationship between those two character is absolutely critical to the Laura Palmer plotline and to the show itself, really. Truman grounds Cooper and the interplay between the two of them is fantastic.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Monagle posted:

Lynch shows up about 4-5 episodes before the end though as Gordon Cole, so he was obviously around starting some time before the finale.

Yes, I forgot about that. DL directed S2e2, I think. So filming of Wild at Heart must have been during most of S2 with DL appearing as Cole in the second half of S2.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Damo posted:

Yeah, I just saw that. It's in the first third of season 2 somewhere. It's the episode where the giant dude appears on stage, I believe. Man, those roadhouse music scenes are mesmerizing.

Goddamn, that scene. Everything in that scene; the music, the weird giant appearing, and then the looks on everybody's faces as they realize something is very wrong. I cry every time I watch it.

Bobby especially. The look on Bobby's face is absolutely haunting because he's always putting it on, always acting like the goofball. The despair the characters are feeling in that scene comes through the screen and as a viewer you experience it along with them. I do at least.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Oct 13, 2014

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
I'm sure I've posted this before (probably in this thread, multiple times), but that entire scene has to be one of the most viscerally disturbing scenes ever aired on network TV, and it's my favorite scene of any television show, period. It's nightmarish and emotionally poignant all at once -- such an unusual combination. The entire scene but especially the old waiter telling Cooper, "I'm so sorry," so tenderly and so sincerely....that does me in every time.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock
So, what exactly is going on in that scene anyway? You guys think that the townspeople can somehow psychically sense that something terrible has just happened and that is what floods them with emotion? That something being Maddy's death

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Damo posted:

So, what exactly is going on in that scene anyway? You guys think that the townspeople can somehow psychically sense that something terrible has just happened and that is what floods them with emotion? That something being Maddy's death

Pretty much. Everyone know something is wrong and everyone tries to ignore it except Log Lady and Coop. There's a weird unease in the air.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Damo posted:

I've always taken the presence of the spotlight in the scene and the fact that the terrible thing is intercut with the stage as a sign that, though the tall man's visit was outside of time for everyone but the old man and Coop, that the vision was part of the tall man's message, and the people there saw it in some reduced, subliminal capacity, like the single frames of porn in Fight Club.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Damo posted:

Who is flooded with emotion that shouldn't be? Donna breaks down and starts crying but she's upset about Harold's death. The other towns people in there are just kinda going about their business except for Coop who looks thoughtful/confused about the Giant's warning. The only other person in that scene that looks sad or whatever is Bobby.

Well I guess the old waiter counts too but he's either a spirit or directly connected in some way with the Giant so he doesn't count.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The fact that Bobby probably doesn't even know why precisely he's so sad at that moment makes the scene all the more powerful for me.

Its not just that one thing is wrong, the whole town is wrong. Bobby and Donna more than most know how hosed up things have become in Twin Peaks and they just can't do anything about it. Especially when you watch Fire Walk with Me and see what Bobby's life was like leading up to Laura's death; he's knows full well that bad poo poo is happening in Twin Peaks and its going to keep happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

I always felt that the townspeople at least felt slight tremors when hideous things happened. Most notably toward the final episode several of the townspeople start having strange uncontrollable twitches in their left hands.

I think part of the magic of the show is seeing ordinary country-folk have to deal with/face the darkest of circumstances.

• Locked thread