Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
i want to know why you think java looks like some compiler IR.

also sulk how's the job hunt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

FamDav posted:

also sulk how's the job hunt

My job hunt is going great, thanks for asking.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

FamDav posted:

yeah, java might be endlessly verbose but it's very readable.

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

loving lol

have you ever tried to do static analysis on ruby code?

that was my point -- you can't. hence my statement: ruby and java both have the curse that the program is identical to the sum of information that can be deduced about the program. it just manifests in opposite ways -- in java most of your program is redundant, and in ruby the extra information never becomes available

FamDav posted:

i literally have no idea what you're trying to argue except that you can't deduce anything about a ruby program?

type inference is the future and people are weirdly resistant to it

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

hepatizon posted:

that was my point -- you can't. hence my statement: ruby and java both have the curse that the program is identical to the sum of information that can be deduced about the program. it just manifests in opposite ways -- in java most of your program is redundant, and in ruby the extra information never becomes available

what the gently caress are you talking about

java is very amenable to static analysis. it is a sane language designed by smart people to be used by idiots like us

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

what the gently caress are you talking about

java is very amenable to static analysis. it is a sane language designed by smart people to be used by idiots like us

my point is that much of the static analysis is redundant with the type/exception declarations, which gives the source code a very poor signal-noise ratio. static analysis also yields optimization-y stuff but that's beside the point. the solution is of course type inference

comprehend more, anger less

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

hepatizon posted:

my point is that much of the static analysis is redundant with the type/exception declarations, which gives the source code a very poor signal-noise ratio. static analysis also yields optimization-y stuff but that's beside the point. the solution is of course type inference

Type inference in code is only as useful as to how inferable it is to the code's reader.

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

triple sulk posted:

Type inference in code is only as useful as to how inferable it is to the code's reader.

if you mean presenting the inferred type to the reader, there are trivial solutions like mouse-hover tooltips and IDE display modes. too bad java implementers didn't realize this

http://bugs.java.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=4459053 posted:

This is a well reasoned and logical RFE (that's rare enough that I feel
the need to call it out). However, I don't expect us to follow this
path in Java for the following reason:

The submitter's claim is that the type information in
a standard Java variable declaration is redundant. This may be true
from the compiler's perspective, but often it will not be true from the
programmer's perspective. Consider:

Map m = getMap();

Humans benefit from the redundancy of the type declaration in two ways.
First, the redundant type serves as valuable documentation - readers do
not have to search for the declaration of getMap() to find out what type
it returns.
Second, the redundancy allows the programmer to declare the intended type,
and thereby benefit from a cross check performed by the compiler.

While I personally find the use of let attractive, the drawbacks above
are enough to reject it. Add the "un-java-like" feel of this and the
complications of adding a keyword, and it's clearly a non-starter.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
i don't get the point of all these posts. ruby is terrible because it's a p-lang and all p-langs are terrible. it may be that ruby programmers are more inclined to use lovely techniques like monkey-patching and pointless DSL-building, but there's really nothing about ruby-the-language that encourages or permits this behavior any MORE than python or even javascript does. people who go on about the distinctions between p-langs are either the sort who think syntax is the hardest part of learning a new language, or they're partisans of a particular p-lang (these frequently occur together)

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

hepatizon posted:

if you mean presenting the inferred type to the reader, there are trivial solutions like mouse-hover tooltips and IDE display modes. too bad java implementers didn't realize this

java can't really do this because of subtyping. consider the example you quoted:

Map m = getMap();

suppose getMap returns a java.lang.HashMap. then if i write simply "let m = getMap()", what do i mean? it could be:

HashMap m = getMap();
Map m = getMap();
Collection m = getMap();
Object m = getMap();

how is java supposed to know?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

these things are related. it's a chicken/egg problem. folks like hepatizon are why we have useless type systems and bad package systems

yeah i know im just being snarky

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

JewKiller 3000 posted:

java can't really do this because of subtyping. consider the example you quoted:

Map m = getMap();

suppose getMap returns a java.lang.HashMap. then if i write simply "let m = getMap()", what do i mean? it could be:

HashMap m = getMap();
Map m = getMap();
Collection m = getMap();
Object m = getMap();

the inferred type of 'm' is the specific return type of the rvalue. if the rvalue is a conditional statement, the inferred type is the union of all possible return types from the branches

are there other reasons to declare an interface/superclass as a variable's type? i can't remember

hepatizon fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Oct 12, 2014

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

JewKiller 3000 posted:

i don't get the point of all these posts. ruby is terrible because it's a p-lang and all p-langs are terrible. it may be that ruby programmers are more inclined to use lovely techniques like monkey-patching and pointless DSL-building, but there's really nothing about ruby-the-language that encourages or permits this behavior any MORE than python or even javascript does. people who go on about the distinctions between p-langs are either the sort who think syntax is the hardest part of learning a new language, or they're partisans of a particular p-lang (these frequently occur together)

isn't there though? in python you can import a library and there's no chance it could have overwritten the base integer type. it sounds like that's possible in ruby and one of the things tef is complaining about?

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

JewKiller 3000 posted:

Map m = getMap();

HashMap m = getMap();
Map m = getMap();
Collection m = getMap();
Object m = getMap();

c# has exactly this feature, it wouldn't be technically impossible for java

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

hepatizon posted:

the inferred type of 'm' is the specific return type of the rvalue. if the rvalue is a conditional statement, the inferred type is the union of all possible return types from the branches

are there other reasons to declare an interface/superclass as a variable's type? i can't remember

yeah what you say makes sense, i'm not sure how to argue, basically i'm just going off the theorem that type inference is undecidable in the presence of subtyping (i.e. for system f-sub). unfortunately i am not smart enough to understand the intuition behind the proof, or why it might not apply in this case :shobon:

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

JewKiller 3000 posted:

but there's really nothing about ruby-the-language that encourages or permits this behavior any MORE than python or even javascript does

lol no

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

JewKiller 3000 posted:

Map m = getMap();

HashMap m = getMap();
Map m = getMap();
Collection m = getMap();
Object m = getMap();

in C# it would infer that m's type is whatever getMap()'s type signature says it returns. so if getMap() says it returns a Map, 'm' will have the type Map

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

fart simpson posted:

isn't there though? in python you can import a library and there's no chance it could have overwritten the base integer type. it sounds like that's possible in ruby and one of the things tef is complaining about?

if you put a top level def you are adding a new method to object :q:

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

in C# it would infer that m's type is whatever getMap()'s type signature says it returns. so if getMap() says it returns a Map, 'm' will have the type Map

ah ok so it requires that you annotate the types of your functions. that works

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

JewKiller 3000 posted:

ah ok so it requires that you annotate the types of your functions. that works

why couldn't it also infer the return types of your functions?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
in C# it's just a readability measure. often the type is obvious and typing a long type signature adds nothing to readability:
code:
cx.goatse.nofucksgiven.Foo foo = cx.goatse.nofucksgiven.FooFactoryStatic.createFoo()
vs
code:
var foo = cx.goatse.nofucksgiven.FooFactoryStatic.createFoo()
scala goes a lot further and does as much type inference as humanly possible inside the limits set by java compatibility. for example, scala infer the return types of functions

for reasons i do not understand well enough to explain, the scala compiler can't do global type inference. e.g. it can't infer the types of arguments to functions

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

JewKiller 3000 posted:

yeah what you say makes sense, i'm not sure how to argue, basically i'm just going off the theorem that type inference is undecidable in the presence of subtyping (i.e. for system f-sub). unfortunately i am not smart enough to understand the intuition behind the proof, or why it might not apply in this case :shobon:

yeah i don't have the theoretical background to understand much of this. it seems like the undecidability might arise from stuff like "impredicative polymorphism"? not sure if that would apply to anything in java

intuitively, i'm pretty sure that if your language's core functions (the ones implemented in a lower-level language) have explicit type annotations, any program written in your language can have its types 100% inferred, without type declarations in variable assignments, function signatures, or anywhere else

fart simpson posted:

yup. the return type could even vary depending on the (also inferred) types of the arguments, and you can still statically infer all types in the context of a particular call

hepatizon fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 12, 2014

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

hepatizon posted:

intuitively, i'm pretty sure that if your language's core functions (the ones implemented in a lower-level language) have explicit type annotations, any program written in your language can have its types 100% inferred, without type declarations in variable assignments, function signatures, or anywhere else

subtyping and overloading make global type inference impossible. i am not smart enough to explain it.

google "hindley-milner" for the deets i guess

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
this is supposed to be the simplest walkthrough of hindley-milner inference and its consequences and fuckin' A is it over my head

http://akgupta.ca/blog/2013/05/14/so-you-still-dont-understand-hindley-milner/

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

fart simpson posted:

because if you try to extend the hindley-milner type inference algorithm based on unification to solve a set of subtyping inequality constraints then you get an instance of the semi-unification problem which is generally undecidable.

no i don't know what that means. but searches for those terms should bring up some papers written by people who do :)

hepatizon posted:

yes, this is basically how core ML works. but there is no subtyping in core ML

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

JewKiller 3000 posted:

because if you try to extend the hindley-milner type inference algorithm based on unification to solve a set of subtyping inequality constraints then you get an instance of the semi-unification problem which is generally undecidable.

you can still infer return types w/ local type inference (scala does it, c# and java could do it)

you can't infer the types of the arguments

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
gently caress hm let's use success typing :v:

also i found it easier to understand HM through CHR and other constraint systems

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

JewKiller 3000 posted:

ok, that was obvious. dumb question

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you can still infer return types w/ local type inference (scala does it, c# and java could do it)

yeah there are various restrictions you can impose to make the problem decidable and i guess that is one of them. i just avoid subtyping, worksforme ;)

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Is Julia a plang?

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

subtyping and overloading make global type inference impossible. i am not smart enough to explain it.

google "hindley-milner" for the deets i guess

overloading on parameter type definitely goes out the window if your parameter types are undeclared. i don't think sacrificing those is a big problem -- those can be moved to pattern-matching inside the method (obviously out of the question for java BC, though). overloading on number of params seems like it'd still work

i definitely don't understand the subtyping thing. it's frustratingly hard to read about.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this is supposed to be the simplest walkthrough of hindley-milner inference and its consequences and fuckin' A is it over my head

http://akgupta.ca/blog/2013/05/14/so-you-still-dont-understand-hindley-milner/

heh yeah, was already banging my head against it

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you can infer parameter types in a particular call context, where the arguments are just expressions with known (inferred) types. then you can infer the return type of the function with those specific parameter types. this leads a weird situation: function defs can have arbitrary semantics, but they become specific and concrete in the context of a call

http://dynamicsofprogramming.blogspot.com/2013/12/duck-typing-vs-structural-typing.html

hepatizon fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 12, 2014

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

tef posted:

ruby: it is not a p lang it is worse than a p lang

a pee lang
p++

hepatizon posted:

keep the nickel and buy yourself an opinion you can back up

you have high blood pressure and a disinterest in reasoned discussion

lol jfc

is there a correlation between lack of self awareness and ruby use

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Deacon of Delicious posted:

lol jfc

is there a correlation between lack of self awareness and ruby use

when i make frothing personal accusations, it's always in self-defense

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

hepatizon posted:

frothing personal accusations

ok, so that's 1 for "yes"

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

fart simpson posted:

i post on this small programming mailing list and we collaborate on small projects together sometimes and there's this one guy that is always trying to convince people to rewrite as much as possible in shell scripts and makefiles. i don't get it. we have people using mac, linux, and windows

It's using Makefiles on Windows that is pretty brain dead, I'm not sure if I would categorize it worse than oodles of batch scripts though. Some people really love to make really obnoxiously awful build systems, I guess it's Dunning Kruger or job safety mentality, I just see it as mental.

I guess WiX is actually usable via Make these days, for packaging apps, but CPack with CMake can be incredibly convenient.

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Deacon of Delicious posted:

ok, so that's 1 for "yes"

hey person, say something funny or even interesting

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

let's read this blog post about type inference, see what it says. hmm:

Lend itself to a simple, terse symbolic representation, e.g. rather than saying “the expression formed by applying the first expression to the second expression has the type of a function from strings to some type we don’t care to specify in the current context” we could simply say “e1(e2) : String → t”.

:nallears:

Suppose I’ve already been able to infer that a variable duck has type Animal.
Suppose furthermore that I’ve inferred that speak is a method of type Animal -> String.
Then I can infer that speak(duck) has type String.

And any reasoning of this form is valid type inference.

We’ll formalize that as follows:

Γ ⊢ e0 : τ → τ′   Γ ⊢ e1 : τ
————————————————————————————
      Γ ⊢ e0(e1) : τ′

:crossarms:

:livintrope:

are you loving kidding me?!

this... this is why you needed a blog post titled So You Still Don't Understand Hindley-Milner? Part 1, 2, 3 in the first place

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Max Facetime posted:

are you loving kidding me?!

did you read the part where he explains what each bit of thatt notation means.

using this guy right here

Gamma is the set of things known to be true. this might be 1 is an Int, or that ID goes from any type to any type, or that the variable x happens to be a String.

the sideways T is really just set membership. its say that we have whats on the right in the left.

i assume you're good with the type annotations.

the horizontal line can be thought of as a proof arrow. if everything on top is known to be true, then whats below is also true.

so putting it all together, its saying if you know a particular expression is type X to Y, and another expression of type X, then when you apply the first expression to the second (like calling a function), then that expression has to have type Y. the phrasing is probably more like "Gamma must also contain this statement" but thats more how its thought of as an algorithm.

FamDav fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Oct 12, 2014

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

FamDav posted:

did you read the part where he explains what each bit of thatt notation means.

using this guy right here

Gamma is the set of things known to be true. this might be 1 is an Int, or that ID goes from any type to any type, or that the variable x happens to be a String.

the sideways T is really just set membership. its say that we have whats on the right in the left.

i assume you're good with the type annotations.

the horizontal line can be thought of as a proof arrow. if everything on top is known to be true, then whats below is also true.

so putting it all together, its saying if you know a particular expression is type X to Y, and another expression of type X, then when you apply the first expression to the second (like calling a function), then that expression has to have type Y. the phrasing is probably more like "Gamma must also contain this statement" but thats more how its thought of as an algorithm.

all plt papers by law must have a page that's nothing but deduction hieroglyphics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

yes it's naming all those symbols using small words and going by the comments the formulations are probably almost correctly written tooo

... but the underlying problem with

is lovely syntax and the solution to that is not more of :shrek: