Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
Why do they apparently have Orlando Bloom playing two characters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

The MSJ posted:

I want to live in the world where Nic Cage is Neo.

Meanwhile, the cast of The Hobbit Part 3 continues to be all up in your faces.

Scrolling down, it took me until the soul patch to realize this wasn't the dwarf leader guy.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.

Carny / Movie posters?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

schwenz posted:

Carny / Movie posters?

Ghanaian travelling cinema or something like that, IIRC.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

rawillkill posted:

In order:

Boston, Chicago, Dallas, DC, LA, NY, San Diego, Seattle, San Francisco, Toronto

Ah. I got CN Tower confused with the Space Needle, so I thought Seattle got represented twice.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Mondo poster for Four Lions. I quite like this!

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

The MSJ posted:

I want to live in the world where Nic Cage is Neo.

Meanwhile, the cast of The Hobbit Part 3 continues to be all up in your faces.

At least The Hobbit gives poor Luke Evans a chance of possibly being in one good movie this year.

ShufflerZero
Mar 21, 2009

61: It's coming outta the screen!

This is supposed to be a painting of Clint Howard (looks more like Powers Boothe to me)

Stay Tuned, of course sometimes you get sucked in to the TV

ED TV, the star and director of this movie both have an Oscar now

Not posters but Japan came up with some interesting ways to promote the Sadako 3D films (sequels to the Ringu series)

and finally the Poltergeist poster demonstrates the best way to stop people coming out of your TV is to prop a tiny blonde poppet against the screen

ShufflerZero fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Oct 12, 2014

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Tomero_the_Great posted:

Scrolling down, it took me until the soul patch to realize this wasn't the dwarf leader guy.

No, that this one.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Is there any reason in the books why some dwarfs look just like shorter people, and some look like they crawled out of Chernobyl? Or is that just a choice for the movies, i.e. making the more important dwarfs less ugly?

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Bogmonster posted:

Mondo poster for Four Lions. I quite like this!
It's bad.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The calligraphy of the title is beautiful.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

No, it's bad.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

"fbur libns"

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Yeah, that's what it'd say if you were incapable of pattern recognition or understanding the concept of context.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

oh no, I read it fine the first time I saw it. It still sucks.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Horizontally-oriented heraldric cats are leopards, gently caress that poster, 0/10.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Also, are you really allowed to have a tunnel snakes gang tag if you registered in 2012?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Why not

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
I'm going to start probating people for auto-making GBS threads on Mondo posters without giving reasons, even "ironically."

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

corn in the bible posted:

Horizontally-oriented heraldric cats are leopards, gently caress that poster, 0/10.

To be fair, it's a play on the "three lions" of the English football team's crest.

(I still think the faux-Arabic script is just as bullshit as fake-Chinese characters made vaguely into English letters, but the actual design of the poster isn't terrible otherwise.)

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Vargo posted:

I'm going to start probating people for auto-making GBS threads on Mondo posters without giving reasons, even "ironically."

Thankyou

Allen Wren posted:

To be fair, it's a play on the "three lions" of the English football team's crest.

(I still think the faux-Arabic script is just as bullshit as fake-Chinese characters made vaguely into English letters, but the actual design of the poster isn't terrible otherwise.)

See I don't have a problem with the text, I think that cyrillic alphabet fonts get overused but this is so artfully done that I like it.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Oct 12, 2014

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Is there any reason in the books why some dwarfs look just like shorter people, and some look like they crawled out of Chernobyl? Or is that just a choice for the movies, i.e. making the more important dwarfs less ugly?

The movie have multiple dwarves tagging along with the main character, so they want to make each one look unique. It's no surprise though, that the important charismatic leader and the guy with the romance subplot (and his brother) gets to be the most human-standard handsome.

ubergnu
Jun 7, 2002

Failed gothic

How to tell when you have been reading too much of the Political Cartoon thread: First thought - "Oh for...are they still going on about that Obama bans sport fishing thing?".

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

ShufflerZero posted:

61: It's coming outta the screen!

I feel like Last Action Hero deserves at least an honourable mention here.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

That poster was made to be a video game cover. And in fact, I owned the Game Boy game of it as a kid but I've still never seen the movie. The game was hard as gently caress, though. I never even got close to beating it, IIRC.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

That poster was made to be a video game cover. And in fact, I owned the Game Boy game of it as a kid but I've still never seen the movie. The game was hard as gently caress, though. I never even got close to beating it, IIRC.

I think I finished the first level once, because I always kept running out of time. Me and my brother owned 50+ GB games and that was by far the worst one, even in comparison to other lovely licensed games.

I never thought the movie was all that bad, but I guess that's because I was part of the target audience at the time.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Oct 12, 2014

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

The MSJ posted:

The movie have multiple dwarves tagging along with the main character, so they want to make each one look unique. It's no surprise though, that the important charismatic leader and the guy with the romance subplot (and his brother) gets to be the most human-standard handsome.

I always thought it was weird that the dwarves are 50% small hunks and 50% goblin-creatures. All other races in PJ's Middle Earth have a pretty consistent look to them.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

ozza posted:

I always thought it was weird that the dwarves are 50% small hunks and 50% goblin-creatures. All other races in PJ's Middle Earth have a pretty consistent look to them.

That, and they got incredibly lazy with dwarf height in the Hobbit movies (along with a lot of other stuff they took the easier route on). While not perfect, at least LoTR played with trick shots, blue screen, and forced perspective to try and keep the various characters height in check. In the Hobbit, they were basically "Okay.... uhhh, maybe just hunch down a little when your around humans. You can't do that? Yeah, whatever, I guess we'll have scenes where some dwarves are taller than humans. Fine, whatever, I'm skinny now, give me my paycheck."

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tomero_the_Great posted:

Oh wow, it took until you said that for me.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Where's my gritty Bombur poster?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Vanderdeath posted:

At least The Hobbit gives poor Luke Evans a chance of possibly being in one good movie this year.

No it doesn't.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Allen Wren posted:

Those are also leopards, 0/10 English football

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Allen Wren posted:

It's calligraphy.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I didn't realise this was getting a sequel.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The Angel of Death part feels really extraneous. Was it really not enough to know she is vengeful as hell and ominously wears black?

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Vargo posted:

Okay, fine. It's ugly. It chose to just work from the title instead of working with the actual contents of the movie. The poster tells you nothing about the movie - like 'whoever made this hasn't actually seen the movie' types of nothing. It's uninspired. There's actually a lot of imagery in the movie which could have been used instead - the costumes during the race, rubber dinghy rapids, the puffin site, the bomb-crow (which they actually did use for the official poster) and the other wacky plots, and so on. Or maybe they could've taken terrorist imagery as a starting point - there's a scene where Waj is recording one of those 'we blew this up here are our reasons for doing so' videos but he has a comically small AK-47 replica in his hands. Maybe do something with those playing cards with terrorist-faces on them the Americans used? Or riff on the media coverage. Or why not the 'here are four normal guys just doing normal guy stuff - but they're also terrorists!' angle? Basically, there are a lot of possibilities here to make this an interesting - and maybe even funny - poster and they missed them all for this lazy piece of poo poo. I don't even mind the calligraphy because as a Mondo poster, it doesn't need to draw instant attention to the title. It's just that everything else about it is bad.

So I repeat: It's bad.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

R. Mute posted:

So I repeat: It's bad.

All of this pretty much boils down to "it's a bad promotional piece". But no matter what you think about Mondo, most of their stuff, like that one, is artwork made for existing fans of movies, not advertising media to promote those movies. They're not trying to sell the movie, they try to sell the poster itself.

I personally find that one aesthetically quite pleasing, and if I somehow felt the need to express my love for Four Lions on my wall, I'd put up that rather one than the offical poster.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

westborn posted:

I personally find that one aesthetically quite pleasing, and if I somehow felt the need to express my love for Four Lions on my wall, I'd put up that rather one than the offical poster.

See now one of the things that just does the Mondo down in my mind is that I love the original poster and in the future it'll no doubt be considered iconic, whereas the best I could say about the Mondo poster is that it's above average in the realm of minimalist posters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The original Four Lions poster is very much in Chris Morris' sensibility: animals doing things on behalf of humans and quotes taken absurdly out of context.