Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

MonsieurChoc posted:

I really liked Desperate Struggle, the music that plays when you fight a hunt Boss.

It's got a very FFX vibe to it, which makes sense given Nakano used the exact same instruments as the FFX boss theme for both (or the more dire remaster version, if you prefer).

Varance fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Oct 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Varance posted:

It's got a very FFX vibe to it, which makes sense given Nakano used the exact same instruments as the FFX boss theme for both.

Which si weird, because the only song I remember liking from FFX was Auron's theme.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

oblomov posted:

Actually there is a working Cell emulator, called RPCS3.

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/rpcs3-is-a-new-ps3-emulator-still-in-early-stage-boots-commercial-game/
https://github.com/DHrpcs3/rpcs3

There is a thread on neogaf talking about the subject. Devs are booting up some games and actually are able to play a bit as well. So we will see it this decade, IMO. Now, that's just a cool aside and yeah, not happening any time soon.

3D games are still a loving long shot with that thing lmao

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
And then there's FFXIII-2's Paradigm Shift, which wouldn't be out of place in FFXI. There's quite a few tracks from the ToAU soundtrack that are similar in feel to that one.

Same could be said for most of Mizuta's battle themes, like Saviour of Souls from LR.

Varance fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Oct 12, 2014

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The current PC port of 7 is fine except the midi music and you know basically nothing about PC gaming or emulation if you think we'll be emulating the last gen console anytime soon.

Haha. Ok.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated
So I finally got through Ch. 3 (most time taken by tooling around with graphics mods/options) and you know, combat is not that bad. It actually flows fairly quickly and on Normal I am switching around paradigms and occasionally inputting manual commands. It's all very MMO like.

Edit: It's a shame that there is a lack of armor/costumes/etc.. I am guessing FFXIII-2 resolves at least the costume lack.

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.
FFXIII has it's moments. I'm towards the end of chapter 11 and just porting around right now doing missions before I progress. Chapter 11 just opens the game up a lot.

All I can say is this, if you are having a good time at Chapter 3 you will love the game then when it hits chapter 11. I found chapters 9 and 10 to be tedious but I stuck with it. I am glad the port works fine it seems.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Terper posted:

:mad: You think it's stupid to fight?
:) It is if you get killed.
:mad: :stare:
:) Anyway, just lay low. Let the dummies duke it out. The army's no match for NORA, right?
:mad: :catstare:

I just got to this part, and I really want Hope to die. There's PTSD and there's just being a creepy freak.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I actually sort of enjoyed FFXIII but it really has few stand out moments. When I try to remember anything about FFXIII, it's mostly the scenes where Snow gets hit in the face, Vanille's funny walking animation and Fang riding side-saddle. And the pretty badass cutscene when the crew arrives in Pulse. I needed more... personality I guess? The scene where Sazh "kills" himself was pretty well done, I thought. Too bad he was yeehawing while riding a transformer 5 seconds earlier, and that they didn't have the guts to have him actually DO it. I liked the character but both those things really chepened the scene.

Terper posted:

:mad: You think it's stupid to fight?
:) It is if you get killed.
:mad: :stare:
:) Anyway, just lay low. Let the dummies duke it out. The army's no match for NORA, right?
:mad: :catstare:

I searched for this scene on YT and found mostly Hope x Snow slash music videos. WTF.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Oct 12, 2014

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Renoistic posted:

I searched for this scene on YT and found mostly Hope x Snow slash music videos. WTF.

That's what you want, though.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I don't know if its been posted about in this thread before but if it hasn't, everyone should go read ffvii_blazed.

You can thank me later.

Incredible. :golfclap: I'd never have found this otherwise, thank you.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Renoistic posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXpJJzbfIwY&t=427s

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Jesus christ, just had the most intense versus game in Curtain Call. We played Vermillion Fire on Expert, and the other guy (who was like 1500 rating above me) ended with all criticals except for one single Great note. However for the first time ever in multiplayer I actually got an All Critical and beat him 9999999 - 9987000 or somesuch.

That one Great was the only difference between us. It's literally impossible for a game to be closer than that.

Had to stop playing after because my hands were trembling a bit. Such a fun game still.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Cheers!

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The current PC port of 7 is fine except the midi music and you know basically nothing about PC gaming or emulation if you think we'll be emulating the last gen console anytime soon.

They actually patched in the proper music a while ago so the PC port is now unquestionably the best version of FFVII.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Yeah the PC port kinds owns.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Amppelix posted:

They actually patched in the proper music a while ago so the PC port is now unquestionably the best version of FFVII.

Unless you emulate the PSX version which gives you a fast forward button and save states, heheheh.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I really liked Desperate Struggle, the music that plays when you fight a hunt Boss.

Along with the one you linked another favorite of mine is the...well... menu intro music. I love how chill it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MkjYDQoAZ8

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Doflamingo posted:

Unless you emulate the PSX version which gives you a fast forward button and save states, heheheh.

This is in fact unquestionably the best version of FFVII tia. Translation is godlike, unblockable setup from the overhead.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Endorph posted:

The only one I can think of that makes drastic changes is FFX-2. And, uh, Tales of Symphonia 2, I guess?

The differences between X and X-2 become a lot more explainable when you realize that Square originally wanted for X to be more like XII in gameplay.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Amppelix posted:

Ah really? I had modded in the PSX soundtrack forever ago so I didn't notice. Yeah,no, that's the way to go. Too bad the FF8 version looks terrible. Or maybe FF8 always looked terrible and I didn't notice?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ah really? I had modded in the PSX soundtrack forever ago so I didn't notice. Yeah,no, that's the way to go. Too bad the FF8 version looks terrible. Or maybe FF8 always looked terrible and I didn't notice?

It's the latter. FF8 was their sole attempt at 'realistic' graphics in a FF game on the PSX and it shows exactly why they shouldn't have done that. They kinda got better with practice but it still aged like poo poo.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

It's the latter. FF8 was their sole attempt at 'realistic' graphics in a FF game on the PSX and it shows exactly why they shouldn't have done that. They kinda got better with practice but it still aged like poo poo.

To be fair, VII didn't age terribly well either, and that wasn't realistic.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I like the goofy character models in VII, doesn't work well for some of the more serious scenes but overall I don't mind them. They haven't aged gracefully but I find the janky models charming in a way.

The backgrounds aged really well though, they still look pretty cool even today.

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007

morallyobjected posted:

To be fair, VII didn't age terribly well either, and that wasn't realistic.

VII at least had memorable locations whereas aside from the Garden I can't think of one location in VIII that I remember at all. Maybe the castle at the end?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't care for VIII, but it more memorable locations than FFVII overall I feel. Like I remember Fisherman's Landing, The Gardens and even Zell's lovely little hometown better than something like... Kalm (Which I had totally forgotten existed until I played Dirge of Cerberus recently), that snow village, and the town Zack is from.

Midgar and Gold Saucer are radical though, I will say.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

seizure later posted:

VII at least had memorable locations whereas aside from the Garden I can't think of one location in VIII that I remember at all. Maybe the castle at the end?

Really? Ifrit's Fire Cavern, Timber, the salt lake, Esthar... A lot of that game stuck with me, and I've played it once as a teen.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I remember FF areas based on music usually

Gold Saucer is fused into my brain

Grope-A-Matic
Nov 16, 2008

sigh... you really suck at hand
to hand combat i wont lie and
this is way more challenging
then i thought it would be. to
teach you hand to hand combat,
alright i will try to teach you
some more hand to hand combat
Is anyone else playing Terra Battle? At first blush, it seems pretty cool. I'm not exactly well-versed in tactical RPGs, but it seems like a fun little time waster. The forced-waiting mechanic doesn't seem overly crappy right now, but I'm sure the further you go in, the more onerous it becomes.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Localization difference that no one cares about: Scene where Hope goes home

-Holy poo poo, Hope's English VA is so bad. I checked up on the same cutscene and I didn't know he was basically :geno:

-Lot more use of Lightning's short name, when it's Lightning and more formal in the english.

-Hope's dad does this weird growl thing that's like...really silly, I guess that's to convey anger? Japanese straight up calls Hope an idiot for leaving but in a caring way, also no weird noise thing.

-Fang's bit less sarcastic and more determined. Then again, everyone in english is far more sarcastic and trying to throw in quips.

-I think the thing that's off is that the English inflections don't seem to actually reflect what's happening on the screen. You got the PSICOPs raiding the home, and J.Hope is panicking and frantically trying to help Snow with concern, while A.Hope is "Hey Snow. Protect my dad, or whatever."

edit:

-I think Hope's genetics give bad VA because his dad's not doing better as it goes on, and we all know about Nora.

-Why is everyone yelling during Snow's Big Speech? They're not yelling in the original. Rosch also sounds more conflicted than the English about killing his own people to protect Cocoon.

-A.Rosch gives out a whimpering "No...." when he's shot, while J.Rosch goes "BASTAAAAARD!" I don't know what's with the complete change in tone.

Tae fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Oct 12, 2014

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Grope-A-Matic posted:

Is anyone else playing Terra Battle? At first blush, it seems pretty cool. I'm not exactly well-versed in tactical RPGs, but it seems like a fun little time waster. The forced-waiting mechanic doesn't seem overly crappy right now, but I'm sure the further you go in, the more onerous it becomes.

I sort of like it so far. Does feel quite grindy though - like each character can switch jobs after you farm a very large amount of materials and then they start at level 1 again, and experience gain is slooooow especially for the stronger guys

Music is way too good for a f2p ios game it's weird

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
The only FF games I remember most of the locations of are 9 and 10. I don't really know why they stuck with me more than others, but they did

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I remember a lot of locations but usually by what happened in them.

Like Icicle Inn is memorable because you dodge Elena's slap like an rear end in a top hat and then do some snowboard.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

fronz posted:

The only FF games I remember most of the locations of are 9 and 10. I don't really know why they stuck with me more than others, but they did

That's no big mystery, 9 and 10 just happen to have extremely fantastic visual designs.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Beef Waifu posted:

I don't care for VIII, but it more memorable locations than FFVII overall I feel. Like I remember Fisherman's Landing, The Gardens and even Zell's lovely little hometown better than something like... Kalm (Which I had totally forgotten existed until I played Dirge of Cerberus recently), that snow village, and the town Zack is from.

Midgar and Gold Saucer are radical though, I will say.

Cosmo Canyon?

Admittedly, VII's visual design for towns isn't that great. It's mostly the music that makes them. It's completely the opposite for VIII, oddly.

And I'll always remember Mideal because it's where you find Cloud as a vegetable. And one of the great, underrated songs of VII plays.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnBjZOPpGso

That song is so good. Finding Cloud like that is one of the great wham moments of FFVII.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I feel bad that I forgot Cosmo Canyon because I actually really liked the music of it and the style of the area in general.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Everyone likes the Cosmo Canyon music.

The place is pretty cool, too.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Still liking FFXIII but it has now crashed 2 times in the cutscene after beating Odin. What a pain in the rear end.

Edit: Now a 3rd time during the Odin battle.

Ragequit fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Oct 13, 2014

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Ragequit posted:

Still liking FFXIII but it has now crashed 2 times in the cutscene after beating Odin. What a pain in the rear end.

He's trying to protect you:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Ragequit posted:

Boy, this brings me back to when the FF7 PC port would always crash after the super-loving-long cutscene at the Northern Crater when the Weapons awaken. And rather than figuring out a fix, they just offered a save game for after that point. Good times.