Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Let's see, we've got Chris Hardwick, Janet Varney, and Maria Bamford. We're one person short of an all Korra episode of @Midnight.

Has PJ Byrne been on @midnight? He'd totally win the internet. At NYCC (here's the panel on YouTube) Bryke mentioned they love his improvising but they have to curb his enthusiasm because he just gives too much for the running time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Now that Toph is back, I hope the Beifongs finally sit down and Lin stops being a crybaby.

Democratic Pirate posted:

I want someone to ask Varrick why he's going along with a clearly evil scheme and his reply is a nonchalant "because I'm a terrible person!"

So you're saying he's a goon.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

Jorghnassen posted:

Has PJ Byrne been on @midnight? He'd totally win the internet. At NYCC (here's the panel on YouTube) Bryke mentioned they love his improvising but they have to curb his enthusiasm because he just gives too much for the running time.

That would be awesome. Nick had a series featuring the main actors in the recording booth and his was basically all riffing. Apparently he came up with the "Mustache Guy!" and the "Car!..Oh, we're good" lines in the first season.

I'd also love to see John Michael Higgins on a Korra-themed episode if he hasn't been on the show already.

Charlz Guybon posted:

It'll end with a Meiji style fascist revolution that establishes Korra as God Empress of the World. :kheldragar:

She wasn't already? ;)

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Carlton Banks Teller posted:

Re. Kuvira, orchestrating bandit raids aside, I think her major 'villain' reveal will be when she starts re-taking Republic City territory (which may also rile up some unfortunate spirits). Like others have hinted at though, I wonder how much Suyin's son is involved in that plot, if/when it comes to pass.

Yes please.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013
Watching some of that NYCC panel what really jumped out at me was how much Kuvira's body and design was based on Korra's. She really was meant to be very similar to Korra which is pretty cool. Also Baatar Jr. was described as a "wet noodle" which is pretty accurate--don't see the appeal for Kuvira, really, unless it's someone she can dominate with connections.

The most fun character to watch though so far has been Kuzco Wu. He likely won't ever take the throne but the Earth Kingdom will never have been as fabulous as it would have been under his rule.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I'll go out on a limb and say that, given the creators' track record, Wu being put on the throne after a brief reign of terror by Kuvira will probably be touted as a good thing. Down with Napoleon, long live Louis XVIII! :france:

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

uncleKitchener posted:

Now that Toph is back, I hope the Beifongs finally sit down and Lin stops being a crybaby.

I take it you missed the entire episode last season where she got over her family issues by realizing she has a family after all?

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

DrSunshine posted:

I'll go out on a limb and say that, given the creators' track record, Wu being put on the throne after a brief reign of terror by Kuvira will probably be touted as a good thing. Down with Napoleon, long live Louis XVIII! :france:

Maybe Wu will face some dangers and threats and get perspective on what life is really like when you're not a spoiled prince? I could see that happening since they have gone to such great lengths to show just how out-of-touch and spoiled he is. Although they haven't portrayed him as sympathetic in the slightest which they usually do for characters with a redemptive arc. I'm going to say he ends up on the throne in the next episode, but Kuvira quickly makes him an irrelevant figurehead. At some point, he protests and she casts him aside and has him locked away, since she seems to be more popular than he is anyway. Korra frees him during the last 2 episodes when she takes on Kuvira and either he's learned a lot in jail and becomes a good ruler or basically says, "Screw this I don't want to rule, I support a democracy. I'm going to the spa."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I feel like Wu is probably there to be Mako's arc for the season.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

ImpAtom posted:

There's going to be an eventual "Wu and Mako get stranded in the slums and Wu learns a lesson blah blah blah" episode, I just know it.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

Kazy posted:

There's going to be an eventual "Wu and Mako get stranded in the slums and Wu learns a lesson blah blah blah" episode, I just know it.

Mako will get a round of applause when they emerge.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

VanSandman posted:

I take it you missed the entire episode last season where she got over her family issues by realizing she has a family after all?

Yeah, but until I haven't seen them chatting with Toph around, I won't be fully convinced.

Kazy posted:

It would be funny if Wu ends up not learning a single thing and remain the unsympathetic noble for the rest of the season.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Wu discovers a long-lost descendant of Bosco and they go off to have life-affirming adventures around the world together.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

DrSunshine posted:

Wu's portrayal I think definitely shows him as being well meaning to a degree. He has shown none of the arrogance that would immediately mark him as "Dickbag". Mako's from the slums and their extended family from Ba Sing Se are poors, and Wu has shown no inclination he cares about that, whereas a more unredepemptive character would certainly have shown some sort of contempt for Mako's station and how dare he mock him the Once and Future King.

I could see Wu being more like whichever Tsar ruled in 1905 who gave in to giving Russia a Parliament except more so. The Earth Kingdom becoming a Constitutional Monarchy would solve most of its problems.

Which ironically enough ties in to 1911 Xinhua Revolution and the Boxer Rebellion before that and so on. China under the Qing becoming a Constitutional Monarchy early enough might have prevented well, everything.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Raenir Salazar posted:

Wu's portrayal I think definitely shows him as being well meaning to a degree. He has shown none of the arrogance that would immediately mark him as "Dickbag". Mako's from the slums and their extended family from Ba Sing Se are poors, and Wu has shown no inclination he cares about that, whereas a more unredepemptive character would certainly have shown some sort of contempt for Mako's station and how dare he mock him the Once and Future King.

I could see Wu being more like whichever Tsar ruled in 1905 who gave in to giving Russia a Parliament except more so. The Earth Kingdom becoming a Constitutional Monarchy would solve most of its problems.

Which ironically enough ties in to 1911 Xinhua Revolution and the Boxer Rebellion before that and so on. China under the Qing becoming a Constitutional Monarchy early enough might have prevented well, everything.

No.

1. Treating the help like a friend is necessary when you're unable to make friends of your own.

2. Sometimes monarchies have to be...wiped out. The Black hundreds and elements of white Russia would have rallied around the house of Romanov if they got the chance.

3. One of the Chinese warlords actually tried to reinstall the young emperor in order to gain legitimacy. That was a bad call.

Sithsaber fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Oct 13, 2014

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I would have wasted hours of my time arguing on an internet forum but thanks to Red Avatar Text I saved *hours* of my life, and so can you! Just call now and dial 1-800-NOPE.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Raenir Salazar posted:

I would have wasted hours of my time arguing on an internet forum but thanks to Red Avatar Text I saved *hours* of my life, and so can you! Just call now and dial 1-800-NOPE.

Thanks for conceding. I just laugh that I suckered idiots into wasting money on a stupid attempt to spite me.

Ps. Cromwell was right. Long live the Commonwealth.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

uncleKitchener posted:

Yeah, but until I haven't seen them chatting with Toph around, I won't be fully convinced.

It would be funny if Wu ends up not learning a single thing and remain the unsympathetic noble for the rest of the season.

I wouldn't be surprised by that, and I'm not sure why others act like they would be. It's not like the franchise so far has done redemptive arcs with bad rulers: they've always been overthrown or sidestepped. Kuei was the closest thing, but it's not like he was self-absorbed or corrupt so much as literally unaware that his kingdom was in time of crisis, and had been deliberately kept in the dark for his whole life. Wu doesn't have that excuse.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ImpAtom posted:

Seriously do some of you people not watch TV? Yea no poo poo the pampered sissy noble who's explicitly teamed up with the gruff but kind cop is PROBABLY gonna learn not to be such a little bitch at some point.

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Oct 13, 2014

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Raenir Salazar posted:

He was pretty arrogant when he hit on Asami, but his arrogance seems to come from a total lack of self-awareness rather than something more toxic. He's spoiled, but not entitled.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Seriously do some of you people not watch TV? Yea no poo poo the pampered sissy noble who's explicitly teamed up with the gruff but kind cop is PROBABLY gonna learn not to be such a little bitch at some point.

haha Mako is "gruff"

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sithsaber posted:

3. One of the Chinese warlords actually tried to reinstall the young emperor in order to gain legitimacy. That was a bad call.

I know the Japanese did but I don't know about the Warlord era.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

computer parts posted:

I know the Japanese did but I don't know about the Warlord era.

This was before that. (I skimmed wikipedia) Curiously enough the Japanese blew up a few trains whenever their lackeys failed and refused to adopt cultural practices like seppuku.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013
NYCC interview with Bryke where they talk about episode 2 and the rest of the season. If you watch this interview without expecting potential spoilers I question your logical thinking skills:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmlyEVci85s

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Gnome de plume posted:

Wu discovers a long-lost descendant of Bosco and they go off to have life-affirming adventures around the world together.
Wu managed to smuggle Bosco out, his Aunt ate a normal platypus bear instead.

He is the founder of the resistance, him getting crowned is his Juan Carlos long con.

EDIT: Wild speculation, his room in republic city is bugged and the Spa is the only place where he can meet with his co-conspirators.

Rougey fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Oct 14, 2014

Words Of Mice
Apr 30, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Wu really resembles Bolin. Both Wu and Bolin are boisterous, oblivious and unfiltered kind of guys, while Mako is the serious guy reining them in. With Bolin roaming around with Kuvira's army, this would be the first time the brothers are separated for a long duration. If Mako misses Bolin, he would not outwardly show it, but I think Mako gets more from working with Wu then he lets on.

Lady Gagazula
Aug 13, 2005

Can't read my
Can't read my
No he can't read my
Joker Face
Melman

ImpAtom posted:

Not even close.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
God, I can't imagine what a relief it must be to the writers to finally be able to script Korra losing a straight-up fight without first inventing a separate poison gas, arcane curse, sleep deficit or crick in the neck each and every time.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

I feel like Wu has one more episode, max, because I am a killjoy. Maybe two? Look, as long as Mako isn't pursuing Korra or Asami, I'm happy.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

Ferrinus posted:

God, I can't imagine what a relief it must be to the writers to finally be able to script Korra losing a straight-up fight without first inventing a separate poison gas, arcane curse, sleep deficit or crick in the neck each and every time.

She lost a lot of fights in season 1. At this point she shouldn't really lose fights. She's the Avatar. She defeated the spiritual manifestation of chaos and destruction; she should be able to take down some metalbender with a cool outfit.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

dj_clawson posted:

She lost a lot of fights in season 1. At this point she shouldn't really lose fights. She's the Avatar. She defeated the spiritual manifestation of chaos and destruction; she should be able to take down some metalbender with a cool outfit.
Why they might be having herself as the adversary

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Rougey posted:

He is the founder of the resistance, him getting crowned is his Juan Carlos long con.

EDIT: Wild speculation, his room in republic city is bugged and the Spa is the only place where he can meet with his co-conspirators.

In fairness this is actually kinda clever and straight out of ASOIAF.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

dj_clawson posted:

I feel like Wu has one more episode, max, because I am a killjoy. Maybe two? Look, as long as Mako isn't pursuing Korra or Asami, I'm happy.

Why would you say such a horrible thing? :(

I suspect you're correct. He won't exactly fit in with what I suspect will be the tone of the rest of the season. Ah, well, he had a good run. :shobon:

dj_clawson posted:

If she's struggling with PTSD while forced to face the embodiment of who she once was it may be trickier than that.

Rougey posted:

Not gonna lie, if this happens I will be very disappointed. We already have one flamboyantly kooky guy who is secretly a mastermind and as much as I like Wu he can't really compete with Varrick.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Sato posted:

Not gonna lie, if this happens I will be very disappointed. We already have one flamboyantly kooky guy who is secretly a mastermind and as much as I like Wu he can't really compete with Varrick.
Oh I pictured him as more like Mako behind the mask, Varrick for all his cold calculation still retains his kookiness.

Besides, we know Varrick is a genius (abet a mad one) from the start, despite his quirks given he runs a highly successful company and we know he's sitting on a gold mind with his movers.

With Wu, we have nothing to suggest he actually has a brain behind that perm.

He doesn't need to be a genius, just a person who understands they're a pawn and knows they'll live longer if they play the part of the fool.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Like I said before, Wu is a comic relief character. Avatar tends to be kind to its comic relief characters (or, at least, is unkind to them in amusing, inconsequential ways). I don't think we're likely to see a repeat of what happened to his great-aunt here.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Oct 14, 2014

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

DrSunshine posted:

So Wu will get gangrene and goute, be stuck in a wheelchair and die in pain then, freed from his moderate influence, his Ultra-royalist brother and the ultras in both chambers will try to bring back the good old days and there will be another revolution only 6 years after Wu's death? I think you meant Louis Phillipe (but then he would get thrown out by yet another revolution, a republic will be formed and the first elected president would be elected because of her name... Kuvira and that niece of Kuvira, princess-president of the Earth Kingdom, would then later become Empress Kuvira III after a coup). :france:

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

Rougey posted:

Oh I pictured him as more like Mako behind the mask, Varrick for all his cold calculation still retains his kookiness.

Besides, we know Varrick is a genius (abet a mad one) from the start, despite his quirks given he runs a highly successful company and we know he's sitting on a gold mind with his movers.

With Wu, we have nothing to suggest he actually has a brain behind that perm.

He doesn't need to be a genius, just a person who understands they're a pawn and knows they'll live longer if they play the part of the fool.

But how does this fit in at all with what we've been told of the situation? The resistance against Wu's rule in the first place is because he's an idiot attempting to succeed a tyrant and Kuvira is the only one who seems capable enough to rule. Kuvira wouldn't be nearly as sympathetic to her supporters if Wu were as competent as you say. Wouldn't it be in his best interest to seem capable and competent so that interlopers wouldn't get nearly as much ammunition and attempt to abolish the monarchy? The way you have it set up Wu is pretending to be stupid to draw attention away from his resistance against those resisting his rule because...he seems to be stupid. It's a chicken and egg situation.

Besides, I'm inclined to think the whole "waiting until he's old enough to rule" thing was an excuse to give him time to outgrow his idiocy in the first place. The Earth Kingdom and the rest of the Avatar world has been ruled by underage rulers before: Kuei was 4 when he ascended the throne (with a bunch of advisers, basically the same scenario Wu will have as an adult), Sokka was about 13 when he became Chief-in-absentia of the Southern Water Tribe, Zuko was 16/17 and Azula was 14 when they became Fire Lord, etc. I think that if he'd shown even a glimmer of innate ability he would have been allowed to take the throne after the initial Ba Sing Se riots subsided with the protection of the United Forces.

Darth Walrus posted:

Like I said before, Wu is a comic relief character. Avatar tends to be kind to its comic relief characters (or, at least, is unkind to them in amusing, inconsequential ways). I don't think we're likely to see a repeat of what happened to his great-aunt here.

Yeah, I agree. I think he'll have a life-changing adventure or see how the other half lives and that will be the end of it.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Raiko wants Wu to succeed the throne because it's an essential part of Raiko's plan to keep the Earth Kingdom from annexing the United Republic. Since Kuvira, the "Great Uniter," is going around with an army whose name we don't even know yet since she only ever calls it "my army," and extracting oaths of loyalty to that army instead of to the Earth Kingdom, I guess that it won't really matter whether Wu gets to sit on his aunt's fancy chair or not.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

I bet my friend that terrible Mako-Wu spa day fan art already existed. Searched tumblr for about 30 seconds and sure enough:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sato
Apr 28, 2013
I see nothing terrible about a Mako-Wu spa day, fan art included. :colbert:

• Locked thread