Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

simplefish posted:

If there was no hyperbole in this thread then many of the people would be intolerable in real life and that isn't the case

Doesn't preclude there being something at the heart of it (see also: caberham's ameribooism)

That's how I feel about the Empire. It wasn't all bad and sometimes used its power for virtuous ends. Wilberforce and the West Africa Squadron wouldn't have been possible without the mailed fist of the Empire behind them.

I just like to talk nonsense (rot?) because internet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

remember how everyone stockpiled salt after fukushima? lol

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Haha

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

Jeoh posted:

remember how everyone stockpiled salt after fukushima? lol

And everybody got text messages from friends with uncles in Beijing telling them to stay indoors because Chinese windows that can't keep out a stiff breeze are obviously radiation proof and they also stopped eating cabbage because the leaves absorb radiation and then a load of cabbage farmers killed themselves and...

...awww, I made myself sad

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Daduzi posted:

And everybody got text messages from friends with uncles in Beijing telling them to stay indoors because Chinese windows that can't keep out a stiff breeze are obviously radiation proof and they also stopped eating cabbage because the leaves absorb radiation and then a load of cabbage farmers killed themselves and...

Keep going...

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I don't remember that because I was in Japan at the time.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

A lot of my Korean friends still pass around maps online showing most of Japan as uninhabitable radioactive wasteland and I had a couple who wouldn't hang out with me IRL for a couple months after I went there on vacation so there was time for the radiation I absorbed to go away and not endanger them.

Japan is literally Fallout to a good portion of Koreans.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
It was this bad in HK. MAINLANDERS ARE BUYING ALL OUR SALT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRPxxcDPFoA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98ydAahZmHE

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Can anyone tell me how to say "Hirohito was right, he just didn't take it far enough" in Chinese? Thanks,

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Grand Fromage posted:

A lot of my Korean friends still pass around maps online showing most of Japan as uninhabitable radioactive wasteland and I had a couple who wouldn't hang out with me IRL for a couple months after I went there on vacation so there was time for the radiation I absorbed to go away and not endanger them.

Japan is literally Fallout to a good portion of Koreans.

Water Chips prevent fan death. It is known.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

fart simpson posted:

Keep going...

Well there were also the old people who ODed on iodine. I think that's about it.

Mind you, this isn't so much a "lol China" thing because I could imagine similar stupidity happening in most countries.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Has anybody here got any idea if you can get an L visa with just proof of departing flight and hostel booking? I'm taking a train from Hanoi to Beijing and I don't want to pay some agency 50% more than I would pay in person. It makes logical sense that I shouldn't need proof of entry if I have proof that I'm leaving but I guess logic is not the primary factor here.

I'm only gonna be in China for like 6 days.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I know Hanoi's a pretty cheap place to visit, but paying an extra $50 or whatever on this trip for an agent to handle everything sounds worth it IMO.

Cuatal
Apr 17, 2007

:dukedog:
Could you just get another train ticket instead of a flight ticket? Will they accept those?

I'm guessing the answer is probably "no."

Arakan
May 10, 2008

After some persuasion, Fluttershy finally opens up, and Twilight's more than happy to oblige in doing her best performance as a nice, obedient wolf-puppy.

Jeza posted:

Has anybody here got any idea if you can get an L visa with just proof of departing flight and hostel booking?

Yes, that's all you need. It works even if the bookings are fake.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

I printed off my other flights and had to write a little affidavit which was then annotated and signed. Went fairly smoothly.

Arakan posted:

Yes, that's all you need. It works even if the bookings are fake.

Building on this:- so there will be no problem at all if I cancel my booking and do something else? I am actually visiting somebody and am considering staying with them, but I didn't want to apply for an S2 visa because a) I don't want to cause them hassle by making them get photocopies of loads of stuff, and b) because they are something of an agitator and known to the authorities there, and I don't want to get my visa revoked on that account.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

Jeza posted:

Building on this:- so there will be no problem at all if I cancel my booking and do something else? I am actually visiting somebody and am considering staying with them, but I didn't want to apply for an S2 visa because a) I don't want to cause them hassle by making them get photocopies of loads of stuff, and b) because they are something of an agitator and known to the authorities there, and I don't want to get my visa revoked on that account.

Proooobably not. I mean, it shouldn't be a problem but if somebody in your friend's compound was to stick their noses in there could be a knock on the door. Which given b) is a non-0 possibility. Best advice is, most likely it won't be a problem but there is a chance so it's up to you whether you want to risk it.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Just book a cheapass hostel, then later go to the PSB with them to register there. That's what I did in Chengdu and it went alright (no deportations involved).

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Thanks. China thread is good people.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Jeza posted:

Hmm. That's not what I've heard.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Jeza come hang out in the LAN thread it's better

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I am thinking about going to Hong Kong this winter (late december/early january). I've never been anywhere in Asia before. Basically - would it be a good time to go? What's new year like there? We're fairly open-minded travelers and I expect the sensation of being on holiday somewhere other than continental Europe will probably blow our minds.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

fart simpson posted:

Hmm. That's not what I've heard.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Chas McGill posted:

I am thinking about going to Hong Kong this winter (late december/early january). I've never been anywhere in Asia before. Basically - would it be a good time to go? What's new year like there? We're fairly open-minded travelers and I expect the sensation of being on holiday somewhere other than continental Europe will probably blow our minds.

Hong Kong's actually a dangerous place now. The police have lost control of major areas of the city where there's currently rampant and widespread illegal activity. Street violence is expected to become a big problem soon.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Jeza posted:

Huh, funny, never though about it like that before.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

fart simpson posted:

Hong Kong's actually a dangerous place now. The police have lost control of major areas of the city where there's currently rampant and widespread illegal activity. Street violence is expected to become a big problem soon.
drat, I just got caught up on the protests. I had it in my mind that things were still relatively peaceful or at least they'd have calmed down by the end of the year. The unrest doesn't seem to have changed flight/hotel prices too much, though.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Chas McGill posted:

drat, I just got caught up on the protests. I had it in my mind that things were still relatively peaceful or at least they'd have calmed down by the end of the year. The unrest doesn't seem to have changed flight/hotel prices too much, though.

You don't really believe him, do you? fart simpson recently took up Pro-PRC Laowai's role of being a pro-PRC laowai and I guess that includes making GBS threads on Hong Kong protesters. It's very peaceful and actually a pretty cool time to visit. That's why the prices haven't changed much if at all.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

fart simpson posted:

Illegal activity? I thought doing what you wanted constituted a great freedom, death to America. Or does that only work for buying illegal pharmaceuticals and killing goats in the hallway of your apartment building?

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Bloodnose posted:

You don't really believe him, do you? fart simpson recently took up Pro-PRC Laowai's role of being a pro-PRC laowai and I guess that includes making GBS threads on Hong Kong protesters. It's very peaceful and actually a pretty cool time to visit. That's why the prices haven't changed much if at all.

I'm glad to hear that. I just finished compiling the documents that will (hopefully) allow me to study in Hong Kong this Spring.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Old Dirty Cumburgs posted:

I'm glad to hear that. I just finished compiling the documents that will (hopefully) allow me to study in Hong Kong this Spring.

Everyone has too much money invested in Hong Kong to let it go to poo poo, and the protesters and other people involved there are terribly nice. I was there for a funeral recently so I didn't get a chance to go around much, but I can tell you that collaborations among businesses, universities etc. are not at all threatened by what is happening there. It's as raucous as the Spanish protests of a few years back, entirely polite, protestors cleaned up after themselves and a few video makers tried to create the impression it was dangerous when it wasn't.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Bloodnose posted:

I'm actually more concerned about reactionary anti-democracy groups and general unrest than the pro-democracy people. In truth, I'm fairly ignorant of the situation beyond a few half-read Guardian articles.

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Everyone has too much money invested in Hong Kong to let it go to poo poo, and the protesters and other people involved there are terribly nice. I was there for a funeral recently so I didn't get a chance to go around much, but I can tell you that collaborations among businesses, universities etc. are not at all threatened by what is happening there. It's as raucous as the Spanish protests of a few years back, entirely polite, protestors cleaned up after themselves and a few video makers tried to create the impression it was dangerous when it wasn't.
That's good to know.

I'm doing some research on hotels etc now and I'm pretty sure I still want to go. It seems like there's a crazy amount of stuff to do: the perfect city for an urban design dweeb and food tourist.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 13, 2014

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

New Year's in HK is great, most days are t-shirt weather, and winter is the best season for (imported?) seafood. Go to Ocean Park!

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I'm booking it right now! Anyone have experience of the Harbour Grand Hotel?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Just book Bishop Lei, it's not too expensive and greater location than harbour grand. Send me a PM 10 days before you are in town

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

Ceciltron posted:

Oh, absolutely. We're an absolute joke country. Moreso lately.

I teach my students that the national mythology of Canada is essentially "It's a nice place to live". Of course the mythology of China is "other countries have pushed us around for too long, now it's our turn" (little brother syndrome) and America's is "we are better than everyone else and don't have to follow the rules because freedom makes us exceptional".

Cuatal posted:

Could you just get another train ticket instead of a flight ticket? Will they accept those?

I'm guessing the answer is probably "no."

You know, it's entirely possible to edit those flight confirmation emails sent to you by the airline. Flight numbers stay the same from day to day, so you just need to change the dates and resend it to yourself as a new email, then print it out. There's no way for the Chinese embassy to confirm that your ticket is real - airlines are not going to give out that information for security reasons. If you don't have one of those emails around, pm me your email and I'll send you one of my many, many, many flight receipts.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

bad day posted:

You know, it's entirely possible to edit those flight confirmation emails sent to you by the airline. Flight numbers stay the same from day to day, so you just need to change the dates and resend it to yourself as a new email, then print it out. There's no way for the Chinese embassy to confirm that your ticket is real - airlines are not going to give out that information for security reasons. If you don't have one of those emails around, pm me your email and I'll send you one of my many, many, many flight receipts.

Your flight receipts have his name on them?

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Bloodnose posted:

It's very peaceful and actually a pretty cool time to visit. That's why the prices haven't changed much if at all.

how much is an iPhone 6 / 64GB /Space Grey

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

LentThem posted:

how much is an iPhone 6 / 64GB /Space Grey

How much to get you to stop posting?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

caberham posted:

Just book Bishop Lei, it's not too expensive and greater location than harbour grand. Send me a PM 10 days before you are in town
Already booked before I saw this, unfortunately (well, it still seems like a good hotel). Harbour Grand seems to have good access to the public transport so we should find it easy to get into more interesting areas from there. Also ended up booking later in January because it was so much cheaper and I was guilted into spending hogmanay here. I'll definitely give you a PM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

fart simpson posted:

Your flight receipts have his name on them?

Yes, my flight receipts have his name on them. How stupid ARE you? Please explain using metric system.