Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The fuel system is ancient mechanical fuel injection that just basically pisses fuel into the runners with spring-loaded diesel style injectors.

The fuel tank (cell) and hoses etcetera are modern though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow
Five years and $14,000 later and I finally just drove it home.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

What are the things on the right with the four wires going into the top? They look like tiny audio amps but somehow I doubt that :v: Something for the ignition?

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Panty Saluter posted:

What are the things on the right with the four wires going into the top? They look like tiny audio amps but somehow I doubt that :v: Something for the ignition?

Voltage regulators. Gray boxes are relays.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Easy to see the 918's inspiration here.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
It amazes me that that little fan on top could air cool an engine like that sufficiently. It looks like it would generate more heat than the sun.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

And just in case anybody could keep up with *that* motherfucker...

That's such a strange looking plastic to me, I'm wondering if it's some sort of GFRP or bakelite...

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

It amazes me that that little fan on top could air cool an engine like that sufficiently. It looks like it would generate more heat than the sun.

It's driven at fairly high speeds for a fan, and I'm sure they utilized massive oil coolers / a poo poo-ton of engine oil as well (seeing as they did the latter even on plain-jane 911s).

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Raluek posted:

Lowers the coil voltage to around 9V (and surely limits the current too, but IDR what the actual values are) for less energy while running. Typically bypassed while starting. Modern coils don't need one, I don't think; anyway my MSD blaster coil doesn't use one whereas my stock one did. I want to say that it was for preservation of the coil windings so they wouldn't melt under sustained operation? Someone older than me who was actually around then could probably clarify.

Old cars with contacts/points in the dizzy had ballast resistors to make them last longer before pitting/burn out. Lower volts meant less servicing, needing to file or replace them or adjust dwell angle and timing.
So ballast resistors were used to give a lower voltage to contact points to make them last longer.
My old cars were 7V, and as you said, bypassed with a relay on starting. Any ignition system that doesn't use contact points/breakers, just uses straight 12V/14V.
That being said, I don't know if this engine had points in the dizzy, so not sure if that's what the ballast resistors are for.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 12, 2014

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Makes sense that it would be for the sake of the points and not the coil. Things need loving with on a performance car way too much as it is.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
So, are those ballast resistors actually just big inductors? They just look like coils of wire around a cardboard box or something. What am I missing about the construction?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I think it's just a really long thin wire to give it some resistance, but I agree that it will definitely have some inductance. The ones I'm used to seeing look like this:

But that's probably just got a coil of thin wire in there, cast into the block. I guess the other way is just the Superior German way of accomplishing the same thing.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
What's the backstory on that 917? It looks like some guys in a shed just put it together as a fun project. I'd expect stuff like this to happen in the Porsche factory or a very professional racing shop or something.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

That probably -is- a very professional racing shop.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

beedeebee posted:

What's the backstory on that 917? It looks like some guys in a shed just put it together as a fun project. I'd expect stuff like this to happen in the Porsche factory or a very professional racing shop or something.

Vasek Polak (if you don't know, basically the reason you can buy Porsches in the US) bought all the parts decades ago. Carl Thompson, the old dude, worked for him for years (I think, ended up running his porsche dealer) and bought them at some point from Polak or his estate and opened a very high end shop with his name.

nm fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Oct 12, 2014

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

MullardEL34 posted:

Five years and $14,000 later and I finally just drove it home.

Beeeautiful. More pics please!

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
I will always have a soft spot for Corvairs. Is it the turbo version, and do you have pictures of the sorcery that is blow through carbs?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I saw this... thing at a gas station a few days ago. Is this one of those gray market Land Rovers that people were importing to the US?

(click to embiggen)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

freelop posted:

Putting out oil fires with MiG engines strapped to a T-34 :black101:

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

MetaJew posted:

I saw this... thing at a gas station a few days ago. Is this one of those gray market Land Rovers that people were importing to the US?

(click to embiggen)

You could get the short wheelbase Defenders (D-90) in the US into the 90's. Although anything left in any sort of decent shape is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Paulie posted:

You could get the short wheelbase Defenders (D-90) in the US into the 90's. Although anything left in any sort of decent shape is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

You can also import any one that's 25 years old but the government will just assume it's a new one you vin swapped and confiscate it even if it's a busted pile of poo poo.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

MetaJew posted:

(click to embiggen)

That's an NAS (North American Specification) Defender, they're easily identified by that partial exo-cage. They had to have those in order to meet tightening DOT regs, as well as lighting modifications and some other changes for the NA market. They only sold them for a few years, '93 to '97, and they are worth beau-coup money because they didn't sell very many during that time, maybe a couple thousand at most.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Oct 13, 2014

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Well it looked pristine, and didn't have a license plate. And, it was in a pretty wealthy part of town.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Terrible Robot posted:

That's an NAS (North American Specification) Defender, they're easily identified by that partial exo-cage. They had to have those in order to meet tightening DOT regs, as well as lighting modifications and some other changes for the NA market. They only sold them for a few years, '93 to '97, and they are worth beau-coup money because they didn't sell very many during that time, maybe a couple thousand at most.

to add on that, it has later doors and axles as well.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Everything behind that black hole in the front is loving sexy though.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

MetaJew posted:

Well it looked pristine, and didn't have a license plate. And, it was in a pretty wealthy part of town.

It is probably the most expensive car you saw this week.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Saw this thing on the road today, was pretty cool, and RHD to boot!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cursedshitbox posted:

to add on that, it has later doors and axles as well.
If you mean because it has the smaller PCD, that's either adaptors, or a different axle, they never fitted them as standard to a Defender. You're right about the later doors, though.

Not sure what's goign on with the side panels, it looks like it's been boxed out more.

US model or not, it's definitely been modified a bit.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's a turtrucken!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
:golfclap:

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

beedeebee posted:

quote:

Kevin Jeannette, owner of Gunnar Porsche Racing, has a long history of involvement with Porsches. His start came over 35 years ago with a Porsche repair shop in Southern California. By 1977, Kevin was a Porsche racing mechanic, and devoted his full time to the sport, in 1978, forming Gunnar Porsche Racing.

Kevin began his racing career working with teams racing 934s and 935s, and eventually into 962s. He also started, what would turn into, a thriving restoration business, restoring vintage Porsche racing cars, for this new arena, for these retired racing cars. The early years included such teams as Cliff Kearns/Milt Minter in a 934, the Whittington Brothers at the Indianapolis 500 and in a 934, and 935s. Kevin went on to crew the Swap Shop Porsche 935, including the '83 Daytona 24 Hour winning car, with Foyt, Wolleck, Ballot-Lena, and Preston Henn. Kevin even built the engine for this winning car. It was in the early '80's that Andy Jensen started working with Kevin. They had first worked together on the Whittington Brothers Team.

Kevin moved on to Porsche 962s, with Swap Shop Racing, then Shelton Racing, Primus Racing, Bayside Racing, and Busby Racing. All the while, Gunnar Racing was making a name for itself, for restoring the most historic of Porsche's racing cars, including 917s, 908s (both long tail coupes, and short tail spyders), and 910s, all the way back to the earliest RSKs and Speedsters. The first car Kevin and Andy restored, was the 908 LH (long tail coupe) for the Porsche Museum.

Gunnar Racing, lead by Kevin's innovative thought process, built the first open topped prototype to run in the IMSA Camel GTP class, with the 966 Spyder. Gunnar Racing campaigned the car from 1991, until the final demise of the class, in 1993. The car, which wasn't always the fastest, compared with the Nissan and Toyota factory teams, always attracted attention. It also attracted great drivers, such as Derek and Justin Bell, Hurley Haywood, John Paul, Jr., Jay Cochran and David Donahue, and some Hollywood stars, such as Bobby Carradine, and Chad McQueen. This car was the fore runner of the current WSC/LMP cars that are the top class of professional sportscars, racing today.

Gunnar Racing took on a new amount of enthusiasm, in 1999, as Kevin's son Gunnar, who grew up in, and around, the cars his father was preparing, took to the sport, as a driver, at age 17. Since then, Gunnar Racing ran the 2000 Rolex 24, with Gunnar and Paul Newman driving, as well as the 24 Hours of Le Mans, where they finished 6th in the GT class, and Gunnar went into the record books, as the youngest driver ever to complete the race, at 18 years, and 33 days old. Gunnar drove with Panoz Motorsports as a test and endurance driver in 2002 and ran the full season with them in 2003.

Not to forget their roots in vintage Porsche's, Gunnar Racing is also very active in historic racing, keeping a whole stable of cars race ready, including some that Kevin and Andy worked on when they were being campaigned professionally. The current staff at Gunnar Racing includes: Kevin Jeannette, Andy Jensen, Bret Plazak, Paul Frederick, Sharon Jeannette, Gunnar Jeannette and Jesea Jeannette. It is doubtful that Kevin, Andy, and the entire Gunnar Racing staff are looking to retire anytime soon. There is far too much racing yet to experience!

Jefinabox
Jun 26, 2007
It makes me laugh how expensive defenders are in the USA. I grew up in them and consider them a small step above a tractor. If anyone wants to pay me daft money there's loads of 25 year old land rovers around here I can send you.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Forbidden fruit always tastes sweeter, there's guys like Gas Monkey here in the States who make bank exporting 70's land barges to places like Sweden and Japan.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Das Volk posted:

That's such a strange looking plastic to me, I'm wondering if it's some sort of GFRP or bakelite...

Thats because it's fiberglass.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

D C posted:

Thats because it's fiberglass.

What do you think gfrp is?

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Bape Culture posted:

What do you think gfrp is?

Didn't pay attention to that.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Did you guys know that Chrysler in the 1970's offered a "kit car" intended for short track oval racing? It came in either Dodge Dart or Plymouth Duster flavors.

Here's an early Dodge Dart version, probably skinned as a 1974 or 1975, with a custom Charger Daytona style nose piece added. In the mid 1970's NASCAR modifieds ran at Daytona, typically the cars were open wheel like modifieds generally are, but to combat aero lift and instability, NASCAR allowed streamlining of the cars. This is the logical conclusion of that, and by this point the modifieds were turning 200mph average laps just like Cup cars.

This one is skinned as a 1978 Plymouth Duster.

Here's a brief writeup on the development of the so-called "Saturday Night Special"

Also, the main website itself is pretty boss.

http://mopardealer.com

e- yeah, it doesn't get much more AI than this

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 14, 2014