Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

I just started playing Re:Chain of Memories and my advice is not to, unless you like the idea of an action RPG that won't let hit anything unless the card you're using has a higher number than the enemies, so you spend most fights running around whilst cycling through your cards looking for one that can actually damage them. Or I'm terrible at the game idk.

Shouldn't need too much looking assuming it works like Chain of Memories and you can arrange your deck in card number order so you can almost immediately tell whether don't have a good enough card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
Anyone had any luck with the FF13 resolution fix? I've tried it with default settings, and it just crashes immediatly on startup. I did remember to run as admin.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

I'm about 40 hours into Xillia and I think it's pretty swell. There are definitely some spots where I can tell they cut some corners re: world building (it was apparently a rush job) but overall it's been a lot of fun.
The fact that it's a rush job becomes incredibly apparent once you get to the third act, but it still has a decent ending. Just be prepared for a lot of plot points to be rushed through.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Elswyyr posted:

Anyone had any luck with the FF13 resolution fix? I've tried it with default settings, and it just crashes immediatly on startup. I did remember to run as admin.

Yeah, I've had it work perfectly fine for me. I think it was meant to crash when downscaling from certain resolutions, though. What're you downscaling from, if you're downscaling at all? Also, have you updated the tool to the latest version?

My main problem with the game is that it only wants to use 20-30% of my GPU, no matter what. I'm hoping forcing a borderless windowed mode will help (apparently it sometimes does), but I'm not holding out much hope for a fix aside from an official patch at some point.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

smenj posted:

official patch

Hope you like playing FF as a skeleton cause that's how long it'll take.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Million Ghosts posted:

Hope you like playing FF as a skeleton cause that's how long it'll take.

Yeah, I'm not expecting an official patch. Just going to see if I can get a stable 30fps downsampling from 4K and run from there. I just think that whatever this issue is, that's the only way it'll actually get fixed, if it ever happens (which it almost certainly won't).

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Do y'all have words about Boot Hill Heroes? It's a Western-setting RPG that got released on Steam not too long ago, and I haven't heard much about it other than the music's pretty great.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
The graphics stuff on PC FFXIII is dumb as gently caress, but the list of PC RPGs that kinda suck until modders fix them is pretty long, and there's likely a list of complicated technical reasons they didn't fix it. Escape key closing the game without prompt is loving inexcusable though, especially in an RPG that I assume doesn't have frequent autosaves.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Skwirl posted:

The graphics stuff on PC FFXIII is dumb as gently caress, but the list of PC RPGs that kinda suck until modders fix them is pretty long, and there's likely a list of complicated technical reasons they didn't fix it. Escape key closing the game without prompt is loving inexcusable though, especially in an RPG that I assume doesn't have frequent autosaves.

The problem is that Square-Enix has the game's source code, the game engine's source code and an army of experienced programmers working for them. The issue with most other similar PC RPG's is the guys working on it usually only 2/3 of that.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

smenj posted:

Yeah, I've had it work perfectly fine for me. I think it was meant to crash when downscaling from certain resolutions, though. What're you downscaling from, if you're downscaling at all? Also, have you updated the tool to the latest version?

My main problem with the game is that it only wants to use 20-30% of my GPU, no matter what. I'm hoping forcing a borderless windowed mode will help (apparently it sometimes does), but I'm not holding out much hope for a fix aside from an official patch at some point.

Make sure you have Performance Max setting enabled in either Nvidia or AMD control panel. Also, if you enable high levels of AF/AA, you should be able to drive your GPU fairly high (unless you have 980 or a Titan or AMD equivalent).

For crashing, yeah, people have reported all kinds of weird crashes so it pays to play around with resolution.

On the subject of graphics settings - it's inexcusable. Seriously, if Durante can fix most things in couple days in his spare time while not having access to any documentation, couple devs in Square should have been able to do that in a weekend, $15 port or $50, it does not matter, this is basic stuff.

To be fair, I am enjoying the game surprisingly, with Japanese audio and enhanced AA/AF. Man, I didn't realize how lovely localization and voice direction was before, it completely ruined the game for me. Not to say that most characters don't suck in the game (heya Hope).

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Heavy neutrino posted:

Do y'all have words about Boot Hill Heroes? It's a Western-setting RPG that got released on Steam not too long ago, and I haven't heard much about it other than the music's pretty great.

A few more indie RPGs that I have from bundles and haven't played. Any thoughts on these:

- Chantalese (played Recettear from same team)
- 99 Spirits (makes me think of Muramasa)
- Fairy Bloom Freesia
- Fortune Summoners (same team as Recettear)
- Alpha Kimori (supposed to be good... RPG maker warning)
- Sat Morning RPG
- Epic Battle Fantasy 4
- Skyborn
- Unepic

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

oblomov posted:

- Epic Battle Fantasy 4

Dunno about the others, sorry, but... this is just a flash game. And you can pay actual money to get it on Steam now? :psyduck:

Like, I thought I was just being wrong and it was something different but nope. It's literally just the flash game that looks awful and was relying on ancient memes to be "funny" when it first came out.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

oblomov posted:

I just realized that PS3 for me was the only platform where I outright dropped several major RPGs after just a few hours of play. FFXIII, Ar Tonelico 3, Neptunia 2, Agharest 2, and SO4... All were bought with "how bad could it be mindset". I haven't played first Neptunia or Agharest but heard that sequels were better and like the games in the other 3 series.

I guess it's good that I came in late to PS3 ear and got all these fairly cheaply. Funny enough I picked up XIII PC port to tool around with modded graphics and Japanese voices.
There's a lot of SO4 hate in this thread, but I actually liked it. Am I missing something by not playing any of the precursors in the series?

People considering Nosurge: save yourselves and grab Fairy Fencer F instead. It's simple, dumb and amusing on a power-rangers level and it is fantastically middle-ground by being neither good or bad. A much less risky pickup than Nosurge for those who still hold apprehension towards the Ar series.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

HiveCommander posted:

There's a lot of SO4 hate in this thread, but I actually liked it. Am I missing something by not playing any of the precursors in the series?

People considering Nosurge: save yourselves and grab Fairy Fencer F instead. It's simple, dumb and amusing on a power-rangers level and it is fantastically middle-ground by being neither good or bad. A much less risky pickup than Nosurge for those who still hold apprehension towards the Ar series.

I dunno, Ar 1 & 2 were pretty great. The third one sucked and the new one is supposed to be somewhat of a mix of 1 and 2 battle systems and not much of fan service shenanigans. On the other hand Fairy Fencer is supposed to be like Neptunia and I didn't like MK2 (only one I played).

SO1 and 2 were great, SO3 was bearable and SO4 had possibly the worst dialogues and cutscenes I've seen in any RPG including Ar 3 and P3P's Ken slink. Voices were so grating in either Japanese or English that I couldn't take more then a few hours of that. I suppose if you mute the voices, ignore most of the dialogue, then the combat system was actually decent from what I've played (only gone through first few hours). It's a bit like Graces F I guess in that respect, but Graces with all it's plot/characters/dialogue issues was not anywhere close to SO4 level, IMO.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

HiveCommander posted:

I refuse to give Compile Heart money.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

oblomov posted:

A few more indie RPGs that I have from bundles and haven't played. Any thoughts on these:

- Chantalese (played Recettear from same team)
- Fortune Summoners (same team as Recettear)
Chantelise plays very little like Recettear, and is the only one of these two that was developed by the same team. Carpe Fulgur just localized Fortune Summoners like they did the other two, but a different team made it.

Chantelise was an earlier game by the team, which I dont' like as much as Recettear. And Fortune Summoners I just couldn't get the hang of the controls. When it says " -> + Attack", it means you ahve to hit them at the same time, not be holding right.

Pretty sure they have demos, so you should get the demo and give them a shot.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Fortune Summoners is a very good game and it's a drat shame that it's never getting a sequel. You don't have to control the protagonist once you get other party members and her AI is very, very good (while the mage AI is rather wasteful), so you don't have to learn her controls if you don't want to (good loving luck doing most of her moves with a stick).

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Oct 13, 2014

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I gave up when I was faced with using a squishy mage solo to go... somewhere. Somewhere with a lot of platforming over bottomless pits and the like. It did not really seem like the game for me, while other people might enjoy it more! Hence recommending the demo.

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011

HiveCommander posted:

Not particularly, although the combat is a noticeable step down from SO3's. SO4 is just genuinely terrible game that ramps up the silly and ridiculous melodrama to extreme levels, there's only a handful in the cast that might actually be likable, and the combat is pretty shallow overall on top of Blindside being flashy and useless outside of like Meracle's by endgame.

Forest Thief Pud fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Oct 13, 2014

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

HiveCommander posted:

You are missing nothing by not playing SO3. It is the worst JRPG I've ever played by a good margin. I'd rather play FFVIII and FFXIII for the rest of my life than ever go near SO3 again. Till the End of Time is my arch enemy and I will never, ever understand how anyone can prefer it to 4. Its voice-acting is worse, its characters are worse, its story is worse, its locations are worse...

I like Star Ocean 4. Is it a good game? Nah, but it was fun and had some cool music. I at least did not come out of playing it regretting that I had ever purchased it. I can't say the same for 3.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
How the gently caress can you not regret ever seeing Lymle? Life's too short for SO4 (says the guy who bought and beat Fairy Fencer)

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

NikkolasKing posted:

You are missing nothing by not playing SO3. It is the worst JRPG I've ever played by a good margin. I'd rather play FFVIII and FFXIII for the rest of my life than ever go near SO3 again. Till the End of Time is my arch enemy and I will never, ever understand how anyone can prefer it to 4. Its voice-acting is worse, its characters are worse, its story is worse, its locations are worse...

I like Star Ocean 4. Is it a good game? Nah, but it was fun and had some cool music. I at least did not come out of playing it regretting that I had ever purchased it. I can't say the same for 3.

I dunno, Star Ocean 3 is actually very good, gameplay-wise, but holy poo poo did I have to turn the voices off after five seconds. Also the twist didn't surprise me or annoy me at all. It's basically the same poo poo that's in the much vaunted Star Ocean 2 and it's not bad.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Million Ghosts posted:

How the gently caress can you not regret ever seeing Lymle?

Lymle is ignorable, and in return you get to fill the screen with a billion arrows every single time you control Reimi. It's the same effect as getting Maria in SO3 and simultaneously realising you didn't have to hear 'Side Kick' repeated 50 times per battle and you could lay waste to everything in your path.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
I want to play Star Ocean 4 for the same reasons I imagine people watch The Room.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Room lasts like two hours though, then again that's about how long SO4 lasted for me too.

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

oblomov posted:

- 99 Spirits (makes me think of Muramasa)
- Skyborn

99 Spirits has good music, fantastic artwork, and an interesting story. Pretty sure you'll get carpal tunnel by playing it, though. The combat is novel but that kinda goes to 'boring poo poo' soon enough. Depends on what your tolerance for 'unique but nonetheless really annoying' is.

Skyborn is actually pretty good. Very polished feel. Not incredible, but worth playing through. There's an overload of exposition towards the end, and it feels like the first three-quarters of the game had a lot of time spent on them and the last quarter was due to time constraints or something. Unlike about 95% of RPGs I've ever played, though, the characters were people who I quite liked. The combat system becomes interesting with the introduction of Threat, and you're never forced to grind or do anything tiresome as gently caress to move on. The artwork is also just fantastic.

It's also pretty short, like 6 hours, tops. They cut a lot of stuff that's extraneous to RPGs and just left the interesting poo poo.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

The Machine posted:

I want to play Star Ocean 4 for the same reasons I imagine people watch The Room.

I watched someone play a little bit of SO4 when it first came out and I was going to try it myself until I saw a cutscene where the main character was talking to what was either a little kid in a dominatrix outfit or a fairy that looked like a kid in a dominatrix outfit, and all the characters acted like it was the most natural thing in the world.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

oblomov posted:

Fairy Bloom Freesia

From what I remember this isn't really too much of an RPG, just something like taking a Tales game's arena and making that the game.

I didn't play it much, though. Still fun.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
SO3 isnt creepy as poo poo, and still has the combat which isnt terrible. And Fayt Leingod is a better name than Edge Maverick. Thats pretty much it for me.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

SO3 isnt creepy as poo poo, and still has the combat which isnt terrible. And Fayt Leingod is a better name than Edge Maverick. Thats pretty much it for me.

Edge Maverick is an amazing name... just not for the reasons it was supposed to be.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Looks like I opened up one hell of a worm can with that question :ohdear: although Edge Maverick is a name dragged from the darkest depths of the caverns of Pretentia.

The Black Stones posted:

I refuse to give Compile Heart money.
As far as gimmicky anime games go, at least Compile Heart are relatively low on the creepy totem pole.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Phantasium posted:

From what I remember this isn't really too much of an RPG, just something like taking a Tales game's arena and making that the game.

I didn't play it much, though. Still fun.

Yeah, Fairy Bloom Freesia is an arena beat-em-up, nothing RPG about it. It's actually pretty decent and fun, though the graphics are pretty bad. Doing explosive shoulder checks with a tiny fairy is a lot more fun than it should be. Fair warning the first few days are extremely tame because it takes a while for them to introduce all the mechanics and give you a few decent special skills, but it REALLY picks up as it goes.

The game mechanics start to break down once you get to the end game skills unfortunately, unless they've bothered to do a balance pass at it at some point. Reminds me of the same problem Muramasa had actually, turtling becomes a more viable strategy than anything else due to the regenerating resources mechanics.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

HiveCommander posted:

Looks like I opened up one hell of a worm can with that question :ohdear: although Edge Maverick is a name dragged from the darkest depths of the caverns of Pretentia.

As far as gimmicky anime games go, at least Compile Heart are relatively low on the creepy totem pole.

Haha, no they aren't. They can be pretty drat creepy.

I mean, the last few Compile Heart games aren't irredeemably awful like their older games but they're still creepy.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Haha, no they aren't. They can be pretty drat creepy.

I mean, the last few Compile Heart games aren't irredeemably awful like their older games but they're still creepy.

Seriously. Are people getting desensitized to this poo poo or something?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HiveCommander posted:

This is a phrase I literally never expected to read.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
The way the genre is these days I wouldn't be surprised.

I can maybe see his point if he's only played something like Sorcery Saga or FFF, which aren't as bad as Neptunia or Agarest. Although Ar No Surge kinda has all of their games beat so far for me.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Prism posted:

Edge Maverick is an amazing name... just not for the reasons it was supposed to be.

It could be a star of an 80s action movie!

Appreciate the recommendations for the indies. Going to try out 99 spirits and Fairy Bloom games since I loved Muramasa.

ImpAtom posted:

This is a phrase I literally never expected to read.

Hey, we get had that Moe something rubbing card game, Conception, SKV is coming out, you got that punishment something game upcoming by NISA, and bullet girls might come out too. CH is tame now days ;).

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003
I swear the most common point of discussion itt is Star Ocean 4 being creepy and it's protagonist EDGE MAVERICK.

I'm totally okay with that by the way because it reminds me that EDGE MAVERICK exists and that never fails to make me smile. Same for Fayt Leingod, but I just don't feel like shouting that one in the style of Vince McMahon like I do with EDGE MAVERICK.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
oh no it looks like edge maverick has showed up ringside to interfere with stardust and gold dust

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

is edge maverick that much dumber of a name than cloud strife