Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Republican Vampire posted:

Yeah it's almost as if rather than reading words letter by letter we instead just sort of glide over them and, in the process, fill in a lot of blanks with questionable accuracy.

It's actually kind of sad and I'm worried that the woman who runs the site has some kind of disorder. If you read her posts, or the posts of her readers and fans, it's basically people being obsessive about how perfect their memories are and how they couldn't possibly be wrong about anything. I get that it's a bit scary and difficult to face the fact that we've all got a lot of false memories because memory is horribly inaccurate and undergoes constant revision, but the extent to which these people are in denial about that is disconcerting.

I think most people don't like saying their memory is faulty. Our memory is supposed to be the only objective personal truth of our personal reality, so the idea that it could be incorrect just feels wrong. Our mind does its best to convince us what we remember must be correct, too, so we end up doubling down.

This sounds like a pretty typical new age wackery to me rather than anything truly insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

"The memory cheats."

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

RagnarokAngel posted:

This sounds like a pretty typical new age wackery to me rather than anything truly insane.

That's contradictory

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

EvilGenius posted:

That was my thought. It's a classic example of how memory works. You read Bernstein, commit it to memory, and then never actually read the author again.

I have an example of this, while we're sharing stories. I was having a convo with my wife about how the UK singles charts used to be the top 40, rather than the top 30. She told me it had always been the top 30, which I was adamant was not true - they changed it at some point in the late 90s or early 00s because singles sales were abysmal and numbers 31+ were selling bugger all.

2 weeks later we listen to the chart again, it's the top 40, and my wife is adamant that it's always been the top 40, and [url= http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/UK_Singles_Chart]she's right.[/URL]

I know there must be some faulty memory going on, but it still creeps me out.

I think what must have happened is similar to the Bernstein effect. I didn't really watch TV or listen to radio while I was at uni in the 00s. I probably heard a top 30 genre chart, assumed they'd changed the format of the singles chart, and never discarded that belief because I wasn't paying attention. As for the convo with my wife, Christ knows!

There are also general "top 40" format stations across the english speaking world that have specific programs during the week that are top 30 (and top 20, and top 10), as well programs on specific genre stations that are top 30 (etc).

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Wow, people seem to really be getting into ebola conspiracies. I've seen a number popping up on social networks.

They all seem to revolve around a sinister intent to infect a percentage of the US and reduce world population (the old standby). It'd be nice if the news outlets would stop trying to scare the hell out of everyone.

edit

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Oct 13, 2014

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Alex Jones is a terrible person, and I really pray he gets exposed for the fraud he is.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Mercury Hat posted:

This showed up on my Tumblr dashboard earlier:
[list]

Pictured: a strong contender for "funniest thing that has ever existed."

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

The Mama Bear laughing her rear end off as Papa Bear looks completely mortified makes it a perfect photoshop (it was from the Photoshop Phriday from around a decade ago, right?).

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
What worries me (besides the viral outbreak itself) is the way so many right-wing outlets seamlessly blend ebola fear into their ongoing vendetta w/r/t "the border." The dude arrived by airplane, there's been no recorded ebola (or ISIS for that matter) in Mexico, the whole thing has just been pulled from thin air. And it seems to be everywhere.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
This Week was leading with that nitwit Congressman that said he *knew* about multiple ISIS fighters that've come through the Mexico/US border. They're approach wasn't "Why would a Congressman say something so ridiculous?", it was "Could what this Congressman said be true???"

They're basically enabling people like Jones with their refusal to label anyone as insane. People like Bachmann, Gohmert, King (the Iowa one), and Paul should've been laughed out of Congress ages ago.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

Sir Tonk posted:

Wow, people seem to really be getting into ebola conspiracies. I've seen a number popping up on social networks.

They all seem to revolve around a sinister intent to infect a percentage of the US and reduce world population (the old standby). It'd be nice if the news outlets would stop trying to scare the hell out of everyone.

edit

What world do these people live in where two is considered an outbreak?

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Vorpal Cat posted:

What world do these people live in where two is considered an outbreak?

A world where Outbreak is the standard of medical knowledge.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

FuzzySkinner posted:

Alex Jones is a terrible person, and I really pray he gets exposed for the fraud he is.

Nobody will believe it when it happens because given how much he seems to love Russia he's either on the take for them or just can't hide his love for Cult of Personality fascist leaders.

Sir Tonk posted:

This Week was leading with that nitwit Congressman that said he *knew* about multiple ISIS fighters that've come through the Mexico/US border. They're approach wasn't "Why would a Congressman say something so ridiculous?", it was "Could what this Congressman said be true???"

They're basically enabling people like Jones with their refusal to label anyone as insane. People like Bachmann, Gohmert, King (the Iowa one), and Paul should've been laughed out of Congress ages ago.

Why would they confront these people when it might damage their ratings? What sort of godless commie monster are you to think that media outlets should care beyond their bottom line? :mad:

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

Nobody will believe it when it happens because given how much he seems to love Russia he's either on the take for them or just can't hide his love for Cult of Personality fascist leaders.

I'm trying to figure out if it's he or Fox News that's actually more dangerous.

I can at least argue Fox News doesn't create an entire army that denies national tragedies actually occurred, but then there's the whole promoting some terrible values in this country.

But I don't think a Fox News viewer would be calling parents of dead children telling them this was all fake and just in general being an obnoxious rear end in a top hat.

Also Fox News seems to pray upon people's racist/sexist views quite often, but Alex Jones is exploiting the mentally ill.

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009
Also, Fox News will use special effects to "enhance" news stories if they think it's necessary.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

My Imaginary GF posted:

So, there's an extremely large amount of evidence in addition to Great Zimbabwe? poo poo happens, civilizations collapse.

Yes there is in fact. Great Zimbabwe items making it to coastal Swahili city-states, smaller non-elite settlements dating to the same period spread around the region, smaller Zimbabwes across the plateau. Tons of evidence for the kingdom other than that one site.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

The shear weight and prevalence of the "Great Zimbabwe (or any other other precolonial african achievement) must have somehow been the work of white people or maaaaybe semites" idea does make radical historical-revisionist afrocentrists more tolerable than other conspiracy theorists, as far as I'm concerned. Just as a counterweight.

Go ahead and declare that Sumeria was actually a civilization of black africans, that the Ethiopian empire lasted 7,500 years rather than 2,000, or that white people were genetically-engineered by a black mad scientist to destroy the golden age of Black Atlantis. Turnabout's fair play. Go for it.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Oct 13, 2014

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Sir Tonk posted:

edit

Wow, two whole cases, it's an outbreak, we're doomed!

Sometimes people can be so damned stupid

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I've noticed a trend of crazy conspiracy-believing people claiming that their opponents are all paid shills.

Bitcoin is an easy example, if you follow any of the bitcoin threads here then you've seen tons of people from /r/bitcoin subreddit who authentically believe that every single person who criticizes bitcoin is being paid by banks or the government to hate bitcoin.

I've also seen it with anti-vaxxers. I've personally been accused of being paid off by pharmaceutical companies because I don't believe that vaccines contain mind control serum or whatever the gently caress.

Where I live there's a ballot initiative to put a moratorium on growing GMOs, with serious jailtime and huge fines levied on all offenders. What most people around here don't realize is that every papaya tree in the region is a GMO variety, and a lot of people like to grow them as decoration or as part of a garden, so a lot of people are going to be unknowingly hosed if this law passes. There are also public documents showing that this initiative is almost entirely funded by organic farming groups from out of state, but the whole thing poses as a grass roots movement. Local small farmers have even been speaking out in the local newspapers about the bill. But if you even raise a concern about the wording of the initiative then you're a shill paid by Monsanto, according to the anti-GMO group

Have you guys noticed this sort of conspiratorial accusation with other insane groups?

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

SA is in on it! LOWTAX
:derp:

it's been a while since I read this thread

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Mercury Hat posted:

This showed up on my Tumblr dashboard earlier:

"Who remembers the Berenstain Bears? Many people actually remember it as the Berenstein Bears. It’s part of the Mandela theory, or a term that someone is positive something happened although it didn’t. Many attribute these false memories as a glimpse into a parallel universe. (Source)"

Seems reasonable, lots of people misremember the same things all the time. But then when you go check out the rest of the site, you get things like this:
    My research began in 2005, after someone in Dragon*Con’s “green room” mentioned that others (besides me) remembered Nelson Mandela dying in prison. A lengthy conversation followed. For hours, a group of us — mostly authors — discussed our own memories of that event, as well as other events that don’t match the timestream we’re in now.

That’s not a conspiracy theory. It’s related to alternate history and parallel realities.

Exploring the quantum / “Sliders” concept further, I discovered an entire world of shifting realities that people try to reconcile daily.

Though some of these may be false memories and other issues of mental health, or simply erroneous news reports, the sheer volume and consistency of them raise deeper and more intriguing questions.
And this:
    This morning, I was enjoying 9 Things You Can Learn from Hamlet and made a comment referencing the debate about whether or not William Shakespeare wrote the plays attributed to him.

[...]

Each of these have staunch supporters who — when someone insists on a contrary view — make most flame wars look tame.

I’m not posting to debate the origins of Shakespeare’s plays. Instead, what if each theory’s enthusiasts are adamant because they each slid into this timestream from a reality in which that WAS the origin of Shakespeare’s plays?

[...]

My question is: What if these people have slid from other realities, don’t realize it, and are simply defending history that — to them — seems obvious and evident, because it’s what they experienced at the time? It’s what they recall from news reports and history books in the timestream they came from.

:allears: I love the internet.

This is incredible. There was a pretty good reference to this sorta stuff in John Dies in the End (or it's sequel) that I didn't really get at the time, but it makes so much sense seeing these people collectively swear that an event happened differently.

From the outside it's amazing and insane, watching people unknowingly build false collective memories that will become more and more synchronized the longer they discuss the "original reality" they experienced.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Evil Fluffy posted:

Why would they confront these people when it might damage their ratings? What sort of godless commie monster are you to think that media outlets should care beyond their bottom line? :mad:

I know, I was just trying to be outraged again... :eng99:

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

My dad had Glenn Beck cranked up a bit. (He then promptly switched it off joking that he was tired of hearing about the world ending)

and I caught a really stupid ad claiming that "OBAMA IS GONNA SEIZE YOUR FOOD IN A TIME OF CRISIS! BUY A FOOD SURVIVAL PACK"

So I did a quick google search and came across this:

https://www.shtfplan.com/headline-n...rgency_03182012

I'm a tad bit puzzled though in regards to the paranoia though.

Also the comments section is a crazy person goldmine!

quote:

This is nothing new, and is not unique to Obama. This article is also quite inaccurate as far as the literal meaning of the order.
While this specific executive order is new, orders like it have existed for quite some time. I know you guys want to have a reason for hating Obama, but come on…Democrat, Republican…they’re all crooks. Reagan signed numerous executive orders that are far worse than this, and the wordage used was not at all vague. They flat out said that the federal government can take your home, vehicle, whatever, if they deem it necessary. It was all in relation to “REX-84″.
Executive orders are, in my opinion, unconstitutional, unless they pertain directly and exclusively to the workings of the executive branch. But alas, I am an original Constitutionalist, and a strong proponent of State authority and minimal federal powers (as outlined in the Constitution). So, quite literally, 99% of what the federal government does is unconstitutional. Even the beneficial agencies, if they delegate authority over the states, are unconstitutional (ATF, FBI, CIA, Dept of Energy, Dept of Education, etc). But whether they are beneficial or not is irrelevant (fruit of the poisonous tree theory).
The federal government has very quickly evolved into an evil regime. The Civil War was a good start for them. Remember, we were supposed to be a confederacy. Hence why we are called the “United States”, and not the “Federation of States”.

Really? That's news to me!

Also, yes, I sure do trust the states to provide quality drinking water, electricity, and quality roads! Just like how the South did, I mean it didn't take them a ridiculously long time to get on the grid. Oh wait....

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

QuarkJets posted:

Have you guys noticed this sort of conspiratorial accusation with other insane groups?

It applies to just about every cult. And with conspiracies, it help people feel that they're *important* if the Big Mean Banks are spending time trying to silence them.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

RagnarokAngel posted:

I think most people don't like saying their memory is faulty. Our memory is supposed to be the only objective personal truth of our personal reality, so the idea that it could be incorrect just feels wrong. Our mind does its best to convince us what we remember must be correct, too, so we end up doubling down.

Since I got into new age at one point, I can agree on this being due to the mentality.

Evil Fluffy posted:

How sad and yet funny to think back in 1999 he was using Russian's as the go to ground-level bad guys (upper level being the NWO, of course)

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

QuarkJets posted:

I've noticed a trend of crazy conspiracy-believing people claiming that their opponents are all paid shills.

One thing I've noticed is they get really angry if you turn it around on them. In a Facebook argument with an anti-vaxxer (yeah I know) he said something along the lines of "keep believing everything you're told, I bet you think global warming's real as well". I said that all his arguments made sense now that I knew he was in the pocket of Big Oil and holy poo poo the meltdown was glorious.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Update on the apparent executive order. Apparently Snoopes debunked it.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/ndrp.asp

LOUSY HARRY TRUMAN TRYING TO PREPARE FOR A NUCLEAR HOLOCAUST!

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Paid shills are a thing that exist, so it's an obvious explanation for your opponent being dishonest and disingenuous, and if you're far enough down the conspiracy hole your opponents always look dishonest and disingenuous.

At the height of xbone mock hysteria on this forum we had people accusing the moderators of being in Microsoft's pocket for not being anti-Bone enough.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, off the top of my head, both Israel and China pay people to go on message boards/comment fields and talk up the respective country.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

FuzzySkinner posted:

My dad had Glenn Beck cranked up a bit. (He then promptly switched it off joking that he was tired of hearing about the world ending)

and I caught a really stupid ad claiming that "OBAMA IS GONNA SEIZE YOUR FOOD IN A TIME OF CRISIS! BUY A FOOD SURVIVAL PACK"

So I did a quick google search and came across this:

https://www.shtfplan.com/headline-n...rgency_03182012

I'm a tad bit puzzled though in regards to the paranoia though.

Also the comments section is a crazy person goldmine!

Really? That's news to me!

Also, yes, I sure do trust the states to provide quality drinking water, electricity, and quality roads! Just like how the South did, I mean it didn't take them a ridiculously long time to get on the grid. Oh wait....

Yeah, originally the founding fathers tried a confederacy, but they found it didn't work. Giving every state equal power with none above was a failure and always will be a failure for the same reason Communism doesn't work. There's always some shits that want to manipulate the system to get more. Hell, even the confederacy in the 1860's realized that system didn't work and would fail soon after the war if they'd won.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

Yeah, off the top of my head, both Israel and China pay people to go on message boards/comment fields and talk up the respective country.

Scientologists too, although they surely don't get paid. I think Burger King or Yum Brands or some other fast food company tried to get shills on message boards way back around 2000. I think I remember them on Fark of all places.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Jack Gladney posted:

Scientologists too, although they surely don't get paid. I think Burger King or Yum Brands or some other fast food company tried to get shills on message boards way back around 2000. I think I remember them on Fark of all places.

Aaaand our very own tax money may very well be going towards military sock puppet posters http://yro.slashdot.org/story/11/03/18/023239/us-military-commissions-sock-puppet-program . All the same I don't want to put wind in the sails of wing-nuts looking to dehumanize reasonable people trying to talk sense into them.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
We've hired our own geeks to post positive about Quixtar!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Party Boat posted:

One thing I've noticed is they get really angry if you turn it around on them. In a Facebook argument with an anti-vaxxer (yeah I know) he said something along the lines of "keep believing everything you're told, I bet you think global warming's real as well". I said that all his arguments made sense now that I knew he was in the pocket of Big Oil and holy poo poo the meltdown was glorious.

I desperately want to see this for some reason, hah. I will definitely have to remember this tactic.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

muscles like this? posted:

Tons of companies do this, too, but the paranoids will accuse every dissenting voice of being a shill. And it doesn't matter whether that kind of accusation even exists. For instance, accusing the thousands of scientists who have endorsed GMOs of "being in Monsanto's pocket", even if it's obvious that they don't work for or speak for Monsanto (such as the video of Neil deGrasse Tyson basically speaking into a cell phone camera)

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

What most people around here don't realize is that every papaya tree in the region is a GMO variety
In the strictest sense, everything that people eat is a GMO. There are no populations of feral beef cows. The kind of corn you find in a grocery store is not found in nature. GMO has been a thing since humans stopped living in trees.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Miss-Bomarc posted:

In the strictest sense, everything that people eat is a GMO. There are no populations of feral beef cows. The kind of corn you find in a grocery store is not found in nature. GMO has been a thing since humans stopped living in trees.

Yeah but inserting genes between different species is bad because of reasons

To be fair, "we're inserting bacteria genes into this corn so that it will grow its own pesticides" sounds pretty scary to someone who might not realize that Bt Protein is way safer to eat and better for the environment than the pesticides that are normally dumped on crops

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things
I found this via Facebook:
http://worldtruth.tv/brain-eating-nanobots-being-put-in-vaccines-says-whistleblower/
I tried to read it, but I couldn't even determine what this person thinks the goal of the brain eating nanobots is. The nanobots appear to be programmed to attack a specific type of brain cell, but I couldn't actually find the intended effect.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Ah, the tales I hear when at work. Last night was another good one. Seems the military now asks every one if they're willing to shoot unarmed civilians. If you say no, they find some way to discharge you either medically, or just find some blemish in your record to give you a dishonorable discharge. This is all to prep the military for the coming ebola outbreak at which point they're going to round up everyone into FEMA camps and those that don't go will be shot. The government has also stockpiled millions of these plastic coffin liners that can fit 5 bodies so they can put contaminated deaths in them and incinerate them. Of course the military keeps these in an open to the public military base because there's PHOTOS! But these guys at work will survive because they're big tough men with a few hunting rifles, of course they're more than a match for drones, smart bombs and tanks.

Of course all this is made possible because there's a ruling circle of elites (no, not the NWO, illuminati, or any of that jazz) that control all the world's governments and want to decrease the human population because they have an unsupported quote from Bill Gates saying we should cull the populace through, wait for it....
...a vaccine conspiracy!

I really do not feel safe where I work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

SocketWrench posted:

This is all to prep the military for the coming ebola outbreak at which point they're going to round up everyone into FEMA camps and those that don't go will be shot.

Oh man, Deus Ex is coming true!

• Locked thread