Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davinci
Feb 21, 2013

spudsbuckley posted:

I'm starting to think i want a Wii U.

Pre-owned games are cheap as dirt over here at the moment and it does have the best next-gen exclusives but the future of the console is murky as gently caress.

Recent releases like Hyrule Warriors and Bayonetta 2 don't really interest me because hack and slash bores the gently caress out of me after 5 minutes.

I'm conflicted as gently caress about this console.

Well what kind of games DO you like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

spudsbuckley posted:

Pre-owned games are cheap as dirt over here at the moment and it does have the best next-gen exclusives but the future of the console is murky as gently caress.

Recent releases like Hyrule Warriors and Bayonetta 2 don't really interest me because hack and slash bores the gently caress out of me after 5 minutes.

Well what games are you interested in for it? I can say that for one, Mario 3D World really is as excellent as people are saying, and Mario Kart 8 is really good too.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

spudsbuckley posted:

Let's be clear here, the only reason to buy a Wii U is for exclusives. So if you go through all the Mario and Zelda games and stuff like that, and none of them really stand out to you as "I have to have this," don't buy the console.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

PrBacterio posted:

Well what games are you interested in for it? I can say that for one, Mario 3D World really is as excellent as people are saying, and Mario Kart 8 is really good too.

Those two, DK and the sidescroller Mario and Zombii U are interesting the hell out of me along with some multiplayer stuff.

It actually has more stuff that i want on it than the PS4 i have at the moment.

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011

spudsbuckley posted:

I'm in the same boat here. I really want to play 3D Land, NSMBU, MK8, WWHD, Tropical Freeze and Pikmin. At least. The problem is that Zelda U, Xenoblade X and the Toad game are pretty much the only upcoming games I'm interested in.

I'm not getting a Nintendo console for multiplatform games so the exclusives are all I really care about. I don't know if owning a console for ten games is worth it.

Really tho when I spell it out like that it seems like I really should get this thing.

A Wii U successor is 2016 at earliest, right?

Fabulous Knight fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Oct 13, 2014

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
If platformers are your game then you need a Wii U.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Fabulous Knight posted:

I'm in the same boat here. I really want to play 3D Land, NSMBU, MK8, WWHD, Tropical Freeze and Pikmin. At least. The problem is that Zelda U, Xenoblade X and the Toad game are pretty much the only upcoming games I'm interested in.

I'm not getting a Nintendo console for multiplatform games so the exclusives are all I really care about. I don't know if owning a console for ten games is worth it.

I've put quite a good amount of hours into 3D World and Hyrule Warriors. It's basically a companion console to me, though; most of my gaming time is spent playing PC games.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Fabulous Knight posted:

Really tho when I spell it out like that it seems like I really should get this thing.

Honestly, in my book, 10 games is the minimum requirement for me to consider buying a console. Also, 3D Land is a 3DS game, 3D World is the Wii U one. One more thing, give the Wonderful 101 demo a try if you get the Wii U, it's hit or miss, but if you love it, you'll know, and Lego City Undercover is better than you'd think.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
When you can get a Wii U for $200 and there's 8 games for sure you want, I'd say that definitely makes it a must buy.

Edit: It's just too bad you guys didn't pull the trigger during the MK8 promotion. You got a free game, and people were selling codes on SA Mart for ~$20. I got MK8, NSMBU, Pikmin 3, and WWHD for $100.

Edit2: and since those games were part of the DDP promotion, I got $15 in eShop credit that I used to buy Shovel Knight.

Fremry fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Oct 13, 2014

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Nintendo consoles haven't been the go-to for quantity of quality releases since the Super NES anyway.

If you can only have one console, I would not buy a Wii U, but there are some very good games exclusive to the system, so I'd say it's a worthy buy if you have the cash and you're fine having only 8-10 games.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

RyokoTK posted:

Sex and sexiness in games is just generally handled very poorly, which I think is why it tends to bother me.

If you see any sex or sexiness in bayonetta you are probably hosed up

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

numerrik posted:

Honestly, in my book, 10 games is the minimum requirement for me to consider buying a console. Also, 3D Land is a 3DS game, 3D World is the Wii U one. One more thing, give the Wonderful 101 demo a try if you get the Wii U, it's hit or miss, but if you love it, you'll know, and Lego City Undercover is better than you'd think.
Well if he doesn't care about Bayonetta 2 then it's unlikely he'd like W101 either though, they're pretty similar in their approach. But purely for the Mario/Nintendo main IP games, which seems to be what he's asking, I'd say yes, it's worth it.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Pomp posted:

Buy Bayonetta or go to hell

Don't you already have this game Pomp?

No, I have Bayonetta 1 and Vanquish and Wonderful 101, IDIOT!

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Fabulous Knight posted:

What about Yoshi's Wooly World, Kirby's Rainbow Curse, and Smash Bros. 4?

Plus you said yourself that a successor is coming in 2016 at the earliest (I'd say 2017 at the earliest, Nintendo's never waited less than 5 years), and there will definitely be things other than Xenoblade and Zelda next year. I think there's plenty of justification to get a Wii U if those are the sorts of games you're into.

Chaltab fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 13, 2014

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Trying the Bayonetta demo makes me feel like I imagine a grandmother forced to play Mario Bros for the first time, pushing buttons randomly. I simply cannot follow what is going on or what I am supposed to do at all in even the simplest fights, having never actually played one of this new (well, more or less) breed of hack'n'slash games.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Don't forget about Smash Bros unless you are somehow people who are interested in every single Nintendo IP but not loving Smash Bros.

If there's a decent number of games you're interested in, just get it. Who cares about the future of the console, there's more than enough games out right now to justify a purchase and you basically never have to pay full price. Pretty much all the major retailers (Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Target) will price match each other and Amazon so shop around. Amazon usually offers games for a decent amount under the MSRP so keep an eye on that.

Look for deals, especially with the holidays coming up. Hopefully Target will do another of their "$15 off if you buy a $1 reservation card with this game" deals too, if you're lucky /savvy you can pair that with a price match. Over the summer I got 3D World, DK Tropical Freeze, Pikmin 3, and Mario Kart 8 and I didn't pay more than 35 for any of them.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Oct 13, 2014

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Trying the Bayonetta demo makes me feel like I imagine a grandmother forced to play Mario Bros for the first time, pushing buttons randomly. I simply cannot follow what is going on or what I am supposed to do at all in even the simplest fights, having never actually played one of this new (well, more or less) breed of hack'n'slash games.

I feel the same way. It was entertaining, I beat the demo, and in true Platinum games fashion I am sure there is a way I could have beaten it better, but I don't quite understand how I won.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Is there a popular or recommended external HDD out there somewhere? I need something so I can finally stop swapping between two 2Gb flash drives for my Basic, although I'm not looking for multiple terabytes of storage.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Super Slash posted:

Is there a popular or recommended external HDD out there somewhere? I need something so I can finally stop swapping between two 2Gb flash drives for my Basic, although I'm not looking for multiple terabytes of storage.

Any external drive with its own plug-in power source will work just fine. Some people use USB-powered ones with a Y-cable to draw power from both back ports, but I think the official recommendation is a separate power source.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Tender Bender posted:

Don't forget about Smash Bros unless you are somehow people who are interested in every single Nintendo IP but not loving Smash Bros.

My wife and I are inexplicably like this. We don't get it. Like Smash Bros. should be a game we are both obsessed with because we both grew up with Nintendo stuff and play Zelda/Mario/Metroid/fighting games all the time and yet...it just gets boring to us real fast. I'm a sucker for nostalgic Easter egg stuff too so I really don't know why it is that I can be playing Smash and just feeling indifferent. I think it might be like the reaction we have to the generally praised NES Remix releases where it just makes us wonder why were aren't playing the actual games instead.

Astro7x posted:

I feel the same way. It was entertaining, I beat the demo, and in true Platinum games fashion I am sure there is a way I could have beaten it better, but I don't quite understand how I won.

The thing that makes Bayonetta fun for me is how intuitive its mechanics are. On the surface it looks complicated, the enemies tend to get in your face pretty fast, there's tons of stuff going on around you, but you have to imagine you're playing like Streets of Rage or Double Dragon where it's very basic "dude near me is about to attack, dodge, dude near me is not about to attack, hit him a lot" no matter what the enemy is. The key to the game is not getting overwhelmed by all the crazy stuff happening and looking at the enemies' tells. On normal at least the dodge move gives you some pretty good leeway and like the tutorial says, it really does let you evade any situation.

The game is very old school in that respect, like the demo's first boss, you never even have to jump, just use the dodge. In a lesser game you would have to do a QTE every time its arm swings by or it would be a cutscene every time it changes position but this is like Contra Hard Corp. or a Castlevania game where the enemy is always there and your timing is what makes the difference. Once I got used to doing that in a 3D game instead of mashing to victory like God of War or whatever I was able to worry more about using the guns to continue combos and controlling the space better and all those other things.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 13, 2014

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

jivjov posted:

Any external drive with its own plug-in power source will work just fine. Some people use USB-powered ones with a Y-cable to draw power from both back ports, but I think the official recommendation is a separate power source.

I tried using an external with a Y-cable but I couldn't get it to work.

Right now I'm using a Seagate 2TB drive with its own power source and it works like a charm.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Kaubocks posted:

I tried using an external with a Y-cable but I couldn't get it to work.

Right now I'm using a Seagate 2TB drive with its own power source and it works like a charm.

Yep, I'm using a 2TB WesternDigital MyBook. I upgraded the one on my PC to a 3TB model and use my old one with the Wii U. 2TB is probably more space than I will ever need for my Wii U, but its not like there's a downside to too much space.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

spudsbuckley posted:

Just quoting you to tell you
1) buy a Wii u it's the only next gen console worth owning
2) you're a dumb gently caress if you don't get Bayonetta ②

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Just quoting you to tell you
1) buy a Wii u it's the only next gen console worth owning
2) you're a dumb gently caress if you don't get Bayonetta ②

Bayonetta 2 is a Platinum game, and while Platinum makes great games they're niche. I wouldn't fault anyone for not getting it, and I'm the fanboy who even bought Red Hot Rumble.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Bruceski posted:

Bayonetta 2 is a Platinum game, and while Platinum makes great games they're niche. I wouldn't fault anyone for not getting it, and I'm the fanboy who even bought Red Hot Rumble.

You're gutter trash if you don't buy every clover/platinum game.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

I.... i don't like Platinum games :(

Sorry guys.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Kill you are self

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Electromax posted:

It's a golfing game, but not a golf game.

It's kind of like golf and bowling and bocce had a kid, and then they made Kirby the ball.

Kirby's the loving ball?! Okay, I'll bite.

Fabulous Knight posted:

Sure it is. I've owned a PS3 since 2007 and I've only got 7 games for it, and I guess I kinda don't regret it. Only a few of them are exclusives (Metal Gear Solid 4, Gran Turismo 5/6) and those aren't even the good ones -- that merit goes to the Souls games, which aside from Demon's Souls, were multiplatform. For the Wii U, Nintendo's in-house development has been knocking it out of the park. It has some of the greatest first-party games since the SNES.

enojy fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 13, 2014

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
If you don't like Platinum games I'm gonna assume you are an Assassin's Creed fan and need to die.

Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I see nothing in their oeuvre to encourage this kind fanboyism

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Pegged Lamb posted:

u r trash tbh

Jewigi
Apr 20, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

u r trash tbh

*straightens Dr. Who cosplay tie* h e h, showed that guy

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pegged Lamb posted:

Well, you press a couple of buttons lots and your guy/gal hits things until they die in all of their games. This goes on for 5 or 6 hours and is supposedly a good thing.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Jewigi posted:

this but unironically

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

spudsbuckley posted:

Well, you press a couple of buttons lots and your guy/gal hits things until they die in all of their games. This goes on for 5 or 6 hours and is supposedly a good thing.

Man this is like the whole point of videogames.

The purest form of game

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

spudsbuckley posted:

You press a few buttons on a keyboard lots and you share your opinion with the internet until your body rots away. This has gone on for at least six years and supposedly continues to be worth doing.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Strange Quark posted:

You press a few buttons on a keyboard lots and you share your opinion with the internet until your body rots away. This has gone on for at least six years and supposedly continues to be worth doing.

I don;t really want to get into an argument with Platinum game fans because it's just a losing battle due to niche-ness but if posting was like their games play then all my posts would be "ABABABABABABAABABABABABABABABBBBBBAAAAAABBAABABABABABA" so i'm just going to drop it.

What downloadable games are good on the Wii U?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

spudsbuckley posted:

I don;t really want to get into an argument with Platinum game fans because it's just a losing battle but if posting was like their games then all my posts would be "ABABABABABABAABABABABABABABABBBBBBAAAAAABBAABABABABABA" so i'm just going to drop it.

What downloadable games are good on the Wii U?

None; you press buttons for a few hours and things die/puzzles are solved.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Jewigi posted:

Sick burn, Jewigi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PS1 Hagrid
Sep 17, 2007

RE: Should I Buy A Wii U

Do you like colorful, kid-friendly and generally inoffensive Nintendo games? Buy a Wii U and Mario Kart.
Do you have friends that enjoy playing together casually? Buy a Wii U and Mario Kart.
Do you need a way to get together with your girlfriend/boyfriend doing something that isn't watching Netflix? Buy a Wii U and Mario Kart.

Do you have MLG noscope bro friends that like to get together and booze up with some video games? Buy an Xbox and Madden instead.

Seriously if you have any friends of the type that only play sports games and tournament callofduties they won't loving shut up about how gay you are for purchasing a kiddie console for babies. It cannot even loving stream ESPN you scrub! God just let me play my baby games in peace okay

• Locked thread