Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
well if we're splitting my vote i don't see why you shouldn't split yours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

IceAgeComing posted:

for what its worth; Cameron is questioning the lack of Green inclusion in the debates, since they have an equal number of MPs to UKIP and actually elected one at the last general election

...so look forward to the Greens not being included in any of the debates, then!

Because he wants the Greens to split the left vote like UKIP are splitting the right. Cleggomania almost worked last time.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Isn't UKIP splitting the Labour vote too, if only to a lesser extent?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Lugaloco posted:

FPTP and they're hoping to eat all the disaffected Lib Dem votes, which is consistent with polling. It's Ed's election to lose: watch.

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.

Zohar posted:

Nothing 'stealth' about it in UKIP's case.

Yeah, it's weird but it doesn't even need to be. Really depressing how many traditional labour voters I've heard interviewed being reminded of the fact that they will basically be more Tory than the Tories, to no effect. "But they're different from politicians, they're regular people, I trust them to stop the immigration madness" and so on.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Lugaloco posted:

Not to a meaningful extent at present. Per the FT:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/aa174284-5096-11e4-b73e-00144feab7de.html?siteedition=uk#axzz3FTyepMaW

quote:

One Tory figure summed up the challenge facing the governing party: “Ukip take votes from everyone but they take seats from us.”

Spooky Hyena
May 2, 2014

Choosing to benefit from an empire of murder and genocide makes you complicit.
:scotland:
lol, nice meltdown
UKIP being put in the debates is just another reason for the media to cram UKIP into every single avenue of news that they possibly can, because they're full of big personalities and spit soundbites out all the time. If it was really about representing UKIP because of their MP, Plaid Cymru would have some representation.

Private Eye
Jul 12, 2010

Don't be so bloody gay, Cambo

Spooky Hyena posted:

UKIP being put in the debates is just another reason for the media to cram UKIP into every single avenue of news that they possibly can, because they're full of big personalities and spit soundbites out all the time. If it was really about representing UKIP because of their MP, Plaid Cymru would have some representation.

Like the SNP, Plaid Cymru will never get representation outside of regional debates because they are regional parties. Its not right that a party standing only in Scotland or in Wales takes part in a debate for the entire UK. Even as a practicality, its a waste of a debater for ~83% of the population.

As poo poo as it is that UKIP are in the debates, its pretty much damned if you do and damned if you don't. If they didn't let UKIP in the debates, then they'd play "the establishment hates us and doesn't want you to know the truth" card.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

HortonNash posted:

Because he wants the Greens to split the left vote like UKIP are splitting the right. Cleggomania almost worked last time.

Here's a fun idea mateys, instead of spoiling your ballot with a throbbing communist dick or whatever, pretend when filling it out that you're living in a universe where we have preferential voting, and number all the candidates from smallest rear end in a top hat to biggest.

Worst case scenario the counter decides to interpret the biggest number as clear preference for [poo poo party] :v:

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Private Eye posted:

Like the SNP, Plaid Cymru will never get representation outside of regional debates because they are regional parties. Its not right that a party standing only in Scotland or in Wales takes part in a debate for the entire UK. Even as a practicality, its a waste of a debater for ~83% of the population.

As poo poo as it is that UKIP are in the debates, its pretty much damned if you do and damned if you don't. If they didn't let UKIP in the debates, then they'd play "the establishment hates us and doesn't want you to know the truth" card.

UKIP in the general election are effectively an English regional party

kapparomeo
Apr 19, 2011

Some say his extreme-right links are clearly known, even in the fascist capitalist imperialist Murdochist press...
With a Scottish MEP.

I don't think that UKIP should be in the leadership debates - I think the whole idea of a leadership debate in the first place should be abandoned, it's too presidential, just mindless show-boating and quite unseemly - but they are indisputably a national party.

kapparomeo fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Oct 13, 2014

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Cerv posted:

UKIP in the general election are effectively an English regional party

Both UKIP and the Conservatives were the only parties to stand in every constituency in this year's European elections.

Spooky Hyena
May 2, 2014

lol, nice meltdown
Does it make much of a difference? Even if minor parties stand solely in bumfuck nowhere, having more MPs in the house of commons means they have more influence on issues that affect the whole of the UK (a little more complicated in Scotland, but still). Plaid have more MPs, so even from an anglocentric point of view they have more influence on the price of bread in Staffordshire than UKIP does.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Will voting reform ever have a chance of happening again in the next parliament seeing as the public said no in this one? (GE voting not Scotland if that isn't clear)

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

kapparomeo posted:

With a Scottish MEP.

TinTower posted:

Both UKIP and the Conservatives were the only parties to stand in every constituency in this year's European elections.

specifically said uk general election, not european or whatever :11tea:

madey
Sep 17, 2007

I saved the Olympics singlehandedly
What the gently caress is going on at the Daily Star?

Spooky Hyena
May 2, 2014

lol, nice meltdown
Nothing new, it's always been like that. I thought it was a bad parody for years.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

I guess their original front page story was considered libelous at the last minute.

kapparomeo
Apr 19, 2011

Some say his extreme-right links are clearly known, even in the fascist capitalist imperialist Murdochist press...

quote:

specifically said uk general election, not european or whatever

UKIP contested 34 seats in Scotland in the 2010 General Election and they'll be pushing Scotland aggressively in 2015 as well. They polled more votes in Scotland than the Greens in both General and European Elections. It's silly to put Farage in a leadership debate but UKIP are definitely a national party.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

kapparomeo posted:

With a Scottish MEP.

I don't think that UKIP should be in the leadership debates - I think the whole idea of a leadership debate in the first place should be abandoned, it's too presidential, just mindless show-boating and quite unseemly - but they are indisputably a national party.

The debates continue this abandonment of cabinet in favour of presidentialism that Thatchy started. It's well poo poo.

If we're going to have debates I'd much rather have university challenge style "Cabinet Vs Cabinet" debates with audience questions. Much harder to hide your shitheel members behind one well oiled PR figurehead.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

What the gently caress are we gonna do about Crabzilla?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Phoon posted:

Megagull has got it sorted.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Phoon posted:

Replace labour MPs with a left-wing alliance. Also face paints.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Even though the SNP are a party that represents itself only in Scotland. It still gets seats in the house of commons in the general election and can affect the policies that are made through the house of commons as a result even though it only has six seats.

The SNP infact can possibly become a party that forms a UK government in the general election. Even though to do that you must have the turnout in the rUK split the votes a very good margin between every party possible, the SNP getting a lot more votes in Scotland and the turnout itself being poo poo in the rUK which might give the SNP a chance of becoming the UK government...as much as it sounds impossible.

But as others have said, it only focuses itself in Scotland. But depending on how much Scotland votes for them, it can affect the rUK so...you are kind of in a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation where you do include them or not.

Now the Greens on the other hand can be said the same way for not getting in because they are not a UK wide party because of how S-Greens are focused in Scotland only as well and are seperate entities from the E&W-Greens, even though they do share the same principles. It's...a werid one to say the least.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

winegums posted:

The debates continue this abandonment of cabinet in favour of presidentialism that Thatchy started. It's well poo poo.

If we're going to have debates I'd much rather have university challenge style "Cabinet Vs Cabinet" debates with audience questions. Much harder to hide your shitheel members behind one well oiled PR figurehead.

This is a good idea actually!

"Can your Chancellor of the Exchequer answer some simple questions about foundation economics?"

*All parties* "Oh poo poo!"

Fluo
May 25, 2007

namesake posted:

Megagull has got it sorted.

The Asylum will be working on this movie very soon!

Spooky Hyena
May 2, 2014

lol, nice meltdown

kapparomeo posted:

UKIP contested 34 seats in Scotland in the 2010 General Election and they'll be pushing Scotland aggressively in 2015 as well. They polled more votes in Scotland than the Greens in both General and European Elections. It's silly to put Farage in a leadership debate but UKIP are definitely a national party.

They aren't polling higher than the greens, they're consistently at around 4-5% (greens have around 7-9%) and that gives them 0 seats no matter how generous you are. And as for their plans to take over Falkirk, ahahaha

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

kapparomeo posted:

They got less than ten percent of the vote in the European elections; the Greens stood 14 less candidates than UKIP in 2010 and only got 400 less votes; and in the 2011 Scottish elections the Greens got 4% of the vote and 2 MSPs and UKIP got less than 1% of the vote. The Greens look like standing a whole lot more candidates in 2015; assuming this common candidate list thing with the SNP and SSP amounts to nothing. You can't use European elections to describe the situation for UKIP, especially since they have much lower turnouts to General Elections, with them getting anti-European protest votes and having a base that's far more likely to turn out in a European election than the average voter of other parties. UKIP will get 5% of the Scottish popular vote share in the General Election maximum: they'll get nowhere near a seat and lose more of their deposits. The Greens probably won't poll as well as that, but there are other factors in that - they generally do better in PR elections (like locals and Holyrood) where they actually have a chance of winning something; and it wouldn't surprise me if there's some kind of unofficial deal with the SNP for the Greens to not stand in seats that they are targeting, especially since Green voters seem to think of the SNP as a decent second preference.

In short; I reject the idea that UKIP are a significant political force in Scotland: at best they are the fifth political party in Westminster elections and sixth in Holyrood elections. Hell, the bloody SSP seems to have more influence on the people of Scotland than UKIP does...

e: Also the Greens are polling near the Tories in recent Holyrood election polls, but they usually do a year or so out from the election so I wouldn't expect them to actually get anywhere near

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

madey posted:

What the gently caress is going on at the Daily Star?

Anyone got a boat, ive got the munchies. I have some really nice fresh garlic and potatoes from my friends allotment.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

A cursory google search shows that their "clearly a bullshit hoax" exclusive isn't even an exclusive, they nicked it from some nutter's website.

They can't even make their own poo poo up, what a bunch of hacks. Still... cheaper than the Mirror!

Edit: and a free website!

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Oct 13, 2014

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Cabinet v cabinet would be great. If we're forced to pick one of these groups for power, they shouldn't be able to hide the shitters behind closed doors. I would relish Gideon being grilled by Paxman with little prep.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
I appreciate that Crabzilla is fairly serious news, at the moment, but what are we going to about this plauge of black eyed children!? :supaburn:

Maybe the cow-sized rats could help us:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Oct 13, 2014

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Pesky Splinter posted:

I appreciate that Crabzilla is fairly serious news, at the moment, but what are we going to about this plauge of black eyed children!? :supaburn:

If they ask this in the debate I'll tune in to watch.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Ah yes, UKIP, the party that gets chased after with coke bottles and locked into pubs whenever they set foot in Scotland, are truly a political force because of their Scottish voters.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Coohoolin posted:

Ah yes, UKIP, the party that gets chased after with coke bottles and locked into pubs whenever they set foot in Scotland, are truly a political force because of their Scottish voters.

And yet somehow considerably more popular than the SSP?

Spooky Hyena
May 2, 2014

lol, nice meltdown

Pissflaps posted:

And yet somehow considerably more popular than the SSP?

Why, is someone claiming that the SSP should take part in the national debates?

gorki
Aug 9, 2014
If the SNP and Plaid are going to be included then should we not have the Northern Ireland parties as well?

:stare:

Spooky Hyena
May 2, 2014

lol, nice meltdown

gorki posted:

If the SNP and Plaid are going to be included then should we not have the Northern Ireland parties as well?

:stare:

Before UKIP, that was my point to start with. I only mentioned Plaid because it's the smallest of the bunch, if I'm remembering right.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Lord Twisted posted:

Cabinet v cabinet would be great. If we're forced to pick one of these groups for power, they shouldn't be able to hide the shitters behind closed doors. I would relish Gideon being grilled by Paxman with little prep.

Paxo has retired until M&S up the quality of their undercrackers, so we have to depend on Old brillo pad refusing to take an unrelated answer to a sensible question, then besting the lying bastards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gorki
Aug 9, 2014
Excellent photo in the Guardian:

they're all right, sometimes. he's like a terrifying Roomba

• Locked thread