Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I'd rather they make a well-designed, balanced game with no customisation and a shtick system that makes it incredibly easy to customise archetypes/"design" your own by mashing a bunch of shticks together, than try to provide D&D-style customisation options and make the game less easy to balance and more complicated to make a character for, honestly.

Even a game :spergin: like me agrees with that idea. Leaving the stats alone is fine. Schtick swapping is the way to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

In FS1 the "Scrappy Kid" archetype could take the Sorcery skill instead of Kung Fu, and the current One Shots is using characters from when they first played it. So it kinda got grandfathered in.

(Tommy Euphrates is the best character)

As for customization...I think that with a game like FS, part of the buy-in is "you're all playing action movie stereotypes". FS isn't a game about large-scale customization like, say, D&D or Fate.

That being said, I doubt that swapping shticks around for starting characters won't really be a game-destroying hassle.

Okay I'm not really familiar with FS1 and only skimmed the archetype section last night before falling asleep and was re-listening today today to try and figure out which one she was using. But having a chance to look at the Scrappy Kid in the draft rules I don't think they do that anymore and I was under the assumption that One Shot is using the draft rules to show everyone FS2 and just listening to some of the things she's used like observe chi I think that's the archetype being used for Action Angel La La, I'm sorely tempted to ask which archetype she is using for that in their comments section to find out since I think highlighting that as an option is a way to get at least one person I know to give it a shot.

But you're right the game isn't about large scale customization, and any customization you want is pretty easily as far as just swapping out a skill name, like if you wanted to be the Everyman Noodle shop owner just change the type of info your skills are in like from classic rock to types of noodles or what have you. A different gun to make you less Dirty Harry and more like Martin Riggs.

Even if swapping shticks around is game destroying...well that's totally an action movie thing.

(Agreed Tommy Euphrates is the best, love the one liners.)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

KomradeX posted:

Okay I'm not really familiar with FS1 and only skimmed the archetype section last night before falling asleep and was re-listening today today to try and figure out which one she was using. But having a chance to look at the Scrappy Kid in the draft rules I don't think they do that anymore and I was under the assumption that One Shot is using the draft rules to show everyone FS2 and just listening to some of the things she's used like observe chi I think that's the archetype being used for Action Angel La La, I'm sorely tempted to ask which archetype she is using for that in their comments section to find out since I think highlighting that as an option is a way to get at least one person I know to give it a shot.
One Shot used first used these characters a year or two ago for a FS1 game, and sorcery worked a lot differently. That's why she still has the magic stuff.

To make a Scrappy Kid a magician in the draft, just replace "Martial Arts" with "Sorcery" and replace the three martial arts shticks with Chi Blast and two more sorcery shticks.

Basically Action Angel is a Scrappy Kid, Tommy is an Everyman Hero, and Inspector Jackie is a Karate Cop.

quote:

(Agreed Tommy Euphrates is the best, love the one liners.)
He is loving nailing the one-liners.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Holy poo poo Feng Shui godzilla

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

dwarf74 posted:

Holy poo poo Feng Shui godzilla
And/or possibly Post-Apocalyptic Pokemon :aaa:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Why can't it be both?

GIPSY DANGER, I CHOOSE YOU!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

CapnAndy posted:

And/or possibly Post-Apocalyptic Pokemon :aaa:
Holy poo poo, that's amazing.

Now we need kung fu mecha.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

dwarf74 posted:

So basically this guy? :v:

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So basically this guy? :v:

Master Asia is never not the right answer.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Someone in the comments mentioned that the kaiju juncture resembles Gammarauders, which is a nostalgic favorite of mine. And now I'm even more pumped.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Has anyone had experience running the Full Metal Nutball? Bag Full of Guns seems a lot more fictional and interesting than just saying "you have one of every gun in the book," I'm curious how fun it is in actual play.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Has anyone had experience running the Full Metal Nutball? Bag Full of Guns seems a lot more fictional and interesting than just saying "you have one of every gun in the book," I'm curious how fun it is in actual play.
In the playtest, it was terrible. I actively steered my players away from it.

This one looks awesome, though.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

dwarf74 posted:

Yeah, I'm really hoping we get an archetype or two for the pop-up junctures.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

They'd have to be a really unique one to not just fit one of the existing ones.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Galaga Galaxian posted:

They'd have to be a really unique one to not just fit one of the existing ones.
I'm not sure anything we've got entirely works for fightin' Martians, and there's definitely no monster-tamers (or even hunters, I don't think the Exorcist Monk is a right fit here), and between the samurai, barbarians, and musketeers, Sword Master is getting crammed to the bursting point with disparate styles.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
edit: oops, the Kaiju pop-up was already mentioned.

Vulpes Vulpes fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 2, 2014

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

$121K, so Blowing Up The Movies is unlocked and we're less than $3K away from kaiju :dance:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Furious George vs. Gamera needs to happen.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Only after he hit him with a Embiggening Beam.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

128K!

UNLEASH THE MOTHERFUCKIN' KAIJU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
George is big enough and furious enough not to need any growth beams. And now he will have a chance to prove it!

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
So a new minibook has been announced (the secrets of the Chi War) and the next goal is to expand it.

edit: The book is an e-book, and is part of the base pledge for $10 and up

SirFozzie fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 7, 2014

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I really wish they would let people who pledged for the GM screen throw in a 15 dollar kicker and get those mini-essays collected into another print book. FATE was nice enough to do that.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It might just not have been requested - if you send them a message and ask they might let you do that.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

So now there's gonna be junctures at 1937, 1976, and 2014. I want to get three other people together and run a party that's all the same character as a Scrappy Kid, Martial Artist, and Old Master. Our team motto can be "causality can suck it!"

Also you're basically missing a golden opportunity if you're GMing and you don't have your Dragons run into younger versions of their allies, and maybe help one of them out a bit so that when they get back, oops, the reclusive old kung fu master now runs a nation-wide chain of dojos!

Oh wait, oh my God, that could actually be a plot complication. Dawei Lo is a down-on-his-luck former archaelogist who once discovered a wonderous artifact that the players need to stop the latest Lotus plot, but he went broke in the 80s and was reduced to selling off his treasures, and now he doesn't know where they could be and anyway, why should he help out a bunch of random strangers, gently caress off. The players must travel back to 1976 and lateral shift him so that in 2014 he'll be a respected professor emeritus who'll remember the players fondly and let them borrow a piece from his collection. God, there's potential here with the densely packed junctures.

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 8, 2014

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

CapnAndy posted:

So now there's gonna be junctures at 1937, 1976, and 2014. I want to get three other people together and run a party that's all the same character as a Scrappy Kid, Martial Artist, and Old Master. Our team motto can be "causality can suck it!"

:aaa:

Also, so I'm not just emptyquoting, Robin's said that if you're going to do add-ons, it's easier for them to manage if you add to your pledge for them now. Unfortunately, I can't find the frigging post where he said this because G+'s search function is rear end.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

CapnAndy posted:

I remember an adventure like that in the old Franco-Belgian comic Valerian. The Hero, a space-time cop, teams up with a kid and an old man version of himself to defeat some weird labyrinth puzzle machine.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

You know who else did that? Wonder Woman.

Teamed up with Wonder Girl and Wonder Tot all the time.

...no, really. Wonder Tot.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Oct 8, 2014

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
I finally backed the kickstarter. How long does it usually take them to send out the rules draft?

Edit: Nevermind, I just got it.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

So with 600 dollars to go until Blowing up the Movies V, they added a few more Stretch goals with 4 days left.

quote:

LOCKED – $146,000 – Secrets of the Chi War II: Harlem Beatdown, NYC 1973

It’s 1973. The Big Apple has a rotten core and the chrono-locals need Dragon help sticking it to the Man. Shoot it out with corrupt cops across 110th Street. Beat down Order-backed pimps and pushers in Sugar Hill. Kick transformed animal rear end as you hurtle through the subway tunnels beneath Manhattan. Bring kung fu justice to the people of the Empire City… or it's going to be Hell up in Harlem. If this stretch goal is unlocked, we'll add the Harlem Beatdown pop-up juncture to the Secrets of the Chi War PDF.

LOCKED – $148,500 – Blowing Up the Movies VI

At this stretch goal level, Robin expands Blowing Up the Movies, the ebook of essays on importing classic action movie style into your games, with pieces on street-level gangster flick Young and Dangerous 2, and latter-day heroic bloodshed revival SPL, aka Killpoint.

Holy crap do I really hope they can at least get to the next Stretch Goal but I don't know if they can do a thousand dollars a day to make it. But with how wildly successful this Kickstarter has been maybe they can pull it off.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

KomradeX posted:

So with 600 dollars to go until Blowing up the Movies V, they added a few more Stretch goals with 4 days left.

Holy crap do I really hope they can at least get to the next Stretch Goal but I don't know if they can do a thousand dollars a day to make it. But with how wildly successful this Kickstarter has been maybe they can pull it off.

There's always a big upswing in backers in the last two days when the 48-hour reminder goes out.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
I would rather have had the Harlem Beatdown than the Summer of Love ato be honest.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

There's always a big upswing in backers in the last two days when the 48-hour reminder goes out.

Well considering they're almost at the Blowing up the movies VI, I guess I underestimated how many people could still be into this project. I'm just stunned at it's run away success.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I would rather have had the Harlem Beatdown than the Summer of Love ato be honest.

Between this and Spirit of '77 I;m looking forward to running a ton of 70s Blaxsploitation and action movie games

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The remaining stretch goals have been revealed on the off chance they're hit:

quote:

$148,500 – Blowing Up the Movies VI
$151,500 - SotCW IV - Blowing Up Chang'an
$154,500 - Blowing Up the Movies VII
$157,500 - SotCW V - The Lotus & the Poppy Adventure
$160,500 - Blowing Up the Movies VIII
$163,000 - Online Mook Sheet Generator
$166,000 - SotCW VI - Magic City Rumble: Miami ‘86 Pop-Up Juncture
$169,000 - SotCW VII - Blowing Up Apeworld
$172,000 - SotCW VIII - Blowing Up Seoul
$175,000 - SotCW IX - Warring States Pop-Up Juncture
$178,000 - SotCW X - Blowing Up the GeneZone
$181,000 - SotCW XI - Blowing Up the Pagodas
$184,000 - SotCW XII - What Really Killed the Dinosaurs Pop-Up Juncture
$187,000 - SotCW XIII - Blowing Up Bollywood
$190,000 - SotCW XIV - Blowing Up the Underworld
$193,000 - SotCW XV - Three Kingdoms Pop-Up Juncture
$196,000 - SotCW XVI - Blowing Up Shanghai
$199,000 - SotCW XVII - Legacy of the Architects
$202,000 - SotCW XV - To Me, My G-Men! Adventure
$205,000 - SotCW XVI - Blowing Up Macao
$208,000 - SotCW XVII - Blowing Up Bangkok
$211,000 - SotCW XVIII - Deja Vu All Over Again: Hong Kong ‘96 Pop-Up Juncture

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Man I wish Hong Kong 96 was lower.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I wish I could afford the add-ons I want. :smith:

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Evil Mastermind posted:

I wish I could afford the add-ons I want. :smith:

Yeah, I've been thinking exactly how much I could afford vs how much I actually need these things for the last week. Now, it's worse because some of those pop-up junctures look fun.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

At the very least I think I want the shot tracker and the sheets. I wish they'd say flat-out if the add-ons will be available after the KS.

e: I asked Robin:

quote:

GM screen definitely. Dice, shot counter and archetype sheets will depend on retailer demand. This may in turn depend on Atlas' ability to source packaging that works for retail at an acceptable cost.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Oct 15, 2014

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I gotta thank whoever recommended Sleeping Dogs as inspiration for Feng Shui. It's basically Karate Cop: The Game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I hold no hope for the '96 juncture, but drat I hope we reach the Miami Vice one. :swoon:

• Locked thread