Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

Why do you start with your hands like you're a waiter holding an extremely expensive bottle of wine?

I'm basically just protecting my lapels. It's a really common hand position in judo and sambo.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Oct 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

Well, at least now it's over.
Nice work Mecha! Some really clean sweeps there, and good discretionary use of power.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
I think it's pretty interesting that it feels like most grapple goons land from out north, out west, and Florida. (Me from Kansas and Australia goons not withstanding)

I also dig that it seems that finding a good coach isn't too hard of a thing to do in a big city. Then again I guess the people training in Big John White Dragon's Take Kwon Do/Krav Maga/Ninjitsu/MMA/BJJ don't post much.

I started MMA in a kinda crazy gym affiliated with Lloyd Irving. He's the impotent rapist, right? Now my Kansas school is associated with Nova Unaio. Seems like half the Brazilian gyms have that association somewhere.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Also any good mouthpiece recommendations? I think the double I have for sparring is a bit much and it's hard to breath from. After my mouth got busted open on my lower teeth I feel like a mouthguard would be prudent.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Captain Log posted:

Also any good mouthpiece recommendations? I think the double I have for sparring is a bit much and it's hard to breath from. After my mouth got busted open on my lower teeth I feel like a mouthguard would be prudent.

I use a sisu but I had to resize it and shape it twice because it kept digging into my gums. Other than that it's been really good.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
does anyone else train but have zero interest in jiu jitsu as a sport? I've tried watching matches but they're pretty dull to me (though I've watched excellent BJJ heavy MMA matches).

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

ICHIBAHN posted:

does anyone else train but have zero interest in jiu jitsu as a sport? I've tried watching matches but they're pretty dull to me (though I've watched excellent BJJ heavy MMA matches).

Try watching a submission only tournament, less holding. Metamoris and EBI are both awesome. I'm sure you can find the metamoris events by now and Eddie's thing is free on his YouTube page.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I will do. cheers. much prefer watching no gi stuff. looks better, cleaner

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
Check out ADCC as well. Plenty of videos up on Youtube, here and here.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

My favourite thing to do is watch videos of world class grapplers wrecking poo poo at tournaments.

Here's Shinya Aoki: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4AhdiCUXtE and here's Genki Sudo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45-tkN4bFYc

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

ICHIBAHN posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7DLFqLCFqg

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

ICHIBAHN posted:

Almost every bjj tournament I watch includes me dicking around on a 2nd device when it hits slow moments. Just kinda the nature of the sport.

I think the only events I've been able to maintain total focus are metamoris because of the sub only and single fight ruleset encouraging going after it for the full 20.

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon

Mechafunkzilla posted:

There was a pretty big experience gap in my division so I was basically going light and making sure nobody hurt themselves trying to throw me, haha.

Yeah you look like you didn't even break a sweat. I'm curious what the 'moving push hands' is that's announced in the video.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Undeclared Eggplant posted:

Yeah you look like you didn't even break a sweat. I'm curious what the 'moving push hands' is that's announced in the video.

Competitive Tai Chi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABfWCfex7ss

Contrast with the fixed push hands rule set:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha8lS1B7sGs

From the looks of his Shuai Jiao showing, Mechafunkzilla probably could've run the table on Push Hands as well.

Sprecherscrow fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Oct 13, 2014

eshock
Sep 2, 2004

Fat Twitter Man posted:

Jason Lambert is actually a pretty cool guy.

This is true, he's a great coach and probably the nicest guy in the gym.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

ahaha god drat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWcFyBpaVqA

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

i honestly thought that was a chick in the dude's absolute at the start. the reality was stranger.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

ICHIBAHN posted:

Lots of words that don't mean anything. If you're intentionally hurting someone, you're a thug.

These are my morals, they're different to yours but they're not going to change no matter what color belt i wear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILCNAln_7Z4

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

Someday I hope to win "Most Honorable Participant" at a BJJ tournament.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
We've moved past moralschat into 100-pound-difference woman's finals chat. Was that match from 2013? If so, wasn't Garcia DQ'd shortly after for being full of PEDs?

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Memento posted:

We've moved past moralschat into 100-pound-difference woman's finals chat. Was that match from 2013? If so, wasn't Garcia DQ'd shortly after for being full of PEDs?

No, that match is from last week. They've fought before though. Garcia did fail a drug test in 2013 but I think they decided it was due to fertility drugs or something so she didn't get a competition ban, but was still stripped of her medal.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

colonel_korn posted:

No, that match is from last week. They've fought before though. Garcia did fail a drug test in 2013 but I think they decided it was due to fertility drugs or something so she didn't get a competition ban, but was still stripped of her medal.

Haha, yeah, fertility drugs. Right.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Memento posted:

Garcia doesn't look human and routinely wins matches solely because she can power out of submissions. There's no doubt she's pumped herself full of more peds than chael sonnen has ever dreamed of.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
As I've said before, Gabi is pretty obviously on PEDs but she'd have a ridiculous physical advantage even without them. Steroids didn't make her 6'5".

Pwny_Xpress
Nov 17, 2006

WEC Never Die

fatherdog posted:

As I've said before, Gabi is pretty obviously on PEDs but she'd have a ridiculous physical advantage even without them. Steroids didn't make her 6'5".

Is there even a weight class for that beast? Holy mother of all things.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Pwny_Xpress posted:

Well, I saw somewhere that she's 237, so basically she's the same weight as your current UFC Heavyweight Champion Cain Velasquez.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Has Gabi ever lost? I can't find anytthing

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

origami posted:

Has Gabi ever lost? I can't find anytthing

http://www.bjjheroes.com/bjj-fighters/gabrielle-garcia-bjj

Says 2 losses back in 2009 by points.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

I think this is one of them, though it doesn't show the ending.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ4u4ANrXis#t=1m50s

linked to the only part really worth watching. Hope you like Lenny Kravitz.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

fatherdog posted:

That's what makes her juicing so egregious.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Pwny_Xpress posted:

There is, but last week she was the only entrant in it so she had no matches against anyone her size. I believe this is a regular occurrence.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I can't wait for fertility drugs to make its way to men's MMA as an excuse.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

I can't wait for fertility drugs to make its way to men's MMA as an excuse.

chael sonnen tried to use it as an excuse already.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I'd like to see Gabi work here way up through the men's weight classes at panams or ADCC. Start with the smallest weight class and then work her way up until she starts losing more frequently. Then she can just compete there for the rest of her career.

I wanna see her against Marcelo.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I wanna see her against Marcelo.

here you go, mute it. Awful music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxX2CRRL9cw

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

That's great. You can tell he's not even going 50% for most of the video (he lets her reverse him a bunch of times where he clearly just decided it wasn't worth getting hurt if she hulked through the technique) and he still gets on top and (nearly? kinda hard to see from that angle)subs her at the end.

That said, I really want to see what she looks like against the boys in an actual competition and the men are putting in their full effort. I want to see how far a woman can go on hulk strength and average technique.

widunder
May 2, 2002
I flunked out of Jiu-Jitsu University.

widunder fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 14, 2014

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

That's great. You can tell he's not even going 50% for most of the video (he lets her reverse him a bunch of times where he clearly just decided it wasn't worth getting hurt if she hulked through the technique) and he still gets on top and (nearly? kinda hard to see from that angle)subs her at the end.

That said, I really want to see what she looks like against the boys in an actual competition and the men are putting in their full effort. I want to see how far a woman can go on hulk strength and average technique.

she is likely very slightly weaker than a dude of comparable size/body composition, so. about exactly as far as a dude of similar size/technique level.

A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

Well, at least now it's over.

There's no sub- Marcelo's 5m timer goes off, which is why they stop there. And actually I don't think I see Marcelo give her anything intentionally. He's not rolling like that because he's intimidated by her size&strength and worried she'll hurt him, that's just how he moves all the time. He's strategically opposed to struggling, that's the best way I can put it. He's choosing to get swept to his seated guard instead of trying to fight a losing battle and landing in a worse position. That's my interpretation anyway!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

A Wry Smile posted:

There's no sub- Marcelo's 5m timer goes off, which is why they stop there. And actually I don't think I see Marcelo give her anything intentionally. He's not rolling like that because he's intimidated by her size&strength and worried she'll hurt him, that's just how he moves all the time. He's strategically opposed to struggling, that's the best way I can put it. He's choosing to get swept to his seated guard instead of trying to fight a losing battle and landing in a worse position. That's my interpretation anyway!

Ah, I had the sound off and didn't hear the timer. I know that's Marcelo's style, but I thought I saw a couple spots where if he'd pushed just a little bit he would have taken her back or mounted her. Of course, I'm not Marcelo Garcia so I'm not going to pretend that my analysis is anything greater than amateur speculation.