Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

we should all have gone ucs-2 and told a few people and their idiotic writing systems to go gently caress themselves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
.NET doesn't have checked exceptions because, and this is either actually documented or straight from Herb Sutter's mouth, they preferred to emphasize unwinding as opposed to catching, hence IDisposable and C#'s using. myself I wonder how true it actually is, because e.g. Stream clearly didn't start as IDisposable, and IDisposable is a massive pain to implement requiring a lot of obscure boilerplate. RAII and GC don't mix well, and an interface may not be the best way to add RAII to .NET (you're supposed to propagate IDisposable to container objects, i.e. an object that contains IDisposables should be IDisposable itself) but vOv. At least FxCop will scream at you for getting the boilerplate wrong

.NET doesn't have an equivalent of RuntimeException or even Error and that's extremely infortunate, because tools like FxCop then have to keep a hardcoded list of exceptions that you shouldn't catch

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
idisposable only helps w/ cleanup after an exception (assuming you implemented it right). it doesn't help you deal with the exception. but personally I think it works fine for what its intended for and is far better than relying on a destructor to do your cleanup.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Shaggar posted:

also I love that the way you do exception handling in c# is:
1) wait for something to take out prod
2) add handling for that specific exception
3) wait for the next thing to take out prod
4) repeat

OR

1) catch and swallow all exceptions a the top level and knowingly take out prod.

Here's a fun one:

those are how many crashes and exceptions were met in some of our product. The bars on the left are roughly 666 times (:black101:) higher than on the right. And I'm talking going from hundreds of thousands of exceptions a day to hundreds.

All of these were uncaught (they'd still get automatically logged, they were just unhandled), none of them ever took down production.

The reason for this? On some proxying logic somewhere, we had set a couple of assertions about the internal state a request could have. That state basically stored whether data was already sent on the wire, to make sure you never get in a scenario where you halfway push someone an HTTP response (say HTTP/1.1 200 OK \\ some-header: some-val \\ ...) and suddenly, due to an error (say the backend sends invalid gibberish), you don't start piping in a 502 Bad Gateway through the established request.

In 99% of the cases, this was handled right, but it turned out we had a corner case where it wasn't. This was more or less an example case of "one in a million events, over billion of events". The exception made it so the connection was properly closed (it killed the process in charge, deallocated the sockets, etc. which would happen on most errors anyway), and was cleanly logged it. Whenever we had enough human bandwidth to take care of this minor bug, we did, and it went away (hence the mid-september drops).

And you can see we still get a stable amount of exceptions every day. We know what they are, we know what triggers them, we know their importance, and we know the system lives fine without them (they mostly happen when people send random garbage on the line or get disconnected halfway through an HTTP request line, for example, nothing we can prevent except by not logging it).

So our process is more or less:

1) wait for something to be logged
2) add handling for that specific exception
3) wait for the next thing to be logged
4) repeat

The big point item I see there, though, is that in my environment, I'm fine and extremely comfortable leaving assertions there in running code. They let me ensure pre- and post-conditions for work are met, and if they are violated, something has gone terribly wrong and I should stop it ASAP. You don't keep going when you're on bad state, the same way that when you drink milk that has gone bad, your first reaction is to stop, not to keep chugging and go "but milk is supposed to be good for me!"

I'm also entirely comfortable letting exceptions happen, log it, rollback to a stable state, and move on to the next tasks. We're able to grow our systems over months, even though they aren't perfect out of the box (they'll never be). In fact, eating up exceptions in a defensive manner is seen as a terrible practice in our team because they are a great way to mess up your state in subtle ways and make things worse.

If we were smart enough in the first place, there would be no need for the exception to be raised. When we know how and why it gets raised (and how often!), then we can start handling it. We also have the huge benefit that we run the software we write, we don't ship it to remote places where we can't update it, and we don't do life-critical stuff either.

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>
rust seems cool

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

vapid cutlery posted:

rust seems cool

ya, one of these days i'll give it a proper go. the syntax is just so bad coming from haskell though, it's so cluttered

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>
seems more useful than haskell

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i thought rust was basically "go except better" but come to think of it i kinda want to give go another look, just because it handles concurrency the correct way

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

i keep seeing people talk about go and rust and i just cant find myself giving a gently caress about them

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
^- (unit hole)
=+ ^= cok ^- (list ,@t)
=+ cok=(~(get by mah) 'cookie')
?~(cok ~ u.cok)
|- ^- (unit hole)
?~ cok ~

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

AlsoD posted:

ya, one of these days i'll give it a proper go. the syntax is just so bad coming from haskell though, it's so cluttered

ya but haskell is so different it scares ppl

syntactic redundancy is not bad, helps until it gets oppressive

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

fritz posted:

i keep seeing people talk about go and rust and i just cant find myself giving a gently caress about them

Go's syntax feels like a huge step backwards.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

AlsoD posted:

If you're going to compare syntax you should compare the syntax for using arrays.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

hackbunny posted:

.NET doesn't have checked exceptions because, and this is either actually documented or straight from Herb Sutter's mouth, they preferred to emphasize unwinding as opposed to catching, hence IDisposable and C#'s using. myself I wonder how true it actually is, because e.g. Stream clearly didn't start as IDisposable, and IDisposable is a massive pain to implement requiring a lot of obscure boilerplate. RAII and GC don't mix well, and an interface may not be the best way to add RAII to .NET (you're supposed to propagate IDisposable to container objects, i.e. an object that contains IDisposables should be IDisposable itself) but vOv. At least FxCop will scream at you for getting the boilerplate wrong

.NET doesn't have an equivalent of RuntimeException or even Error and that's extremely infortunate, because tools like FxCop then have to keep a hardcoded list of exceptions that you shouldn't catch

the number of people who need to use IDisposable >> the number of people who need to implement IDisposable, though

(by "implement it" i mean the boilerplate version, not just propagating inner IDisposables)

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Zombywuf posted:

If you're going to compare syntax you should compare the syntax for using arrays.

is use of lens a pro or a con?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

triple sulk posted:

Go's syntax feels like a huge step backwards.

go has an incredibly terrible name

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Malcolm XML posted:

ya but haskell is so different it scares ppl

syntactic redundancy is not bad, helps until it gets oppressive

>>=

>> >> >> >> !%=

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

AlsoD posted:

is use of lens a pro or a con?

the fact that you'd even ask that speaks volumes

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
one thing I like w/ IDisposable/using is you can use it for transactions too

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Zombywuf posted:

the fact that you'd even ask that speaks volumes

lol

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
listen if you're too dumb to come up with an algorithm that doesnt require random access then you deserve to eat the log n lookup

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

Mr Dog posted:

i thought rust was basically "go except better" but come to think of it i kinda want to give go another look, just because it handles concurrency the correct way

i thought go's channels were surprisingly bad for being one of the languages distinguishing features

i actually think concurrent programming will be easier in Rust. channels being unidirectional is a nice improvement already

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Gazpacho posted:

^- (unit hole)
=+ ^= cok ^- (list ,@t)
?~(cok ~ u.cok)
|- ^- (unit hole)
?~ cok ~

what did you just say about my mah :mad:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

prefect posted:

go has an incredibly terrible name

rust isn't much better

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

FamDav posted:

listen if you're too dumb to come up with an algorithm that doesnt require random access then you deserve to eat the log n lookup

linked lists need random access

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
yeah rust's name is pretty crap

let's choose a name for our technology and engineering thing that has negative connotations in technology and engineering

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
programming languages ought to be named after shock images. that'll show those kids looking for documentation

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
do you think goatse would be garbage collected or pointers + RAII

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

tubgirl would be a recursive language with garbage collection

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

MononcQc posted:

:eyepop::eyepop::eyepop::eyepop::eyepop::eyepop::eyepop:

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

MononcQc posted:

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Gazpacho posted:

^- (unit hole)
=+ ^= cok ^- (list ,@t)
?~(cok ~ u.cok)
|- ^- (unit hole)
?~ cok ~

i'm still trying to work out if this is haskell with lens or not. the ,@t and single quoted string means that i suspect the latter

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

AlsoD posted:

i'm still trying to work out if this is haskell with lens or not. the ,@t and single quoted string means that i suspect the latter
isn't it that thing by the crazy dude who thinks jesus talks to him through his rng

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

suffix posted:

i thought go's channels were surprisingly bad for being one of the languages distinguishing features

i actually think concurrent programming will be easier in Rust. channels being unidirectional is a nice improvement already

at this point rust's concurrency lib is somewhere between an afterthought and a leftover from a couple releases ago

it might still work out better than go

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
fun fact: google doesn't use any of the go builtin dependency resolution internally. they also believe always building from HEAD puts the onus on the library writers to have a stable API :)

not sure how i feel about cargo. on the one hand it does as much as i would expect from an open source build tool, on the other hand i want so much more :(.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

MononcQc posted:

Nice!

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

Shaggar posted:

one thing I like w/ IDisposable/using is you can use it for transactions too

i enjoy the hell out of abusing idisposable to do stupid things with using blocks

you've given me an RAII substitute and syntactic sugar for it, i'm going to come up with the dumbest things possible to do in my dispose methods

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

maybe i want to log something on function exit, let's just alloc a logger object with the method name so that when i leave this using block it spews out the exit text

looks better than a finally block!!

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

the only downside is now all your methods have implicit finally blocks, you're always in one, and you can't unload appdomains if they're running code with a finally

well, that's certainly not the only downside

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

i'm :mad: at cargo because they have a principled stance about not letting you pass compiler flags directly to rustc