Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grope-A-Matic
Nov 16, 2008

sigh... you really suck at hand
to hand combat i wont lie and
this is way more challenging
then i thought it would be. to
teach you hand to hand combat,
alright i will try to teach you
some more hand to hand combat

"They both dead broke"? Aren't the Clintons worth like $100M? I know the GOP isn't exactly known for its sterling sense of humor, but that joke doesn't even make sense on its face :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nintendo Kid posted:

A lot of people don't seem to be understanding that what Shbobdb is saying is that the only thing abstinence education manages is slightly reduced amounts of sex (coupled with higher teen pregnancy and higher rates of STDs), while actual sex education heavily reduces teenage pregnancy and STD transmission.

Making all forms of birth control including IUDs to teens has also proven very effective at reducing teen pregnancy (and therefore number of abortions) but abstinence education isn't about safe sex it's about making sex seem dangerous and shameful.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
I remember this campaign flier from a Vietnamese Liberal in Australia (I think it was somewhere near Melbourne?) saying something along the lines of "I came here on a boat from Vietnam and bootstrapped my way up!"

The first point on his campaign pledges: "STOP THE BOATS". :ironicat:

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 14, 2014

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

zoux posted:

I'm curious how do anti immigration Aussies justify the fact that white people have lived in Australia for a little over 200 years?

"It's ours now."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh right I forgot conservatives can do that thing where they believe two diametrically opposed ideas simultaneously in their heads without being torn apart by the conflict.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Grope-A-Matic posted:

"They both dead broke"? Aren't the Clintons worth like $100M? I know the GOP isn't exactly known for its sterling sense of humor, but that joke doesn't even make sense on its face :psyduck:

Hillary said in an interview this year that, after they left the White House, she and Bill were both "dead broke". The GOP is making fun of her for saying this.

Grope-A-Matic
Nov 16, 2008

sigh... you really suck at hand
to hand combat i wont lie and
this is way more challenging
then i thought it would be. to
teach you hand to hand combat,
alright i will try to teach you
some more hand to hand combat

Nintendo Kid posted:

A lot of people don't seem to be understanding that what Shbobdb is saying is that the only thing abstinence education manages is slightly reduced amounts of sex (coupled with higher teen pregnancy and higher rates of STDs), while actual sex education heavily reduces teenage pregnancy and STD transmission.

I think we understand what Shbobdb is saying. It's just that Shbobdb's conclusion, based on studies linked, seems somewhat dubious. See Munkeymon's post. Not only does abstinence-only education lead to higher rates of teen pregnancy and STDs, it doesn't even lead to more abstinence.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Conservatives have been jizzing over this new ad by Australia

This is really mean, I can't believe how spiteful and angry the messaging is. Militia members in the US might fantasize about shooting" illegals" but it is always dressed up and at least given lip service as some sort of weird defense of existence / way of life thing. This ad is just plain "gently caress you we hate you".

In Biden news, event didn't start until an hour and a half after I showed up and the program had him another hour down the list. I don't fancy losing my job so I had to bail, also I wasn't on the picture list. :(

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Sex ed in my area was kind of amusing. In elementary school we had real sex ed, talking about how things work, the risks realistically and different forms of birth control etc.

Then in high school there was an "abstinence only" seminar we were all required to attend. There was much hushed laughing at the presenter as a large portion of the student body had been having sex for years by that point.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Cheekio posted:

I thought only half of adults were uncomfortable with anal sex.

If only they'd just relax a little.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

quote:

I'm curious how do anti immigration Aussies justify the fact that white people have lived in Australia for a little over 200 years?
What's interesting to me is to hear Japanese-Americans here in Hawaii doing this. Any immigrant group that arrived at the same time as them = ok, any immigrant that arrived afterwards = lazy good-for-nothings destroying Hawaii. And we're just talking about a span of a few generations at most.

edit: dunno what their opinions are about native Hawaiians though.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Oct 14, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

What's interesting to me is to hear Japanese-Americans here in Hawaii doing this. Any immigrant group that arrived at the same time as them = ok, any immigrant that arrived afterwards = lazy good-for-nothings destroying Hawaii. And we're just talking about a span of a few generations at most.

There are second generation Hispanic Americans who think the same thing with respect to current Hispanic immigrants.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

zoux posted:

Oh right I forgot conservatives can do that thing where they believe two diametrically opposed ideas simultaneously in their heads without being torn apart by the conflict.

That ability is pretty universal :ssh:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

That ability is pretty universal :ssh:
To me, it's not even an ability, it's just the brain we are all born with. The ability, which takes training, is to make all the different thoughts and opinions in your head consistent with each other.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Khisanth Magus posted:

Sex ed in my area was kind of amusing. In elementary school we had real sex ed, talking about how things work, the risks realistically and different forms of birth control etc.

Then in high school there was an "abstinence only" seminar we were all required to attend. There was much hushed laughing at the presenter as a large portion of the student body had been having sex for years by that point.

Everybody talks about elementry & HS sex ed, but all I ever had was one section of Biology devoted to it in the 7th grade. It was simple poo poo (This is what sex is, here are diseases you can catch, here are form of birth control and the various pros/cons) and then we moved on. No fuss, just another biology topic. I think the only indicator it was a touchy subject was that at the beginning the teacher passed out waivers and more or less said "If your parents don't want you learning this... well they're idiots, but hey, that's their prerogative and they can decline to sign this form. You still have to pass the exam though, so let them know they'll have to give you the same level of knowledge at home." :allears:

Oh, and I took health online through BYU to get my health class credit in HS. It was way more objective than you'd expect from such a school and did discuss forms of birth control, but it still had a very obvious pro-abstinence slant. :shrug:

Samurai Sanders posted:

This is everybody ever because "gently caress you, got mine" is part of the human condition. It's the same reason why every generation thinks they worked harder than the generation that comes after them. Everybody shits on Boomers now, but give it 40 years and Millennials will be complaining that these lazy Gen Z3'ers are going to ruin the world once they finally kick it.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
I'll tell my future kids that it was my parent's generation that hosed up.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Jerry Brown is murdering children by drowning them in swimming pools :stare:

Then again, considering the entire state is in a drought, a swim might be a nice luxury for the kid :shrug:

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Xibanya posted:

There's a vas deferens between a man and a woman.
Heh.

Also, can I just say that of all the stupid poo poo we've been derailed by this is by far the most entertaining and harmless. I never thought I'd type these words out but...I want to hear Amergin's thoughts on this as well.

ReidRansom posted:

So, who are the target for this ad? Like where are they going to post it? If it's just internet then laffo, and for some reason I doubt they'll be posting it physically in boat people origin countries.
No man, they just dump laminated shipments of them all around the waters of Australia. That way, when people trying to smuggle themselves in grab one out of the water they'll go "oh darn, I guess they don't want us here. Let's go home."

Then there's a brief but poignant pause.

Then everybody on the boat laughs and says "gently caress that, there are people trying to kill us back home."

InequalityGodzilla fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 14, 2014

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

zoux posted:

There are second generation Hispanic Americans who think the same thing with respect to current Hispanic immigrants.

There are immigrants from Latin America who think this about immigrants from Latin America who arrived more than three weeks after them.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Evil Fluffy posted:

The same way we do in America? "We control it now so gently caress the rest of you."

If my Aussie friend is any indication, it's: "Fukkin' Abbos."

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Joementum posted:

Jerry Brown is murdering children by drowning them in swimming pools :stare:

Then again, considering the entire state is in a drought, a swim might be a nice luxury for the kid :shrug:

Kashkari's still behind 20 points :laffo:

anyway I just turned in my mail-in ballot and it felt good to vote against this populist-wannabe rear end in a top hat.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

The Warszawa posted:

There are immigrants from Latin America who think this about immigrants from Latin America who arrived more than three weeks after them.
Not to mention Latin Americans who are bigoted against folks from other Latin American nations.

"Oh well, yeah we crossed illegally and all. But <X Nation> is a lot more respectable/civil/cultured than <Y nation> because they don't even speak the right kind of spanish!"

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the day, "Now I'm afraid to drink it, I'm so excited about the pig." ~ Hillary Clinton

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Not to mention Latin Americans who are bigoted against folks from other Latin American nations.

"Oh well, yeah we crossed illegally and all. But <X Nation> is a lot more respectable/civil/cultured than <Y nation> because they don't even speak the right kind of spanish!"

I think we can all agree we all hate Bolivians.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

All those countries are the same right? And I mean the other day some New Zealanders got angry when I called them Canadians. Geez get over yourselves it's the same language!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

hobbesmaster posted:

All those countries are the same right? And I mean the other day some New Zealanders got angry when I called them Canadians. Geez get over yourselves it's the same language!
Kiwifuckers are kiwifuckers.

But yeah, it's not like a common language would unite people in some small way, or possibly allow them to look past nationality when it comes to a common problem they face, or even allow them to drop off a high horse when they realize that others have it just as bad.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
I have faith that people will always find excuses to be assholes.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm only mad that the local Ethiopian population seem to be universally bad at driving (#firstworldproblems!).

Also super confused at how a bunch of people from an equatorial country ended up in Minnesota, but their food is good so whatever.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

baw posted:

Looks like the next scandal is going to be the White House covering for an aid (who is the son of a major donor) hiring a prostitute. The WaPo article makes it seem like this could actually be a Thing.

Do Dem voters care about some guy hiring a hooker? The repubs that do weren't going to vote D anyway...

Something I didn't see in tech mogul chat is that having schools buy their poo poo helps their wallet right away as well as the down-the-road benefit of loyal idiots.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

But yeah, it's not like a common language would unite people in some small way, or possibly allow them to look past nationality when it comes to a common problem they face, or even allow them to drop off a high horse when they realize that others have it just as bad.

This but unironically.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

effectual posted:

Do Dem voters care about some guy hiring a hooker? The repubs that do weren't going to vote D anyway...

This will surely hurt Obama's chances in 2016.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

FilthyImp posted:

Kiwifuckers are kiwifuckers.

I mean it often does - a lot of advocacy groups that started as nationality centric like MALDEF are now effectively pan-Latino groups, but it's not necessarily universal.

effectual posted:

Something I didn't see in tech mogul chat is that having schools buy their poo poo helps their wallet right away as well as the down-the-road benefit of loyal idiots.

State Department + donor implicated = fundraising bait at least.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

ReidRansom posted:

So, who are the target for this ad?

Xenophobes who want to build a giant wall along United States borders?

Sadly, I have little else to add to the sex ed thread.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

BiggerBoat posted:

Someone post the Song of ICE and Tire plan

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

DemeaninDemon posted:

I'll tell my future kids that it was my parent's generation that hosed up.

I'm telling mine that the world was hosed from the get-go, everyone is an rear end in a top hat, and the only mercy is the certainty of death. :unsmigghh:

mastervj
Feb 25, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

Sadly, as a foreighner, sex-ed chat it really helps me understand the political climate and culture of the USA.

Also makes me want to strangle a good percentage of the teachers involved. And the parents.

And come on, we've had far worse derails.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
US Politics October: The only moral derail is my derail

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Munkeymon posted:

I'm only mad that the local Ethiopian population seem to be universally bad at driving (#firstworldproblems!).

Also super confused at how a bunch of people from an equatorial country ended up in Minnesota, but their food is good so whatever.

Ronnie Reagan had a plan, E T I O E T I O

That plan was selling arms to Siad Barre, G E N O C I D E

And on that plan, he commenced freedom flights to save individuals from the Red Purge, and settled them in cities that he thought were "pussies" who could use a red scare.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

resurgam40 posted:

I'm telling mine that the world was hosed from the get-go, everyone is an rear end in a top hat, and the only mercy is the certainty of death. :unsmigghh:

Well yeah but play off their anger so they don't drown in despair and whiskey like most of us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

mastervj posted:

Sadly, as a foreighner, sex-ed chat it really helps me understand the political climate and culture of the USA.

Also makes me want to strangle a good percentage of the teachers involved. And the parents.

And come on, we've had far worse derails.

I'll give ya one more anecdote. In my high school everyone had to sign a pledge where we promised not to have sex before marriage. Yes, it was a physical piece of paper that we signed our names on and then turned in. And I grew up in the urban area of a blue state. And this was a public school.

• Locked thread