Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I've been wished every success in the future before, and it's never come with an internal transfer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Ghost Hand posted:

Good God Curze looks loving amazing.

Do pictures exist? Can you back that statement up with proof?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Yeah, I heard he's going to a different company locally. It's a shame because it was a nice little store and I liked the people.

I probably should have been going to other stores with more competitive players, but it's a farther drive and :effort:. A sad day. :/

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Finished up the second group of 5 Assault Marines. I've armed two of them with hand flamers, which I'll be using as regular flamers in games of 7th ed 40k. If I ever get to play 2nd ed with these guys, you bet they'll be using those old hand flamer templates though!

And everything I've finished this month:

Next up: Bikers!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

raverrn posted:

But all of those lists have 3 Thunderfires??????

That's the hidden joke. None of those lists really use their heavy slots.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

The Sex Cannon posted:

Do pictures exist? Can you back that statement up with proof?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

PeterWeller posted:

I think you're stretching a bit by implying that a Raven Guard list is anywhere near as competitive as a White Scars or Iron Hands list. I like the Marine codex's variety of options and the fact that there are meaningful differences between the chapters without having to take special characters. But I don't think it is a beacon of excellent design. The balance between the chapter tactics is all out of whack. There are trap choices like vanguard vets. And there are maybe 2 good relics.

Ravenguard rhino rush is awesome. Iron hands is cute but doesn't win games. White Scars are fantastic. Honestly the losers are Ultras (still pretty ballin if you can make the doctrines work) and Fists (no one runs devs, rerolling 1s on bolters isn't going to win games). The sword, armor, and shield are all awesome relics. And yes vanguard vets suck, but that's because all jumpers suck when bikes are good. IT is easily the best 40k book GW has put out since demons for the amount of viable builds in it.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Minotaurs or kill yourself

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Naramyth posted:

Ravenguard rhino rush is awesome. Iron hands is cute but doesn't win games. White Scars are fantastic. Honestly the losers are Ultras (still pretty ballin if you can make the doctrines work) and Fists (no one runs devs, rerolling 1s on bolters isn't going to win games). The sword, armor, and shield are all awesome relics. And yes vanguard vets suck, but that's because all jumpers suck when bikes are good. IT is easily the best 40k book GW has put out since demons for the amount of viable builds in it.
The Primarch's Wrath bolter is also a mad fun upgrade. 15 points for a salvo 3/5 AP4 bolter with Shred rules. I've been taking it on my Terminator Librarian (who'd have to pay 5 points for a stormbolter anyway) and it's awesome. I probably wouldn't put it on anything that wasn't relentless though. Don't forget that the Ultramarines Tactical Doctrine also lets Tactical squads reroll all shooting, not just 1s on bolters. It's my favorite 40k codex altogether.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Naramyth posted:

Okay, so we disagree which tactics are better than others, but we agree that White Scars is great and others aren't so much. I agree it has a lot of viable builds, probably the most, but that's not because of quality of choices, but quantity of choices. It has the same problem of clearly superior choices that every other codex has. It has the same problem of clearly inferior choices that every other codex has. It has one mediocre troop choice, one decent troop choice, one forgettable troop choice, and one great troop choice that needs an unlock, forcing your choice of HQ. There is one obvious best HS choice.

I'm not saying it's a bad book. I'm saying it's not an example of better design compared to other GW books. It suffers from all the same sins as their other books. Those sins are just hidden amidst the volume of material you get from a bigger book that covers 7 semi-distinct sub-factions.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
So I'm thinking about doing a Golden Daemon entry next year - when do people usually start working on theirs? Is there a history of not posting pictures online too soon so people don't copy an idea?

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
One thing about FW that people haven't mentioned is that its target audience is pretty much us; older players who are deep into the hobby and fluff who want a premium product that represent the more niche aspects.

GW prime has a much broader focus and that focus includes a lot of 12 year old boys. Subsequently the fluff is simpler and the models have a different design philosophy.

I mean it's kinda like comparing the movie version to the cartoon version. Both have their merits but at the end of the day mature people are going to find the movie version more appealing.

peep the tumblr
Jun 26, 2009

Cataphract posted:

One thing about FW that people haven't mentioned is that its target audience is pretty much us; older players who are deep into the hobby and fluff who want a premium product that represent the more niche aspects.

GW prime has a much broader focus and that focus includes a lot of 12 year old boys. Subsequently the fluff is simpler and the models have a different design philosophy.

I mean it's kinda like comparing the movie version to the cartoon version. Both have their merits but at the end of the day mature people are going to find the movie version more appealing.

Nah, I'm just poo poo at painting and don't want to spend the extra money on a resin model to make it look like I puked on it, tbh.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Cataphract posted:

I think this is a pretty valid point.

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...
So I'm looking at the new Space Wolves codex, and am I reading this right?: I can buy an empty Rhino, Razorback, Drop Pod, or Storm Claw (doggy flier) empty as fast attack choices, and cram anyone (who would normally fit inside one), inside it?

In addition to buying them for those units who can normally take them as dedicated transports, ofc.

Could I, say, buy an empty Stormwolf and let a unit of Allied Assault Centurions ride it onto the battlefield from reserve?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Unless the Centurion is too fat to fly, yes. This is why FA Raiders and Venoms are so cool if you like Craftworld Eldar as well.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Cataphract posted:

I agree in a lot of ways, but it still doesn't change the lovely rules we often have to deal with from mother GW brand

But I guess GWs latest strategy is that nothing matters anymore do what you want which helps them hide the fact they are lovely at rules writing

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."
Question for you Tau goons out there. I'm playing in an escalation league this Sunday starting at 500 points and I've played a grand total of one game with them and I could use some advice.

+++ Escalation Tau (493pts) +++
+++ 500pt Tau Empire: Codex (2013) Roster (Combined Arms Detachment)) +++

Selections:

Tau Empire: Codex (2013) (Combined Arms Detachment) Selections:

+ HQ + (50pts)

* Ethereal (50pts)

+ Elites + (225pts)

* XV104 Riptide (225pts)
Ion accelerator, Stim inject, fusion blaster , EWO
+ Troops + (108pts)

* Fire Warrior Team (54pts)
6x Fire Warrior Shas'la with pulse rifle (54pts), Photon grenades

* Fire Warrior Team (54pts)
6x Fire Warrior Shas'la with pulse rifle (54pts), Photon grenades

+ Fast Attack + (110pts)

* Pathfinder Team (110pts)

My question at this point is ; is markerlight support worth it or should take out the pathfinders for kroot or something else. Any advice is welcome and feel free to tear this list apart

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Tequila Ranger posted:

Could I, say, buy an empty Stormwolf and let a unit of Allied Assault Centurions ride it onto the battlefield from reserve?

5 Centurions in a Stormwolf is probably the largest fire magnet I can think of. Better than a Void Shield!

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

You were right.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

I like that he has a big bat logo on his chest. FW gets the jokes.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

krushgroove posted:

So I'm thinking about doing a Golden Daemon entry next year - when do people usually start working on theirs? Is there a history of not posting pictures online too soon so people don't copy an idea?

Traditionally I've begun mine the month before.

Also I want Curze but I want Sevatar more. I need to buy a Lightning for him to be riding into battle too.

Squifferific
Oct 17, 2004
Proud user of machines that go "Ping!"
Random question: What are people picking for powers for a Grey Knight level 3 librarian these days? All Sanctic, all the time? Or Prescience + grab bag?

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?
A rules question came up today that my opponent and I couldn't find a satisfactory answer to.

The situation was this:

A unit of Dark Eldar Wyches (I6) charges a Chaos Lord (I5) on one wound left in a Terminator squad (I1 due to power fists).

The Chaos Lord has Champion of Chaos, which says "A model with the Champion of Chaos special rule must always issue and accept a challenge whenever possible..." and so challenges the Wych sergeant. Possibly mistakenly, my opponent and I resolve the challenge right away.

She strikes first, scores no wounds, and he strikes back, killing her instantly. The Chaos Lord's Champion of Chaos rule says he "immediately" rolls on the Chaos Boon table. He gets result 32, which says "The champion is returned to full Wounds..."

In the remainder of the combat, which we resolved after the challenge, the Wyches roll a bucket of dice at I6, kill the I1 Terminators before they can do anything and overspill wounds onto the Chaos Lord. Does the Chaos Lord recovering his wounds from rolling 32 on the Chaos Boon table happen before the Wyches allocate wounds onto him, or after?

I argued "immediately roll on the Chaos Boon table" meant he immediately returned to full wounds and thus when taking saves versus the excess wounds from the squad had 3 wounds left not 1. My opponent argued that since the Wyches versus the Terminators should have happened at Initiative step 6, before the Chaos Lord killed anything, their excess wounds would have been saved before he struck in the challenge (and thus one failed save would kill him), and thus before he had the chance to heal.

And how do challenges work for multiple initiative steps now? In this case would you have rolled the Wych attacks, the Wych sergeant's attacks in the challenge, the Chaos Lord's attacks in the challenge and then the Terminators' attacks?

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
IMO all your poo poo should have died at I6 and that should have been the end of it. Had he survived step I6 then he would have killed the head Wytch gotten his boon, etc. Let me double check the book.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I don't think challenges are resolved first or last, just separate, they are still resolved in I order. If the rest of the Wyches strike before the Lord due to I, it would follow that he would be dragged down even before he could strike and in actuality wouldn't have even killed the Wych champion.

Squifferific
Oct 17, 2004
Proud user of machines that go "Ping!"

Bob Smith posted:

A rules question came up today that my opponent and I couldn't find a satisfactory answer to.

The situation was this:

A unit of Dark Eldar Wyches (I6) charges a Chaos Lord (I5) on one wound left in a Terminator squad (I1 due to power fists).

The Chaos Lord has Champion of Chaos, which says "A model with the Champion of Chaos special rule must always issue and accept a challenge whenever possible..." and so challenges the Wych sergeant. Possibly mistakenly, my opponent and I resolve the challenge right away.

She strikes first, scores no wounds, and he strikes back, killing her instantly. The Chaos Lord's Champion of Chaos rule says he "immediately" rolls on the Chaos Boon table. He gets result 32, which says "The champion is returned to full Wounds..."

In the remainder of the combat, which we resolved after the challenge, the Wyches roll a bucket of dice at I6, kill the I1 Terminators before they can do anything and overspill wounds onto the Chaos Lord. Does the Chaos Lord recovering his wounds from rolling 32 on the Chaos Boon table happen before the Wyches allocate wounds onto him, or after?

I argued "immediately roll on the Chaos Boon table" meant he immediately returned to full wounds and thus when taking saves versus the excess wounds from the squad had 3 wounds left not 1. My opponent argued that since the Wyches versus the Terminators should have happened at Initiative step 6, before the Chaos Lord killed anything, their excess wounds would have been saved before he struck in the challenge (and thus one failed save would kill him), and thus before he had the chance to heal.

And how do challenges work for multiple initiative steps now? In this case would you have rolled the Wych attacks, the Wych sergeant's attacks in the challenge, the Chaos Lord's attacks in the challenge and then the Terminators' attacks?

There's no mention of initiative steps in the section on challenges. The only thing a challenge does is move the models together, use their opponent's skill and toughness values for attack rolls, and modify wound allocation for everyone involved to include/exclude the challengers as appropriate. The fighting still happens in initiative order, so you're right. The Wyches (including sergeant) would have gone first and murdered everyone while the Chaos Lord was monologuing or something. He would have never had gotten to roll on the boon table in the first place. Had he somehow survived the I6 step, and killed the Wych sergeant, then he would have been able to get booned.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

What are the FW rules for Minotaurs like? I like their models and fluff.

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]

Squifferific posted:

There's no mention of initiative steps in the section on challenges. The only thing a challenge does is move the models together, use their opponent's skill and toughness values for attack rolls, and modify wound allocation for everyone involved to include/exclude the challengers as appropriate. The fighting still happens in initiative order, so you're right. The Wyches (including sergeant) would have gone first and murdered everyone while the Chaos Lord was monologuing or something. He would have never had gotten to roll on the boon table in the first place. Had he somehow survived the I6 step, and killed the Wych sergeant, then he would have been able to get booned.

Just went and reread it, and this is right from what I can tell. The Lord should have died at i6 when the wyches' wounds killed everyone outside the challenge and spilled in.

Also, a Riptide at 500 pts? I'd give serious thought to not playing against that army in the first place. Especially if it's getting AP2 battlecannon shots against me.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

The Sisko posted:

Question for you Tau goons out there. I'm playing in an escalation league this Sunday starting at 500 points and I've played a grand total of one game with them and I could use some advice.

*deletia*
My question at this point is ; is markerlight support worth it or should take out the pathfinders for kroot or something else. Any advice is welcome and feel free to tear this list apart

A Riptide without Markerlights is the saddest Riptide, so you definitely want something on that front, but at 500pts you probably don't need a full team of ten- Markerlights are a force multiplier, so if you only have a handful of other models their effect is going to be a lot less impressive. The Ethereal is likewise going to be less than stellar for you, since you don't have many squads for him to join with and giving up a single VP in a small game could easily cost you the match.

Instead, try out a Cadre Fireblade- he's slightly more than the Ethereal, but he doubles all of the shots for a Fire Warrior unit as well as coming with a BS5 Markerlight and Split Fire. Unlike the Ethereal he is effective even at long range and he can make even basic squads into a holy terror. Try this list instead:

code:
Cadre Fireblade (60)
1 Riptide (Ion Accelerator, SMS, EWO) (190)
12 Fire Warriors (108)
10 Kroot (Sniper Ammo, 1 Kroot Hound) (75)
6 Pathfinders (66)
(By the way, your opponents are probably going to loathe you for bringing a Riptide in 500pts. Just some advance warning.)

Squifferific posted:

Random question: What are people picking for powers for a Grey Knight level 3 librarian these days? All Sanctic, all the time? Or Prescience + grab bag?

Always Telepathy forever. Telepathy is a fantastic table.

Bob Smith posted:

The situation was this:

*deletia*

This latter version is correct. Although the book talks about resolving challenges first for cinematic purposes, this is not actually the case- attacks in (or out) of a challenge are resolved exactly like any other melee attacks, following the usual initiative order.

Potential BFF posted:

What are the FW rules for Minotaurs like? I like their models and fluff.

Their Chapter Tactic is Preferred Enemy (Loyalist Space Marines), which can be pretty amusing. I seem to recall their special characters are fairly alright, although nothing to write home about.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?
I guess I owe my opponent an apology for arguing the point. In the end we went with his reading of the rule, and I was tabled the same turn. Dark Eldar are surprisingly nasty in Zone Mortalis games, especially when a T7 3+/FNP Talos is up in your face within one or two turns.

Thanks for the clarifications.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

AbusePuppy posted:

List Advice

Thanks for the advice. I actually bought a Fireblade the other day for my collection so I'll be glad to put him to use.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

AbusePuppy posted:

Their Chapter Tactic is Preferred Enemy (Loyalist Space Marines), which can be pretty amusing. I seem to recall their special characters are fairly alright, although nothing to write home about.

I thought it was no Panic tests from shooting attacks and re-rolls on Pinning, Crusader, and +1 to charge distance in the enemy deployment zone.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

Naramyth posted:

Noone runs devs? Are you joking?

Mate, 150 pts for 4 lascannons hitting on 3s, one on 2s, with rerolling armour penetration is completely disgusting. The best equiv I can think of is imperial guard HWT which is only a few points shy for the same number of lascannons with crap saves and LD and poorer BS (but do get orders).

Don't get me started on plasma cannon devs, they can delete units, albeit with the gets hot risk. Much cheaper than an executioner with better BS.

8 tank hunters lascannons + a thunderfire + a stormtalon = 525 pts. That's a seriously brutal core to any list.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

PantsOptional posted:

I thought it was no Panic tests from shooting attacks and re-rolls on Pinning, Crusader, and +1 to charge distance in the enemy deployment zone.

It's this.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

PantsOptional posted:

Yeah, I was thinking of their older rules. They get the wonderful "Forge World, are you thinking of WFB?" rule relating to Panic tests.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I have to say the new Challenge rules feel...absurd. Is it anything other than a way around LoS? "Hey, sarge is dueling that Nob, let's all go hit it as well!" doesn't sound like much of a challenge or duel. More like two guys stupudly restricting their targets while everyone around just goes on a lynching party.

And the new IA book on renegades sounds....so, so good. Hopefully not broken good, but characterful. Rules for vehicles of different campaigns? That's amazing. Sonic dreadnaughts? I've been waiting for that since I started playing 40k! Good to know there's still some semblance of creativity and differentiation left in the company.

It also casts a harper contrast on the boring mess that is the current chaos dex. "Sure, World eaters, Night Lords and Thousand Sons' rhinos are all exactly the same, why do you ask? Now, rhinos who fought on this raid on Xerxes, THOSE are a whooole different beast!"

I'd hold some hope for the redone CSM book on the way, but given what we've seen of 7th edition codexes so far, which makes 4th edition look like a paradise of multiple choice and flexibility, I know better.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
I can finally share some of my painting with the thread! Two of my Space Hulk Terminators. And my improvised "light box" is just the Space Hulk box with a desk lamp pointed at it.

Err, looks like these guys still need some work. Well, I'm better than I was when I started painting a year ago.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Sephyr posted:

I have to say the new Challenge rules feel...absurd. Is it anything other than a way around LoS? "Hey, sarge is dueling that Nob, let's all go hit it as well!" doesn't sound like much of a challenge or duel. More like two guys stupudly restricting their targets while everyone around just goes on a lynching party.

And the new IA book on renegades sounds....so, so good. Hopefully not broken good, but characterful. Rules for vehicles of different campaigns? That's amazing. Sonic dreadnaughts? I've been waiting for that since I started playing 40k! Good to know there's still some semblance of creativity and differentiation left in the company.

It also casts a harper contrast on the boring mess that is the current chaos dex. "Sure, World eaters, Night Lords and Thousand Sons' rhinos are all exactly the same, why do you ask? Now, rhinos who fought on this raid on Xerxes, THOSE are a whooole different beast!"

I'd hold some hope for the redone CSM book on the way, but given what we've seen of 7th edition codexes so far, which makes 4th edition look like a paradise of multiple choice and flexibility, I know better.

I'm probably one of the threads worst pessimists, but yes, this book has me legit excited. It's cool because I'll be able to run a chaos legion besides just a regular one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I am trying to get Forge World to send me my copy of IA13 in the same order as the rest of my Death Guard. If they do I should have it within a day or two.

Typhons in 40k? Yes please.

• Locked thread