Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The Bob Holmesiest serial is The Ribos Operation

It's a close one to be sure, but the (single!) villain doesn't wear a mask to cover his hideous disfigurement. But it is the quintessential Holmes dialogue story. All right, we'll pair them off as a Robert Holmes Double Act.

vegetables posted:

I think Caves is very, very good, but it's also basically the Doctor wandering into a much grittier show and getting killed as a result. I like that it was done well once, but don't think it should be held up as an example of what the show "should" be.
"Should" is always a problematic concept with Doctor Who. It's an example of one of things the show can be. It's closer to thread favorite Davison audios Spare Parts and Creatures of Beauty than it is to anything in the revival - but they're all Doctor Who.

After The War fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Oct 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

"I like that it was done well once, but don't think it should be held up as an example of what the show "should" be."

This just makes me think of the "Blink was amazing, but don't show it to people first or they'll expect the wrong things from this show." type thing.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

She was in "The Genocide Machine" and I think she was later a recurring character in the Bernice Summerfield audio plays.

For a while I've thought of it as an Eric Saward formula episode written by Robert Holmes.

Bingo. Which makes sense, as Bev is kind of Benny with the serial number filed off.

And yep. Old Bob pretty much looking at Saward's preferences and going "Well, son, if you're going to do this poo poo, I better show you how to do it RIGHT."

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Talons of Weng Chiang always felt like the platonic ideal of a Robert Holmes episode to me.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

thexerox123 posted:

People like you two are the reason I was very underwhelmed by Caves of Androzani the first time I watched it.

I see I was not alone in this. It's a great story and one of my faves, but it didn't blow my mind or anything. However, that cliffhanger is still my favorite Five moment.

"Sorry, seems to be locked."
"...Or more likely, crashing down"

And then goes on to basically rapidly explain his current pathos to the merc guy (for no real reason) yet still makes it AWESOME "So you see, I'm not gonna let you stop me now!"

McGann fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Oct 14, 2014

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

Does she work for the post office and has recently massively improved their efficiency? :ohdear:

Worse. She’s an English teacher who disappears at odd hours. :ohdear:

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Don't Stop Me Now is also thematically perfect for the episode, considering it ends with the Doctor and Clara fairly explicitly showing that they're addicted to parading around through time and space.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Are there any Leading Man Esque History Teachers? If so you may be in trouble.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Yeah, the cover was really good for a hilarious laugh. Like it takes you a moment and you suddenly say "Hang on... Is she singing Queen?" Someone linked Postmodern Jukebox earlier, which is definitely the sound it had. That they were changing up the sound and it was bad historical reenactment was part of the fun of the whole thing. I think it would have bothered me if they'd really run with it for the whole episode, but it was just a really cool background joke that they'd clearly put a lot of effort into.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

vegetables posted:

I think Caves is very, very good, but it's also basically the Doctor wandering into a much grittier show and getting killed as a result. I like that it was done well once, but don't think it should be held up as an example of what the show "should" be.

I didn't say that. I just said it was the best story they've ever done. There's quite a few things where a slightly atypical approach done well (and done once) produces something special.

Also, I agree the part 3 cliffhanger is great, but why does everyone always ignore the part 1 cliffhanger? They actually get shot! All the "OMG THE DOCTOR'S ABOUT TO GET DEADED" cliffhangers they've ever done, but this time the Doctor actually gets shot!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
The one from Inferno where it counts down to zero was better for the same general idea

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Guys, what if Missy is the Moment?

What then?

What then indeed :ohdear:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I'm still worried Clara could be Missy
Missy saying the doctor is her boyfriend came directly after doctor saying he is not her boyfriend, this episode she says she's trying to dump the doctor and danny corrects her that she's not in a relationship with him, Courtney insists on calling Clara "Miss"

All of that would just be wink wink nudge nudge aren't we clever kind of foreshadowing rather than stetting up a sensible series of events leading to Clara running a computer afterlife. And it would be a huge disappointment. But this is who we're talking about, lack of sense happens and disappointment happens all the time. And for being the season's arc we've really seen very little of missy, if she had shown up every episode we still would be only getting enough info on her by now to just start to make educated guesses instead of "missy is k-9" nonsense jokes.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

After The War posted:

To be sure, while it is the Robert Holmesiest episode to come from Robert Holmes and is wonderfully acted and directed, it's meant to cap off Davison's run, particularly his last season. Davison's third season is one of pain and failure in a way that had never been seen before or since in the series.

Yeah. And to be honest, I think Davison was the Doctor that I was the most... skeptical of, going in. Most of the Doctors that I was used to at the time were a lot more over-the-top, so based on what I knew of Five, he didn't feel like the Doctor for me, right away.

I do really appreciate his nuance/sensibilities now, though, and I actually really enjoyed his run. (And the Big Finish serials with his various TV companions!)

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of Missy, and looking at Karabraxos, Tasha Lem, River Song* as well (and any others I may be forgetting), I think we have a pretty clear picture what Moffat thinks manic pixie dream girls turn into when they're middle-aged.

Through repetition, it's becoming both creepy and boring.

So much so that I refuse to speculate on the Missy plot even in my own head because I'm bored with hard-rear end, mysterious, crazy lady wearing ugly makeup baits the Doctor.

*River Song at least didn't have the lacquered up-do governess hair, because (I'm hoping) even Moffat wasn't dumb enough to mess with Alex Kingston's glorious hair.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Filox posted:

Speaking of Missy, and looking at Karabraxos, Tasha Lem, River Song* as well (and any others I may be forgetting), I think we have a pretty clear picture what Moffat thinks manic pixie dream girls turn into when they're middle-aged.

Oh god, you missed the pages-long derail, didn't you?

It started a couple of pages before this post. Edit: Ah, here's Bicyclops bringing it up.

I vote Filox goes and reads what the thread has already had to say on this subject, and the rest of us drop it.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 14, 2014

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Filox posted:

So much so that I refuse to speculate on the Missy plot even in my own head because I'm bored with hard-rear end, mysterious, crazy lady wearing ugly makeup baits the Doctor.

*River Song at least didn't have the lacquered up-do governess hair, because (I'm hoping) even Moffat wasn't dumb enough to mess with Alex Kingston's glorious hair.

This is apparently a giant can of worms, if the last time that I brought it up is any indication.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
If you don't look at it, it can't derail you!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It's going to come up again the next time there is a new character that fits the stock, which is fine. People freak out so goddamn much about "derails," you'd think scroll wheels were $200 a piece.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Filox posted:

...but, you're in the Doctor Who thread, you're supposed to be OCD about this type of stuff!

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

It's going to come up again the next time there is a new character that fits the stock, which is fine. People freak out so goddamn much about "derails," you'd think scroll wheels were $200 a piece.

I like a good derail... but that was not a good derail.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

thexerox123 posted:

I like a good derail... but that was not a good derail.

It was fine. It'll be fine again when we inevitably cycle back around to it.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Here's a different topic that I see popping up repeatedly in this thread, but it finally has personal significance to me so I'll bring it back up.

Classic Who really does have kind of a 'reverse tolerance' thing with regard to the different eras (filming/editing/scripting/padding/etc). I honestly didn't believe it and really had to force myself through episodes, but these days I find myself glad for the end of the night so I can go through my post-teaching ritual of making/eating dinner while watching whatever classic serial I managed to find at the Library.

One part per day is perfect pacing and I thank this thread for giving me the info I needed to cross the boundary from a partial Who nerd into a complete Who nerd. Luckily my local library branches have a healthy selection, since I killed my Hulu account (and have burned through the pathetically small and seemingly random Netflix/Amazon collection).

edit: Perfect opportunity to ask, in your opinions, what's the best 'representation' of the First Doctor, episode wise? I don't mean the typical 'best' or whatever that's usually asked, but what gives the best overall feel for his run? I've never watched an entire one of his and he's the only Doctor I have been unable to get myself into.

edit: gently caress, I thought I remembered Dark Eyes 3 coming out in October so I went to check today and now it seems it was pushed to November and I never noticed. So excited for this one.

McGann fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Oct 14, 2014

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

McGann posted:

edit: Perfect opportunity to ask, in your opinions, what's the best 'representation' of the First Doctor, episode wise? I don't mean the typical 'best' or whatever that's usually asked, but what gives the best overall feel for his run? I've never watched an entire one of his and he's the only Doctor I have been unable to get myself into.

His era is really all over the place, so it's a bit difficult to pick something that's a perfect representation. I guess if I had to pick one, I'd say the Sensorites. One thread that runs pretty consistently throughout is that he and his companions are trapped in whatever time period they've traveled to and have been cut off from the TARDIS, they are surrounded by a group who are suspicious of them due to ongoing hostilities with another group, and there is some sort of horrible dystopia lurking in the background (in the non historicals).

Even the Sensorites is a bit serious, though, when later in his run things tend to be a little more whimsical.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Space museum

McGann
May 19, 2003

Little_wh0re posted:

Space museum

Oh don't worry, I'll get there eventually...

(I've heard it's pretty much self parody?)

Bicyclops posted:

His era is really all over the place, so it's a bit difficult to pick something that's a perfect representation. I guess if I had to pick one, I'd say the Sensorites.

I was afraid of that, new show finding it's feet and all that. I just love historicals and from all I hear they were still doing a lot of them.

Since I'm planning on trading in Four To Doomsday today (working through Death to the Daleks at the moment), I'll see if I can't run a copy down somewhere for my next choice.

edit x2: I'm the king of the 5-10 minute edit and you guys are making it hard by being TOO Helpful TOO quickly! (Kidding, of course)

McGann fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Oct 14, 2014

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

There's a lot about the First Doctor's run that is very definitely at least tongue-in-cheek, if not full on self-parody. Space Museum is definitely in there.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I unironically think its great. The doctors anti-establishment streak is just wonderful.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Little_wh0re posted:

I unironically think its great. The doctors anti-establishment streak is just wonderful.

Space-Roman Bureaucrat: I'm gonna interrogate you :toughguy:
Doctor: Oh this is gonna be fun :smug:

McGann
May 19, 2003

For whatever [OK, it's obvious] reason, I find the artwork for Dark Eyes 3 CD 2 to be hilarious. I don't want to say Alex MacQueen looks ridiculous in a cowboy hat buuuut...

Image in question:

http://i.imgur.com/4rmX3gc.jpg

edit: Woah, didn't think it was quite that large...linking instead.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

CobiWann posted:

Worse. She’s an English teacher who disappears at odd hours. :ohdear:

Are you a P.E.maths teacher?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I have a lecturer who looks very like Alex McQueen, it's creepy.

Rita Repulsa posted:

Courtney insists on calling Clara "Miss"

Approximately 100% of female primary school teachers in the country could be Missy :ohdear:

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Anyone who has ordered physical copies from Big Finish: Around how long does it take for a CD to arrive to the US?

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

thexerox123 posted:

Oh god, you missed the pages-long derail, didn't you?

It started a couple of pages before this post. Edit: Ah, here's Bicyclops bringing it up.

Yes, I missed the "derail" way back there on page 35. Mea culpa. Perhaps I'm just not obsessive enough. Here, just let me knit a sixteen foot long scarf in atonement ...

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Filox posted:

Yes, I missed the "derail" way back there on page 35. Mea culpa. Perhaps I'm just not obsessive enough. Here, just let me knit a sixteen foot long scarf in atonement ...

Don't you mean 12 foot long :colbert:

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Filox posted:

I wasn't saying it in an admonishing way, just in a :can: way.

And anything can be a derail if it goes on for enough pages/until people are talking in circles, in my opinion.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Oct 14, 2014

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Don't you mean 12 foot long :colbert:

Four more feet, for extra atonement.

thexerox123 posted:

And anything can be a derail if it goes on for enough pages, in my opinion.

I don't mind conversations that wander all over the place, personally. They can go in interesting directions and it gives me more stuff to read between episodes.

Filox fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Oct 14, 2014

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

GonSmithe posted:

Anyone who has ordered physical copies from Big Finish: Around how long does it take for a CD to arrive to the US?

Couple of weeks.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Bear in mind, if a story is available digitally, you get a copy that way too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Gaz-L posted:

Bear in mind, if a story is available digitally, you get a copy that way too!

This is one of the things I love about Big Finish. If only their website was as smooth as their digital delivery...

From London (or abouts) to Northern Virginia, I'd say 4-5 weeks for physical copies. I think the longest was a package taking 7 weeks, but there were something like 50 CD's inside.

(I'm not saying I have a Big Finish problem, but Nicholas Briggs is either a bit concerned or would like to shake my hand)

• Locked thread