Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bad Roy
Jan 29, 2008

Animals are like humans, always being dicks.

thespaceinvader posted:

You should. Nothing makes a university take notice like letters in the Telegraph.

Highly tempting. Between this and them putting me in inaccessible classrooms THREE TIMES over the past year, despite my being the only physically disabled student on my course, I'm just getting angry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
"Prove that the sum of two irrational numbers is an irrational number" is not a valid homework question.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Soylent Pudding posted:

Not really, which is why I clarified that regardless of sensibility it's still something that is terribly frustrating and possibly offensive to a lot of students seeking medical treatment.

If you're pregnant and get offended when a medical facility asks if you're pregnant, you seriously need to grow the gently caress up. It's time to start taking into account that you have a thing growing inside your loving beer gut and learn some responsibility. We don't need some deformed offspring walking the streets at night, mangling people, just because you lied to a doctor and took medicine that changed a normal kid into the monster from It's Alive.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

chemosh6969 posted:

If you're pregnant and get offended when a medical facility asks if you're pregnant, you seriously need to grow the gently caress up. It's time to start taking into account that you have a thing growing inside your loving beer gut and learn some responsibility. We don't need some deformed offspring walking the streets at night, mangling people, just because you lied to a doctor and took medicine that changed a normal kid into the monster from It's Alive.

um

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

chemosh6969 posted:

Actually, I think we do. :stare:

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007

ToxicSlurpee posted:

"Prove that the sum of two irrational numbers is an irrational number" is not a valid homework question.

pi + -pi = 0. What a bad homework problem.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

chemosh6969 posted:

It's me.

I'm the deformed offspring walking the streets at night. :shepface:

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

chemosh6969 posted:

How loving hard is it for some of y'all to grasp that non sexually active students get upset when doctors don't trust that answer? This is doubly true down here in the deep South, "That Doctor wouldn't stop questioning my commitment to Christ."

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Soylent Pudding posted:

How loving hard is it for some of y'all to grasp that non sexually active students get upset when doctors don't trust that answer? This is doubly true down here in the deep South, "That Doctor wouldn't stop questioning my commitment to Christ."

On the other hand, it's equally likely to be "Are your parents going to sue us if there's anything important you're not telling us?" from the university staff's side.

Personally, I sympathize with both sides but American culture today is such that the university most likely will get sued if the student lies and the university proceeds in error as a result. It's never the special snowflake's fault.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

ToxicSlurpee posted:

lol wow what class is this for?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

A White Guy posted:

My university just sent out an email titled 'Ebola:Being Prepared' :cripes:. The content of the email is 'Oh, we're totally prepared in case Ebola somehow arrives in (middle of nowhere, California)' :smuggo:.

My recent interactions with the university/local health system tell me we are hosed in a wickers hat if even a moderately severe flu epidemic occurred here, much less a disease with 50% fatality rate.

A moderately severe flu epidemic would actually be way harder for most places to deal with than an Ebola outbreak.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Cythereal posted:

It's never the special snowflake's fault.

I'm not really sure why people need to keep explaining an "on the other hand" for a sensible policy that is annoying. But if there is one complaint I think we can all agree on it's that there is always the special snowflake ruining it for everyone.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Gobblecoque posted:

It's me.

I'm the deformed offspring walking the streets at night. :shepface:

Don't worry, I'll be your friend. Pay no mind to Angry McAngerson over there.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Cake Attack posted:

lol wow what class is this for?

Introduction to Advanced Mathematics. It's a high-end math class only for people that like math enough to major or minor in it. I saw that question and wrestled with it for a while before I realized that I was trying to prove the impossible. I felt like a dummy but really, a college professor teaching a 300-level math class should know better.

Steampunk iPhone
Sep 2, 2009

by XyloJW
I am at the end of my loving rope. I have asked people to stop with the "cremb" poo poo repeatedly and they just. keep. doing. it. It's gotten to the point where it could probably be considered harassment.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Steampunk iPhone posted:

I am at the end of my loving rope. I have asked people to stop with the "cremb" poo poo repeatedly and they just. keep. doing. it. It's gotten to the point where it could probably be considered harassment.

Someone smarter than me once said "if you try to force a meme too hard, you'll end up with hemorrhoids."

Steampunk iPhone
Sep 2, 2009

by XyloJW

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Someone smarter than me once said "if you try to force a meme too hard, you'll end up with hemorrhoids."

Haha, real funny. :rolleyes: If you don't know what I'm talking about stay out of it.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Steampunk iPhone posted:

Haha, real funny. :rolleyes: If you don't know what I'm talking about stay out of it.
No one knows what cremb is so just tell us.

Steampunk iPhone posted:

- Almost every day some dipshit will try to "give me the cremb". I know I'm a tall guy but it's not loving funny. It's just annoying

Steampunk iPhone posted:

Also, I was talking to my lab TA earlier and she kept trying to cremb me. I thought people grew out of that poo poo after freshman year :argh:

Steampunk iPhone posted:

Also, that "cremb" crap is still going on. It's just stupid as gently caress.

Cage has a new favorite as of 17:10 on Oct 14, 2014

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
I swear to god every time someone rides a longboard across campus, 3 morons see them and decide it's a great idea. I almost hit one with my car today when he was more focused on pushing off every 3 feet than looking both ways before crossing the street.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Cage posted:

No one knows what cremb is so just tell us.

"I don't think you 'get' cremb."

Alright, kiddo, someone asked you what the gently caress you were talking about, so go ahead and enlighten us about whatever "social experiment"/class project/viral marketing thing/attention-seeking ploy you've come up with. It's your time to shine. :allears:

Steampunk iPhone
Sep 2, 2009

by XyloJW

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

"I don't think you 'get' cremb."

Alright, kiddo, someone asked you what the gently caress you were talking about, so go ahead and enlighten us about whatever "social experiment"/class project/viral marketing thing/attention-seeking ploy you've come up with. It's your time to shine. :allears:

I guess I thought it was more widespread than it was... maybe it's just a thing at my school. People take a Gatorade bottle or one of those water bottles with the squeeze top and try to spray your rear end with the drink when you're not looking. :(

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Steampunk iPhone posted:

I guess I thought it was more widespread than it was... maybe it's just a thing at my school. People take a Gatorade bottle or one of those water bottles with the squeeze top and try to spray your rear end with the drink when you're not looking. :(

Are you sure you're not looking for the Highschool Complaints thread? Because this was popular in high school, but I've never seen it in college.

Steampunk iPhone
Sep 2, 2009

by XyloJW

Warmachine posted:

Are you sure you're not looking for the Highschool Complaints thread? Because this was popular in high school, but I've never seen it in college.

I am a pre-med student at a top university, thanks.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Steampunk iPhone posted:

Getting squirt at with gatorade.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Steampunk iPhone posted:

Top university in crembing

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Steampunk iPhone posted:

You're a random schmuck. The biology and chemistry departments at the university where I work got together last year to get t-shirts for all the professors and TAs that read "Saving lives, one failed pre-med at a time."

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Gobblecoque posted:

Top university in crembing

It's the cremb of the crop.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Cythereal posted:

You're a random schmuck. The biology and chemistry departments at the university where I work got together last year to get t-shirts for all the professors and TAs that read "Saving lives, one failed pre-med at a time."

Wouldn't labeling yourself a pre-med just paint a big fat target on you?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Bad Roy posted:

Highly tempting. Between this and them putting me in inaccessible classrooms THREE TIMES over the past year, despite my being the only physically disabled student on my course, I'm just getting angry.

Seriously, you don't get poo poo you don't fight for, and sometimes the best way to fight is to make a big public fuss.

Maybe start with an article in the student paper.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Boiled Water posted:

Wouldn't labeling yourself a pre-med just paint a big fat target on you?

Oh it does. Pre-meds are a special breed of pain in the rear student.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Steampunk iPhone posted:

Do you have a particularly dry rear end?

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down

Steampunk iPhone posted:

I'm not a litigious person but I'd report someone for assault if they sprayed a drink on me. Good luck getting into med school with a record.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Remember, never stick up for yourself in public. Too many headaches. Go to the police for your wet rear end problems.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Blue_monday posted:

I'm not a litigious person but I'd report someone for assault if they sprayed a drink on me. Good luck getting into med school with a record.

hopefully the police would ruin their loving lives I mean im not litigious but being wet just crosses the loving line sorry for swearing

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
gently caress calling the 5-0, what we need here is some street justice. Carry one of the big liter bottles of the reddest sports drink you can find with you to class, and then beat yourself over the head with it for letting people get away with spraying you with poo poo for months

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I'm in an MBA program. The classes are typically small and rather interactive with the material. Someone brought up an example about downsizing, citing a study that people who work at a company that is experiencing layoffs typically have health issues correlated. Weight gain, high blood pressure, depression/anxiety, whatever. So people who are being laid off or those who are worried can have lingering health issues.

One of the weirdo engineers in the class pipes up "But if they're underperforming employees, why does it matter if they have health problems?" I thought it was a dark joke and I snickered.
He was serious.

So, yeah, I met the guy who personifies the beep-boop soulless Scrooge robot that all the MBA jokes are written about. He's also smelly and wears cargo shorts to every class.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

canyoneer posted:

I'm in an MBA program. The classes are typically small and rather interactive with the material. Someone brought up an example about downsizing, citing a study that people who work at a company that is experiencing layoffs typically have health issues correlated. Weight gain, high blood pressure, depression/anxiety, whatever. So people who are being laid off or those who are worried can have lingering health issues.

One of the weirdo engineers in the class pipes up "But if they're underperforming employees, why does it matter if they have health problems?" I thought it was a dark joke and I snickered.
He was serious.

So, yeah, I met the guy who personifies the beep-boop soulless Scrooge robot that all the MBA jokes are written about. He's also smelly and wears cargo shorts to every class.

I'm running a business, not a charity.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Cythereal posted:

Oh it does. Pre-meds are a special breed of pain in the rear student.

Pre-anything students are quite frequently twits. As are a lot of early CS students or people trying to become engineers. Soooooo many of them are like "oh what, you have to actually work to get these high paying high prestige jobs? gently caress, man."

chemosh6969 posted:

I'm running a business, not a charity.

Except that these days "downsizing" often means "how can I eliminate 1/3 of the staff, force the rest to pick up the slack, and quit giving them raises?" Downsizing very commonly means that the boss decided he isn't rich enough and is going to go on a rampage of dicking over as many people as he can.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Or you're a CEO looking to move to better things and get those sweet incentive bonuses, so you need to show consistent growth for eight consecutive quarters, and ,my gosh, looking at what we're paying these people it's ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Or the business really is failing and it turns out EVERYONE loses their job! :saddowns:

• Locked thread