Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

i got it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

im not gonna lie i was pretty miffed when i found out the new dlc was loving charlemange. like, yeah, that's cool, but can you please fix all this other poo poo first? if the country isn't catholic or norse it's religon mechanics are super loving boring. my favorite lovely pagan religion is west african because it doesnt actually have anything good about it. it's just -relations and a bunch of poo poo you can't do for no real reason. also zorastorians and jews are both just Catholics But You Get Pwnd By Muslims

even norse kind of blows after the initial low tech raiding period

tupac holocron
Apr 23, 2008
The son of Maryam is about to descend amongst you as a correct ruler, he will break the cross and kill the pig!
im ready to fight and die in syria palaestina

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

i hope the decadence changes make muslims more playable but they'll probably still be about map painting

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

the emperor starts iconoclast but there's no chieves for doing anything as an iconoclast

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Parallax Scroll posted:

even norse kind of blows after the initial low tech raiding period

i took that ireland game i posted earlier all the way to 1360something but it was an absolute slog after like 1080. jk, i started at 1066 and it acutally sucked rear end the whole time because i was just staring at my gold tick up while i waited for claims to fabricate until the first crusade hit and i was so bored i participated. then i just did nothing but crusades for 300 years and gained half of europe.

jesus christ.

edit: i bought charlemange and im playing as lithuania and im like 90% sure that two of the romuva holy sites arent even built yet. jesus christ.

Larry Parrish fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 14, 2014

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Win kingdoms with marriage rather than fabricating claims for every province (or duchy if you get lucky)

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
Hey imps I posted this in the steam thread but it might interest you too:

http://www.greenmangaming.com/hot-deals/

legit prices on the sims medieval

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DICKHEAD posted:

Win kingdoms with marriage rather than fabricating claims for every province (or duchy if you get lucky)

That's how I got Norway. I'm not a total tard when it comes to CK2 i just feel like it can have parts where you just sit the game on max speed and get a snack or something.

Tribal holdings are pretty fun tbh. Can you fabricate claims on tribal holdings, though? I used my subjugation up and now I'm not sure if I can expand at all while I wait for my son to get older.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

lmao. my first battle and charlemagne gets maimed

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

If you divorce your Lombard wife through the Charlemagne event as Charlemagne then you don't get the event named for Charlemagne's Lombard wife that he divorced.

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

I get paid to stab people with sharp objects.

DICKHEAD posted:

lmao. my first battle and charlemagne gets maimed

Charle-who?

Oh that scrub who caught an arrow in his first battle?

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

OkieMurse posted:

Charle-who?

Oh that scrub who caught an arrow in his first battle?

Literally just became Karl the Lame

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Charlelame

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

DICKHEAD posted:

Charlelame

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

The Roland event chain is funny since he gets prestige, becomes your friend, and dies as long as he's in an army with you afaik. My Song of Roland is about Roland dying after I won the Battle of Verdun against the West Francian Revolt lol

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

most interesting ck2 game i've played was when the HRE conquered me and then i spent like 200 years building power as a vassal till i could take the empire over

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I didn't know that the upgrade decision for tribes didn't apply to every holding so the merchant republic of pommerania went from having 5000 soldiers to 500 and everyone declared war on me because I converted to catholicism to do it.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

it might be cool to play as the Capet count in Charlemagne start and do a sort of reverse of the Karling Resurgence game you can do in 1066

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

Parallax Scroll posted:

most interesting ck2 game i've played was when the HRE conquered me and then i spent like 200 years building power as a vassal till i could take the empire over

I always ragequit whenever I get steamrolled like that.

I need to stick with it for cool stories like that.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

OkieMurse posted:

one time I built a kingdom in poland, then got rolled over & vassalized by the golden horde. Ended up in seniority succession somehow, and ended up playing as some geriatric distant relation who, bafflingly, had converted to Islam. immediately, a decadence revolt appeared; thousands of howling zealots riding in from the arid deserts of, er, eastern europe.

iirc I survived that but something else finally knocked me out later. it was a very strange game

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

OkieMurse posted:

i recommend it

i was irish, so after becoming kaiser i did a huge sweeping purge of all the german nobles. was fun

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

DICKHEAD posted:

Charlehame

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

charletane

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

What's the skinny on this DLC, DICKHEAD?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

i tried a saxon playthrough but got stomped by charley after 15 years

tribal mechanics are interesting tho

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

DICKHEAD posted:

Literally just became Karl the Lame

He took an arrow to the knee.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i'm trying to make the republic of lithuania except that tribals cant upgrade if they are unreformed pagans. and two of the romuvan holy sites dont even loving exist in the charle start. is there a way to add them with the console? because they both are supposed to exist in my territory. i could literally subjugate pomerania and have enough moral authority right there to reform.

seriously how did this bug not get noticed. gently caress you paradox. there's a few random temples that exist in tribal holdings but they arent holy sites for anything so idk why they exist.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

i'm trying to make the republic of lithuania except that tribals cant upgrade if they are unreformed pagans. and two of the romuvan holy sites dont even loving exist in the charle start. is there a way to add them with the console? because they both are supposed to exist in my territory. i could literally subjugate pomerania and have enough moral authority right there to reform.

convert to christianism bc romuva loving sucks lol

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Convert to Islam, for lulz related reasons.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

convert to christianism bc romuva loving sucks lol

ya it does but reformed pagans are all the same as christians anyway. i'm also too far from any christians to even convert anyway, lol.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Pewdiepie posted:

Convert to Islam, for lulz related reasons.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

i wanna try the muslim viking cheevo too one of these days

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

What's the deal with the flag?

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

apparently it forces you to give up papal states territory? i had already given the pope some shithole up in frisia so i could could just go ahead and get crowned

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Knuc U Kinte posted:

What's the deal with the flag?

Not 100% sure. De Jure Holy Roman Empire is just West Francia so it must take your old primary title when you form the empire

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Anyway here's my thoughts having not experienced much.

The events are cool but pretty streamlined. Fun to play through though. A LOT of war and you get the feeling everything will collapse when you die.

You can have tribal vassals as a feudal lord but can't make them kings. I put a bunch of Catholic Franks in charge of Saxony (who became chiefs) after I smashed it but had to give the kingdom title to a guy with a civilized holding. Tribes seem pretty tough to fight if their king is good. They have high attrition and free troops and their tribal vassals produce a lot more troops than normal (if they join the war).

People are saying retinues might be a bit too nerfed. I'm not 100% sure (I DO think they needed to be nerfed). Their cost is really high at the moment to the point that it isn't really that worth it in the early game where your tax making ability is low.

I like vassal limit forcing you to make vassals a bit stronger than you normally would want to (I had to give counties out to dukes after taking Lombardy because I couldn't afford to build all the duchies I needed and couldn't wait because I was at war with Ummayads). Handing out titles and transferring vassals is as tedious as ever though. They said they would give the chancellor some button to make it easier on the player but I guess they didn't?

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

It did NOT change my title to the Great as promised in the decision details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Oh performance seems really improved. I can actually play Iron Man now on my lovely computer.