Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Powershift posted:

There are 3000 cities with a population over 10,000 but under 100,000 population in between those urban areas for which it doesn't make sense to have a dedicated sorting and distribution center. There are only 306 cities in the EU with a population under 100,000.

For a city of 10,000 people, which likely supports a rural area of similar size, it doesn't make sense to have a dedicated sorting and distribution center.

I was an owner/operator with DHL, and my route was 500-550km per day and there was a truck with another shipping company that nearly mirrored my route. More than half of the routes were over 250km per day. In a city of 100,000 with an area likely triple or quadruple that of an equivalent european city, all of the inner city stuff was handled by 5 or 6 trucks, out of a fleet of about 30.

You're the most ignorant poster i've seen with regards to north america. You seem like the type of person who would want to take a day out of your trip to toronto to see montreal and vancouver.

That's why I live in Reno, it's the perfect place to stick a DC because you can hit the whole west coast in a day. My "short" run is 724km one way and the biggest place I hit is 33,000 people at the turnaround, until I hit home base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

InitialDave posted:

Not plastic. You hear me, Germany? Not plastic.

This is what killed my wife's 2000 new beetle.

Well, that and her complete ignorance of not continuing to drive with the temperature needle pegged on the hot side of the gauge in stop and go traffic in the middle of summer.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Is that a common failure on water pumps? The pump on my dakota worked fine up until it decided it wasn't going to turn anymore and broke the serpentine belt. That was fun finding out I had no power steering entering a curve I can normally take at 40-ish mph.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

InterceptorV8 posted:

Yes, we should know, but that doesn't include people being fuckups.

See:

Road crews that patch roads too thick and cause an oops.

Drivers being dumb

New York using a retarded, non standard way to measure poo poo.

Case in point:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.6114018,-119.8507659,3a,75y,209.3h,78.33t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sRIxDaPbru4femjLtPCerNA!2e0 I can't remember 100% if this is the case, but one of these is now a 13'11" overpass (in a 14' state) and will also be the main route to get to the new Amazon warehouse.

See anything missing in the picture?

As someone who just got his CDL-A in New York, gently caress bridge height signs. They are NEVER ANYWHERE near the actual heights.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
2004 Jetta VR6. Coil caught fire and burnt a hole on the bottom of the (plastic) intake runner. Dealer list: Intake $900 harness $700.

Recommended fix: JB weld and 1 pigtail from the junkyard.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Mine were OEM (have a switch on the dashboard for them) and as far as I can tell the stock location for the relay was screwed into the side of the engine bay just above the battery. So, if the screw popped out or the stupid little plastic casing broke, it would fall down behind the battery like that (mine had).

I just replaced the lights on my 88, because either they ate the sockets inside or some desperate thief really needed two lovely little bulb sockets. The housings looked kinda aftermarket, but all the wiring seemed stock so I dunno. I replaced them with $60 Hella 500 lamps, because I didn't want to spend a bunch of cash on something nice but was tired of the old ones not working. I cut off the old plug pigtails, butt-crimped them onto the Hellas (the blue wire = ground, wtf) and slapped them in. They work fine running off the OEM wiring harness - the Hella kit came with a new switch and harness, so maybe whoever installed your kit got something similar and didn't bother to splice it into the existing stock setup? Who knows.

Before/after

Liquid Communism's Jeep is a 97+, so it's got different wiring than your '88. My 95, if it had OEM foglights, would be like yours, and yes, it's just attached to the inner fender. It's also wired in a really convoluted way so that the fog lights only work with the park lights on, but not the headlight high beams, AND feed a ground back to the switch to light it up when it's on. I know this because I acquired a replacement bumper for my PO-bent one, it has OEM fog lights (which are actually Blazer brand, but with a Chrysler pigtail), I've acquired a factory fog light switch, and I want it all to work OEM-like. I had to repaint mine because the chrome was all rusty (don't like chrome anyway), but the lenses are glass, so I won't have that melty problem Liquid Communism had.

CommieGIR posted:

I always wanted to get one of those and put a diesel in it.

:ssh: They did that from the factory (you probably already know this).

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

InitialDave posted:

:allears:

Have you forgotten the posts that started this topic?

I have no idea how or why you misquoted me saying Powershift's post, but I just want to point out what is going on in case anyone thinks I'm a bigger dick than I really am.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

EightBit posted:

I have no idea how or why you misquoted me saying Powershift's post, but I just want to point out what is going on in case anyone thinks I'm a bigger dick than I really am.

You must have really pissed him off.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Sorry EightBit, I'm not entirely sure how I managed that.

Powershift, I think you need a hug.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Darchangel posted:

:ssh: They did that from the factory (you probably already know this).

He almost certainly means a different diesel than the one you could get from the factory.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Mine were OEM (have a switch on the dashboard for them) and as far as I can tell the stock location for the relay was screwed into the side of the engine bay just above the battery. So, if the screw popped out or the stupid little plastic casing broke, it would fall down behind the battery like that (mine had).

I just replaced the lights on my 88, because either they ate the sockets inside or some desperate thief really needed two lovely little bulb sockets. The housings looked kinda aftermarket, but all the wiring seemed stock so I dunno. I replaced them with $60 Hella 500 lamps, because I didn't want to spend a bunch of cash on something nice but was tired of the old ones not working. I cut off the old plug pigtails, butt-crimped them onto the Hellas (the blue wire = ground, wtf) and slapped them in. They work fine running off the OEM wiring harness - the Hella kit came with a new switch and harness, so maybe whoever installed your kit got something similar and didn't bother to splice it into the existing stock setup? Who knows.

Mine's actually bolted down there, probably because it was the flattest piece of sheet metal they could reach.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Horse Divorce posted:

Ok, now how can I fix it? I've looked into hot tanks and nobody around here does it.

And thank you.

Prestone Flush & Fill kit

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1289874&KPID=976112&kpid=976112&pla=pla_976112

Been using these for thirty years. Also a great way to eliminate air pockets in yer fancy modern recovery-we-don't-put-a-cap-on-the-radiator systems.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
Fun fact: there are electric postal trucks in Vancouver and they are used daily.

Huggable Bear King
Jan 12, 2006
H.B.K.
Balljoint failure in action!

GIFSoup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHt8iKZcAxE

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Neat, but gently caress that person so hard for taking a vehicle they clearly knew was unsafe onto a public road.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That guy is a loving moron for many reasons. Apparently he doesn't know how to check fender clearance without driving it around while waving a camera out the window with one hand on the wheel.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Aluminum vs steel. LCAC hit a ship.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Is the black stuff rubber? What sort of scale are we looking at? I picture the rubber part being like half a foot thick.

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
And what is an LCAC?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Military hovercraft - "landing craft, air cushion."

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

EssOEss posted:

And what is an LCAC?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landing_Craft_Air_Cushion

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Slavvy posted:

Is the black stuff rubber? What sort of scale are we looking at? I picture the rubber part being like half a foot thick.

Yep, and you're about right. And the distance between that front I beam that's shoved in and the skin of the craft is a little over a foot. All of that aluminum is .125"-.250" thick. What's not shown is the top side deck, which looked like well cooked bacon. One hell of a hit.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Having worked with LCACs onboard LSDs, I would be surprised if this didn't happen on a fairly regular basis.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Gunktacular posted:

Having worked with LCACs onboard LSDs, I would be surprised if this didn't happen on a fairly regular basis.

Couple times a year, it seems, and usually not this much damage. Funny part is, it wasn't a navy ship. It was civilian, and part of a training exercise. Oops.

What was your rate, if you don't mind?

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

iwentdoodie posted:

Couple times a year, it seems, and usually not this much damage. Funny part is, it wasn't a navy ship. It was civilian, and part of a training exercise. Oops.

What was your rate, if you don't mind?

I left as an ET1 earlier this year, I served onboard an LSD for a couple years.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Looks like this limited slip 10 bolt chevy rear has turned its last.

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.

kastein posted:

Thats whats in my roadmaster! (poo poo)

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

kastein posted:

It's now an unlimited slip differential.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Powershift posted:

It probably states in the contract the vehicle requires XX mile range, which is possible with a fresh battery, but after 300 cycles from a year of use, with 90% capacity it falls under the range and USPS turns into a dick.

This one has a bonus failure

Had no idea Spintires had such lifelike graphics.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Posted in /r/justrolledintotheshop as "Came in for a balance and rotate"

Huggable Bear King
Jan 12, 2006
H.B.K.
it's mesmerizing. How does a tire get that hosed up?

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Sitting and sinking into soil over a long time will do that.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

There was a recall about this in 2003 or 2004. Affected Durangos and Dakotas since they were platform mates.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Huggable Bear King posted:

it's mesmerizing. How does a tire get that hosed up?

I don't know but I see at least one a week in that state on the highway. Owners of the demon tire just oblivious to it hopping up and down getting ready to blow out.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Dr.Smasher posted:

There was a recall about this in 2003 or 2004. Affected Durangos and Dakotas since they were platform mates.

Yeah, this guy is lucky the wheel even stayed somewhat connected. normally once one goes, the torque from the wheel on the other one snaps it off and the wheel fucks off into the next county.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Do dealers get recall stuff done on trade-ins they get? I have a used 2004 dakota and I had no idea about the wheel-b-gone thing.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

SperginMcBadposter posted:

Do dealers get recall stuff done on trade-ins they get? I have a used 2004 dakota and I had no idea about the wheel-b-gone thing.

In Virginia anyway, any open recalls need to be done before the vehicle can be resold to the public. Wholesale (ie to Manheim or similar) or a dealer exchange is a different story.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

SperginMcBadposter posted:

I think legally they're supposed to. Some scummy dealers put it in the sales contract that you're responsible to ensure all recall work is done.

Either way, the first thing you do when you buy a 5-10 year old vehicle is take it to the dealer, get them to check for outstanding recall work. There could be non-potentially fatal, but costly mechanical stuff they will fix for you for free until it breaks and costs you money, or breaks something else and costs you tenny mucho mucho di nero.

For example, 05 f-150s with the 5.4 had an injector recall. If you don't deal with it, the injectors gets stuck open and either wash the oil off the cylinder wall leading to wear and poor compression, or hydrolocks the cylinder tanking the engine. A lot of people pay out of pocket for a new engine when ford might cover it under the recall.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Splizwarf posted:

In Virginia anyway, any open recalls need to be done before the vehicle can be resold to the public. Wholesale (ie to Manheim or similar) or a dealer exchange is a different story.

Cali is the same way. A friend went to trade in his 06 Cobalt that had none of the repairs done and backordered parts for a few months, they offered him ~$1500 since they knew it was a) terrible in every way and b) would sit on their lot for a month or two before even being able to be sold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

CarForumPoster posted:

Cali is the same way. A friend went to trade in his 06 Cobalt that had none of the repairs done and backordered parts for a few months, they offered him ~$1500 since they knew it was a) terrible in every way and b) would sit on their lot for a month or two before even being able to be sold.

Cobalt are also the poster child of the kevorkianesque ignition switch recall. People view it as the most corvair-like and I wouldn't be surprised if dealers have piles of them sitting basically unsellable by now.