Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
How much area does the United Republic actually control? Is it like Hong Kong or Singapore, where Republic City is literally just a city-state / treaty port of some sort, or does it actually have a decent chunk of the Earth Kingdom?

Oh I get it, Kuvira just wants pretty borders, and if she manages to Unite The Earth Kingdom she'll gain cores on the provinces owned by Republic City, which will allow her to declare war on it without incurring infamy! :paradox:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

How much area does the United Republic actually control? Is it like Hong Kong or Singapore, where Republic City is literally just a city-state / treaty port of some sort, or does it actually have a decent chunk of the Earth Kingdom?

Oh I get it, Kuvira just wants pretty borders, and if she manages to Unite The Earth Kingdom she'll gain cores on the provinces owned by Republic City, which will allow her to declare war on it without incurring infamy! :paradox:

Basically most, if not all, of the formerly long occupied Earth Kingdom territories were converted into the United Republic. Republic City is the capitol.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Rosalind posted:

I bet my friend that terrible Mako-Wu spa day fan art already existed. Searched tumblr for about 30 seconds and sure enough:

You didn't win that bet because that's pretty good fanart, hth.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

senae posted:

You didn't win that bet because that's pretty good fanart, hth.

It doesn't even look like them! That's not Prince Wu's face shape at all.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
Interview with Bryke on TheMarySue.com Some very mild spoilers about a new animal hybrid. Some perspective on the themes of Korra.

They also have newbie reviews of AtLA, up to The Earth King at the moment, for those interested.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

DrSunshine posted:

Xelkelvos posted:

Basically most, if not all, of the formerly long occupied Earth Kingdom territories were converted into the United Republic. Republic City is the capitol.

If you look at a map it's a decent chunk:

http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/United_Republic_of_Nations

It's pretty much all their close water access to the Fire Nation, plus it's home to the technological and business hub of the world. The borders aren't particularly neat either. If I were the Earth Kingdom I'd want it back too.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
Apparently the backstory is that the United Republic is made up of the former Fire Nation colonies.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

Hauldren Collider posted:

Apparently the backstory is that the United Republic is made up of the former Fire Nation colonies.

Which adds to the anger felt by the Earth Kingdom. The land was already stolen away and was never given back. What would you expect from an Avatar who is bffs with the Fire Lord?

And yes, I'm aware that the comics go into this.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Also it wasn't like Zuko and Aang just made this decision arbitrarily. Many people in the colonies wanted to stay separated from the Earth Kingdom.

And it wasn't an easy decision. Aang (comic spoilers follow) nearly killed Zuko over it, leading to Aang severing his connection with Roku and damaging his connection to his past lives. We haven't seen what the result of this damage was, but I would argue it's why Korra has had such a tough time connecting to her past lives in Books 1 and 2--although that becomes moot after Book 2.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013
Korra didn't have any internal issues in Book 2 though--she got amnesia due to being swallowed by a malevolent spirit. I remember everyone complaining that she got her connection to her past lives too easily at the end of Book 1 and beginning of Book 2.

Also, I always figured that her lack of connection in Book 1 was due to her lack of spirituality in general. She connected with Aang fine in that metal box when she finally had time to actually attempt it and had no other distractions.

She had no problem connecting with Roku either in Beginnings 1, so it was probably resolved during Aang's time.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Rosalind posted:

And it wasn't an easy decision. Aang (comic spoilers follow) nearly killed Zuko over it, leading to Aang severing his connection with Roku and damaging his connection to his past lives. We haven't seen what the result of this damage was, but I would argue it's why Korra has had such a tough time connecting to her past lives in Books 1 and 2--although that becomes moot after Book 2.

The currently running comic series does show (same spoiler as above) an affect of Aang's severing with Roku
The Rift part 1&2 spoilers Yangchen says that when he did that it did affect the ability to communicate with the live before Roku which at that point is... all of them. Yangchen has to warn Aang but because of the sever, Aang cannot hear her, only see her. Only by teaching the Air Disciples about Yangchen Day is he able to connect again with Yangchen at least.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

mateo360 posted:

The currently running comic series does show (same spoiler as above) an affect of Aang's severing with Roku
The Rift part 1&2 spoilers Yangchen says that when he did that it did affect the ability to communicate with the live before Roku which at that point is... all of them. Yangchen has to warn Aang but because of the sever, Aang cannot hear her, only see her. Only by teaching the Air Disciples about Yangchen Day is he able to connect again with Yangchen at least.

Right. I phrased what I said poorly. We're not sure if Aang will regain easy access to his past lives yet, or whether the effects of severing Roku are permanent.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

So, in unrelated news, the Korra News tumblr (I can't figure out how the gently caress to link to individual tumblr posts) posted some stuff of admittedly unknown authenticity indicating that we're potentially looking at a 4-part finale again.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Regalingualius posted:

So, in unrelated news, the Korra News tumblr (I can't figure out how the gently caress to link to individual tumblr posts) posted some stuff of admittedly unknown authenticity indicating that we're potentially looking at a 4-part finale again.
In general, the date or the notes indicator are links to the individual post. Finding those can be a little challenging depending on the layout of the blog.

Here, direct link : http://korranews.tumblr.com/post/100007025785/book-4-balance-could-have-a-four-part-finale-much

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

X_Toad posted:

In general, the date or the notes indicator are links to the individual post. Finding those can be a little challenging depending on the layout of the blog.

Here, direct link : http://korranews.tumblr.com/post/100007025785/book-4-balance-could-have-a-four-part-finale-much

Bring it on.

Things I expect from the 4 part finale:

Korra Avatar-spiritbending
Mako lightningbending
Bolin lavabending
Asami moneybending
Varrick loyaltybending
Kuvira bladebending
Wu spabending
Air Nation crookbending

Sato
Apr 28, 2013
Fom what I heard, that schedule depends on an episode being uploaded the day after Thanksgiving. It hasn't happened before but Korra was airing on television last time this was an issue. I wonder if the internet-only thing will change this.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I enjoyed the subtler callback that Korra meets Toph at a swamp...the same place where Aang first learned that she was to be his earthbending teacher, through a vision. That was the highlight of an otherwise rather mediocre episode of the first series.

Here's hoping that Toph will go "Alright! Took long enough!" When told that Ba Sing Se is in chaos.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013
Apparently tomorrow's episode will focus almost entirely on Korra, Kuvira, and Wu according to the Nick Twitter. I think we could have guessed that. Put in spoiler tags just in case because I'm paranoid.

Sephyr posted:

Here's hoping that Toph will go "Alright! Took long enough!" When told that Ba Sing Se is in chaos.

Now that I think about it Meelo reminds me quite a bit of Toph in some ways.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Sato posted:

Apparently tomorrow's episode will focus almost entirely on Korra, Kuvira, and Wu according to the Nick Twitter.
That's just, like, every single important plot, right?

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

hiddenriverninja posted:

Things I expect from the 4 part finale:

One of Kuvira's soldiers has their birthday acknowledged.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Rewatching ATLA and man, anyone who dislikes The Headband (or, as I like to call it, Aang's Incredible Footloose Adventure!) is probably a fascist pigbear-lizarddog with bad teeth and who snores really loud :colbert:

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

BrianWilly posted:

That's just, like, every single important plot, right?

Yep. Like I said, we could have predicted it. Then again, it's not like the Nick Twitter (or the Nick publicity machine in general) has been particularly illuminating or helpful.

It just occurred to me that we'll probably meet Zuko's daughter tomorrow--the shot of all the world leaders in the trailer is probably from tomorrow's episode. I'm hoping she's a dork like her father.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Sato posted:

It just occurred to me that we'll probably meet Zuko's daughter tomorrow--the shot of all the world leaders in the trailer is probably from tomorrow's episode. I'm hoping she's a dork like her father.

I hope she plots like her aunt.
I take it back, I hope she sounds like her aunt. I don't suppose Grey Delisle did any voice work for Korra?

VanSandman fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Oct 17, 2014

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I thought we already got that shot at the start of the season, when they were inducting Asami's trainyard.

And on a completely different note, I'm now hoping Wu has a breakdown when he realizes he now has responsibilities to attend to even with his advisors, and goes Galt.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

VanSandman posted:

I take it back, I hope she sounds like her aunt. I don't suppose Grey Delisle did any voice work for Korra?

She was Ming Hua the evil waterbender last season.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Superstring posted:

She was Ming Hua the evil waterbender last season.

I already made the joke but yeah, she's available for S4.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
New ep now on Amazon.

It is wonderful.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

BrianWilly posted:

New ep now on Amazon.

It is wonderful.

Spoiler related to the above. Don't mouse over if you haven't seen it!

Spirit nuuuuuuuke

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

I want Katara to find Toph so they could continue their indefinitely postponed mud fight.

Edit: solid episode. Toph is just fabulous and Bolin is very petty.

PiedPiper fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Oct 17, 2014

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Toph went from being the best 12 year old to the best octogenarian in the span of... 8 years? That's gotta be a new record

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
What a great episode.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013
This season has been excellent so far

Kuvira runs prison camps? Good lord, they're really pushing this fascism thing.

Wu had the best nervous breakdown.

I'm pretty surprised Mako didn't go off on Bolin about Varrick. He's seriously under Varrick's spell after what happened in Book 2? Even in Book 3 he was wary of him. Kind of an about face there.

And everyone already mentioned how awesome Toph is.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Indeed, just a wonderful episode all-around. The pacing was great, there was a nice mixture of action, humor, and plot, none of the jokes fell flat, and Toph was amazing.

This episode really hammered home that Korra and Kuvira are foils of each other. I wonder if Korra were tasked with reuniting the Earth Kingdom Empire, how she would have gone about things? Maybe she's not as harsh as Kuvira, but I think they have very similar personalities otherwise.

I'm glad that Korra's convalescence is taking longer than I had thought it was going to. I'm guessing she's going to recover soon though. The book can't go on too much longer with the main protagonist isolated and almost powerless.

edit: not spoilering stuff because it's publicly available now

Rosalind fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Oct 17, 2014

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

She annexed his suite!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
> Declare the Earth Empire
Effects:
  • Gain 25 Prestige
  • Gain 12 Infamy
  • "Earth Kingdom" becomes "Earth Empire"
  • "Earth Empire" inherits all provinces containing cores of "Earth Kingdom"
  • "Earth Empire" government type changes to Fascist Dictatorship
  • Gain CB: "Crush Opposition" on ALL neighboring provinces NOT owned by "Earth Empire"

:getin:

Does Toph seem a lot shorter than she did when she appeared in her prime during Beifong's flashback?

Caros
May 14, 2008

DrSunshine posted:

> Declare the Earth Empire
Effects:
  • Gain 25 Prestige
  • Gain 12 Infamy
  • "Earth Kingdom" becomes "Earth Empire"
  • "Earth Empire" inherits all provinces containing cores of "Earth Kingdom"
  • "Earth Empire" government type changes to Fascist Dictatorship
  • Gain CB: "Crush Opposition" on ALL neighboring provinces NOT owned by "Earth Empire"

:getin:

Does Toph seem a lot shorter than she did when she appeared in her prime during Beifong's flashback?

Old people shrink.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Heil Kuvira.

Gaussian
Sep 20, 2001

I'll give you a box of chocolates if you kill me.

Nap Ghost
Man, of all the characters on this show, they still really get Toph. She was delivering lines exactly like young Toph would and that was totally amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm glad Toph still puts on her old hairstyle when it's time to get down to business.

• Locked thread