Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Elviscat posted:

If that 500R is still available GET THAT poo poo.

Otherwise, the Nighthawk is fine, and not too powerful, the $2252 Ninja is pretty much definitely a scam,. all the others are ok, but will depreciate real quick.

Welp, didn't see the cb500f there. Given the price I'd also jump on that, you'll be happy with it for longer than any of the other bikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

hot sauce posted:

Do it dude

M42 posted:

How much you sellin the WR for :frog:

Welp, the seller was super nice, but the lowest he would go was 5500 and the highest I was comfortable with was 5000 so the WR lives to ride another day (or two). There's a Strada listed for 5000 nearby as well so I'm going to try to take a look at that in the next week.

AuxiliaryPatroller
Jul 23, 2007

Elviscat posted:

If that 500R is still available GET THAT poo poo.

Otherwise, the Nighthawk is fine, and not too powerful, the $2252 Ninja is pretty much definitely a scam,. all the others are ok, but will depreciate real quick.

http://lafayette.craigslist.org/mcy/4680013721.html

I sat on a cb500f and cb500x and really liked them both- good reviews too mostly, but don't see many used ones. I'll see if that one is available, but at 20 days old I am skeptical. Thanks cycle goons!

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

AuxiliaryPatroller posted:

http://lafayette.craigslist.org/mcy/4680013721.html

I sat on a cb500f and cb500x and really liked them both- good reviews too mostly, but don't see many used ones. I'll see if that one is available, but at 20 days old I am skeptical. Thanks cycle goons!
It's not sold because you can get a brand new one for nearly 5 grand once the weather gets cold. I wouldn't pay more than 4 grand for it.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Starting new job on Monday. Gonna take the MSF shortly afterwards. Not yet ready to buy my first bike but if you're bored and wanna help me get a better idea of what to look for, I'd appreciate some listings of retro-style/naked bikes in the $3000 range. Any general tips or suggestions are good too. Also convince me not to get a Tu250 even though I think I love everything about it but it's low top speed. Or maybe I should go for this...
http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2007-Suzuki-SV-650-112922393

https://sarasota.craigslist.org/search/mca
https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/search/mca

rizuhbull fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Oct 15, 2014

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
When people suggest 250s it's nearly always a twin cylinder 250. Those singles have half the horsepower and they are tiny tiny.

Look for the classic ninja 250 or nakeds around the 500-650 range. Cheaper the better cause you'll get your money back on it and it's just a learner bike anyway. I'd start looking at bikes like this

https://sarasota.craigslist.org/mcy/4714625363.html - even comes with free flower stickers!

https://sarasota.craigslist.org/mcy/4693298458.html -asking too much imo but people overprice gs500s for some reason

I'm headed out but gs500, ninja 250/500, others like that are usually a solid choice and you should spend well under that 3k limit. Gives you some more cash for gear or save it for your next bike. Oh and for the cash you have I'd just ignore any with problems, you should be a ready to ride bike(or mostly) for the cash you have.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Also why are there so many 70s CBs on craigslist? Is something wrong with them or are they undesirable in some way?

tbb9
Sep 6, 2011
They made millions of them

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

tbb9 posted:

They made millions of them
Why wouldn't I want one?

tbb9
Sep 6, 2011
It's 30 years old, and worse than a more modern bike in every way.

You're gonna hear this a lot, there's actually a discussion about cbs going on in the "good ads on used bikes in your area" thread.

tbb9 fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Oct 15, 2014

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

tbb9 posted:

It's 30 years old, and worse than a more modern bike in every way.

You're gonna hear this a lot, there's actually a discussion about cbs going on in the "good ads on used bikes in your area" thread.
That's a shame. I would love a bike that's modern in every way but looks, and it's maybe it's lovely to own and use, but a kickstarter seems awesome.

rizuhbull fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Oct 15, 2014

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

rizuhbull posted:

That's a shame. I would love a bike that's modern in every way but looks.

r nine t or bonneville?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

rizuhbull posted:

Why wouldn't I want one?

Same reason you have an iPhone instead of a Sidekick.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

hot sauce posted:

r nine t or bonneville?

SR400 or Scrambler?

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Both are a bit out my price range (and I'm worried about the size and weight of the Bonneville)
But the R nineT is gorgeous. Don't know about the gold forks though.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

rizuhbull posted:

That's a shame. I would love a bike that's modern in every way but looks, and it's maybe it's lovely to own and use, but a kickstarter seems awesome.

First bike isn't your last bike.

Wait a couple of years and get the new CB.

http://m.powersports.honda.com/model/street/All%20Products/cb1100/2014

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

rizuhbull posted:

When it gets really cool outside that kickstarter won't be nearly as cool. I watch dipshits kick their cb's and xs650 outside of lovely hipster bars again and again when its warm outside. Its way worse when its cold.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
I can roll my modern EFI bike outside in mid-winter and start it in about half a second after not riding it for weeks because it's EFI and not old and broken. Who cares if it's got some plastic bits on it and the headlight isn't a round reflector full of the best lighting technology the 60s can provide, it loving works every time. Unlike my 36 year old Honda that may, or may not, start after loving with the petcock and choke for 15 minutes.

Also, the real reason there's so many old Honda CBs floating around for sale isn't just that they made millions of them, but also that nobody wants to deal with the headache of trying to track down the year-specific, made-from-unicorns parts to fix whatever doesn't work on them. Nobody wants to trawl eBay for weeks looking for that one part that's model-and-year specific and needed for your bike and for which everyone is now charging 10x what it cost new from the dealer for a used one that isn't cracked or broken.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

First bike isn't your last bike.

Wait a couple of years and get the new CB.

http://m.powersports.honda.com/model/street/All%20Products/cb1100/2014
I've heard that a couple times. So what do the wise goons think someone like me, with the information I've given should be looking at? A ninja 250 seems great and all, but I just don't care for the sportiness of it. Mostly the sitting angle and look of it. Plus I feel like everyone gets that as first bike. Maybe I'm a massive douche but I want something a bit unique. Something that's not impossible to find parts for though. Hate to admit it but a part of the appeal is to be different. Bonneville or bust? How is the the Kawasaki W800 or Suzuki Bandit 600?

rizuhbull fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Oct 16, 2014

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
The only things sporty about a ninja 250 is the flame stickers on the fairings. The seating position is standard.

None of the motorcycles is unique and you're probably getting into riding for the wrong reasons so just buy whatever you want and ride it to the coffe shop or whatever.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

nsaP posted:

The seating position is standard.
Really? I'm gonna have to look at http://cycle-ergo.com/ some more.

rizuhbull fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Oct 16, 2014

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

rizuhbull posted:

I've heard that a couple times. So what do the wise goons think someone like me, with the information I've given should be looking at? A ninja 250 seems great and all, but I just don't care for the sportiness of it. Mostly the sitting angle and look of it. Plus I feel like everyone gets that as first bike. Maybe I'm a massive douche but I want something a bit unique. Something that's not impossible to find parts for though. Hate to admit it but a part of the appeal is to be different. Bonneville or bust? How is the the Kawasaki W800 or Suzuki Bandit 600?

CB300f, CB500f, SR400(it's a kicker though), Inazuma 250(gw250)

Bandit600 has been out of production for a number of years, they made a newer model called the GS650F and it didn't go over well. Very capable bike just had no where to go as they faired it like an ugly GSXR and if if isn't a GSXR it generally doesn't sell. The bandite600 in the later years had wacky carbs that were part electrical/part mechanical. Throttle position sensor and heating element built in made them tricky to rebuild and they are a right bitch to get and out of the bike if they need work. There's a bunch of them out there and as a commuter daily rider it works great but is pretty heavy.

The W800 I think is still made outside the US. It's not on Kawasaki's US website anymore so getting parts may be a pain but there should be some available.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

rizuhbull posted:

Really? I'm gonna have to look at http://cycle-ergo.com/ some more.

Just put a bunch of stickers on it or paint it plaid or something. Happy to help!

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Skreemer posted:

CB300f, CB500f, SR400(it's a kicker though), Inazuma 250(gw250)

If you're really budget-limited, they're practically giving away the inazumas. Not really my kettle of tea, but it looks like a capable beginner bike and has some nice features (and if you're into being unique, I've only ever seen one on the roads).

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

rizuhbull posted:

Hate to admit it but a part of the appeal is to be different.

Riding any kind of motorcycle automatically makes you different from 99% of the US population. Doesn't matter if it's a dual-sport, cruiser, standard, or supersport, you're part of a tiny tiny minority for even considering getting a bike.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Skreemer posted:

SR400(it's a kicker though)
This seems like exactly what I'm looking for but what do you mean a kicker? Does it accelerate in a jerky way or vibrate a ton?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMpVY7bczMA

Anything I should know or be aware of? Think I can find an older model used?

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me
No it has a kickstart for absolutely no reason than to appeal to people that want a motorcycle with a soul and an open faced helmet. Either way buy what you like and not what the internet tells you to like.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Yeah I'm sure I come off as terse and a jerk but despite your desire to be 'unique' you're about the hundredth person to come thru with a bike/style in mind already when asking what to get. And 9 times out of 10 that dude ignores all advice and goes with what they wanted initially anyway. So if you're after that retro look just get the bike you want and be done with it.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

nsaP posted:

Yeah I'm sure I come off as terse and a jerk but despite your desire to be 'unique' you're about the hundredth person to come thru with a bike/style in mind already when asking what to get. And 9 times out of 10 that dude ignores all advice and goes with what they wanted initially anyway. So if you're after that retro look just get the bike you want and be done with it.
Sorry if I've come across as this. I wouldn't of know about the SR400 though and it's something I'm gonna look into, so there's that, along with the other recommendations I got. Anyway, thanks for the help.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

builds character posted:

or paint it plaid or something.

drat, I'm gonna do this to my next bike

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
Think of it this way: imagine a salesperson at a high end jewelry shop in a mall. They know after 2 days on the job that for every 10 people who wander in, 7 will wander right back out, one will ask for a business card, one will buy a can of jewelry cleaner, 0.5 are just casing the joint, and 0.5 have cash and are ready to go.

Can you fault this person for being selective about dispensing expertise/breath/time? For a purchase of this magnitude (to a lot of folks, this is significant cheddar) it's sort of incumbent on the buyer to demonstrate they've done some homework and are genuinely interested. And it's a task a lot of us take seriously, because steering someone into a lovely bike is mojo you don't need. I think there's a rider out there who took my advice on a Shadow RS years ago, and I'll bet they want to stab me in the neck right about now.

Bottom line, if you like standardesque bikes, I'd wait for the 2015 lineups to shake out, then grab one or a nicely discounted '14. Beyond that, there are the old faithfuls, and any smoking local deal you might find due to a spouse wanting their car back in the garage.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Marv Hushman posted:

Think of it this way: imagine a salesperson at a high end jewelry shop in a mall. They know after 2 days on the job that for every 10 people who wander in, 7 will wander right back out, one will ask for a business card, one will buy a can of jewelry cleaner, 0.5 are just casing the joint, and 0.5 have cash and are ready to go.

Can you fault this person for being selective about dispensing expertise/breath/time? For a purchase of this magnitude (to a lot of folks, this is significant cheddar) it's sort of incumbent on the buyer to demonstrate they've done some homework and are genuinely interested. And it's a task a lot of us take seriously, because steering someone into a lovely bike is mojo you don't need. I think there's a rider out there who took my advice on a Shadow RS years ago, and I'll bet they want to stab me in the neck right about now.

Bottom line, if you like standardesque bikes, I'd wait for the 2015 lineups to shake out, then grab one or a nicely discounted '14. Beyond that, there are the old faithfuls, and any smoking local deal you might find due to a spouse wanting their car back in the garage.

If only we could all have Marv's introspective awareness.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
SR400 is already selling below invoice, it's a colossal flop. Expect next year to be the last year it's sold in the US unless something unexpected happens. For a 1500 more you can get a base Boneville, and it's twice as good. SR400 should have been competing with TU250 and if sold for under 4 grand, would have been a contender. But it's just a comedy show at this point.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Z3n posted:

If only we could all have Marv's introspective awareness.

Z3n posted:

Good username/post combo.

Nitrox posted:

SR400 is already selling below invoice, it's a colossal flop. Expect next year to be the last year it's sold in the US unless something unexpected happens. For a 1500 more you can get a base Boneville, and it's twice as good. SR400 should have been competing with TU250 and if sold for under 4 grand, would have been a contender. But it's just a comedy show at this point.

Well said. This year's market failures are next decade's cult classics.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
1. Buy SR400.
2. Wait 30 years.
3. Profit!

Edit: There's supposed to be some ??? in there, I'm sure. I blame the caipirinha.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

1. Buy SR400.
2. Wait 30 years.
3. Profit!

Edit: There's supposed to be some ??? in there, I'm sure. I blame the caipirinha.

That ??? addresses the "why the gently caress do I have a SR400 in my garage?" question you ask yourself every year for 30 years.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Nitrox posted:

SR400 is already selling below invoice, it's a colossal flop. Expect next year to be the last year it's sold in the US unless something unexpected happens. For a 1500 more you can get a base Boneville, and it's twice as good.
gently caress

rizuhbull fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Oct 16, 2014

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Just gonna kick the hornets nest and throw the words "Royal" and "Enfield" into this discussion.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

rizuhbull posted:

gently caress

No no, this is good news. It means you can pick one up for cheap real soon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

rizuhbull posted:

gently caress

Its not a bad bike rizuhbull, its just stupid in 2014. Either way its going to be way easier to start than any kick start bike out there due to fuel injection, and kickstart assist. Most of the reviews said the kickstart was cool for about all of 2 hours until they had to start the bike again and again. At least you don't have a choke to gently caress with on it so that is a serious plus.