Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Seventh Arrow posted:

Oh man, Deus Ex is coming true!

Coulda sworn this was the same thing they chime every time something happens. New Orleans, Anthrax, Swine Flu...if it's made into a scary thing, this seems like it's always the one thing they think is gonna happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Better get prepared for the Ebola outbreak that's already begun!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Alex Jones is an effective snake oil salesman if nothing else.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Sir Tonk posted:

Alex jones eats 5 meals a day.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Crosspost from the toons thread.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That knocks out my Roosevelts, cracker. Racism plus double-conspiracy seems like a Muir hat trick.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

SocketWrench posted:

Wow, two whole cases, it's an outbreak, we're doomed!

Sometimes people can be so damned stupid

Heh. Why waste your time on Infowars when you can get that exact same PoV from D&D's very own ebola thread, complete with 500% less 9/11 Trutherism!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sir Tonk posted:

Note: the same food, in better packaging, is available much cheaper in higher end camping stores and online. They can really ease out the monotony you can get on a long hike without causing unwanted bulk in your gear.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
http://www.costco.com/32,000-Total-Servings-4-Person-1-Year-Food-Storage.product.11763436.html

:patriot:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Wooooooow, that's something else. I'd love to know how many of those they sell each year.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
Most of the food has a 25 year shelf life, but some of it has shelf life as low as three years. So you'd need to know that the zombie apocalypse/fema camps/rahowa/nuclear winter was coming with a great deal of granularity to really get your money's worth.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sir Tonk posted:

Wooooooow, that's something else. I'd love to know how many of those they sell each year.

A lot of that stuff gets served to people on places like oil rigs, or in company cafeterias across the country and so on.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Seventh Arrow posted:

Oh man, Deus Ex is coming true!

That's an oldie but a goodie. DX crammed pretty much every 50's on conspiracy theory into one game and that's why it was glourious.

I got into an argument with someone who was screaming that H1N1 and ebola were both created by the government, but they deleted all their comments shortly after. I'm pretty sad about that, considering H1N1 killed millions when people where just starting to figure out what the hell viruses were.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

I've noticed a trend of crazy conspiracy-believing people claiming that their opponents are all paid shills.

Bitcoin is an easy example, if you follow any of the bitcoin threads here then you've seen tons of people from /r/bitcoin subreddit who authentically believe that every single person who criticizes bitcoin is being paid by banks or the government to hate bitcoin.

I've also seen it with anti-vaxxers. I've personally been accused of being paid off by pharmaceutical companies because I don't believe that vaccines contain mind control serum or whatever the gently caress.

Where I live there's a ballot initiative to put a moratorium on growing GMOs, with serious jailtime and huge fines levied on all offenders. What most people around here don't realize is that every papaya tree in the region is a GMO variety, and a lot of people like to grow them as decoration or as part of a garden, so a lot of people are going to be unknowingly hosed if this law passes. There are also public documents showing that this initiative is almost entirely funded by organic farming groups from out of state, but the whole thing poses as a grass roots movement. Local small farmers have even been speaking out in the local newspapers about the bill. But if you even raise a concern about the wording of the initiative then you're a shill paid by Monsanto, according to the anti-GMO group

Have you guys noticed this sort of conspiratorial accusation with other insane groups?

Let me tell you about an idiot former friend of mine!

This guy has totally gone off the deep end over the last couple years. It started with 911, now almost all he talks about is federal reserve banking, big pharma, etc. He claims that Robin Williams' death was really an Illuminati distraction from the police brutality in Ferguson. He's become obsessed with Paul Pantone's GEET reactor, and spends a lot of time modifying his truck's engine to increase its gas mileage (instead of doing something like buying a more fuel-efficient vehicle). I got into an argument with him because he was convinced pouring nail polish remover in his gas tank would help his engine run more efficiently.

Anyway, I was eating dinner with him and his sister one night, and he started telling me that "they" (his words) had people out there "creating fake Facebook accounts and spreading disinformation on the internet." When I asked him for any kind of source or proof, he told me that somebody on an internet forum called him an idiot for considering the nail polish trick. That was his entire argument; somebody disagreed with him on the internet, therefor they are a paid disinformation agent!

He also liked to argue with me about cancer treatment, and tell me about these miracle drugs like DCA (I'm an oncology nurse). About a month ago he posted some article on Facebook about a doctor who had been diagnosing people with cancer (who didn't actually have it) and treating them with chemotherapy, citing it as "evidence of western medicine profiteering." He tagged me and asked my opinion. When I called him out on it and told him it's irresponsible for someone with no medical training to be advocating unproven cancer treatments, he called me a close-minded sell out and blocked me!

It's unbelievable how much these idiots love to lambast us sheeple for believing the official story, but they eat up any loving thing they read online that supports their views.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Yarbald posted:

Anyway, I was eating dinner with him and his sister one night, and he started telling me that "they" (his words) had people out there "creating fake Facebook accounts and spreading disinformation on the internet." When I asked him for any kind of source or proof, he told me that somebody on an internet forum called him an idiot for considering the nail polish trick. That was his entire argument; somebody disagreed with him on the internet, therefor they are a paid disinformation agent!

Bit of an aside, but despite how profoundly stupid his pitch was, the notion has basis.

New Snowden Doc Reveals How GCHQ/NSA Use The Internet To 'Manipulate, Deceive And Destroy Reputations'

quote:

A few weeks ago, Glenn Greenwald, while working with NBC News, revealed some details of a GCHQ presentation concerning how the surveillance organization had a "dirty tricks" group known as JTRIG -- the Joint Threat Research Intelligence Group. Now, over at The Intercept, he's revealed the entire presentation and highlighted more details about how JTRIG would seek to infiltrate different groups online and destroy people's reputations -- going way, way, way beyond just targeting terrorist groups and threats to national security.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
That obama, seeding illegals. He plants a fruit tree and pip! Out comes a Honduran to get at the fruit on it. Obama then pays them in cash from his own wallet.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I'm not gonna lie, every time I see talk about the big dangerous NWO I find myself imagining Hulk Hogan running a giant, world-spanning conspiracy.

WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO BROTHER WHEN EBOLAMANIA RUNS WILD OVER YOU?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I like to think that Kevin Nash and Al Jourgensen are conspiring to conquer the world.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

The Bee posted:

I'm not gonna lie, every time I see talk about the big dangerous NWO I find myself imagining Hulk Hogan running a giant, world-spanning conspiracy.

With the ghost of Randy Savage next to him

OH YEEEAH! EBOLA MADNESS IS COMIN' TO GET YA!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

The Bee posted:

He'd better watch his back because here comes the anti-vax wolf pack.
I hate how much WCW poo poo I remember from the 90s. :negative:

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
My big conspiracy theory is that the incredible quantity of conspiracy theories dominating american discourse is inextricably linked with the dire, shameful state of mental health care in america. There are so many undiagnosed, untreated schizophrenics running around, it's crazy.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Yarbald posted:

Let me tell you about an idiot former friend of mine!

This guy has totally gone off the deep end over the last couple years. It started with 911, now almost all he talks about is federal reserve banking, big pharma, etc. He claims that Robin Williams' death was really an Illuminati distraction from the police brutality in Ferguson. He's become obsessed with Paul Pantone's GEET reactor, and spends a lot of time modifying his truck's engine to increase its gas mileage (instead of doing something like buying a more fuel-efficient vehicle). I got into an argument with him because he was convinced pouring nail polish remover in his gas tank would help his engine run more efficiently.

He also liked to argue with me about cancer treatment, and tell me about these miracle drugs like DCA (I'm an oncology nurse). About a month ago he posted some article on Facebook about a doctor who had been diagnosing people with cancer (who didn't actually have it) and treating them with chemotherapy, citing it as "evidence of western medicine profiteering." He tagged me and asked my opinion. When I called him out on it and told him it's irresponsible for someone with no medical training to be advocating unproven cancer treatments, he called me a close-minded sell out and blocked me!

It's unbelievable how much these idiots love to lambast us sheeple for believing the official story, but they eat up any loving thing they read online that supports their views.

Like, how can someone read an account like this and not come to the conclusion that this dude's former friend needs medical help and a community support structure? He's not an idiot (well maybe he's also an idiot but) he's sick.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Nov 11, 2017

Mr Cuddles
Jan 29, 2010

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
I found this guy's website after he tweeted my company's recruitment twitter handle comparing our poor customer service to that of Obama's presidency. He copied Obama in too. His twitter profile has a picture of Obama next to a gorilla. Classy.

http://inelligible-presidential-impostor.blogspot.co.uk/2010/09/thetheory-is-now-conspiracy-and-facts.html

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Under the vegetable posted:

My big conspiracy theory is that the incredible quantity of conspiracy theories dominating american discourse is inextricably linked with the dire, shameful state of mental health care in america. There are so many undiagnosed, untreated schizophrenics running around, it's crazy.

Schizophrenia isn't the only one. Schizotypal personality disorder produces weird beliefs, though it's more a product of weird thinking than outright delusions. Eg it's less "the government implanted a tracking device in my skull" and more "it is the destiny of the Aryan race to take control of eastern Europe."

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Yeah wasn't there just some former teen star tweeting about having a microchip in her brain that gives her false memories? That's like classic, textbook schizophrenia, right down to it appearing suddenly in her early 20s--yet as I recall it was mostly fodder for celebrity gossip websites and not a signal to get her some drugs and therapy before she hurts herself.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
How do you deal with people who have unusual beliefs/values in a society that emphasizes individual liberty?

That person either has to choose to seek help for themselves or they cannot be restrained until they are a clear danger to themself and others.

A more proactive solution risks become a means to stifle 'undesirable' ideas like the Soviet system of institutionalizing dissenters.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
'Nother round of work conspiracies comin' at ya.

Our shop's been rather slow this year due to the big GM recall and all. Seems this was all a coverup to reduce the amount of cars and trucks out there so people can't run loose when the Ebola plague hits any day now. Apparently they're just telling us the thing is not spread through the air so when it hits it's going to ravage the US. You know, not taking into account when it's broken out in places without a public health system like the CDC and the like (likely in on all this according to my colleagues) Ebola only killed 4500 all cases added together. Ya know, not like more common diseases like Malaria or the flu which kill the same or more and spread much much easier.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Mr Cuddles posted:

I found this guy's website after he tweeted my company's recruitment twitter handle comparing our poor customer service to that of Obama's presidency. He copied Obama in too. His twitter profile has a picture of Obama next to a gorilla. Classy.

http://inelligible-presidential-impostor.blogspot.co.uk/2010/09/thetheory-is-now-conspiracy-and-facts.html

Can "Ineligibility of Unqualified Presidential Impostor" be the new thread title?

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

McDowell posted:

How do you deal with people who have unusual beliefs/values in a society that emphasizes individual liberty?

That person either has to choose to seek help for themselves or they cannot be restrained until they are a clear danger to themself and others.

A more proactive solution risks become a means to stifle 'undesirable' ideas like the Soviet system of institutionalizing dissenters.

Probably by funding public health services instead of gutting them, making mental health available to all, and destigmatizing mental illness so people don't feel obligated to conceal their personalities out of fear, and never seek help.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
Reagan already kicked crazy people out of mental hospitals and put them in jail, is that better than "Soviet institutionalizing"?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Reagan already kicked crazy people out of mental hospitals and put them in jail, is that better than "Soviet institutionalizing"?

While I agree that untreated mental disorders are a significant component, you shouldn't downplay the role of sheer ignorance and personality disorders. I know a guy who's a huge conspiracy nut. He's otherwise sane and a smart guy but he has a titanic narcisstic ego so he's powerless to not seek out secret arcane knowledge such as the illuminati Jew's moon landing fake. He absolutely has to be the smartest guy in the room and this vector for him is knowing the REAL truth of WTC 7 and vaccines. He's not crazy, just an rear end in a top hat.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
He definitely sounds less than sane to me. Personality disorders like NPD are still mental disorders which can be mitigated with treatment.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Jack Gladney posted:

Yeah wasn't there just some former teen star tweeting about having a microchip in her brain that gives her false memories? That's like classic, textbook schizophrenia, right down to it appearing suddenly in her early 20s--yet as I recall it was mostly fodder for celebrity gossip websites and not a signal to get her some drugs and therapy before she hurts herself.

You're probably thinking of Tila Tequila, who was internet famous and had a dating show on MTV.

quote:

2012 - Reality TV star Tila Tequila has been hospitalized in Los Angeles following an alleged suicide attempt. Emergency responders were called to Tequila’s home by her roommate last Wednesday, and she was transported to St. Joseph’s hospital for psychiatric treatment.

:smith:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

He definitely sounds less than sane to me. Personality disorders like NPD are still mental disorders which can be mitigated with treatment.

Sure, but it's not like he can't seek therapy on his own. My point is he doesn't need to be institutionalized and medicated.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Sharkie posted:

You're probably thinking of Tila Tequila, who was internet famous and had a dating show on MTV.

:smith:

Somebody call the Randy Quaid Detective Agency! He's found an ally against the star whackers!

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Its been pretty obvious for a while that Tila Tequila isn't well. She was a fairly standard B list minor star model and then one day she just loving snapped into full loon mode.

I mean famous people losing their poo poo is not unusual. Witness: Charlie Sheen. But Sheen's madness is easily traced to what looks like a pretty standard paranoid meth meltdown and by most accounts he's mostly recovered. Tequila is *innexplicably* batshit, and that leads me to think the poor girl needs to be medicated.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/a-field-guide-to-american-truthers-1640831550

Found this, and it's actually a fun read.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Sir Tonk posted:

Can "Ineligibility of Unqualified Presidential Impostor" be the new thread title?

I don't think the OP has had anything to do with this thread for a while.

he was captured by reptilian masonic illuminati black ops vaccine enforcers, of course

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
They were thinking of Amanda Bynes, not Tila Tequila. And Amanda Bynes accusing people of committing heinous crimes then retracting them later with the excuse of "The microchip they implanted in my head made me do it" would count as a danger to the people she accuses, IMO.

• Locked thread