Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Lucid Dream posted:

Here is a thing we made for the next update, an Impact Rod:

Reminded me of this:

Which in turn makes me think "what if it had an upgrade where the bomb part is attached via a rope" but yeah not really necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

DaveKap posted:

Reminded me of this:

Which in turn makes me think "what if it had an upgrade where the bomb part is attached via a rope" but yeah not really necessary.

Um, excuse me, but I think that upon thinking on the matter again you will find that bombs attached to ropes is highly necessary. :colbert:

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

DaveKap posted:

Reminded me of this:

I'm not totally sure if the resemblance was intentional, because I never asked Hayes, but the first time I saw the animations and concept for the impact rod that was the first thing I thought of too. Bomb on a rope would probably have to wait until we actually make ropes or something, but I totally want to eventually.

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die
Super minor gripe about the rod: the horizontal idle position looks a bit wonky since the rod is not drawn behind the character.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

mirarant posted:

Super minor gripe about the rod: the horizontal idle position looks a bit wonky since the rod is not drawn behind the character.

Hmm, to me it seems like a tossup since there is some weirdness whether it draws the rod in the front or the back, but yeah, it probably does look a bit better this way:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Bomb on a Rope would be amazing but you'd need to get something like the old Castlevania whip mechanics where you can just sort of wave the whip around and it flails wildly :v:

Lucid Dream posted:

Hmm, to me it seems like a tossup since there is some weirdness whether it draws the rod in the front or the back, but yeah, it probably does look a bit better this way:

The only issue is that the left hand appears to be grasping the rod through the character's pelvis.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Neruz posted:

The only issue is that the left hand appears to be grasping the rod through the character's pelvis.

Yeah, no real way of fixing it unless we just limit the angle you can rotate while holding it I think.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I'd definitely give limiting the angle a try because the more I look at that gif the weirder and more unsettling it is to me. Limbs do not work like that :v:

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

Neruz posted:

Limbs do not work like that :v:

In your boring realistic world maybe. :colbert:

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

Abi gezunt dos leben ken men zikh ale mol nemen.

Arkitektbmw posted:

In your boring realistic world maybe. :colbert:

That doesn't magical pink laser wave-particle dualities. :colbert:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Lucid Dream posted:

Yeah, no real way of fixing it unless we just limit the angle you can rotate while holding it I think.

Maybe try having the character hold it further and further towards the bottom the lower down it goes and have the range of motion elliptical instead or circular?

I haven't worked with animations ever though, so I don't know if that's possible.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I personally don't think it's a problem, how often are you going to slowly be waving a bomb stick up and down very slowly?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Who What Now posted:

I personally don't think it's a problem, how often are you going to slowly be waving a bomb stick up and down very slowly?

All the time? Its a bomb on a stick; I cannot think of any point that I would want to not be waving it up and down.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Who What Now posted:

All the time now so I can bitch and moan about it on the forums :colbert:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

DaveKap posted:

Reminded me of this:

Jesus christ where is that from?

Marux
Mar 15, 2008

College Slice

dogstile posted:

Jesus christ where is that from?

This video of a military training exercise:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8vl20FNYi0

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I am going to go ahead and guess that the bus was not supposed to explode like that. Or at least not at that particular moment.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Neruz posted:

I am going to go ahead and guess that the bus was not supposed to explode like that. Or at least not at that particular moment.

Nope. That's exactly what is intended to happen. Crazy bastards.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

tehsid posted:

Nope. That's exactly what is intended to happen. Crazy bastards.

What really? Standing that close to an explosion seems a little excessive for a training exercise.

Though then again I guess we are talking about military training so training to deal with 'oops I just stood next to a thing that went boom' is probably important. Still seems excessive though I expect that the explosives were at least vaguely aimed to reduce the likelihood that the guy with the bomb on a rope would just be straight up killed.

Still I think that panel that blows out of the bus only misses him by a foot or two at most; that must have been an experience he'll have difficulty forgetting :v:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Neruz posted:

All the time? Its a bomb on a stick; I cannot think of any point that I would want to not be waving it up and down.

Slowly, while scrutinizing every frame and pixel thinking to yourself "hmmm... Wait a minute... I don't think my space Bomb-stick is perfectly accurate to real life!"?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Who What Now posted:

Slowly, while scrutinizing every frame and pixel thinking to yourself "hmmm... Wait a minute... I don't think my space Bomb-stick is perfectly accurate to real life!"?

Arms passing through torsos upsets me at a deep psychological level.

Saints Crow
Aug 25, 2006

Johnny is the name for God on the lips and hearts of all bangers

Bomb stick reminds me of this video: Mexican Bomb Hammer: http://youtu.be/_BWiJAHRavE

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Saints Crow posted:

Bomb stick reminds me of this video: Mexican Bomb Hammer: http://youtu.be/_BWiJAHRavE

Guess I need to make a lucha mask whenever the hammer gets implemented.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Guess I need to make a lucha mask whenever the hammer gets implemented.

If you don't already have a lucha mask you've been playing this game all wrong.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Who What Now posted:

If you don't already have a lucha mask you've been playing this game all wrong.

Unfortunately you can't wear both the lucha mask and the Jayne hat at the same time.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Neruz posted:

Arms passing through torsos upsets me at a deep psychological level.

i didnt even notice it until he posted the reverse one

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Awesome! posted:

i didnt even notice it until he posted the reverse one

Yeah, the problem is draw order. The original looks kinda funky with the rod drawing in front of the player's body, but putting it behind the player means the order is top hand > body > rod, which results in the magic hand. If I'm unable to figure out a good workaround I might just put it back in front of the body since that probably looks less weird.

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die

Lucid Dream posted:

Yeah, the problem is draw order. The original looks kinda funky with the rod drawing in front of the player's body, but putting it behind the player means the order is top hand > body > rod, which results in the magic hand. If I'm unable to figure out a good workaround I might just put it back in front of the body since that probably looks less weird.

Might be better to just forget about it, too much time spent on something so trivial.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Can you keep the front hand from moving past a certain point? Make it so the hand that's furthest toward the head of the pole never goes over the pelvis. instead, just have it slide up the pole right in front of the pelvis. It'll look slightly less perverted than it sounds, and actually makes sense from a physics and realism perspective, since you'd want your hands to be further apart as you lower the pole down to give you better leverage.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

mirarant posted:

Might be better to just forget about it, too much time spent on something so trivial.

That's my view. if it really bugs you 6 months from now when you're polishing the game maybe fiddle with it but I think it's fine how it is.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Awesome! posted:

That's my view. if it really bugs you 6 months from now when you're polishing the game maybe fiddle with it but I think it's fine how it is.

Yeah pretty much, I'm just sorta thinking if there is an easy workaround. Changing the animation when you angle it down so the player moves its hand up the pole or something like that would work but probably not worth the trouble at this point. Assuming I did nothing else to it, which do you folks think is better, in front or behind the player's body?

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Lucid Dream posted:

Yeah pretty much, I'm just sorta thinking if there is an easy workaround. Changing the animation when you angle it down so the player moves its hand up the pole or something like that would work but probably not worth the trouble at this point. Assuming I did nothing else to it, which do you folks think is better, in front or behind the player's body?

Behind. The issue exists in both cases, but the in front case makes me think more about the character's right arm dong a weird twist to keep holding it while the behind just looks like an animation glitch.

Honestly though, you may want to revisit the grip on the item in general since both implementations have bugs.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
I tried limiting the angle, but I wasn't happy with the resulting swing arc, so I set it up so that it only clamps the angle when you're not swinging and it seems to be a good tradeoff. Still not perfect as you can still see the animation glitch mid-swing, but I figure you'll be looking at what you're swinging at not you're hand during a swing:

edit:

Dareon posted:

Unfortunately you can't wear both the lucha mask and the Jayne hat at the same time.
I hadn't thought about it before, but it would be trivially easy to add a mask slot, hmm. related secret goon cheat: press t in-game and type /item 1701 for a special mask you can't get normally

Lucid Dream fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Oct 17, 2014

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Just make it one-handed GOD drat!

Ok just in case that's a low-content post: I look forward to the day when ropes exist in this game because having Castlevania rope physics in this game would probably sell a few friends of mine on it.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

DaveKap posted:

Ok just in case that's a low-content post
it's ok, you can do that now in games :)

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

DaveKap posted:

Just make it one-handed GOD drat!
No way, that wouldn't be safe at all!

DaveKap posted:

I look forward to the day when ropes exist in this game because having Castlevania rope physics in this game would probably sell a few friends of mine on it.
I'm definitely going to play with it sometime soon, I would love to be able to make physical maces and junk.

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

Abi gezunt dos leben ken men zikh ale mol nemen.

Lucid Dream posted:

No way, that wouldn't be safe at all!

I think we passed safe and left in our exploding dust around the time we decided to tape dynamite to a stick, man.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

The Mighty Biscuit posted:

I think we passed safe and left in our exploding dust around the time we decided to tape dynamite to a stick, man.

Listen there are galactic safety standards to consider, section 16794.655 paragraph K clearly states that under no circumstances should one wield a bombstick one-handed. Always use two hands.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Neruz posted:

Listen there are galactic safety standards to consider, section 16794.655 paragraph K clearly states that under no circumstances should one wield a bombstick one-handed. Always use two hands.

Yeah man, poo poo's not safe. You gotta think about the other guys around you too. Work smart, work safe.

On the topic of not safe things, I'm concerned about the effect these demonstration videos may be having. It wasn't a huge issue when their mascot was just using the scanning equipment, but detonating a bomb-stick without wearing PPE? That's crazy, and the company is being irresponsible!

They should probably address this before it comes to the attention of Space-OSHA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Space-OSHA would presumably be the GSHA for Galactic Safety and Health Administration, or GOSHA.... heee GOSHA :v:

• Locked thread