Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I just realised that the third Delta mission gives you an Account BoE [Acc]x3 Phaser Array. Nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Do you think that the hp buff to all the enemies was an attempt to make people use torpedoes instead of going all beams and cannons?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Anyone have shots of what the Delta Alliance space set looks like? I can't really find any.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

MikeJF posted:

I just realised that the third Delta mission gives you an Account BoE [Acc]x3 Phaser Array. Nice.
I've seen like four of those so far as quest rewards, at least getting a decent set of phaser beams will be easy for the forseeable future. :v:

Ramadu posted:

Do you think that the hp buff to all the enemies was an attempt to make people use torpedoes instead of going all beams and cannons?
While I'd normally say so, enemy shields have been buffed as well and a lot of the recent enemy groups are pretty good about keeping them distributed well. By NPC standards anyway.

Geko admitted a while back on tribble that it was supposed to "encourage people to use single target attacks", except that if there's two or more enemies it's still far more efficient to use AoE fire since you're doubling your net damage output (or more). This is the quality of game design we're dealing with here. :ughh:

MikeJF posted:

Anyone have shots of what the Delta Alliance space set looks like? I can't really find any.
No shot immediately handy, but the space shield is basically matte black ~stealth fighter~.

bubbles depo
Jul 25, 2006

doot doot!

MikeJF posted:

http://imgur.com/a/yPOJZ

The visuals according to a reddit post.

http://imgur.com/a/yiRAl#9kLyy7q

And some more ships.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

bubbles depo posted:

http://imgur.com/a/yPOJZ

The visuals according to a reddit post.

http://imgur.com/a/yiRAl#9kLyy7q

And some more ships.

Fuckin sweet, a GI Joe Night Force Galor.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Interesting, thanks.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Asimo posted:

Geko admitted a while back on tribble that it was supposed to "encourage people to use single target attacks", except that if there's two or more enemies it's still far more efficient to use AoE fire since you're doubling your net damage output (or more). This is the quality of game design we're dealing with here. :ughh:

You reckon the enemy HP/shields will be reduced anytime soon? My klankrom's my new main, and he's just at the final Romulan arc mission (the one where you finally buddy up with Obisek). so I reckon I've got time before being hit by HP walls.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Honestly, I have no idea. If Cryptic were sane it would probably be patched down in a few weeks once enough people hit the level cap and they pay attention to actual data, or if player numbers were lower than expected. On the other hand, if it's something pushed down by PWE (making content more tedious to "encourage" cash shop sales...) then it could be hosed indefinitely. :shrug:

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

That shield actually looks p.sweet. I think I need to make a comeback and rock a murdered-out galor.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Dev response to complaints about difficulty and, surprisingly, dil rewards.

quote:

Our goal was to make basic difficulty and the story content something everyone can play - even with a standard T5 ship. Levels 1-50 are generally pretty easy at basic difficulty, so we felt 51-60 should step things up a bit. Although we expect 51-60 accessible everyone, those in T5 ships and non-upgraded gear should to start to feel a definite challenge as they approach level 60. We expect Advanced to be for more skilled players and those who have invested in the game (ships and gear). And we expect Elite to be for the best of the best. We don't expect most players to succeed on elite difficulty.

If I were to guess, I would expect basic to get some minor tuning, Advanced to get a little easier and Elite to get a lot harder - and rewards, like dilithium rewards, could potentially go up across queues once we are sure we are hitting the right mark. But this is just my guess at this time.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
I haven't had time to mess with any other ships yet but I kinda like the Intel Cruiser if done up right. Reminds me of the carriers in Starship Troopers or a Sith Infiltrator. (Interceptor? darth maul's ship)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Those nacelles are a lot better than the default, mainly because they're less pointy and have decent glowy front.

In story news, oh no the Vadwaar are attacking UC San Diego's Geisel Library!

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Those nacelles are a lot better than the default, mainly because they're less pointy and have decent glowy front.

In story news, oh no the Vadwaar are attacking UC San Diego's Geisel Library!

I hate going into Geisel, always have a fear that the supports might collapse in an earthquake. At least it isn't Mesa College's library, that thing looks like it would fall off the cliff.

:ninja: UCSD Goons :ninja:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Cyberball 2072 posted:

I haven't had time to mess with any other ships yet but I kinda like the Intel Cruiser if done up right. Reminds me of the carriers in Starship Troopers or a Sith Infiltrator. (Interceptor? darth maul's ship)
I'm surprisingly fond of it, yeah. It looks pretty good with the Scryer nacelles too, though I prefer it with the beta saucer, beta nacelles, and the type 6 skin. Looks more like a weird futuristic Fed cruiser or something. ... Which makes no sense since Star Trek is already in the future... but you know. :downs:

Soviet Commubot posted:

Dev response to complaints about difficulty and, surprisingly, dil rewards.
Damage control, but interesting to see. I suspect it's like I mentioned, where they want to see the metrics in two weeks or so once more level 60s have done queues. Of course the problem with this theory is most people aren't going to bother pugging advanced queues at this rate... :v:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I really wish they'd just had the soundtrack to this game as sound files in a folder rather than bundled in an archive so we could replace all of the files with actual trek music.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
I went and tried to do the standard grindfest crystalline catastrophe on advanced(I'm not yet 60) tonight. Both times I tried advanced, it took 10+ minutes to get the entity down to the first absorb point (67~%). After that, more tholians spawn in, and it becomes impossible. Even the lovely little frigate type tholian ships were taking forever. I then did it on normal a couple of times, and it seemed to be harder than the old elite version.

So from my experience (limited), what they have actually done (opposing the dev response posted a bit above), is change normal into elite, advanced into some kind of super elite raid bullshit, and I assume elite into the "only sperg-masters in fully optimised builds that don't really need to even do elite STFs anymore because they have the best of everything already" club.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

The entity had... I think 1.2 million hull on elite? With the 80% energy damage resistance.

On the new Advanced mode it has 21 million, with the same damage resistance. And the healing from the shards is percentage based, so if you have a struggling PUG they're not going to beat it even if they do get to stage three. The Recluses have 900k hull just on their own. I'm not sure the 10 minute optional timer is even possible barring a premade with builds intentionally designed to stack damage resistance debuffs, deal kinetic damage, and so on. And this is just the advanced, not the elite.

Yeah, Cryptic hosed the numbers up bad.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Are we sure they didn't try to change 1,200,000 hp to 2,100,000 hp but accidentally put an extra 0 on the end?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

That would be my suspicion yes. That or Cryptic has bad QA, did a blanket database "increase all the health" change, and didn't bother to actually do even cursory testing.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Say, can anyone invite my klankrom to TheNextGooneration? It's D'maiel@mvctaravrelivs, by the way.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Asimo posted:

That would be my suspicion yes. That or Cryptic has bad QA, did a blanket database "increase all the health" change, and didn't bother to actually do even cursory testing.
Except they didn't increase everything. Did a viscous cycle advanced last night (not too difficult with goons) and baby planet-killers only had 500k hp. The undine ships swarming around it (the ones you don't have to kill) had higher hp than that.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Asimo posted:

That would be my suspicion yes. That or Cryptic does not have any QA whatsoever, as per normal, did a blanket database "increase all the health" change, and didn't bother to actually do even cursory testing.

Fixed that for you.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Okay, quick question re: gateway--do I just post the link to my dude's ship's loadout page and then you can see it or is there a sharing/public view link I should be using? If the link I just tried is actually viewable by y'all I'll have some questions.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Trebuchet King posted:

Okay, quick question re: gateway--do I just post the link to my dude's ship's loadout page and then you can see it or is there a sharing/public view link I should be using? If the link I just tried is actually viewable by y'all I'll have some questions.
Yes, that works. And thanks for posting the gateway link, I haven't memorized all the various console icons so the gateway link helps me more than a screenshot. Are you trying to run an aux2bat build? If so, I'm pretty sure aux2ID interferes with the aux2bat cooldown and will lower it's effectiveness quite a bit.

Also, upgrade that one mk II beam bank.

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003
I flew the shuttle race course and beat Tom Paris' record. This gives you absolutely nothing. Not even an accolade.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

They didn't even turn you into a lizard?!!!

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

g0del posted:

Yes, that works. And thanks for posting the gateway link, I haven't memorized all the various console icons so the gateway link helps me more than a screenshot. Are you trying to run an aux2bat build? If so, I'm pretty sure aux2ID interferes with the aux2bat cooldown and will lower it's effectiveness quite a bit.

Also, upgrade that one mk II beam bank.

Once I get home I'm going to double-check that beam bank because I'm pretty sure last night when I was trying to figure out what to upgrade everything was a XII in the weapons department.

Aux2ID doesn't actually get used much beyond occasionally showing off; it's even bound to a hard-to-accidentally-press number.

In terms of further space gear, what I gleaned from goonchatte is that I want undine deflector/engines and dyson shield. Fleet crit chance tet consoles are a given, but I think I put them on the backburner, maybe? I also am not sure why I got advanced engines, maybe the elite can't have [spd]x3? I've got the full Aegis set, mostly in the bank though. I've got a decent handful of different set stuff in the bank, but it'll be a little while before I can double-check what, specifically.

I really wish I'd laid out my plan in a .txt file to refer to since I've obviously forgotten a lot.

Having upgraded my sweet ride I've got an extra eng console slot and I'm having trouble deciding what to put in there. A fleet dilmine console seems like overkill given the 'vette's strengths, and the gimmicks are all so numerous at this point it's hard to narrow them down. I'm also having severe choice paralysis when it comes to what I upgrade first.

I think that's everything I was wondering about space-wise; I'm going to try and avoid worrying about ground until either I've gotten space sorted out or I have to worry about it.

Lafarg
Jul 23, 2012

Cyberball 2072 posted:

RIP Rodger Young

Lafarg fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Oct 17, 2014

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
Anyone else timing out after character selection?

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
Is it possible to get an invite to the chat channel for Rinori@Venomire?

RossMan4Life
Dec 18, 2002

by R. Guyovich
I have literally no recollection how to play this game after a long hiatus.

Can someone post what they think is the most obnoxious science build? I'd like to be a useful ally in PVP, but mostly I just want to aggravate people. I'm not sure what info would be useful, I'm level 50 and a Vulcan, if that helps with any traits or whatnot.

I'm just going to play through missions until I replace all my hyper poo poo gear, since I saw I'm rocking some whites on my Deep Space Science Vessel (the one that looks like I imagine a retarded Voyager-J would look)

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe
The STO code base must be incredibly bad. First they accidently give everyone the crafting traits at crafting level 1 instead of 15. Then when they fix it, they break players skill/traits, leaving many players unable to change their traits, and a few stuck with 0 in all skills. To fix that, they're having to revert the crafting trait fix.

I'd say we need a :cryptic: smiley, but the fact that no one has bothered to create one is really more fitting than any actual smiley could ever be.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
I think leaving it as :cryptic: is about as :thejoke: as it gets.

And yes, everything I've heard says the code base is jumbled mess that the devs need to pour through just to get an update right. Who here remembers how many updates it took to "fix" BFAW? It went from a great skill, to horribly broken, to amazingly broken, to halfway decent, to what we have today.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Oh, forgot to ask last time I posted, can someone add Pseudo@pseudoscorpion14 to TNG?

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
So I go check the launcher:

"We will be performing shard maintenance on October 16 from 6:30-8:00 PM Pacific"

Check it at 8:15:

"We will be performing shard maintenance on October 16 from 6:30-9:00 PM Pacific"

Check it at 9:15:

"We will be performing shard maintenance on October 16 from 6:30-11:00 PM Pacific"

And I'm guessing that Kobali Prime mission STILL won't be fixed.

ComradeBigT
Sep 9, 2014
I like how they broke the crafting traits again, and their solution is to roll it back to the previous broken state. At least I can try all the lvl 15 traits now. Honestly I just hope they fix my space action bar randomly clearing when I switch from ground to space missions.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Speaking of the crafting traits, KDF with Momentum, the cannon crafting trait, and the trait from the Qib reaching level 5 can pretty much use dual heavy cannons on a battlecruiser and not be outmaneuvered easily. Time for some gimmicky fun.

bubbles depo
Jul 25, 2006

doot doot!
http://gateway.startrekonline.com/#char(Sooyoung@Jovell)/personnel-captainprofile

A new profile to add to the OP. It has all the classic tropes for a white orion, including the lifetime of sex slavery, super violence and complete disregard for decency in a game where minors could see such things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Sorus posted:

Is it possible to get an invite to the chat channel for Rinori@Venomire?

Pseudoscorpion posted:

Oh, forgot to ask last time I posted, can someone add Pseudo@pseudoscorpion14 to TNG?

You're both invited.

CommissarMega posted:

Say, can anyone invite my klankrom to TheNextGooneration? It's D'maiel@mvctaravrelivs, by the way.

You're already in, your alts don't need an invite. :)

• Locked thread