Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Brownhat posted:

Yeah, I'm hoping for some Elesh Norn lovin' as well.

Last one I got had Entomb, Karador, Riku, Nekusar, SoFaF and Hanna. I want to move that Hanna but it's so gorgeous I can't bear to trade it away if I don't have one to replace it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Elyv posted:

Ugin's Nexus has to do with extra turns, I think that by itself automatically makes it mythic these days.

Magosi, the Waterveil, Search the City, and Time Sieve are rares that grant extra turns that were introduced after the mythic rarity. Still, 9 mythic rares do deal with extra turns, and it's never been below rare.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Magosi, the Waterveil, Search the City, and Time Sieve are rares that grant extra turns that were introduced after the mythic rarity. Still, 9 mythic rares do deal with extra turns, and it's never been below rare.

Time Sieve and Magosi were both printed right after the introduction of mythics, I don't think they'd hashed out exactly what they wanted to be mythic yet.

Fair point on Search the City, I forgot that card exists(I wish I could forget again).

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Count Bleck posted:

Ugin's Nexus is getting a spot in any EDH deck I have running Clever Impersonator and Phyrexian Metamorph in and I will not have you disrespect how awesome it is THANK YOU VERY MUCH :reject:

Just a heads-up, I hope you're not planning to get extra turns solely by legend-ruling them into the graveyard. Read that first ability closely...

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

LordSaturn posted:

Just a heads-up, I hope you're not planning to get extra turns solely by legend-ruling them into the graveyard. Read that first ability closely...

gently caress.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Alris posted:

Agreed, it's ridiculous but realistically what is the answer?

Play the :20bux: red one-drops deck without card sleeves and crush the $500 Abzan deck that's not prepared for it. :smaug:

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Brownhat posted:

Yeah, I'm hoping for some Elesh Norn lovin' as well.

There's fanfic of that, I'm sure.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Count Bleck posted:

gently caress.
This is actually why that clause is on the card to boot.

R&D screws you again!

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
I feel like standard has been 500-1000 dollar decks since like... Jund days or even earlier.

KillarySwank
Jun 24, 2013

Lemon Flavoured

Vital Signs posted:

I feel like standard has been 500-1000 dollar decks since like... Jund days or even earlier.

That's usually the case, unless we're in an environment where mono-coloured archetypes thrive.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Zemyla posted:

"Come closer, darling. Let me compleat every ounce of your body~"

:stonk:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

alphabrawl posted:

Also, is selling cards on the convention center floor a thing? I have a binder full of lands I want to get rid of.

Yeah there's plenty of guys walking around with cash to spare. Nobody really cares but don't be too obvious about it. You can always offer to step out of the room if you're worried but that's just a hassle.

Being caught getting handed a $20 is as easy as saying its for lunch but $200 on the other hand..

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Count Bleck posted:

~uguu

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

Entropic posted:

Play the :20bux: red one-drops deck without card sleeves and crush the $500 Abzan deck that's not prepared for it. :smaug:

Drown in sorrow. Good day.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

joats posted:

I've run into one person running that card the past two FNMs, honestly.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

bhsman posted:

I've run into one person running that card the past two FNMs, honestly.

Isn't it the obvious sideboard answer to Rabblemaster?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Zemyla posted:

Elesh Norn resulted in quite a bit of fanfiction for M:tG, actually. It is as horrifying as you'd expect.

She really does have a fantastic visual design, though. Wizards, please print her and her faction on more cards so that I can have a Mono-Machine Orthodoxy deck, tia. (Seriously that Rout from Conspiracy is gorgeous).

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Rinkles posted:

It is but ironically I haven't seen a lot of Aggro until only recently; as the meta becomes more and more centered around midrange Siege Rhino builds, I imagine people will prioritize it even less.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Rinkles posted:

I usually just laugh when people play Rabblemaster. Then I cast Anger of the Gods.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I really like Tom Ross's logic regarding replacing the Rabblemasters with Hordeling Outburst as a meta-call against decks heavy on individual removal, whereas Rabblemaster allows you to bait out the sweeper and then re-set fairly quickly.

EDIT: The fact that Outburst turns Denizen into a 4/1 while triggering Swiftspear's Prowess is great, and following it up with Hall of Triump is great.

redux
Apr 23, 2008
To the surprise of no one, MTGO just blew up again. No one can log in!

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

redux posted:

To the surprise of no one, MTGO just blew up again. No one can log in!

bah go figure it's the only night I've had in weeks with free time to draft.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Speaking about GP New Jersey, how easy should it be to just show up, buy a Brainstorm mat, and leave?

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Count Bleck posted:

gently caress.

The only way I could find to go infinite with it is to stuff it in a Prototype Portal, and then sac the clones. If the second ability were worded like Academy Rector's, then that wouldn't work either...

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

bhsman posted:

I really like Tom Ross's logic regarding replacing the Rabblemasters with Hordeling Outburst as a meta-call against decks heavy on individual removal, whereas Rabblemaster allows you to bait out the sweeper and then re-set fairly quickly.

EDIT: The fact that Outburst turns Denizen into a 4/1 while triggering Swiftspear's Prowess is great, and following it up with Hall of Triump is great.

What list is this? I've heard of it, but I have yet to see Ross's list.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Madmarker posted:

What list is this? I've heard of it, but I have yet to see Ross's list.

18 Mountain

4 Foundry Street Denizen
4 Akroan Crusader
4 Monastery Swiftspear
4 Firedrinker Satyr
3 Frenzied Goblin
1 Arena Athlete

2 Hordeling Outburst
4 Stoke the Flames
2 Lightning Strike
4 Titan's Strength
4 Dragon Mantle
4 Hammerhand
1 Coordinated Assault
1 Hall of Triumph

SB: 3 Peak Eruption
SB: 2 Lightning Strike
SB: 4 Searing Blood
SB: 4 Eidolon of the Great Revel
SB: 2 Magma Spray

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

GoutPatrol posted:

Speaking about GP New Jersey, how easy should it be to just show up, buy a Brainstorm mat, and leave?

Super easy if you register and drop!

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

bhsman posted:

18 Mountain

4 Foundry Street Denizen
4 Akroan Crusader
4 Monastery Swiftspear
4 Firedrinker Satyr
3 Frenzied Goblin
1 Arena Athlete

2 Hordeling Outburst
4 Stoke the Flames
2 Lightning Strike
4 Titan's Strength
4 Dragon Mantle
4 Hammerhand
1 Coordinated Assault
1 Hall of Triumph

SB: 3 Peak Eruption
SB: 2 Lightning Strike
SB: 4 Searing Blood
SB: 4 Eidolon of the Great Revel
SB: 2 Magma Spray

Yup, this certainly looks like a Tom Ross list, give him a bag of draft leavings and he'll top 8 an Open.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Madmarker posted:

Yup, this certainly looks like a Tom Ross list, give him a bag of draft leavings and he'll top 8 an Open.

He's won a few Opens, too. :v:

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

LordSaturn posted:

The only way I could find to go infinite with it is to stuff it in a Prototype Portal, and then sac the clones. If the second ability were worded like Academy Rector's, then that wouldn't work either...

The original nonbo wouldn't go infinite either, it's just a convenient way to trigger it a few extra times... which you can still do, as long as you can find some way of sacrifing all your nexuses in the same turn. It doesn't prevent you from getting an extra turn, it just stops you from beginning it. I think there are a few additional ways to actually go infinite, but they're all a lot clunkier than Prototype Portal.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

joats posted:

Can we not do this

Its embarrassing

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Lord Of Texas posted:

Can we not do this

Its embarrassing

Its almost as if people talk about the game more than they play it. :iiam:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

NumotTheNummy aka Kenji trying to do one of his famous 24 hour streams has been cockblocked by MTGO events being down with no ETA on coming back up.

In other news rain is wet and the sky is blue.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Hey this article about Lee Shi Tian on gatheringmagic.com is pretty good:

http://www.gatheringmagic.com/adriennereynolds-101714-whats-in-a-name-lee-shi-tian-and-the-umbrella-revolution/

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

bhsman posted:

He's won a few Opens, too. :v:

And two Invitationals back to back...

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

GoutPatrol posted:

After Friday every single vendor will be selling them. People who don't want them sell to vendors ASAP since the buy price typically drops each day of the GP.

ninja: parking is free at this convention center, if that's what you were wondering about

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

That's really good and interesting. I had forgotten he came from HK and I will be calling his deck umbrella revolution from now on. That's the type of interesting writing I enjoy, the complete opposite of AJ Sacher's first world problems whining we laughed about way back.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Count Bleck posted:

I love that you said "ounce" rather than "inch". That makes it vastly creepier.

:stonklol:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Is the planeswalker points site not working for anyone else today?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0ivQDZx1BM

The dude with the Alpha Lotus had it graded at 9.5. I don't think there is an actual 10 to be given out, so dude's making cash. But let's not forget he could have made a lot MORE cash by not opening Alpha-Unlimited sealed product and just selling it as is.

• Locked thread