Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seven Force
Nov 9, 2005

WARNING!

BOSS IS APPROACHING!!!

SEVEN FORCE

--ACTIONS--

SHITPOSTING

LOVE LOVE DANCING

Devour or Fire posted:

You probably think that's funny, but the only people who are going to keep supporting this game to any degree after release will be the ones who appreciate a platform that lets them easily mod in their own lovely homegrown yiff gypsies to use on erp servers for only fifteen twentyish bucks.

I think it's funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Bitter Beard posted:

I don't understand the anger at the devs all of a sudden? Did they make fun of Goons or tell them they were not special fat pancakes or something?

When did the attitude change that everybody thought the game was going to turn into poo poo, I think I missed that meeting.

If you look very carefully you'll see all the negative shitposting is about 5 people. Goons don't hate Starbound - a small group of goons have taken it upon themselves to make it look like that.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

DatonKallandor posted:

Goons don't hate Starbound - a small group of goons have taken it upon themselves to make it look like that.

Nah it's because there's nothing to shitpost about. Because the game is still in beta after a massive pre-order launch a year or two ago.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Nah it's because there's nothing to shitpost about. Because the game is still in beta after a massive pre-order launch a year or two ago.

Its been ten months, but it's amusing that it seems to inflate by a year in people's perception every month or so.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

not to mention the two years of work that was done before release. what we have right now is 2 years and 10 months of effort.
but dont worry there is a patch coming REALLY REALLY SOON so we can see what amazing things they've be able to do in that 10 months.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Kly posted:

not to mention the two years of work that was done before release. what we have right now is 2 years and 10 months of effort.
but dont worry there is a patch coming REALLY REALLY SOON so we can see what amazing things they've be able to do in that 10 months.
:laffo:

Why don't you try that attitude in the game dev thread, see where it gets you

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Supernorn posted:

Its been ten months, but it's amusing that it seems to inflate by a year in people's perception every month or so.

Starting to think those preorders should have come bundled with a bottle of Vyvanse and Adderall.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
i mean seriously its been like what 3 years since the last patch?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

pwnyXpress posted:

i mean seriously its been like what 3 years since the last patch?

My father recalls the day fondly but we all just smile and nod about this "starbound" he must have imagined.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Supernorn posted:

We say you took four months off to move your team to London to root around in trash cans, you say you're hard at work every day, whatever. We use hyperbole, you lie through your teeth, neither side is fully trustworthy, it doesn't matter because nobody follows the thread.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Devour or Fire posted:

We say you took four months off to move your team to London to root around in trash cans, you say you're hard at work every day, whatever. We use hyperbole, you lie through your teeth, neither side is fully trustworthy, it doesn't matter because nobody follows the thread.
drat dude you need to chill out a bit

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
I mean, a normal person could literally see the progress on the website and test it themselves every day if they didn't believe it was happening. But on the other hand, it's way less effort to insult the developers and angrily poo poo post in the thread.

So obviously, you can see the conundrum here.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Chucklefish, did you cheat on Devour or Fire?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Hello, and welcome to Let's Play Starbound with me, Oddium. The LP rules say to wait six months until after a game has come out, but Starbound isn't technically out (??) so I figured it would be okay here. Okay let's go !! :spooky:

Chapter One:

I'll be playing as a Super Sentai girl with Hellboy's Good Samaritan. The Good Samaritan fires really slowly but I manage to kill this Bulbasaur.

Then it starts to rain and I mine some coal.

The coal leads to a cave with nothing in it.

I don't know what I'm supposed to do so I go back to my ship. It turns out I need :gowron: 1000 pixels :gowron: and something called a fragment core (x20)

My quest book says to make a crafting table so I craft up some wooden planks to make one. But you don't need planks. You don't need any wood. You need pixels. :effort:

The only way to get pixels seems to be to grind them out. Well we head back down and fight the other Pocket Monsters on this planet, which actually do attack. They hit very hard but I've got the GS on my side.

A lot to go over here. To the right is some sort of pagan worship site. In front of me is a Spock's casket only white and floating. Very futuristic. In stark juxtaposition is a conventional RPG treasure chest. Okay.

Anyway the casket is full of poison and it almost kills me. The RPG chest is full of a kiwi ?? Which doesn't heal me. I don't know how to heal actually. This is a problem in a second.

Galloping gators, just off frame was something actually interesting. Zounds.

We make our way over to some late 20th-early 21st century camping equipment, including big wooden crates. Anyway a bird named Dive flies out of the cave and kills me and I lose my coal.

Okay join me next time in Chapter 2

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

OwlFancier posted:

Chucklefish, did you cheat on Devour or Fire?

Devour or Fire is a bitch - the dog cheated on her.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I like oddium's post. Let's have more of that.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

The crafting table takes 35 wooden planks, and you know that because the tooltips display immediatly when you mousover an item to craft, which you had to do in order to select the item in the first place.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Magmarashi posted:

The crafting table takes 35 wooden planks, and you know that because the tooltips display immediatly when you mousover an item to craft, which you had to do in order to select the item in the first place.

Thank you for the information, I will clarify this is Chapter 2.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

looking forward to more of this LP of the nightly build so we can "literally see the progress" theyve made in the last year. (sorry i mean last 10 months and 14 days, i know how people hate the extreme hyperbole of an extra 2 months)
like the nice new background and new player model and three extra hotbar slots.

Kly fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 17, 2014

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Mokinokaro posted:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Kly posted:

No way man! Look at all these huge changes and improvements coming in this next update thats just around the corner!
http://pastebin.com/jnZfRNL4

Holy crap, looks like ignoring the game and its development for a while may have paid off.
I don't think I've played the game in about 8 months.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Supernorn posted:

I'm sorry, I don't give enough of a poo poo to remember exact dates.

EDIT: You guys announced this back in '04, right?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Supernorn posted:

Facts? In the Starbound thread? :frogout:

Devour or Fire posted:

The sheer amount of spite you have towards Chucklefish is some Gamergate-grade stupidity. We get it. You don't have any experience working in the games industry, or probably software development of any field, and you like to remind people you're clueless as gently caress and angry because a new developer isn't hammering out a game in a timeframe they originally wanted or you expected to be set in stone. Go outside and get some air.

oddium posted:

Hello, and welcome to Let's Play Starbound with me, Oddium. The LP rules say to wait six months until after a game has come out, but Starbound isn't technically out (??) so I figured it would be okay here. Okay let's go !! :spooky:

Okay join me next time in Chapter 2

Wonderful. :allears:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

back in my day we went uphill both ways in the snow just to see a single starbound update

with no feet

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Deakul posted:

Holy crap, looks like ignoring the game and its development for a while may have paid off.
I don't think I've played the game in about 8 months.

Shouldn't have waited so long! Apparently everything they've done is included in the nightly builds so you coulda been playing with all the sweet new chair fixes for MONTHS.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Kly posted:

Shouldn't have waited so long! Apparently everything they've done is included in the nightly builds so you coulda been playing with all the sweet new chair fixes for MONTHS.

Son of a BITCH. :negative:

Seven Force
Nov 9, 2005

WARNING!

BOSS IS APPROACHING!!!

SEVEN FORCE

--ACTIONS--

SHITPOSTING

LOVE LOVE DANCING

Just wait till you can sit in the chairs backwards!

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Supernorn posted:

I mean, a normal person could literally see the progress on the website and test it themselves every day if they didn't believe it was happening. But on the other hand, it's way less effort to insult the developers and angrily poo poo post in the thread.

So obviously, you can see the conundrum here.

Ah, the same response you gave when people were asking why you never posted updates or changelogs on the steam community. That went over well.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

Looking forward to this, I expect chapter two promptly

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Everyone should be playing Team Fortress 2 instead anyway. I don't understandu why there's infighting in this thread.

Baron von Eevl posted:

'buds' are worth about $35. That top left hat, the burning flames one, goes for about $19,000.

It's an M. Bison hat with a little fire circling around it. It has no impact on gameplay.

What are you gonna make near 20K off of in Starbound? Oh, that's right, NOTHING. :smuggo:

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Ragequit posted:

:yikes: Almost having second thoughts about goofing around with the friendly, healthy folks in the chucklefish defense force.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Ragequit posted:

what in the actual gently caress is this even supposed to mean

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Oh wait I think I got it, it's because chucklefish has a dog, and devour or fire is a woman, therefore its a play on words, by calling devour or fire a bitch, and the chucklefish dog cheated on her

im lolling pretty hard now that i get it, i am rofling so much, what a masterstroke, what a burn

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

You snark now but in a month the quality of jokes will drop to that level.

Starfrown.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Looks like someone got..... starbowned!

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Video games are serious business apparently.

oddium posted:

Great stuff

Let's talk about this more instead.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Oddium will your multiplayer LP feature guest appearances from the thread? I think that could be a great way to get your readers involved!

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure what exactly chuckles did in between the week after beta was released and now because I haven't booted up or cared about starbound in the slightest since then.

edit: starclowned

Syenite fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Oct 17, 2014

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
7 Months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Devour or Fire posted:

You probably think that's funny