Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

His real name is Ben Kuchera, hope this helps, OP.

Nnnnoooooooo..!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Million Ghosts posted:

You're the only person who's opinions I respect on lovely JRPGs even if I ignore you and play them anyways. I am what's wrong with the industry.
I'm with you there, I just bought NAtURAL DOCtRINE :v:

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Don't dis Natty Doc.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Million Ghosts posted:

You're the only person who's opinions I respect on lovely JRPGs even if I ignore you and play them anyways. I am what's wrong with the industry.

same

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I need to get Natural Doctrine really badly, I'm just busy catching up on other bad RPGs first.

Look at that poo poo, it looks even more arcane than Unlimited Saga. I've got to have it.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
i was thinking of buying natty doc until i saw NIS on the trailer video and then i laughed loudly and declared i would wait till it was half the price which would happen before february of 2015

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Natty Doc looks more like an anime geometry problem than a game.

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011

Stelas posted:

I need to get Natural Doctrine really badly, I'm just busy catching up on other bad RPGs first.

Look at that poo poo, it looks even more arcane than Unlimited Saga. I've got to have it.

While it might look that way from the screenshot, it's no where near as cryptic as Unlimited Saga. The major thing that image is telling you is that the girl on the right is doing to die miserably(and probably net you a game over) unless she gets incredibly lucky.

First off, the leveling system in ND is pretty simple and you can freely switch what you put your points into on the formation screen in the world map based on what you think you'll need in the upcoming map, compared to US's arcane way you build up your party.

ND also gives you a big tutorial dump that tells you most of the important facts about the basics you'd need to know about the game when going into the first cave area(which is directly after the initial tutorial area), and it's pretty easy to understand. I don't remember US doing something like that, just feebly trying to explain its messed up slot system before dumping you on your way, and I think even that was ignored if you picked certain characters.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I am really enjoying Tears to Tiara II. ImpAtom is right - your enjoyment rests heavily on how much you like the story because the game is as much a Visual Novel as it is anything else. Combat is fun and good, reminds me of Jeanne d'Arc more than other SRPGs, both in the aesthetic and how characters can transform and such. I don't normally play VN's so it's a bit jarring to be faced with a 20 minute story scene but once I realized that's what I was in for, I enjoyed it a lot more.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Levantine posted:

I am really enjoying Tears to Tiara II. ImpAtom is right - your enjoyment rests heavily on how much you like the story because the game is as much a Visual Novel as it is anything else. Combat is fun and good, reminds me of Jeanne d'Arc more than other SRPGs, both in the aesthetic and how characters can transform and such. I don't normally play VN's so it's a bit jarring to be faced with a 20 minute story scene but once I realized that's what I was in for, I enjoyed it a lot more.

Hmm... I did like Jeanne d"arc, but I really don't want to add to my backlog... Decisions, decisions.

Btw, PSP RPGs on Vita TV just don't look that good. Oh, and Sony took out the filtering options unfortunately for some reason :(.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
Will the new ps4 firmware add psx emulation, a problem which has been solved since the loving ps2, in or am I just gonna be shouting off a cliff for another year

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

hubris.height posted:

Will the new ps4 firmware add psx emulation, a problem which has been solved since the loving ps2, in or am I just gonna be shouting off a cliff for another year

Better hope playstation now expands like crazy soon, because emulation is a lot harder than you seem to think it is.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

Better hope playstation now expands like crazy soon, because emulation is a lot harder than you seem to think it is.

Lol ps one emulation is a thing that they have been doing since ps2 and the fact that they now use x86 architecture should mean it's even easier to get working considering they aren't programming it on a weird proprietary processor like cell or whatever the ps2 had

Like I'm no hardware pro but for an issue which was SOLVED on two generations of consoles to suddenly become more difficult is absolutely backwards and gently caress ps now I own my ps one games already

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Didn't the PS2 do its "emulation" by literally having a PS1 CPU on board which it normally use to handle some audio stuff or something?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

hubris.height posted:

Lol ps one emulation is a thing that they have been doing since ps2 and the fact that they now use x86 architecture should mean it's even easier to get working considering they aren't programming it on a weird proprietary processor like cell or whatever the ps2 had

Like I'm no hardware pro but for an issue which was SOLVED on two generations of consoles to suddenly become more difficult is absolutely backwards and gently caress ps now I own my ps one games already

Emulation is not something that can just be "solved". Especially with the infernal spaghetti code that is first-gen 3D games. The only reason it works on PS2 and PS3 is because they have elements of the same hardware. Software emulation can barely manage to get individual games working, let alone an entire library of console releases, and half the time there's often still one bug that just can't be tweaked out.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Zereth posted:

Didn't the PS2 do its "emulation" by literally having a PS1 CPU on board which it normally use to handle some audio stuff or something?

No. It was purely software. That's why the PS3 can emulate ps1 games too.

The PS3 used a PS2 cpu core to run games from that system which is why the feature was dropped to cut manufacturing costs.

And yes the ps1 emulation is still spotty enough to prevent a bunch of games from being released on PSN.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Emulation is not something that can just be "solved". Especially with the infernal spaghetti code that is first-gen 3D games. The only reason it works on PS2 and PS3 is because they have elements of the same hardware. Software emulation can barely manage to get individual games working, let alone an entire library of console releases, and half the time there's often still one bug that just can't be tweaked out.

wrong. ps3 uses connectix/vgs, a third party emulation program they bought after they sued them into going out of business

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/927750-playstation-3/faqs/50212 posted:

So what about PS1 software? Well, around 1999 or so, a company called Connectix
made the first PS1 emulator, called "Virtual Game Station", for the Macintosh.
Sony tried to sue the product out of existence but failed, since reverse
engineering is legal in the United States, but they ended up buying the product
from Connectix. The product lives on as the PS1 emulator in the PS3, and its
software compatibility has improved considerably.

e: mind you, this connectix software was written for mac (so probably power pc architecture) and ported over to x86 for windows software when they released that version so the work has already been loving done

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also, an important thing to remember is that some PS1 games just straight up cannot run on emulators. It's stupid, but I have at least one game that actively does not work on a PS2 or PS3. I cannot begin to imagine why this is the case, but if you're trying to play it on anything but an actual, proper PS1 it just cannot be done.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Mokinokaro posted:

No. It was purely software. That's why the PS3 can emulate ps1 games too.

The PS3 used a PS2 cpu core to run games from that system which is why the feature was dropped to cut manufacturing costs.

And yes the ps1 emulation is still spotty enough to prevent a bunch of games from being released on PSN.

The ps2 did ps1 entirely in hardware. The IOP is a PS1 on a chip, which is why it will never be possible to run ps1 games off hard disks or USB on one.

Dragonatrix posted:

Also, an important thing to remember is that some PS1 games just straight up cannot run on emulators. It's stupid, but I have at least one game that actively does not work on a PS2 or PS3. I cannot begin to imagine why this is the case, but if you're trying to play it on anything but an actual, proper PS1 it just cannot be done.

Most emulators will sacrifice accuracy if it means getting a popular game working sooner. This often causes problems later on when someone complains about some obscure title no played that did something rear end backwards but somehow still managed to work on the actual hardware.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Oct 17, 2014

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

dis astranagant posted:

The ps2 did ps1 entirely in hardware. The IOP is a PS1 on a chip, which is why it will never be possible to run ps1 games off hard disks or USB on one.

citation needed

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_2_hardware

does not appear that any of the hardware is physical ps1 hardware used for emulation

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

dis astranagant posted:

Most emulators will sacrifice accuracy if it means getting a popular game working sooner. This often causes problems later on when someone complains about some obscure title no played that did something rear end backwards but somehow still managed to work on the actual hardware.

Oh, yeah, I'm not complaining about that example or anything (it's stupid obscure for a reason; it's fuckin' bad) just that it's definitely not perfect by any means.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

hubris.height posted:

citation needed

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_2_hardware

does not appear that any of the hardware is physical ps1 hardware used for emulation

Scroll down to the IO Processor, it literally says:

quote:

CPU Core: Original PlayStation CPU (MIPS R3000A clocked at 33.8688 MHz or 37.5 MHz)
Automatically underclocked to 33.8688 MHz to achieve hardware backwards compatibility with original PlayStation format games.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Scroll down to the IO Processor, it literally says:

mea culpa

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yep. Follows in the long tradition of using the previous generation's CPU as some coprocessor (traditionally the SPU but Sony makes actual audio hardware).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Also Hardware A is not Hardware B. If they want to get PSX emulation working on PS4, they have to start over from scratch.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also Hardware A is not Hardware B. If they want to get PSX emulation working on PS4, they have to start over from scratch.

Well, it's on x86 so they could probably find an existing emulator to buy. pSX is a likely target since it's a one man show with a reputation for accuracy. There would still be some porting involved but the hard work is mostly done.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
"From scratch" is a big exaggeration. As long as they still have the source code, which they should, it should be relatively easy to get it working on different hardware.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

oblomov posted:

Hmm... I did like Jeanne d"arc, but I really don't want to add to my backlog... Decisions, decisions.

Btw, PSP RPGs on Vita TV just don't look that good. Oh, and Sony took out the filtering options unfortunately for some reason :(.

Wait til you don't have quite the backlog. It's a game where you spend more time reading than playing (at least early on) so if that sounds unattractive, skip it. I rather like the story and the characters and the battles are fun when they come up. You eventually get the ability to go back and grind if you want to do that too so there's gameplay to be had.

EDIT: What is Playstation Now if not emulation? I've been curious about that since I read about it a while back. It's "streaming" but isn't the system still emulating the game? I don't really understand what it is.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

As long as they still have the source code

:rip: Ever seeing a port of Panzer Dragoon Saga to anything.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:

Levantine posted:

EDIT: What is Playstation Now if not emulation? I've been curious about that since I read about it a while back. It's "streaming" but isn't the system still emulating the game? I don't really understand what it is.

No, your control inputs are being sent over the internet to hardware elsewhere that is running the game and you are getting a video stream back.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

wateyad posted:

No, your control inputs are being sent over the internet to hardware elsewhere that is running the game and you are getting a video stream back.

That's actually pretty fascinating! I wondered if that might be the case but I had no idea technology has gotten to that point. Still, not sure how I feel about the prices given I could buy a used copy of pretty much any game on the list and just own it.

WiiFitForWindows8
Oct 14, 2013

Xinlum posted:

Everyone should play through Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines at least twice. Once as a general playthrough, another as a Malkavian.

VTMB is basically a western style RPG where stats and picking a class actually changes a lot about the game. The basic breakdown of the game is that you are a brand new vampire in LA. You get sent on bitch missions by the Camarila, a group of vamps who's entire purpose is to make sure that a random vampire doesn't gently caress up and have human's discover they exist. They are also pretty corrupt so you have several choices later in the game as to which of the factions you want to side with. The general plot is almost like a mystery story has you try and find out what's really going on and who is lying about whatever. In fact, most of the side mission tend to have you solving little mini-mysteries, like why the homeless population has a mysterious blood-born disease, or who went on a rampage and slaughtered some dudes on a pier.

Apparently the game is based off a table-top game and sticks with the source material pretty faithfully. For example, the Masquerade refers to the fact that you can't go making it obvious you're a vampire. If a regular human sees you sprinting down the street faster than a car, they'll freak out and call the cops. You get 5 chances. As you blow your cover more and more, you start attracting vampire hunters and after the fifth fuckup its game over.

It's one of the rare games where picking a class actually changes the game a lot. For example, your class pretty much defines how most characters will react to you. For example, play as a pretty boy ventrue and those anarchists down the street won't care to much for you at first. Play as a ugly rear end Nosferatu and you can't even travel outside the sewers without racking up masquerade violations.Play as the spell casting Tremere and get special treatment from fellow Tremere's as you learn blood secrets.

It's apparently like Dues Ex only without the poo poo UI. It even has FPS elements where switching to a gun puts you in FPS mode and it plays just like a shooter (but everyone knows guns are for wussies, go melee baby). Stats are all important and there's a gently caress ton of them. Instead of leveling up you just get some experience points after solving a quest to spend however you want. There's even cool skills like computer hacking and lockpicking.

The Malkavian class is so cool it gets its own section. You generally only play one on your second playthrough. Malkavians are crazy rear end bonkers insane. You get wacky dialogue choices, can see past the plot, hear random whispers, and have vibrant conversations with stop signs. As an added bonus almost every NPC in the game goes "oh poo poo a loving Malkavian" when you meet them because it means they get to figure out that you mean Therese when you say you are looking for the obsidian daughter of Janus.

The game is easily my favorite RPG ever and as a bonus for horror fans it contains a section so loving terrifying it puts modern horror games to shame.

I second every part of this except that Malks are a poo poo class and outperformed by everyone. The single good thing about Malkies would be that people all take the time to comment on it. The tutorial actually laughs at you for being a malkavian so.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

ummm, yeah. bloodlines is a bad game, gameplay-wise. thats not why anyone recommends it, ever.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
Also Malks are crazy powerful, it's either their level 4 or 5 class skill just destroys pretty much everything.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

thats the level five ability. the problem is that it is just an inferior version of level 5 dominate.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

WiiFitForWindows8 posted:

I second every part of this except that Malks are a poo poo class and outperformed by everyone. The single good thing about Malkies would be that people all take the time to comment on it. The tutorial actually laughs at you for being a malkavian so.

Well, theoretically, on a second playthrough you'd know how to optimize a character. So you'd be able to make up for your mechanical weaknesses.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Is there any Lords of the Fallen chatter anywhere in Games? I've been looking at it occasionally, but having zero luck using Search to find any goon talk on it.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

there's a psn sale going on:

Are any of Time and Eternity, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory, and Battle Princess of Arcadias worth 7$?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cake Attack posted:

there's a psn sale going on:

Are any of Time and Eternity, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory, and Battle Princess of Arcadias worth 7$?

Time and Eternity isn't worth -$7, Neptunia might be depending on your tolerance for anime, videogame jokes and grinding, and I hope Arcadias might be since I just bought it.