Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Time and Eternity is a step below Dragon's Lair as far as fun, interaction and gameplay go.

It's honestly a bunch of animation cells added into a halfassed 3d world poorly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Cake Attack posted:

there's a psn sale going on:

Are any of Time and Eternity, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory, and Battle Princess of Arcadias worth 7$?

A friend who has played Time and Eternity assures me that it is really bad. Neptunia V is utility-grade extruded anime fanservice JRPG product, but reasonably playable if you're in the market for that. Don't know anything about Battle Princess of Arcadias except that it got so-so reviews.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

All I know about Battle Princess is that it's supposedly kinda short and its artstyle looks a bit flash-like. What's so bad about it?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cake Attack posted:

there's a psn sale going on:

Are any of Time and Eternity, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory, and Battle Princess of Arcadias worth 7$?

gently caress no, not really and only if you're really desperate for a stiff and generic beat 'em up.

HGH posted:

All I know about Battle Princess is that it's supposedly kinda short and its artstyle looks a bit flash-like. What's so bad about it?

It's just... bland and divided into three kinds of combat: An okay beat 'em up segment and two weird 'army battles' which have goofy unnecessary mechanics which don't really aid the game.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Who the hell balanced Ar nosurge? Random enemies only get remotely entertaining on the highest possible difficulty, but Zill is kicking my rear end even on Hard -- mostly because she attacks more often than I can guard, which is pretty bullshit if you ask me.

e: And of course, she's a cakewalk on Normal.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Oct 18, 2014

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

WiiFitForWindows8 posted:

I second every part of this except that Malks are a poo poo class and outperformed by everyone. The single good thing about Malkies would be that people all take the time to comment on it. The tutorial actually laughs at you for being a malkavian so.

Malks can punch dudes pretty loving hard. In practice I think they're best played as a more combat-centric sneak picking off enemies one-by-one with stealth and control.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Obfuscate is the second best discipline in the game and dementation is also pretty good. Malks are fine game play wise and Bloodlines is an easy game anyway. The amount of new dialogue for Malks is really overstated. Most named characters have a line or two that is basically "loving Malkavians/crazy people" and then go through their normal dialogue. The dialogue options Malks get are about 5% cool foreshadowing and 95% monkey cheese bullshit, too.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I started playing Dark Cloud again earlier as I've never actually beaten it, and got an amazing run of luck. First floor, 2 Big Chests right next to each other. First one is unlocked and yields a Bone Sabre, second one I disarm the trap through trial and error and it yields a Shamshir. Now I'm doing triple the damage with no penalty to weapon endurance.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

gently caress no, not really and only if you're really desperate for a stiff and generic beat 'em up.

i am curious, what is so bad about Time and Eternity that it gets a gently caress no while Neptunia can't muster up more than not really?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cake Attack posted:

i am curious, what is so bad about Time and Eternity that it gets a gently caress no while Neptunia can't muster up more than not really?

It's just a remarkably bad game.

The thing they tried to do is have 2D artwork and use it in place of models or sprites and it just doesn't work. It looks incredibly bad and lazy. The combat system suffers from weird input lag and combat lag so it doesn't even live up to the bare minimum of "Dragon's Lair: The RPG." It also has basically no depth whatsoever.

It's repetitive, grindy and boring, the plot isn't even bad in a fun-to-laugh-at-way, it's just awful. The only redeeming feature it has is a few good songs.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

It's just a remarkably bad game.

The thing they tried to do is have 2D artwork and use it in place of models or sprites and it just doesn't work. It looks incredibly bad and lazy. The combat system suffers from weird input lag and combat lag so it doesn't even live up to the bare minimum of "Dragon's Lair: The RPG." It also has basically no depth whatsoever.

It's repetitive, grindy and boring, the plot isn't even bad in a fun-to-laugh-at-way, it's just awful. The only redeeming feature it has is a few good songs.

Wow, I think I saw a whole ten frames between them during that fight. Such a pity really, because I kinda like the 2D-on-3D artstyle in general. Mostly from growing up on Breath of Fire IV.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Jeez, that looks like it was made on a 7.50$ budget.
Well, at least Patrick Seitz makes for a silly narrator/previewer.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
Time and Eternity plays like one of those "games" youd find as an extra on a DVD for a movie. Neptunia at least has something resembling an RPG, and even can get creative from time to time.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'
I remember watching a video review for Time and Eternity where the dude doing the review said that once you get past a certain point in the game it gets a lot better, but I think he had a FFXIII's 20 hour tutorial length in mind and really if you can't get someone interested in the literal first half of the game then what the gently caress are you doing?

Having played a couple of chapters of the first Neptunia, that game is complete garbage. At least with games like Mugen Souls and the Guided Fate Paradox the gameplay is fast enough and fun enough that you can overlook how unbelievable loving boring all the cutscenes are, Neptunia has terrible dungeon design, a really slow and agonising combat system, sub par graphical fidelity, it's really a maelstrom of poo poo through and through.

And again, this is coming from someone who liked Mugen Souls

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Polite Tim posted:

I remember watching a video review for Time and Eternity where the dude doing the review said that once you get past a certain point in the game it gets a lot better, but I think he had a FFXIII's 20 hour tutorial length in mind and really if you can't get someone interested in the literal first half of the game then what the gently caress are you doing?

Having played a couple of chapters of the first Neptunia, that game is complete garbage. At least with games like Mugen Souls and the Guided Fate Paradox the gameplay is fast enough and fun enough that you can overlook how unbelievable loving boring all the cutscenes are, Neptunia has terrible dungeon design, a really slow and agonising combat system, sub par graphical fidelity, it's really a maelstrom of poo poo through and through.

The gameplay of the Neptunia sequels is completely different and much better. Not amazing mind you, but there's a reason the first Neptunia got remade for the Vita.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Polite Tim posted:

Mugen Souls is literally based on the engine of the later Neptunia games. Dungeon design, combat, ect. It's hard to be worse than the first Neptunia though.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
To this day Unlimited SaGa still completely baffles me. I brought out my PS2 and played it for an hour and still had no idea what I was doing.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

ImpAtom posted:

Mugen Souls is literally based on the engine of the later Neptunia games. Dungeon design, combat, ect. It's hard to be worse than the first Neptunia though.

Yeah, I can't quite put my finger on why i like it and not neptunia since they're so similar, but i guess its the Disgaea-lite elements what with levelling up weapons etc.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The gameplay of the Neptunia sequels is completely different and much better. Not amazing mind you, but there's a reason the first Neptunia got remade for the Vita.

Is it worth picking up the latest game then if I despised the first one?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Polite Tim posted:

The first one is lovely bad, the others are kind of boring. Still, if you liked Mugen Souls...

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Polite Tim posted:

Yeah, I can't quite put my finger on why i like it and not neptunia since they're so similar, but i guess its the Disgaea-lite elements what with levelling up weapons etc.

Do you like fanservice of both girls and video games with gameplay similar to Mugen Souls and the occasional actually funny moment drowned by some creepy stuff? If so, go for it.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Buy Senran Kagura instead, OP.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I liked Mugen Souls Z's music. And English dub. And it was fun. It also didn't seem to take itself too seriously. I distinctly recall one of the character's quotes was "Welcome to die" which was enough to make me love it.

Plus there is a character there who is 29 but is constantly referred to as "old man" and even has stereotypical old man quotes like "get off my lawn@!" It's like the developers, or at least the localizers, read the minds of everyone who posts on forums like these. I've read posts exactly like that on here many times. "Once a JRPG Character is over 25 they're packed off to the Senior Citizen Home" and the like.

Shame about that game-breaking glitch. That was some bullshit so I just sold my copy already after beating it because there's no way to beat the post-game without the Mugen Field.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Polite Tim posted:

It depends. I'd say look up a video on youtube or something, the first one is pretty much an outlier at this point. This is basically the tutorial here.

NikkolasKing posted:

Shame about that game-breaking glitch. That was some bullshit so I just sold my copy already after beating it because there's no way to beat the post-game without the Mugen Field.

It took them like... 3 months to patch that? 4 months? These localization induced bugs always take forever to fix, if they get fixed that is.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Do you like fanservice of both girls and video games with gameplay similar to Mugen Souls and the occasional actually funny moment drowned by some creepy stuff? If so, go for it.

I've completely gone off the story style of these games. I'm playing the Guided Fate Paradox at the moment and just skipping every single cutscene because I don't care about the boring story. If the actual gameplay itself is reasonably good I'm in. Case in point, as well as Mugen Souls, I also quite liked Star Ocean 4 and although its not a bad game, Ni No Kuni's story was very bland but the gameplay was good enough to ignore that

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Polite Tim posted:

[...] and although its not a bad game, Ni No Kuni's story was very bland but the gameplay was good enough to ignore that

Did... did we play the same Ni no Kuni?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Polite Tim posted:

Ni No Kuni's story was very bland but the gameplay was good enough to ignore that

please do not troll in the RPG thread

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Polite Tim posted:

I've completely gone off the story style of these games. I'm playing the Guided Fate Paradox at the moment and just skipping every single cutscene because I don't care about the boring story. If the actual gameplay itself is reasonably good I'm in. Case in point, as well as Mugen Souls, I also quite liked Star Ocean 4 and although its not a bad game, Ni No Kuni's story was very bland but the gameplay was good enough to ignore that

Guided Fate Paradox seriously has one of the most tedious and boring stories I've ever seen. A cutscene after ever loving floor was just ridiculous.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Haha, I'm one of those people that played all through Ni No Kuni and did not mind the gameplay. I have no idea why I didn't mind it either, I think I was just in a deep depression at the time or something and that TRUMPET everytime you reappaered on the world map always brightened my day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpR9fPY6y4Q

HGH posted:

To this day Unlimited SaGa still completely baffles me. I brought out my PS2 and played it for an hour and still had no idea what I was doing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1brcx4bDoFY here ya go, ~80 minutes of youtube that will prepare you!!!

Speaking of Saga games, I think I want to replay Saga Frontier 2 again sometime. I was listening to its soundtrack this weekend and forgot it had one of my favorite battle themes of the PSX era: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SepIcjoSkwY

But then I think about the Battle of South Moundtop and just say gently caress no, never again

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 19, 2014

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly

Rascyc posted:

But then I think about the Battle of South Moundtop and just say gently caress no, never again
ahaha, yep.

Why does the game go from very, very easy to very, very hard in the span of like 2 scenarios?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Chef Boyardee posted:

Why does the game go from very, very easy to very, very hard in the span of like 2 scenarios?

Because it's a SaGa game, the hallmark of which is literally "if you grind your stats out to max, the final boss is still a battle against the RNG unless you use weird exploits like the Chainsaw or Machine Gun Longbow Claudia."

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I never beat that loving Egg :argh:

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Guided Fate Paradox seriously has one of the most tedious and boring stories I've ever seen. A cutscene after ever loving floor was just ridiculous.

Which is why I'm glad they allow you to skip cutscenes. I just finished AC: Liberation HD and they make you watch their boring cutscenes every. drat. time

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I never beat that loving Egg :argh:

TBH the only thing making it hard is all the LP damage attacks and there's equipment that blocks that.

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007
So, picked up NAtURAL DOCtRINE due to people mentioning it in this thread. I am totally loving it. Only like 4 missions in but I am really looking forward to picking up more characters. Sort of reminds me of the weird rts/rpg Confrontation in some ways.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

lokipunk posted:

So, picked up NAtURAL DOCtRINE due to people mentioning it in this thread. I am totally loving it. Only like 4 missions in but I am really looking forward to picking up more characters. Sort of reminds me of the weird rts/rpg Confrontation in some ways.

Natural Doctrine is a weird game. It's got a dumb plot, unnecessarily obtuse mechanics and it is ugly as sin. Yet it's honestly really fun if you're looking for what amounts to fantasy XCOM. The only real sticking point is the "any party death = game over" thing for like 90% of the game.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Prospects of a Xenosaga HD Collection look slim

That's depressing. I never really thought it would happen but havingmy hops dashed so boldly is a dick move, Tekken guy.

Where were these tens of thousands for REmake HD? I'm pretty sure there weren't tens of thousands for REmake HD. Or loving Umbrella Chronicles. Maybe Capcom just has mor emoney to throw around, I don't know.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

NikkolasKing posted:

Prospects of a Xenosaga HD Collection look slim

That's depressing. I never really thought it would happen but havingmy hops dashed so boldly is a dick move, Tekken guy.

Where were these tens of thousands for REmake HD? I'm pretty sure there weren't tens of thousands for REmake HD. Or loving Umbrella Chronicles. Maybe Capcom just has mor emoney to throw around, I don't know.

They didnt need a petition for resident evil, that series sells consistently. If you put out something with the Xenosaga name on it today the vast majority of people would not give a poo poo.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I didn't sign it because the only game in the Xenosaga series I could stomach playing again would be 3. I know it's got a cult following and all but I just don't think the series is any good as a whole.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Anyone familiar with Demon Gaze? I've gotten my fifth party member just shy of fighting Chronos and I chose an Assassin. I've been using him as a front-liner, dual wielding two Wind Daggers (+3 agi) and focusing on AGI/LUC. Is that a good way to handle it or should I be making a backliner with ranged weapons? The rest of my party is Paladin/Healer/Ranger (and Gazer, of course).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HereComesEverybody
Mar 2, 2007

a commodius vicus of recirculation back to Howth Castle and Environs.

The fact that I've never finished Secret of Mana has occupied some mental space of mine for YEARS. I finally got out my SNES and have been working through it, and progress is slow, but steady. I just got the second mana seed and fire spells for my party members.

Is the game as grind-y as I feel like it's going to be? Getting everyone proficient with all of the weapons and spamming spells to make sure my magic is as strong as possible for boss fights (which feels necessary given how hard they can hit) seems like it's going to take a while. It's nice that combat is so satisfying, though. Right now, things are progressing pretty naturally, but I imagine once my weapons and magic get up in the levels, it could get tedious bringing everyone up to speed.

I'm not a fan of equipment managing, either. The ring menu system is kinda clunky, and there's no way to tell how a given piece of equipment will help or hinder a party member until you buy it and see whether the stat goes up or down. Not a huge complaint, but more streamlined games have definitely spoiled me in this department.